Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Default Re: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Yeah, where is DJ Kentaro in the lineup? I can't find him.
    12/22 - Beachwood Sparks, et al - Echoplex
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Ariel Pink's Haunted Grafiti

Ariel Pink started off by recording on a 4-track at the age of 10. Since then he's recorded something like 500 tracks, many of which were released on mega CD compilations that he sold at his live shows. These early shows typically just featured Ariel singing over tracks karaoke style. As the urban legend goes, Ariel Pink gave a CDr to Animal Collective when they were on tour right around the time they launched Paw Tracks to release Here Comes The Indian. They liked it so much that they put out multiple albums by him. These early recordings often didn't even feature drums and Ariel would simply beat box over the tracks (quite well actually). His sound is regularly characterized as lo-fi, but mostly Pink seems to be filtering his love of campy classic rock through his twisted and warbled persona. This has been augmented by live shows that feature a somewhat confusing mix of nonchalance and extreme effort to be bizarre.

As time has gone on, numerous folks have been added to the band in recording and touring capacities (among them, John Maus, who is no longer with the band). They put out a 7" two years ago on Mexican Summer that signaled a much more accessible shift while holding on to the tape-addled schtick. The album that followed pretty much cemented this and everyone that is sane loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Yeah, where is DJ Kentaro in the lineup? I can't find him.
    He's on Saturday. Two clicks to get that info, Chris. Two.

Go click yourself. I still don't see him on the poster. That's what I mean.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

You're forgiven.

Kentaro was on there a few days ago. Maybe he's since been removed.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    Kentaro was on there a few days ago. Maybe he's since been removed.
    Maybe it happened when the site was all messed up yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    Ariel Pink's Haunted Grafiti

Ariel Pink started off by recording on a 4-track at the age of 10. Since then he's recorded something like 500 tracks, many of which were released on mega CD compilations that he sold at his live shows. These early shows typically just featured Ariel singing over tracks karaoke style. As the urban legend goes, Ariel Pink gave a CDr to Animal Collective when they were on tour right around the time they launched Paw Tracks to release Here Comes The Indian. They liked it so much that they put out multiple albums by him. These early recordings often didn't even feature drums and Ariel would simply beat box over the tracks (quite well actually). His sound is regularly characterized as lo-fi, but mostly Pink seems to be filtering his love of campy classic rock through his twisted and warbled persona. This has been augmented by live shows that feature a somewhat confusing mix of nonchalance and extreme effort to be bizarre.

As time has gone on, numerous folks have been added to the band in recording and touring capacities (among them, John Maus, who is no longer with the band). They put out a 7" two years ago on Mexican Summer that signaled a much more accessible shift while holding on to the tape-addled schtick. The album that followed pretty much cemented this and everyone that is sane loved it.

Missed his set by like 10 minutes a couple years ago, excited to finally get to them.

Ras G

Big name in the LA hiphop/beat community. He produces bass heavy beats influenced by jazz resulting in a down-temp, abstract, experimental sound. He has released material on Brainfeeder and has done remixes of tracks by Take and Flying Lotus. Apparently his shows get rather loud and have the reputation of blowing out sound systems. I almost saw him at a small venue in San Diego but he refused to play (rather shitty on his part even though the sound was crap) - I doubt Pure Filth's sounds will have a problem.

Vid from an in-store
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by thestripe View Post
    I know Hannah just did Delta Spirit, but she should really do the Black Keys also. Just say'n.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post

Yes. I nominate Hannah.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    This, please. And not someone who just got into them with Brothers and thinks they know what the band's all about.
    Alright. I have some stuff to do around the apartment, but I'm going to shuffle all my Keys albums while I do it and think about what to include. I'll have something up for y'all by the end of the day.

Yes! I look forward to it. I wanted to write them up but Hannah's will be sooooo much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Oh - you should do it, then. I'm not even going this year. This isn't my internet corner.

You pair of lazy jerks, we've already established that more than one point of view is to be encouraged. Just pick different songs and different reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    Scott, can I request you come out of early retirement and do MEN?
    Request denied. MEN are awesome though.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

The Black Keys are a searing two-man blues-rock powerhouse from Akron, Ohio who have evolved over time to incorporate little bit of rhythm/soul into their sound. Some people are pleased by this, and some people aren't. Their stage show always incorporates a healthy mix of the back catalogue, so do not let an aversion to the more recent work (should you have one) deter you from seeing them play.

Over the course of the past four years or so, since first getting into them in the months leading up to Coachella 2007, I've seen them four times in four different settings (Coachella nighttime, Coachella daytime, arena twilight, local ballroom). The only complaints I've ever had about their shows have been situational - sound problems, bad festival timeslot (daytime in 09, GV? Really?), horribly unpleasant unacquainted bimbo dancing on me without my consent, etc. They themselves are always on, and are therefore as good as the conditions they're given. Because of their relatively high profile these days, I imagine GV will give them a pretty damn good timeslot and this particular show will be great.

Their stage show always incorporates a healthy mix of the back catalog, so do not let an aversion to the more recent work (should you have one) deter you from seeing them play. The following is a chronological selection of one song from each album so you can hear the development and progression in their sound over time. Again, I know I mentioned it earlier, but if you choose to see them, you will get some of everything. These aren't necessarily my favorite tracks from each album, but I feel like each one does a good job of representing the album as a whole.

Heavy Soul (The Big Come Up, 2002)

Thickfreakness (Thickfreakness, 2003)

'Til I Get My Way (Rubber Factory, 2004)

Give Your Heart Away (Magic Potion, 2006)

(2006 also saw the release of a covers EP - covered at end of post with other assorted bits and pieces.)

Oceans and Streams (Attack & Release, 2008 (produced by Danger Mouse)

Too Afraid To Love You (Brothers, 2010)

Other favorite bits and pieces - There have been a lot of EPs, soundtracks, demos, b-sides, and whatnot.

The Moan - The Moan EP

Wicked Messenger - Bob Dylan cover - I'm Not There OST

Work Me - Junior Kimbrough cover - Chulahoma EP

Last edited by Hannahrain; 01-28-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Heck yeah, Oceans and Streams. The most overlooked song on A&R, imo.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Here We Go Magic

Here We Go Magic's first album can be described as ambient with many different sounds and textures that are looped and combined to form a free flowing song. The band was originally started as a solo project by Brooklyn based Luke Temple. He wrote and recorded the first album alone on a 4 track recorder. The first album has a very earthy feel to it. With thumping drum beats that you cant help but to sway along, walls of noise that elevate and suspend you, and Temples voice that helps put you at ease; It is very easy to put some headphones on and tumble up and down the ridges of your brain.

With the second and latest album came the expansion of the project to a full 5 person band that all partook in the creation of the album. The second album shifts the bands sound to a more electric feel. They also lose many of the ambient loops that personified the first album.

Last edited by ambient sounds; 01-29-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Lurker

Smile Re: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Anyone going to do Excision? he's a dubstep dj, from canada.

EXCISION (Dubstep + other Bass Music)

Excision is the alias of Jeff Abel, a dubstep DJ and music producer from British Columbia, Canada

As one of the first dubstep producers/dj's in North America, he has played a significant role in the genre's growth in popularity, and also the development of a more aggressive approach to dubstep production. His first release was in 2007.

Excision's signature sound takes influence from the morphing basslines of drum and bass, the aggressive energy of heavy metal, and the laid back vibes of hip hop.

Upon the selling out and repressing of his 2007 release, “No Escape” on his own label Rottun Recordings, it became apparent that there was a large demand for the aggressive side of dubstep. This was proven to be true when Excision was asked by Pendulum to remix their 2009 single “Showdown.”

The sounds that Excision creates in his songs have become an ongoing topic of discussion within the dubstep community. There has been much debate over how these sounds are created, but Excision is known to use Steinberg Cubase, Apple Logic, Native Instruments Massive, Linplug Albino 3, and Access Virus TI.

His recordings from the fabled Shambhala Music Festival in 2008, 2009, and 2010 have received over a million downloads available for free

My own review of Excision is that he's super fun to shank out to. I've always enjoyed his filthy style of dubstep. He has an awesome ablility to give just about everyone attending his show a serious case of bassface.

Over the last few years, He's gained a lot of fans from the younger crowd. I've personally noticed that quite a few of his newer fans are young metal heads. His style of dubstep can be "robotic" sounding. Lately Excision has been producing and playing a few DnB tracks, which completely devastate the dancefloor. =]
    In all he's an excellent dubstep dj. If you havn't heard of him before, and like bass heavy electronic dance music (EDM), I highly recommend you check him out.

Hope this review was o.k.
    PLUR everyone!

Last edited by TriboChillz; 01-29-2011 at 03:46 AM.

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    The only complaints I've ever had about their shows have been situational - sound problems, bad festival timeslot (daytime in 09, GV? Really?),
    This. That time slot sucked all the energy right out of the set. I left disappointed. Also, it's good to know that they still hit a healthy portion of back catalog. Thanks, Hannah.

old school

Angus and Julia Stone

a brother/sister folky type band from australia. very soothing vocals with a fine horn usage. they are huge in their homeland, are fantastic live, and will be a perfect way to start out your sunday in the gobi.

Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

^ Angus.

EDIT: Fixed. Nevermind.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Beardyman

Beardyman aka Darren Foreman is a musician from London, and is renowned for his beatboxing skills and use of live looping technology. He was given the nickname "Beardyman" because a name was quickly needed for a flyer for an early show, and at the time he had a beard.
    In 2006, Beardyman battled to become UK Beatbox Champion and retained his title in 2007 making him the first beatboxer in UK history to win 2 championships in a row. In 2008, it was reported that so many competitors refused to go up against him for a third year, thus not allowing him to enter. Instead he was on the 2008 judging panel.

As well as accomplished solo beatboxing, Beardyman uses music technology such as the Korg Kaoss Pad 3 in order to loop and sample his vocals. Through his use of looping tools he effectively produces whole DJ sets where the records are constructed live from his vocalizations, as well as live production of original material.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Anybody a fan of The Presets? I'd like to learn more about them.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Kele

Kele Okereke, lead singer of the UK band Bloc Party recently went onto his solo career while the band remains on hiatus.

Even though he is one of my favorite artists I have very little to say about him. He is very shy so he doesn't grant many interviews and when he does they aren't revealing.

He recently came out as a homosexual after years of rumors and tabloids. He worked on his & first and only solo album "The Boxer" with producer XXXchange from Spank Rock fame.

I see his set to rely heavily on the album along with a Bloc Party medley in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    It almost makes you think you might actually want to know what you are talking about before you tell people things.

Dear lord Beardyman is so fucking awesome. I had never even heard of him until a couple of days ago and he quickly became one of my must sees. Dude is so insanely talented.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

The Presets are Julian Hamilton (keyboard and vocals) and Kim Moyes (drums and keyboard). They are an electronic two piece from Sydney, Australia. The Presets have been one of the biggest indie bands for the past few years in Australia, touring with and supporting many well known bands such as Daft Punk, 2 Many DJ’s and Ladytron.

Also, they were completely amazing in the Sahara in 2009.

They're also gay/homo-erotique.
    Last edited by weareyourfriends; 02-01-2011 at 04:36 PM. Reason: sorry y'all!

7/24 - Stevie Wonder @ Hollywood Bowl
    8/6 - HARD - LA State Historic Park
    9/3 - FYF @ LA State Historic Park

Mosh pits during Beardyman? Kooky kids..

Quote Originally Posted by weareyourfriends View Post
    The Presets are Julian Hamilton (keyboard and vocals) and Kim Moyes (drums and keyboard). They are an electronic two piece from Sydney, Australia. The Presets have been one of the biggest indie bands for the past few years in Australia, touring with and supporting many well known bands such as Daft Punk, 2 Many DJ’s and Ladytron.

Also, they were completely amazing in the Sahara in 2009.

They're also gay/homo-erotique.
    Thanks for the contribution, but would you mind adding a bit more detail? Like what makes them stand out from other EDM acts?

Also, this: http://coachella.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode#imgcode

Shows you how to embed youtube videos.
    Last edited by Gribbz; 01-30-2011 at 11:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

^ Thank you. I wanted to post that, but didn't feel like being bossy.

The Rural Alberta Advantage

I haven't seen a lot of talk about this band and I'm a little surprised to be honest. This three piece from Toronto is my favorite discovery from this years lineup so far, and it's not hard to understand why once you listen to their debut from 2008, Hometowns. They've got a new album due out in about a month and I can't wait to hear it! Distorted acoustics, dreamy keyboards, a drummer that tears it up and a voice that truly knows how pack in emotion...It all comes together to make something that's genuinely inspiring and heartwarming. Hope you enjoy it.