Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Default Re: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Well, if someone actually liked Interpol's last record, they ought to be able to rebuke my claim from earlier.

Just saying.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Ficklecycle and Mammoth85 are the only two people I've come across who enjoyed it whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Add me to the list. Just listened to it again today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Joy Orbison

This dj/producer out of London makes good tracks. I am loving all of the amazing producers of forward bass music/dubstep/garage on the lineup this year. Now Peter O'Grady may not have a whole lot of releases under his belt yet, but he does make some tunes that get HUGE play by a lot of big djs and he's not too shabby at creating beautiful mixes either like this "chill mix" he did for Percussion Lab. His set is sure to contain some new or rare tracks.

Here is his debut single, Hyph Mngo which was number 23 on RA top tracks of the 2000's and number 1 on Fact Mag's top tracks of 2009.

Here is a track that was released last year. I think this track is beautiful and has been featured in a number of other artists mixes, including one of my favorite djs around - Apparat's amazing DJ Kicks.

oh, he remixes tracks too.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Moving Units

This is honestly the most surprising name on the lineup this year for me because I thought this band was through, especially given lead singer Blake Miller's success as an electro house DJ. Moving Units are from LA, they were a large part of the huge dance punk scene from the early portion of the last decade (alongside The Rapture, !!! and The Faint) but what really set their songs apart (at least those from their debut record, Dangerous Dreams) were the basslines. Their songs have killer fucking baselines, and that's pretty much reason enough to at least give them something of a shot. If you're excited about seeing Cut Copy, YACHT and Crystal Castles (to a lesser degree), make sure to catch this band when they play (probably) the Mojave or the Gobi at 2-3pm in the afternoon on friday.

Here are some songs from their first record because their second record kind of sucks:

Also, for their best bassline, track down the song "Submission". It's amazing.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Moving Units are terrible live and Blake Miller is an ass. Surprised they're still together. And this is coming from someone who enjoys their first album.
    Where's Underworld and Mew? Make it happen GV.

thestripe

I just listened to Death From Above 1979's "You're a Women, I'm a Machine" for the first time in years. That album is even better than I remembered. I am officially pumped for this.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I honestly had no real exposure to Robyn outside of the song she did with Royksopp, but those videos sold me on seeing her.

Also never heard of Yelle but that looks like it could be fun too.

So in short, I really like this thread.
    Last edited by nathanfairchild; 01-20-2011 at 08:08 PM.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Lightning Bolt

Prepare to get your face melted off and your eardrums blown to oblivion. Hailing from Providence, RI, the drums/bass (not to be confused with DnB, OK?) duo Lightning Bolt blends noise rock, metal, prog and hardcore punk into insanely loud, frenetic jams sure to send n00bs running from the stage. This music isn't for the weak of heart -- for fans of Boris, Black Flag, Husker Du, Sun Ra et al.

Born from the RISD music scene in 1994, Lightning Bolt attracted attention through their unique stage set up -- the band prefers to play on the ground instead of a stage -- and bizarre, usually incomprehensible lyrics. Drummer Brian Chippendale wears a luchador mask rigged with a distorted microphone, allowing him to sing while playing.

They put out a rad live DVD titled The Power of Salad in 2003.

Their latest album, Earthly Delights was released in 2009 to critical acclaim; it was the band's first release in four years. (And it's awesome...see below.)

Twin Shadow

Twin Shadow is not amused that you have never heard of him. Seriously, you need to take a look at his fucking hair and mustache. That should sell you on him alone. Twin Shadow is the stage name for George Lewis, Jr. Born in Florida, but he later relocated to Brooklyn, New York. Often dubbed the black Morrissey because of his vocal tone and phrasing, Twin Shadow also draws some influence from bands such as Depeche Mode and Echo and the Bunnymen. Last year, he released his debut album Forget produced by no other than Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear fame. I can only describe it as pop with a twinge of new-wave. Some sexy textured synth lines. This set is going to be fantastic.

When We're Dancing

Slow
    (I had to include this video because I think it's hilarious and shows that he has a good sense of humor.)

Castles in the Snow
    (Look at the fuckin' sexy ass v-neck. Just look at it)
    Last edited by Kyliediscope; 01-20-2011 at 07:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

I just want to geek out a bit and say thank you and <3 to you all. I'm already discovering some great gems on the line-up using this thread as a starting point.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Hmm. I yield to the consensus that we don't want a bunch of chatter cluttering up the thread but honestly, throwing feedback around is half the fun for me.

Associated commentary thread mebbe?

I disagree completely. A few pages on this thread take a bit to load for me. Sans commentary we will have a million pages full of youtubes. This spreads it a bit thinner and for the most part the banter has been civil. The OP makes it easy to navigate and find artists you are looking for.
    PLURcenta

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Geez Kat you managed to post every Robyn song that i hate in your example videos, and i'm a huge fan of hers too.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    Twin Shadow
    This is almost exactly what I imagined him to look like when I first heard his album. Only my version had slightly more sheen in the puff. Same velvety mustache, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Geez Kat you managed to post every Robyn song that i hate in your example videos, and i'm a huge fan of hers too.
    I don't hate any per se, but I don't think you picked the songs to best represent her. You did a fantastic job of decribing her career.

Also, Tommy. His hair is majestic. I wanted to post this video just because of that, but decided the sound was too horrible. However, since you brought up his hair I will bestow on you it's beauty.

PLURcenta

I'd like to go surfing in Twin Shadow's hair (no homo). All I would need is Rick Moranis and a popsicle stick.

TOMMY'S BACK!!!!!!!!!
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Who?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Damn, Chris, I'm gone for.......what seems like 2 days and your post count is higher than mine.

But this thread isn't about me. It's one of the only worthwhile threads going right now. I'm enjoying the help with the research. There have been some great posts. Jesus loves you all.

Ha, I don't really pay attention to post counts but I guess so.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Who?
    Thats what you said to about 90% of the line up, but will become all obsessed with everyone very soon. Or just say ''yawn''.

The Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77

The Bloody Beetroots are an Italian dance music duo. The Bloody Beetroots were formed in late 2006 by producer Bob Rifo a.k.a. "Sir Bob Cornelius Rifo," and DJ Tommy Tea a.k.a "Isaac". They have done a variety of remixes for artists such as The Chemical Brothers, Goose, Etienne De Crecy, MSTRKRFT, Crookers, Proxy and more. In 2010 they began to tour and perform their music ''live''. This included adding a live drummer into the mix. Thus forming the Death Crew 77. The energy that they bring to their live performances is something to be seen, especially this year at Coachella.

Last edited by suprefan; 01-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    Their last album came out in 2008 on SubPop. And it bombed. Hard.
    Ok, you've made it clear that you're really pissed off that I posted about Animal Collective before you got the chance. I'M FUCKING SORRY, OK.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

The Twelves

From Rio de Janeiro, Brazil The Twelves were formed by Joo Miguel and Luciano Oliveira in 2005. The name came from the strange coincidence of their birth dates: July 12th 1980. They have done a variety of remixes for artists such as Fever Ray, Two Door Cinema Club, New Young Pony Club and La Roux. The most notable came in July of 2007 when they remixed the track Boyz from M.I.As sophomore album, Kala. The reworked track with an added club feel resulted in one of the most talked about remixes at the time. Their BBC Essential Mix is a perfect starting point to get an idea of what you will experience this April. Click Here

Very excited about The Twelves!

That live video of "warp" was fucking horrible though. WTF.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Duck Sauce

Duck Sauce is a DJ duo consisting of Armand Van Helden and A-Trak.Their first tracks "aNYway" and "You're Nasty" were released in September 2009. The track "aNYway" has capital letters to signify the band's origins in New York. The song is sampled from "I Can Do It" by Final Edition. In the summer of 2010, Duck Sauce released a track "Barbra Streisand", named for the singer of the same name. The track heavily samples Gotta Go Home by Boney M, which is based upon the original tune Hallo Bimmelbahn by the German band Nighttrain. The pair aim to produce disco house tracks. They will provide no shortage of grooves in 2011 thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Very excited about The Twelves!

That live video of "warp" was fucking horrible though. WTF.
    Direct feeds from a soundbaord arent always the best things for some acts. But you get the idea, everyone is gonna riot when they play.

Eh, it's more like "why bother playing that live?" I'm sure the energy is in the room, but that seems weird to have a live drummer playing something like that...I guess when it's all mic'd up right the kick has a lot more bite though. The vocals are really weird and offputting though,

I've never seen the Beetroots in any capacity though, so i'm curious. Thanks for the write-ups regardless.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Twelves
    FUCK YES
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.