Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Creators Project = Intel + Vice

Default The Creators Project = Intel + Vice

Unholy alliance and another way for Coachella to sell out (by unloading part or all of the art budget to a named sponsor), or breath of fresh air after years of Burning Man-sourced art?

At first I felt the former, then the trailer had me thinking the latter.

Does this mean no more Do Lab, Tesla Coils and much less fire? Can we still get Bliss Dance and her bodacious curves?

Richie Hawtin is listed under artists - are these the people behind the Plastikman iPhone app failure? Will the ambition be so huge that glitches will abound?

Is this the future of corporate festival sponsorship - melding much more seamlessly than Heineken dome silent discos and AT&T recharge tents?

Default Re: The Creators Project = Intel + Vice

I'm actually optimistic. As much as i've loved most of the art partners in the past, they were getting a little "same-y". Hopefully some new creative blood will mix things up a little. I also think The Creators Project is less of an actual specific group of artists who work together as a team, and more of a banner that different artists work under (and get sponsored by). So there still might be a lot of variety.

But one way or another, this means we should be getting some interesting projection mapping work. And they say on their site they're going to reveal some of the Coachella art projects in February.

It won't be perfect the first year, if anything I think it's a bit of both but I'm pretty interested to see what comes.
    Quote Originally Posted by fancy restaurant View Post
    Although, I did attend more Slipknot concerts than any person ever really should. I remember once I told their lead singer "This is my 12th Slipknot show!" and he was just like, "Dude. Why?"
    Quote Originally Posted by cperkins9027 View Post
    Bring Aoki back next year and let him bring his friends. Open your minds and appreciate what he can do.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i think this sounds really interesting. based on the artists listed here, i wonder if we'll get some multimedia performances. i'm really excited to see the art this year. glad to see a new approach, i hope it works out. but no ritchie hawtin on that link.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

This is the Richie Hawtin link.

My point is whether the Creators Project had something to do with his light show and complimentary iPhone app from his Plastikman set last year. The light show was cool, but the app was supposed to allow the audience to interact/influence the lights and maybe even music in subtle ways (in the interview on the above link you he says he really wants to tap into every individual in the audience). It was supposed to be some "next level" sh!t but it pretty much failed.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

cool, thanks for the link. wasn't his lighting guy stranded last year as a result of the volcano?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

in the trailer for the creators project i saw some clips of 3D building projections, imagine this stuff on the tents and various positions throughout the festival...

Quote Originally Posted by mofomofo View Post
    This is the Richie Hawtin link.

My point is whether the Creators Project had something to do with his light show and complimentary iPhone app from his Plastikman set last year. The light show was cool, but the app was supposed to allow the audience to interact/influence the lights and maybe even music in subtle ways (in the interview on the above link you he says he really wants to tap into every individual in the audience). It was supposed to be some "next level" sh!t but it pretty much failed.
    The iPhone app actually worked for about 3/4 of the set however there wasn't enough people using it to see and hear the effects. At one of his other shows the audience was able to over ride what he was doing on stage and create a wall of sound at certain moments. Plus it was one of the first Plastikman shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    cool, thanks for the link. wasn't his lighting guy stranded last year as a result of the volcano?
    Yes he was.

I could see them doing something fierce with The Chemical Brothers on the main stage after KOL.

The Creators Project Announces a Creative Partnership with Coachella

by The Creators Project Staff January 19, 2011

We couldn’t be more thrilled to announce that this year we’ll be kicking off 2011 at the Coachella Music and Arts Festival. Coachella has been one of our favorite festivals for years, a must-attend musical celebration of epic proportions. So many legendary concert moments have taken place here—that night Daft Punk unveiled their glowing pyramid, that year they let us see The Pixies, Radiohead and Kraftwerk back to back, the sunset performance that helped turn Arcade Fire into a household name, and unforgettable sets from Prince, Morissey, The Cure, Pavement, My Bloody Valentine, Portishead and so many more.

And now we’re going to be a part of it.

As Coachella’s creative partner, we’ll be collaborating with this seminal festival to re-imagine the festival experience for the next generation. We’re teaming up with select headlining acts from this year’s festival lineup (see the recently released list of performers here) to create new works of art, curating a series of major art installations on the festival grounds, and bringing several of our favorite international musical acts to perform on the Coachella stage for the first time, including: Emicida, EE, and New Pants.

By incorporating cutting edge technology and stunning visual art into the Coachella experience, we hope to add a new layer of creative interpretation to musical expression, as well as bring fans even closer to the music. How will we do that, you ask? Well, we can’t reveal everything just yet, but stay tuned for a HUGE announcement on February 16th where we will unveil details on the artworks and collaborations.

In the meantime, visit the Coachella website for more info and mark April 15-17 on your calendars because this is going to be epicly legendary!
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mattpach View Post
    The iPhone app actually worked for about 3/4 of the set however there wasn't enough people using it to see and hear the effects. At one of his other shows the audience was able to over ride what he was doing on stage and create a wall of sound at certain moments. Plus it was one of the first Plastikman shows.
    Huh well I bailed before the very end for Gorillaz, but basically I could get on before the set and see the track/beat counter thing, then shortly before it started I got kicked off. Couldn't get back on pretty much the rest of the time I was there (I think it kicked in briefly but no interaction stuff worked). Friends and people around me were having the same trouble.

Anyway, if this is the type of stuff they try to do this year and it works, that would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i think this sounds really interesting. based on the artists listed here, i wonder if we'll get some multimedia performances. i'm really excited to see the art this year. glad to see a new approach, i hope it works out. but no ritchie hawtin on that link.
    I'm all for this. Has anyone watched that VBS.tv show called Open Source about people who create electronic instruments? Looks pretty rad.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Oh, Durr, it's not called Open Source. It's called Motherboard. I'm just makin' shit up, now.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:

For a third post...

Go check out EE, the Korean performance art/electronic duo that Vice are bringing as part of this whole deal. Shit is insane. I think these three Creators Project bands are going to be some of the coolest shit at the festival this year.

I'm curious to hear what this announcement is.

Quote Originally Posted by tarrivi View Post
    I'm curious to hear what this announcement is.
    What announcement?
    The White Stripes 9/18

The one in the press release...
    Well, we can’t reveal everything just yet, but stay tuned for a HUGE announcement on February 16th where we will unveil details on the artworks and collaborations.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO............wheres this HUGE announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    SOOOOOOOOOOOO............wheres this HUGE announcement
    The Suburbs are playing at the dolab

It appears that Boys Noize is also one of their artists, we shall see if that turns into anything.

wheres this big fikcing announcemnt
    Black Rebel Motorcycl Club - 03/16
    Coachella - 04/16-04/18
    Neon Indian - 06/03
    LCD Soundsystem - 06/04
    The XX W/Phantogram - 06/05
    Wild Beasts - 08/13
    Sunset Junction:
    Ghostland Observatory - 08/21
    Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros - 08/21
    Culture Collide:
    Klaxons + The Boxer Rebellion - 10/8
    Jenny & Johnny + Tokyo Police Club -10/10
    LCD Soundsystem W Hot Chip & Sleigh Bells - 10/15
    Friendly Fires + Foster The People - 02/09/11
    Lykke Li@SkyBarMondrian Sessions - 3/10/11

Here's the big announcement:

Woof i'm a dog

they just got back to my inquiry and now its the 23rd

the announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Shut Up Forever Almost All of You.

SEE YOU AT WEEKEND ONE!

another week.... meh.

i do like how it says 'The Creators Project will be collaborating with select headlining acts'

so its gunna be something worth waiting for....
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

meh indeed

Quote Originally Posted by bobchella View Post
    the announcement?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    they just got back to my inquiry and now its the 23rd
    So is anything being announced tomorrow?

is it the 23rd? i dunno, we will see tomorrow

aaronbk

where is it?

The Studio launches at Coachella

Last month we announced our creative partnership with Coachella, one of our favorite music festivals. We told you more information would be coming, and while we can’t reveal all the juicy details just yet, we can tell you that the first set of works from The Studio will premiere this April at Coachella.

We are partnering with headlining acts like Interpol and Animal Collective (who will be working with Black Dice) to create a new visual experience to match their live sets.

Returning creators and masters of light technology, United Visual Artists (UVA), are redesigning Coachella’s main stage to create a dynamic canvas for musical performance. We’re also partnering with esteemed UK film director Jonathan Glazer and UK band Spiritualized to produce an experimental light and sound installation.

And this is only the beginning. We’ll be releasing more details about the projects we’re bringing to Coachella, exclusive interviews, photos and videos, as well as insights into the creative process behind these monumental works, as the countdown to the festival ticks away.

Select artwork from Coachella, along with additional work from The Studio, will then travel the world as part of The Creators Project international event series.

Find out more about our creative partnership with Coachella here.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -