Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Default Re: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bonovan View Post
    Dear thecapsulettes:

Thank you SO MUCH for introducing TWIN SHADOW to me. "At My Heels" is my newest favorite song! George Lewis Jr. is A DEFINITE must see! SWOON!
    You are welcome, my child.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    I put together a live sampler for this year.

http://www.coachellarecordings.com/c...a-2011-sampler
    thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    Yeah, nice try. That's not my website. If you're trying to be funny, you've failed. Seriously, what have I ever done to you?

Collective trolls: I know you think it's really fun to pick on me, but a majority of people here now think it's a pretty cheap shot to do so. Many of the people here have actually MET me and have determined I'm not the pompous asshole I come off as on the board. I went away for a while and I came back -- but you trolls are STILL trying to make me feel bad about myself.

The reality is, you're clogging up a useful thread with your playground banter. STFU and get out.

I said ''secret'', meaning not known to others. That means it doesnt include your own website, thus ''secret''.

It still doesn't make any sense.

Nor is it funny.
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I think its cause he has a crush on her.

Yeah, still not my site. You think I'd go through all the trouble of running a blog for years and years (apparently run by a guy, not to mention) to make one Coachella rant?

Fuck -- sorry for ruining this thread, guys. Some people can't fucking lay off. Resume band teachage.

nice. we almost have a whole page of spam at this point. keep it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Alright, about 90 write-ups or so thus far. Keep up the good work.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Well anybody with interest in the bands can just link directly to them thanks to Matt's awesome work editing the first post. This is mildly entertaining from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

So, I have been listening to Robyn, and I noticed stark differences in the production values of some of her songs. I looked into it, and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Ta...um)#Production

Turns out, Klas Ahlund wrote and produced pretty much all of her songs that are awesome. He is 1/3 of Teddybears. I guess he's been writing/producing the majority of her music since her self titled album. I haven't really delved into her catalog (yet) but I'd be willing to bet there's a pretty big stylistic difference that happened around this point in her career. It also sort of coincides with her leaving Jive. The review said she wanted more control over her music at that point, and I guess that meant handing the actual writing of the music to Kals Ahlund. Good call? I dunno. I'm still exploring here.

edit: ok, so she's at least credited as a co-writer on most of this stuff, so maybe she wasn't exactly handing over creative control. I really wonder how much of this music she's creating though. in any case, she seems like a good singer and performer, and it's still enough to make me interested in seeing her.
    Last edited by DANCE MAGIC; 01-24-2011 at 08:36 PM.

Did anybody see Teddybears in 07? I missed them, but I was sad about it.

Sasha Ė ÖIím not sure Iím watching the right video. Thatís Sasha? Thatís who will be performing at Coachella? Who the hell goes to this festival? Is it not the indie-kid shit-fest I thought it was? My 60-year-old mom would listen to this.
    That moron's 60 year old mom is awesome.

vinylmartyr

what about EE

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    That moron's 60 year old mom is awesome.
    Different Sasha.
    12/14 - Cat Stevens - Nokia
    12/30 - Together Pangea - Echo
    1/10 - Flesh Eaters - Echoplex (?)
    1/20 - Guster - HOB Anaheim (?)
    1/29 - Patti Smith - Ace (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

can we sticky this?
    in the lineup section?
    I keep forgetting what it's called and where it is.

The useless bitching/banter will increase 10 fold if it's in the Line-Up section. I guess it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    The useless bitching/banter will increase 10 fold if it's in the Line-Up section. I guess it doesn't matter.
    You know this isn't true. This thread is where most of the Noblepeople come to escape. We can't let the commoners win.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    So, I have been listening to Robyn, and I noticed stark differences in the production values of some of her songs. I looked into it, and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Ta...um)#Production

Turns out, Klas Ahlund wrote and produced pretty much all of her songs that are awesome. He is 1/3 of Teddybears. I guess he's been writing/producing the majority of her music since her self titled album. I haven't really delved into her catalog (yet) but I'd be willing to bet there's a pretty big stylistic difference that happened around this point in her career. It also sort of coincides with her leaving Jive. The review said she wanted more control over her music at that point, and I guess that meant handing the actual writing of the music to Kals Ahlund. Good call? I dunno. I'm still exploring here.

edit: ok, so she's at least credited as a co-writer on most of this stuff, so maybe she wasn't exactly handing over creative control. I really wonder how much of this music she's creating though. in any case, she seems like a good singer and performer, and it's still enough to make me interested in seeing her.
    Honestly, don't even bother with anything pre-s/t. It's like it comes from a completely different artist. I do think she's highly responsible in crafting a lot of the songs, and she's certianly no longer part of a giant writing/production team she had been involved with before.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by TommyboyUNM View Post
    You know this isn't true. This thread is where most of the Noblepeople come to escape. We can't let the commoners win.
    The voice of reason.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Oh, also, I swear i'm interested in other acts besides Robyn. I don't know what's happening around here.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

But Robyn is where I will seduce you
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Oh, also, I swear i'm interested in other acts besides Robyn. I don't know what's happening around here.
    yeah i dont really believe you.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Different Sasha.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    But Robyn is where I will seduce you
    tackling is not seducing

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Lil B (also known as the BasedGod)

Even though a lot of the board seems to not be on board with the based movement, I want this thread to have every single artist and who better to do Lil B's entry than his biggest fan.

Lil B, from Berkeley, CA, was originally 1/4th of the group The Pack whose 2006 single "Vans" prompted them to fame. They rode that hit and other party, sorority and fraternity jams for about 3 years.

Lil B who always seem like the leader of the group went off into his solo career but he didn't follow in the path of songs like Vans, Booty Bounce Bopper, Ride My Bike, and other sexual frat house jams like the Pack was creating. He actually just freestyled. A lot. Like a whole lot. And they were all stream-of-conscious freestyles. Some over hip hop, some over rock, some over ambient music that he produced. This left a lot of people confused and turned off but even more intrigued.

After creating 120+ myspaces, countless youtube videos he started to get fame for his "controversial" video "I'm God". It isn't that controversial but the title and some of the lyrics were enough for it to be posted on MediaTakeOut.com and WSHH.com and people to talk about. I think they call that shock value.

He created a more shock buzz with other songs and lyrics where he referred to himself as a pretty boy, pretty bitch, prettier than nicki minaj, a f***ot, a lesbian and countless other words that rappers, heterosexual or sane people for their matter don't refer to themselves as.

Then came the video/song that some would call career suicide but if you look at the timeline of Lil' B's career this was career advancement. I present "Look Like Jesus"

He went on to make more shocking songs and sprinkling in his "real" songs I guess you can say. Lil B is a very polarizing character. His fans see him as a positive young man pursuing his dreams entertaining the masses and being himself. While his detractors call him the most negative influence on hip-hop since Soulja Boy. During the course of 2010 he rose to fame through his Twitter which includes gems like

and his countless youtube videos. But he really took off when in the "Violate That Bitch" video he invented the cooking dance which has spawned so many youtube versions and other fellow rappers like Wiz Khalifa, Lupe Fiasco, and Young Jeezy to use it.

And I leave one last video just to show the amount of love this guy gets and why people say his audience is cult like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    It almost makes you think you might actually want to know what you are talking about before you tell people things.

Quote Originally Posted by clumsy342 View Post
    can we sticky this?
    in the lineup section?
    I keep forgetting what it's called and where it is.
    You should just subscribe to this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

This is for Unknown, she has been asking me to do this, haha

High Contrast is a Drum & Bass producer/DJ from Cardiff, Wales. He helped transform a small sub genre of drum & bass called Liquid Funk (aka disco drum & bass) into one of the main genres in less than a decade. He also helped turn a small label called Hospital records into one of the most successful in the genreís almost 20 year history. His early production work focused primarily on fusing lots of elements of deep house into the d&b template and can be found on the album True Colours (or True Colors in the USA). His later work, 2004ís High Society and 2007ís Tough Guyís Donít Dance, has led him father outside of those parameters combining elements of progressive house, classic early 90s dance music, funk, soul, jazz, soundtrack scores and anything else he wants to throw into the mix. His tracks generally have a very high energy uplifting positive anthem quality which sets his style apart from the dark noisy abrasive sounds also found with in drum & bass.

He is well known as one of the best bootleg re mixers in d&b. He has had several remixes released officially that originally started out as bootlegs he did for fun for DJing at gigs. Some of these are things like The White Stripeís Blue Orchid and Adeleís Hometown Glory.

On a personal note he is well known for being a life long straight edge and also a vegetarian.

From 2002ís True Colours

From 2004ís High Society

From 2007ís Tough Guyís Donít Dance

Adeleís Hometown Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012

For Unknown? I thought we were closer than that, Donaldj.

But thank you. I definitely think High Contrast needs a solid write up outlining his production and significance on this lineup and who better to do it than you? Good job on not sounding like a complete fanboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Resident DnB Encyclopedia Donaldj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    For Unknown? I thought we were closer than that, Donaldj
    LOL,

Ok smart ass :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Semantic View Post
    If there was a Frank Lucas of DnB links, Donald would be him...

Donald is not only the Frank Lucas of the board, but also the resident Buddha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    All in favor of an Underworld / High Contrast US co-tour say "AYE!"
    "Real Drum & Bass is not something that sounds like a 17 year old rock band who have just listened to Slipmatt on their first E & decided to make Drum & Bass" - Marcus Intalex

http://soundcloud.com/donaldj-1/jind...pect-8-16-2012