Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Creators Project = Intel + Vice

Default Re: The Creators Project = Intel + Vice

Can't wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

^ haha, i was thinking the same thing

So, I was thinking it will be weird having this crazy stage setup at Stagecoach, and then I found this...

So I guess it will be taken down afterward. I'm assuming the metal show will be set up this way too.

'Mane' Stage? Really?
    2013 = Coverchella

2011 = Perfectchella

here's another article.

pretty much all the same info.
    but a couple details worth mentioning:
    "The Studio will also work with returning Creators United Visual Artists (UK) to redesign Coachella’s main stage. Using a combination of integrated lighting technologies, UVA's iconic sculpture will unfold, reveal and evolve over the three days, creating a dynamic canvas for live performances."

and just to put those Spiritualized rumors to bed (if they haven't been already):
    "The Studio will partner ... Spiritualized to produce an experimental light and sound installation. The piece, titled "Meet Me in the Chorus," is part of The Studio's collection of highly advanced art installations on Coachella’s grounds."

These are the guys, UVA, designing the main stage.

http://www.thecreatorsproject.com/en...visual-artists

I'm so excited to see all of this. It seems like they are going to blow people's minds.

Looking back at the past couple Stagecoach maps and it's pretty clear they're just reusing the same template. Granted they could have changed it to update it, but I feel like the Pure Filth expansion sounds less temporary than that if they're putting in grass and everything. We'll see.

I'm excited my lurker-generated thread has survived, almost as excited as I am about this new info about the Creators Project.

I am decidedly on the optimistic/excited side of the fence now, but I do hope they leave room for some BM (or BM-esque) art. People need large-scale metal and fire as much as they need lightshows! For instance, Serpent Mother a few years back was pretty much a nightly campfire providing a nice respite.

Let's go on a livin' spree!

looks like Arcade Fire will also be collaborating w/ the Creators Project as well... not to mention collabs in the Sahara as well.

The most prominent addition is the skeleton of the main stage. Designed and operated by British design team United Visual Artists (which has constructed sets for U2 and Massive Attack), the stage has accommodated ambitious live-show sets before - just ask whoever found Roger Waters' inflatable pig in their yard in 2008. But UVA's set makes the stage itself into a spectacle.

The stage will be constructed with a cube of controllable lights, with two wings that retract to open the front of the stage. Between sets, it will glow and shift patterns like a monolithic Rubik's Cube, programmed by the designer and Warp Records recording artist Mira Calix. During sets, UVA will deploy its in-house software to control light effects that add depth and effect to a band's stage presence.

"It's important to have a moment when the stage takes on a personality," said Matt Clark, founder and creative director of UVA. "Hopefully it can be iconic but still be modular and allow the bands to show their own personalities as well."

Top-billed acts including Arcade Fire, Interpol and Animal Collective, however, have incorporated their own lighting designs into UVA's modular stage. Interpol's Friday set will be the first to use a band's master-concept in the rig, and Animal Collective enlisted its experimental-noise peers Black Dice to direct a found-footage montage using UVA's modules to play with the idea of a stadium's Jumbotron. Arcade Fire's Saturday night headlining set will climax in a UVA collaboration with director Chris Milk, who oversaw the band's childhood-nostalgia Web video, "The Wilderness Downtown."
    http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news...-entertainment
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

the wilderness downtown is such a trip with google earth. awesome to see arcade fire taking advantage of UVA/Creators Project & Intel being apart of visual displays this year.

So sick. My curiosity and skepticism from my OP is now full blown pavlovian slobber.

The man designing the Sahara also designed this club.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

http://thecreatorsproject.com/videos...d-edge-concept

here's a video of what that image is

So basically the entire Sahara ceiling is covered in LED visuals.

GV is taking major steps in the right direction w/ this collaboration. I can imagine a coachella app in the future that would allow the concertgoer to have interaction with installations, stage setups and what not, similar to what Plastikman was trying to achieve with his app last year. Really excited to see the final results of what the Creators Project has come up for us this year!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,5395883.story

In one corner of the field at this year's Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, fans will find an unlikely structure — a kind of ad-hoc cathedral. There's no atonement for a boozy weekend inside, however.

Instead, beams of light will cascade from the ceiling in a hall filled with ambient white noise. Pass through the light columns and you'll be awash in pieces from the orchestral, emotionally ravaged single "Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space" by British band Spiritualized.

"We wanted the light to be the sound," said Jason Pierce, Spiritualized's mastermind. "The objective was to get people physically inside the song."

The Spiritualized installation, called "Meet Me in the Chorus" and helmed by director Jonathan Glazer ("Birth," "Sexy Beast") and the firm Graft Architects, is one of many ways that the festival, starting Friday in Indio, will explore a radical new method of integrating live performance and three-dimensional art.

This year, Goldenvoice collaborated with the Creators Project — a joint venture from Intel and the saucy New York-based media conglomerate Vice encouraging cross-genre artistic and technical collaboration — to revamp the technical infrastructure of the main stage, the dance-inclined Sahara tent and various installation pieces to allow for greater artistic input. The intention is, as Pierce said, to make songs exist in physical space. They'll turn the festival's stages into performers in their own right.

"After the world economy collapsed, it really made us feel like the whole weekend has to deliver," said Paul Tollett, the founder of Goldenvoice, which produces Coachella. "By the end of Sunday you need to have gone through a range of emotions. The experience of the art and the ambience has to play a huge part in that."

The most prominent addition is the new skeleton of the main stage. Designed and operated by the British design team United Visual Artists (who have constructed sets for U2 and Massive Attack alongside installation and gallery work), the stage has accommodated ambitious live-show sets before — just ask whoever found Roger Waters' inflatable pig in their yard in 2008. But UVA's set makes the stage itself into a spectacle.

The stage will be constructed with a cube of controllable lights, with two wings that retract to open the front of the stage. Between sets, it will glow and shift patterns like a monolithic Rubik's Cube, programmed by the designer and Warp Records recording artist Mira Calix. During sets, UVA will deploy its in-house software to control half a dozen light effects that add depth and effect to a band's onstage presence.

"It's important to have a moment when the stage takes on a personality," said Matt Clark, founder and creative director of UVA. "Hopefully it can be iconic but still be modular and allow the bands to show their own personalities as well."

Top-billed acts including Arcade Fire, Interpol and Animal Collective, however, have incorporated their own lighting designs into UVA's modular stage. Interpol's Friday set will be the first to use a band's master-concept in the rig, and Animal Collective enlisted its experimental-noise peers Black Dice to direct a found-footage montage using UVA's modules to play with the idea of a stadium's Jumbotron. Arcade Fire's Saturday night headlining set will climax in a UVA collaboration with director Chris Milk, who oversaw the band's ambitious and unexpectedly moving childhood-nostalgia Web video, "The Wilderness Downtown."

"It's easy, though, to lose track of the humanity if you just start showcasing tech," Milk said. "I love the contradiction of cold high-tech that's incredibly emotional when used in the right context. It's essentially human nostalgia produced by the most advanced technology available today. Million-dollar satellites, photo-mapping cars, HTML5, a series of tubes — all to take you back emotionally to the place where you started."

As dance music has crossed over into pop and indie rock, the Sahara tent's light rigging will similarly entice novices and seasoned electronica heads. Brazilian designer Muti Randolph will re-cast hanging light panels — each synced in patterns to the music — from his São Paolo, Brazil, club D-Edge to an entirely new audience.

This kind of cross-genre artistic collaboration (one that turns the dancing-about-architecture adage on its head) is the goal of Creators Project, which has its biggest public palette yet at Coachella. It also represents a broader vision for Vice, which has transformed from a field manual of hipster contrarianism into a media business — flush with new venture capital funds — pursuing gonzo investigative journalism and, now, installation art and design.

"When we get back from shooting documentaries in North Korea and Liberia, this is the fun stuff we turn to," said Shane Smith, co-founder of Vice. "Art makes life better, and it doesn't have to be experienced in a snooty gallery."

And at this year's Coachella, both the sound and space can claim to be groundbreaking art. "Too often, live show technology is just about how big your screen is," Clark said. "We come from using negative space. We want to use it for a deeper understanding of the music."
    Last edited by GolfWang; 04-08-2011 at 11:49 PM.

FYF - 8/23, 8/24
    Ty Segall - 8/29 - The Echo
    Outkast + Lil B - 9/20 - NOS Events Center
    Massive Attack - 10/16 - Greek Theatre
    Queens Of The Stone Age - 10/31 - The Forum
    OFWGKTA Carnival - 11/8
    Coachella '15 - 4/10-4/12

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

sdjkafhsaudicasudbgf that rubiks cube idea sounds amazing

this is incredible. im literally shaking with excitement.
    -tim
    DRUGS ON KIDS

This thread just multiplied my excitement by 10 times!!!!!

I might have to re-attach my head before I leave for Indio! XD
    Coachella '10, '11, '12 (w2), '13 (w1), '14 (w1) and hopefully every one after

"I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."
    Ray Charles

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i regret not acquiring magical substances for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i regret not acquiring magical substances for this.
    you still have a few days!!
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

crisis averted
    Last edited by chairmenmeow47; 04-11-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Some shots of the stages while The do Lab is setting up... hmmm

bump to bury my dupe thread.

Mainstage at 0:51 in that video?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    Mainstage at 0:51 in that video?
    looks like it, a series of cubes...matches the rubiks cube description