Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LEFTFIELD

Default Re: LEFTFIELD

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I felt that way when I noticed how empty the sahara tent was during orbital.
    Time to retire, geezers.

Leftfield is my #1 act to see at Coachella so you all better be ready to rave face Sunday...
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggyduck View Post
    More laser beams is ALWAYS prefered to less laser beams. ALWAYS.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I felt that way when I noticed how empty the sahara tent was during orbital.
    Or perhaps it's the fact that Orbital was never that popular in the states to begin with. And Leftfield even less so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandemind View Post
    Time to retire, geezers.
    Leftfield's music still sounds fresh and relevant amongst all the generic electronica being produced right now. This will be a highlight for sure.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Nothing sounds less fresh and relevant than describing something as "fresh and relevant."
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Feather beat me to the punch. Of all the acts in the lineup, Leftfield is also the one I am most looking forward to. I expect most of the Orbital folks from last year will feel the same.

Here's hoping that John Lydon does a surprise live vocal performance for Open Up.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feather View Post
    Leftfield is my #1 act to see at Coachella so you all better be ready to rave face Sunday...

Ready.

old school

Leftfield is prob my number one act of the wknd, as far as acts i havent seen before go, and especially among sahara acts.. its gonna be fuckin EPIC.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    the orb in 09 was so depressing. the tent filled with candy ravers and teeny-hipsters. after 5 minutes it was almost less than half capacity.
    i left after 5min too, dont remember why, just that it was awful. that being said, i caught the last 15min of the set and it was one of the best things i heard all wknd..

old school

Quote Originally Posted by chickonmytip View Post
    leftfields billing is wack, coming all the way from UK, pioneers of vocal electronica, peers like crystal method calling them one of the best electronic bands, recently headlining Rockness and playing mainstage at electric picknic and billed under neon trees and blood beetroots? where is the justification
    the justification is simple. we are only getting half of Leftfield. the dj quit the duo after the euro fests last summer to focus on his own material. they are still doing the same full production though, and itll still be AMAZING! for the record, beetroots have played & headlined bigger shows, neon trees have one of the biggest songs in the US right now (ugh), and leftfield isnt half as known in america as orb or orbital.

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    the justification is simple. we are only getting half of Leftfield. the dj quit the duo after the euro fests last summer to focus on his own material. they are still doing the same full production though, and itll still be AMAZING! for the record, beetroots have played & headlined bigger shows, neon trees have one of the biggest songs in the US right now (ugh), and leftfield isnt half as known in america as orb or orbital.
    It has nothing to do with Daley moving on, and everything to do with the name recognition in the states at this point.

Hell, Underworld barely has draw in the states anymore and they're still releasing monster tunes. (I'm still disappointed in the way the crowd dissipated before their performance at Hard Haunted Mansion)

Kids these days just don't pay attention to their history.

c'mon children. let's build a little love for the weekend's only true legends.
    too bad so many of the upcoming attendees were in utero when leftfield defined dance music, but let's not let them relagate us to early doors insignificance like they did orbital last year!

Anybody have recent setlists??

This is the biggest electronic set of the weekend.

edit:

Song of Life
    Original
    Afro Left
    Storm 3000
    Release the Pressure
    Inspection (Check One)
    Afrika Shox
    Space Shanty
    Encore:
    Phat Planet

they all seem to be 6 to 8 songs long...
    Rhythm is a dancer.

they just canceled their NY gig recently. Coachella is still a go!

whaaat??? why?
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by nbvcide View Post
    i left after 5min too, dont remember why, just that it was awful. that being said, i caught the last 15min of the set and it was one of the best things i heard all wknd..
    The Orb in 2009 was one of the best Coachella sets I've ever seen. The vibe in the tent was perfect; it wasn't too packed or anything. People were leaving because it wasn't "omg face melting", which was totally fine with me. Ending the weekend with some of the grooviest ambient house/techno I've ever heard was bliss.

It's no surprise now that Coachella's (and other US festivals for that matter) billing priorities take popularity over historical relevance. It's been this way for years, and every year we bitch about it. It sucks, but what can you do. All of us would design the poster in all sorts of different ways if we could. But band agencies would bitch and moan and we may not sell tickets. Boo.

The fact of the matter at the end of the day though is that we still have Leftfield. (and had Orbital, The Orb, Plastikman, Aphex Twin, and many other rare electronic acts.)

(That being said, the fact that Orbital got less time than any other Sahara act on their day last year was downright ridiculous.)

Oh my.... the Orb in '09.that's where I first met Sophia and a lot of others... What a great set. I had space to groove and roll fat joints free of bros bumpin into me. Great times
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgasm View Post
    whaaat??? why?
    from their Facebook:
    Very sorry about having to cancel our gig in New York.These things do happen unfortunately. We are a working band and if anything goes wrong then it makes it almost impossible to carry our extensive production. I won't cut corners with the show so I made the decision cancel it. Lets hope it can happen some other time.

I read further (they commented on that post) and it said the reason was because shipping lcd screens from LA to NY is expensive...
    Rhythm is a dancer.

this article has me very confused...

http://www.inlandsocal.com/iguide/mu...es.5612e5.html

"I thought it was a great chance for us to show you what we can do," Neil Barnes said in a telephone interview from England last week.
    i was under the impression we were only getting half of Leftfield.... im probably just missing something here.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

^^I'm assuming he's talking about the other people involved in putting on the Leftfield live show, behind the scenes and stuff. It would sound pretty douchey if he said, "I thought it was a great chance for me to show you what I can do."

Mr. Muthafuckin' eXquire, Jonwayne - 8/5 - Los Globos
    FYF - 8/23, 8/24
    Ty Segall - 8/29 - The Echo
    Massive Attack - 10/16 - Greek Theatre
    Queens Of The Stone Age - 10/31 - The Forum
    OFWGKTA Carnival - 11/8
    Coachella '15 - 4/10-4/12

yeah.. i guess i was just hoping.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

I'm confused. Is only one of them going to perform? I haven't been following this thread, and it could impact my decision should a conflict present itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    I'm confused. Is only one of them going to perform? I haven't been following this thread, and it could impact my decision should a conflict present itself.
    This is what to expect:

Neil Barnes with original vocalists Djum Djum, Earl 16 and Cheshire Cat plus Adam Wren (keyboards), Kwes Sey (keyboards and computers) Jess Mills (vocals) and Sebastian Beresford on drums, replacing Paul Daley who is working on other recording projects.

can't wait for the legendary Leftfield sound system!

Quote Originally Posted by brokenDREAMS View Post
    This is what to expect:

Neil Barnes with original vocalists Djum Djum, Earl 16 and Cheshire Cat plus Adam Wren (keyboards), Kwes Sey (keyboards and computers) Jess Mills (vocals) and Sebastian Beresford on drums, replacing Paul Daley who is working on other recording projects.
    So that was sort of a false alarm. Thank you. His usage of "us" and "we" was totally appropriate.

old school

can't stop listening to Electric Picnic 2010.. and loving that setlist forza, if they end with space shanty at coachella.. oh my.

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    It has nothing to do with Daley moving on, and everything to do with the name recognition in the states at this point.

Hell, Underworld barely has draw in the states anymore and they're still releasing monster tunes. (I'm still disappointed in the way the crowd dissipated before their performance at Hard Haunted Mansion)

Kids these days just don't pay attention to their history.
    What? Really? From the vids of their performance at HARD it looked pretty packed. I'm shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotek View Post
    What? Really? From the vids of their performance at HARD it looked pretty packed. I'm shocked.
    The area went from full to half full with big open pockets in the midst of it between the performance before (Can't remember for sure, but I want to say it was A-Trak? Maybe Calvin Harris) and theirs. Huge line of people running inside... (the competing act in the other room was a DJ set from Miike Snow, which I love Miike Snow's album... and I love a lot of the pop production that two of them have done as Bloodshy & Avant... they produced Toxic, for crying out loud, easily the best pop single of the 00's... all the same, nowhere near powerful enough to merit such a draw away from Underworld)...

All the same, it allowed me plenty of room to jump around and dance like a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenDREAMS View Post
    This is what to expect:

true, but Barnes and Daley are the two main components of Leftfield and we are only getting half....

So that was sort of a false alarm. Thank you. His usage of "us" and "we" was totally appropriate.
    so yes, somewhat of a false alarm considering what DREAMS stated. But in my defense i had little idea how many individuals are behind the live sound.