Thread: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    FUCK YES
    We need to disco-dance together so fast
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Nah this year it's not dancing so fast. It's dodging so fast. As in, dodging the herds of people because it's sure to be clusterfuckchella part 2.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Stop whining so fast.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

theres a few I wanna do but my writing skills are shit and the board makes me self-conscious
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    theres a few I wanna do but my writing skills are shit and the board makes me self-conscious
    i heard there is some guy named Brandon that is gonna be there, but i don't really know anything about him....
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    We need to disco-dance together so fast
    i might die from this and if i do it will be legendary

I'm assuming it's this guy: http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11269

Am I misinformed, Salah?

DONT YOU PATRONIZE ME
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

yeah how come some NFL player is playing coachella that's weird

Salah. I want to read you geek out about Brandon Flowers. The only negative things said in this thread so far were Kat complaining about Fancy doing a shitty job and subsequently getting shit for it. And, Drinkey pointing out that Kat picked not great Robyn songs for her write-up, which I agreed with. Other than that everyone has been really awesome.

I have to thank Lilia, Zack, whythelongface, Tommy, Gribbz, Gemma, Scott and everyone else for doing these. Been ace so far.
    Last edited by Kyliediscope; 01-20-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

yeah how come some NFL player is playing coachella that's weird
    I bet he's performing with Kanye West and they gave him a spot on the lineup. Like Hypnotic Brass Ensemble last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Geez Kat you managed to post every Robyn song that i hate in your example videos, and i'm a huge fan of hers too.
    I lol'd.

i think Drinkey is writing a book about Robyn.

I think he is growing the beard for Robyn.

supre, do jack beats next.

Ratatat

This two-piece electronic rock act from New York has been around since 2001. They fit into this year's theme of truly LIVE dance music acts and veer more towards the "we are motherfucking rock stars" side of the aisle when it comes to live performance. The group's output is somewhat one-dimensional; they put together almost entirely instrumental pieces that are incredibly catchy. They've pretty much stuck to the formula they concocted with their self-titled debut and Classics, but that's sort of what draws people to the band: the riffs stand out. Layering almost church organ-like backing sounds over drawling, almost hypnotic beats, and guitar tracks that sound like lazers in your mind (if you're high enough), Ratatat may have beaten their style of music the way one might beat a dead horse... But, in their case, it might be best to say that their horse has a few more miles to go.

The band's live show doesn't disappoint, not when you can expect some of the following songs to brought out in full force:

Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    PJ Harvey

PJ Harvey is a singer/songwriter and musician from England. She has seven studio albums currently with a eight due out THIS MONTH. She also two collaborative albums with long time musical partner, John Parish. She primarily plays guitar, but she is proficient in piano, organ, bass, saxophone, and auto-harp. Her work is well known for it's diversity and it's heavy influence from American Blues. She likes to push herself to move outside her comfort zone and take risks, which is why I appreciate her body of work so much. I guarantee when she picks up her guitar and just starts going at it that everyone in attendance will be blown away. This will be my first time seeing her and as you can tell I am a huge fan, so fuck yes.

Dry (1992)

Her debut album. The lyrics are dark, twisted and beautiful and the album is powerful and raw. Polly Jean has said the reason it is so extreme is because she though it would be her last album. She plays guitar and violin on this record. She experiments with a lot of two-guitar harmonies.

Plants and Rags

Sheela-na-gig

Sheela na Gigs are carvings of women with an exaggerated vulva. So yeah, giant gaping vaginas.

Rid of Me (1993)

Even more raw and aggressive than her debut especially within the song-writing portion. She plays a lot with song structure. Most songs on this album are crafted with just a guitar, drums, and bass, though Man-sized Sextet has an awesome string part. A departure from her previous album, she focuses more on the electric guitar and distortion. Vocally, PJ starts experimenting with what her voice is capable of and pushing herself into a higher register.

Rub 'Til It Bleeds

50 Ft. Queenie

To Bring You My Love (1995)
    Largely considered her breakthrough album, To Bring You My Love was her best selling album. It marked the first of many collaborations with John Parish and Flood (famous for work with U2, Nine Inch Nails, and Depeche Mode). While her previous record deals mostly with the aggressive side of a relationship by talking about revenge and role reversals. This album focuses more on loss of a lover and the desire to have them back. There is loads of biblical imagery and even a few references to Captain Beefheart strewn about. Musically way more complicated than the previous two albums. Almost every song has two guitar parts. Acoustic guitar and string, which was used a few times in previous albums can be heard through a majority of the album. Also used are chimes, vibraphone, and keyboard. A bass is used rarely on this album and instead an organ is used to provide the deep rumbling.

Meet Ze Monsta

Down By The Water

Is This Desire? (1998)
    This album marked a departure from her original guitar driven songs and instead focused on developing an atmospheric feel centered around electronics, bass, and keyboards. This is the album that PJ Harvey herself is the most proud of because she experimented with a lot of different techniques. Overall, it's a sexy and moody album.

Joy

My Beautiful Leah

Stories From The City, Stories From the Sea (2000)

This album is the second major commercial success and argued by many critics to be her best effort. A drastic departure from the preceding album, this record has a lot of lushly layered melodies and sheds a lot of the darkness the previous records have had. It's beautiful and at time dances on the lines of dream pop. I need to mention of course that it features some back up vocals by Thom Yorke as well as a beautiful duet by them because most of you would have a boner over that. Lyrically, themes of love tied with her warmth for New York City dance along to these gorgeous melodies.

Horses In My Dreams

This Mess We're In (ft. Thom Yorke)

Uh Huh Her (2004)
    Fun fact- PJ Harvey played every instrument on this album outside of the final drums tracks. It was recorded over a two year period and was produced by herself. I think this is the closest we get to seeing a tender Polly Jean. It's moving, dark, edgy, and passionate. Some songs have remnants of her early guitar heavy work, but she is disgustingly gifted at pretty much every instrument she puts her hands on. In my opinion, this album conveys her range the best.

Who The Fuck?

This song ROCKS. Look at it. Don't you want to be in that crowd? But, I choose to display the one below to show the tender side of the record I referred to in the description.

You Come Through

White Chalk (2007)

This album Polly Jean shed some layers of alternative rock and applied some coats of folk. Despite her limited knowledge on the piano, PJ Harvey recorded a set of songs on it. Vocally she pushes herself to a higher register far beyond pitches in her normal range. Lyrics are very dark and moody.

The Devil

When Under Ether

Let England Shake (2011)
    This highly anticipated album drops soon! Let England Shake, the title track, is played on the auto-harp and features a loop of a sample from The Four Lads- Istanbul. She has said that she will be using politics as they effect people as the overall theme of the album. Several auto-harps tuned differently is supposedly the major instruments. The three songs released so far have been in my opinion the most experimental of all her releases especially in regards to her vocals.

Let England Shake
    I'm very torn on this song. I think it's beautifully creepy, but the loop boarders on irritating.

Written On The Forehead
    This song grew on me.

Last Living Rose

My favorite song released so far.

I won't go into her two albums with John Parish as I doubt many songs are pulled from there, but I will say that one of my favorite songs by her that we most likely will hear comes from Dane Hall at Louse Point. Just fucking listen to this.

Taut
    Kylie!! Thank you for this. Your absolute adoration and respect for this fine artist shines through. No one else could have written this as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    TOKiMONSTA

TOKiMONSTA is DJ a local LA native. She just released her first album titled "Midnight Menu" last year. She has classical piano training and has used a lot of this knowledge to create these highly textured songs. According to a bit of research she has been known to use live instruments, percussion, and vinyl. She dabbles in a few different genres, but mostly has a laid back hip-hop sound. It will be a lovely afternoon set.

"Gamble"

"The World Is Ours"
    And she is fantastic live.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

That she is! I saw her do a set just a few weeks ago at this Tron premiere party. It was upbeat and she spun a lot of disco-house. It was an amazing set and afterwards I got to chat with her. She was really sweet and was talking about her new material. I assume her set is going to be a lovely way to start of Sunday in the Sahara. Something laid-back, smooth, and sexy to enjoy with a nice cold drink.

Also, thank you Joann! I am glad you enjoyed it. I still don't think I did her justice, but a few people have seemed to get some use out of it and for that I am glad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

I saw her do a set at Mighty in June and it was really great. She was up here SF not long ago with Daedelus, I think, but I was not able to attend. Really looking forward to seeing her at Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Leftfield

Paul Daley and Neil Barnes of Leftfield only produced two full studio albums in 1995 and 1999 before breaking up in 2002 to focus on solo projects. Still, they're considered by many in and out of the industry to be one of the most influential and talented electronic acts of their generation. Their organic blend of dub/house/ambient/breakbeat/techno/electronica makes them hard to pin, but it's definitely very dubby. Leftism, their first album, consistently comes up in all-time greatest electronica album lists and their second effort Rhythm and Stealth also went Platinum in the UK and reached the #1 spot in the charts. Basically, these guys and their "reunion" are a really big deal. I put reunion in quotes because Paul Daley isn't playing live with them last I knew. He's opting to continue work on an upcoming solo album.

To get the best sense of their sound I recommend their Live @ Homelands 2000 recording. Why? Because it's pure edm greatness, and it's very similar to what their Coache11a set will sound like. You're welcome in advance.

And Phat Planet is a world-shattering monstrous mindfuck of a closing track. Video evidence coming when I'm at a place with better internet.

Acts like this are what keeps Coachella ahead of the other festivals in the states. Great signing. They're going to shake the Sahara and everyone in it to the core.
    Last edited by boarderwoozel3; 01-21-2011 at 04:07 AM.

Gayngs

Gayngs are a big collective group, mostly from Minnesota. Founded by Ryan Olson, the group consists of 23 musicians, including Justin Vernon of Bon Iver, Rhymesayers rapper P.O.S, and members of Solid Gold. They have sort of an 80's soft-rock throwback sound, and their live show usually includes awesome covers like this:

Prince is a fan, and has been seen at a couple of their live shows. Here are some of their original songs:

I listened to the first YouTube video and downloaded the album last night, I'm hooked!
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

I'm going to add to the GAYNGS love. The show I saw in Austin in the fall was in my top 5 shows of the year. Just fantastic. If you're not slow-dancing with the nearest person during "Last Prom On Earth," you're doing it wrong.
    My name is Becca. Hi.

Facebook, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    If it was supposed to be a joke, there'd be a cat in the picture somewhere. That's how you can tell, on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastpirate View Post
    I listened to the first YouTube video and downloaded the album last night, I'm hooked!
    welcome to last year

Quote Originally Posted by rskapcat View Post
    I'm going to add to the GAYNGS love. The show I saw in Austin in the fall was in my top 5 shows of the year. Just fantastic. If you're not slow-dancing with the nearest person during "Last Prom On Earth," you're doing it wrong.
    I hope they come to Phoenix soon because I don't think I will be at Coachella 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by FairfaxandFountain View Post
    welcome to last year
    What can I say, I love retro shit.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    Ratatat

The band's live show doesn't disappoint, not when you can expect some of the following songs to brought out in full force:
    Err...I dunno dude. I saw them live when they toured for their last album. They mimed playing to a backing track. It was fucking horrible. Of course, most of the crowd couldn't tell because they were all dance/rave kids who can't tell the difference between live sound/live playing and a backing track.

I left early. It was possibly the worst show I've ever seen.

THE SWELL SEASON
    Saturday April 16

The Swell Season are Glen Hansard (from The Frames) and Marketa Irglova. They play pretty and soft songs with acoustic guitar, piano, and (possibly) other accompaniment from members of The Frames. I saw them the last time they came to Coachella, and although their music is soft, they didn't play softly. Glen really uses his vocals and sings with charged emotions. He also charges at that acoustic guitar when he plays, breaking strings and everything. Last time, they were joined by the drummer from The National (who had gone on before them). I don't think they were going off a setlist - it seemed like they were just picking out songs. They covered Kraftwerk and "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

So the band actually came out of this movie called Once, which is a really nice movie. They play a lot of songs throughout it. It has a great soundtrack full of songs by the Swell Season that differ or aren't on the first album - so it's worth getting. I would actually recommend checking out the band not by getting the albums, but by renting or buying Once first, but definitely listen to the albums too. I had heard the first album when I was importing a crap load of new music from that Coachella lineup. I was playing just a little of each new album I got, and when I got to their album, I let it run through about three times. I loved it. The movie really goes along with the excitement of watching them perform live.

I actually have not really given the last album a proper listen, but there is a video from NPR with them playing their new songs. It's like 30 minutes long. I haven't watched it, but I'm sure it's swell... season... Anyway, it's just the two of them it seems, and I wouldn't know (but wouldn't expect it) if it's just the two of them performing at Coachella. I'm sure they'll have other musicians with them, so that you get a more full sounds with drums.

This is the Frames, but it's not very different from The Swell Season. Just add Marketa Irglova. In fact, they played this as The Swell Season at Coachella.
    Last edited by Alchemy; 01-21-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

The Joy Formidable's debut album leaked for those interested. This thread has helped tremendously with a lot of my research. Will try to get something else up today for more dnb, maybe Green Velvet.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Riva Starr: is Stefano Miele, is a Naples born but London based house DJ that makes music I'd like to categorize as "gypsy-house," but really he draws from a bunch of sounds and fuses many genres together. In his own words, ďThe Riva Starr sound has many different angles to it; Itís funny, sometimes itís grotesque and sometimes itís bouncy & dark, it really reflects my personality.Ē His 2010 album, If Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemonade, is full of infectious, Balkan influenced beats and sounds:

He has also released two EP's on San Francisco's Dirtybird Label, La Conga and Bubble

He also has done a remix of the beloved Green Velvet jam, "Percolater"

I imagine he will be on fairly early in the Sahara on Sunday. I will for sure be bopping around to his set....and I hope some of you join me!

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival