Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Default Re: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Was it to hide it from the morons?
    Pretty much. The line-up section has something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Alright, I will do Yelle and PJ Harvey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Wheels Of Cheese

MOTHERFUCKIN' WIRE

I was sold up the river to the red slave trade
    The stores were gathered, the plans were laid
    Synchronized watches at 18:05
    How many dead or alive in 1955?

The pink flag was screaming, bugle boys sucked and blew
    No time for confessions, orders given
    Books were cooked on the 4th of the 3rd
    How many seen or heard on the 12th of the 3rd?

How many dead or alive?
    Looking back on Wire's first three albums, did any single band better illustrate the metamorphosis of Punk into Post-Punk? Unfortunately I don't think Bruce Gilbert is in the band anymore, but it should still be a blast. Here is Wire at their most "accessible":

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

I'm wary of typing a daunting text block about Arcade Fire, but I love these guys, and I wish I could articulate why and feel like I'd done them justice. They're not the greatest band on planet earth, and man did The Suburbs leave me cold; but I enjoy the living shit out of seeing them play and that'll do me. Coachella looks to be their very first performance off the back of their forthcoming release and accompanying live show, you lucky dogs you.

Arcade Fire, or The Arcade Fire to their mommas, are a CanadAmericaHaitian band comprised of a married couple, the groom's brother, a bundle of mutual friends who played at their wedding, and anybody else they've gathered up along the way since. This is well documented but worth noting, because despite having a roster reaching into double figures, they're an extremely tight knit cohort, both on and off stage. The National, among others, have reported how much they hate playing sports against them because "they can read each others minds".

As lead vocalist - and looking uncannily similar in aspect to some manner of recreational taxidermist - Win Butler provides the obvious focal point, but I'd argue that's a distinction that dissolves more or less the second they start playing. In contrast to Broken Social Scene's more free wheeling whoever's-handy-grab-a-guitar approach, Arcade Fire are very much a team; one single unit of people aiming at the same thing, however they might shoot for it. That tangible sense of community is something they bring to the stage for their shows, and indeed lend the audience, in a way few other bands match.

They have one self titled EP of small, slightly alt-country tracks. It's nice, but utterly eclipsed by their first album, the glorious Funeral; a messy, vital bundle of songs connected only by recurring themes of loss, youth, grief and strange adventures in familiar places. The song Wake Up, for which they're best known, comes from this album. Their second album, Neon Bible, has a considerably darker, flintier kind of defiance, and a lot of big, global menace and apocalyptic imagery. I love the hell out of Neon Bible, because I'm totally into that shit, but a lot of folks found it's monolithic sense of doom a bit hard to digest. Their third is The Suburbs about, obviously, suburban life. It topped all kinds of year end lists, but by and large I preferred it in concept to execution.

That's all fine, but it's their live show that matters. Although they may have lost the intimacy of small venues, it seems to me that most of their early material in particular swells to fill any space. The strength of any Arcade Fire set is directly related to the degree of crowd participation, and their songs make plenty of room to invite you and anybody else who cares to follow right in. Despite their slightly dour image, their shows are big, joyous communal occasions meant to be enjoyed in lots of company. They feel like a mongrel mix of things -drunken pub singalong and an army choir, a football terrace anthem and a revival meeting; a Flaming Lips show and a Nuremburg Rally. Often introduced in print as "multi-instrumentalists Arcade Fire", it's also fair to say that none of them are really virtuoso musicians or technically perfect singers. Instead, they hurl themselves into their music with such brute conviction it's hard not to be swept along into it. They very literally bleed and sweat into their performances, and if you do it right, so should you.

That's why I can see them so many times and never get bored. There's little I'd rather be doing than roaring along to, and with, Arcade Fire, with a bunch of friends and strangers, half drunk and hoarse, and worn out from dancing like an idiot with several thousand others.

The transition at around 5:20 of this is one of my very favourite things; I love how they break off into their own little jams and then snap back into a single unit like an indie fucking Voltron. I've seen it a load of times, and it never fails to make my pulse pick up.

Also, some pop:

In conclusion, I think that this would be a marvellous way to round off any Saturday night.

Last edited by MissingPerson; 01-20-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Sleigh Bells

Sleigh Bells is this hot chick named Allison I think and this dude that used to be in Poison the Well. Allison used to teach Jr. High I think, and a lot of her awesome lyrics are about jr. high school drama. It's sweet.

Anyway, Poison the Well was this stupid screamo kinda hardcoreish band from Brooklyn I think. Now, they basically just sample old George Clinton songs, loop it, add some blown out guitars, and then sing fucking super rad lofi pop over the top of all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Animal Collective

This is where I fucking nerd the fuck out on AC, because I've never gotten to see them live, and I've been a big fan for years. I know a lot of people around here hate on them, and their live shows have been described as a feast or famine type of thing, but I'm super fucking excited about finally getting to see them.

So, Animal Collective is 4 guys from Maryland. Avey Tare, Panda Bear, Deakin and Geologist. All of these guys, except Geologist I think, have also done extensive solo work which is also super bad ass and awesome. Really though, the two main guys are Avey Tare and Panda Bear. Some of their best work was done by just those two guys. Anyway, I'm pretty sure they all grew up and went to high school together and probably ate a lot of acid and listened to awesome shit like Pet Sounds and lots of Pink Floyd together.

Their first album was called Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished. Here's them playing Chocolate Girl, from that album, at Coachella 2008. I was watching Portishead.

So, they kept being awesome and everything and released some more albums and whatnot, and then in 2004 they released Sung Tongs and my face exploded apart. It's pretty much one of those albums where every song is bad ass and awesome, but if I had to pick one song from Sung Tongs to play for someone who didn't know about Animal Collective it would be "Who Could Win a Rabbit."

After that, they put out a couple more awesome albums, Feels and Strawberry Jam. I guess you could say that Strawberry Jam got them some of the commercial attention that they hadn't really hit on before. At the time, it was their best-selling album and everything, but whatever who gives a shit about that. It had this fucking jam on it:

So I guess after that, AC really kind of blew up and starting getting all huge. They put out Fall Be Kind and Merriweather Post Pavillion, which you've probably heard or you wouldn't have read all of this shit in the first place. I'm sure you've heard My Girls, What Would I Want? Sky and maybe even Brother Sport, so I'll refrain from youtubing them here, but if you haven't heard those songs, then fix that.

edit: On second thought, I guess maybe some people are reading this that have just never heard of Animal Collective at all and don't know anything about any of their music. That's cool, and for you, here is the regular album version of "What Would I Want? Sky" It's one of those songs with a long, slow, gracious buildup. It's beautiful and a little bit challenging. Animal Collective isn't the kind of band that cares about being radio friendly, and their live shows probably don't tend to exactly recreate the songs on their albums. These guys are fucking artists. If you give up on this song before like 3:00, you're really doing yourself a disservice. And don't just skip forward either, because that's a dick move.

In closing, I'm fucking nerding out on the fact that I'll finally get to see Animal Collective. I'm a much bigger fan of these guys than I've really let on, because I know how people look at them as some kind of stereotypical hipster douche assfuck band, and I sort of get it. But fuck you, these guys are god damn genius.

Last edited by DANCE MAGIC; 01-20-2011 at 02:08 AM.

I applaud your uniquely angry sincere recommendation.

I am so fucking glad that I finally get to see Animal Collective. The only real conflict possibility is Arcade Fire, and (no offense) but I do not give a fuck about Arcade Fire. I've never been happier about not giving a shit about a headliner.

The "no offense" thing was sweet. Have a blast.

The Aquabats

The Aquabats are a group of guys who dress up as superheroes. They started out as a third wave ska revival band in the mid-nineties, but as of late stick more closely to their Devo inspired brand of new wave/synthpoppunk. The band is known for their great sense of humor, over-the-top energetic shows, breaks in the shows for fighting with villains/commercials for action figures, and for being Travis Barker's pre-Blink 182 drumming gig.

Haven't seen them in 7 years, but loved their shows so much back then I packed in 5 shows in a 2 year period. Definitely worth checking out if you're unfamiliar, and worth revisiting if it's been a while.

Friday: Outkast, The Knife, The Replacements, Broken Bells, Girl Talk, Haim, Bryan Ferry
    Saturday: Lorde, Empire of the Sun, Fatboy Slim, Nas, Kid Cudi, Sleigh Bells, CHVRCHES, Mogwai, Bombay Bicycle Club, Holy Ghost!, The Internet
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Neutral Milk Hotel, Disclosure, Chance the Rapper, Starfucker, Superchunk, Poolside
    ----
    Robert DeLong - The Independent - Jan 28
    Mad Caddies - Slim's - Feb 8
    St. Vincent - Fox Theatre - March 22

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    The National among others have reported how much they hate playing sports against them because "they can read each others minds".
    hah. that's awesome.

Anyway, I am finally finished with her and working on her took quite a while because her body of work is so large. I didn't feel like I could describe her properly by a short description and throwing up a few youtubes because each album is so completely different. Also, lots of youtubes, which I apologize for. I will post one from each album and then link a separate one that will redirect you to the video. Fucking take the time and watch them all because this woman deserves your ears. It will be easier to dive into her body of work if you start with an album that suits your fancy a bit more and then working your way out.
    PLURcenta

Also, if you think that I need to add anything or anything I said is incorrect please kindly bring it up. It's really fucking intimidating to try to explain the work of someone I respect so much.
    PLURcenta

PJ Harvey

PJ Harvey is a singer/songwriter and musician from England. She has seven studio albums currently with a eight due out THIS MONTH. She also two collaborative albums with long time musical partner, John Parish. She primarily plays guitar, but she is proficient in piano, organ, bass, saxophone, and auto-harp. Her work is well known for it's diversity and it's heavy influence from American Blues. She likes to push herself to move outside her comfort zone and take risks, which is why I appreciate her body of work so much. I guarantee when she picks up her guitar and just starts going at it that everyone in attendance will be blown away. This will be my first time seeing her and as you can tell I am a huge fan, so fuck yes.

Dry (1992)

Her debut album. The lyrics are dark, twisted and beautiful and the album is powerful and raw. Polly Jean has said the reason it is so extreme is because she though it would be her last album. She plays guitar and violin on this record. She experiments with a lot of two-guitar harmonies.

Plants and Rags

Sheela-na-gig

Sheela na Gigs are carvings of women with an exaggerated vulva. So yeah, giant gaping vaginas.

Rid of Me (1993)

Even more raw and aggressive than her debut especially within the song-writing portion. She plays a lot with song structure. Most songs on this album are crafted with just a guitar, drums, and bass, though Man-sized Sextet has an awesome string part. A departure from her previous album, she focuses more on the electric guitar and distortion. Vocally, PJ starts experimenting with what her voice is capable of and pushing herself into a higher register.

Rub 'Til It Bleeds

50 Ft. Queenie

To Bring You My Love (1995)
    Largely considered her breakthrough album, To Bring You My Love was her best selling album. It marked the first of many collaborations with John Parish and Flood (famous for work with U2, Nine Inch Nails, and Depeche Mode). While her previous record deals mostly with the aggressive side of a relationship by talking about revenge and role reversals. This album focuses more on loss of a lover and the desire to have them back. There is loads of biblical imagery and even a few references to Captain Beefheart strewn about. Musically way more complicated than the previous two albums. Almost every song has two guitar parts. Acoustic guitar and string, which was used a few times in previous albums can be heard through a majority of the album. Also used are chimes, vibraphone, and keyboard. A bass is used rarely on this album and instead an organ is used to provide the deep rumbling.

Meet Ze Monsta

Down By The Water

Is This Desire? (1998)
    This album marked a departure from her original guitar driven songs and instead focused on developing an atmospheric feel centered around electronics, bass, and keyboards. This is the album that PJ Harvey herself is the most proud of because she experimented with a lot of different techniques. Overall, it's a sexy and moody album.

Joy

My Beautiful Leah

Stories From The City, Stories From the Sea (2000)

This album is the second major commercial success and argued by many critics to be her best effort. A drastic departure from the preceding album, this record has a lot of lushly layered melodies and sheds a lot of the darkness the previous records have had. It's beautiful and at time dances on the lines of dream pop. I need to mention of course that it features some back up vocals by Thom Yorke as well as a beautiful duet by them because most of you would have a boner over that. Lyrically, themes of love tied with her warmth for New York City dance along to these gorgeous melodies.

Horses In My Dreams

This Mess We're In (ft. Thom Yorke)

Uh Huh Her (2004)
    Fun fact- PJ Harvey played every instrument on this album outside of the final drums tracks. It was recorded over a two year period and was produced by herself. I think this is the closest we get to seeing a tender Polly Jean. It's moving, dark, edgy, and passionate. Some songs have remnants of her early guitar heavy work, but she is disgustingly gifted at pretty much every instrument she puts her hands on. In my opinion, this album conveys her range the best.

Who The Fuck?

This song ROCKS. Look at it. Don't you want to be in that crowd? But, I choose to display the one below to show the tender side of the record I referred to in the description.

You Come Through

White Chalk (2007)

This album Polly Jean shed some layers of alternative rock and applied some coats of folk. Despite her limited knowledge on the piano, PJ Harvey recorded a set of songs on it. Vocally she pushes herself to a higher register far beyond pitches in her normal range. Lyrics are very dark and moody.

The Devil

When Under Ether

Let England Shake (2011)
    This highly anticipated album drops soon! Let England Shake, the title track, is played on the auto-harp and features a loop of a sample from The Four Lads- Istanbul. She has said that she will be using politics as they effect people as the overall theme of the album. Several auto-harps tuned differently is supposedly the major instruments. The three songs released so far have been in my opinion the most experimental of all her releases especially in regards to her vocals.

Let England Shake
    I'm very torn on this song. I think it's beautifully creepy, but the loop boarders on irritating.

Written On The Forehead
    This song grew on me.

Last Living Rose

My favorite song released so far.

I won't go into her two albums with John Parish as I doubt many songs are pulled from there, but I will say that one of my favorite songs by her that we most likely will hear comes from Dane Hall at Louse Point. Just fucking listen to this.

Taut
    Last edited by Kyliediscope; 01-20-2011 at 03:17 AM.
    PLURcenta

Thank you Everyone for all the heart/soul/work that was put into this thread. This is truly the best one of 2011. Your contributions are PRICELESS!!!

Mount Kimbie

The duo from the UK have a sound that fits into the post dupstep future garage/bass genre. Their debut album Crooks & Lovers released on Hotflush has been very well received. They are good live - very chill.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Ramadanman

Here is another young producer from the UK rising in the ranks of the dubstep scene with a lot of future bass, garage, and minimal influences. With roots in hip hop and jungle, Ramadanman became influenced by Mala (also on the lineup, and I will do a write up next) and he began making more music with that sound. He has released a number of singles and EP's. His mixes that I have heard for Electronic Explorations and Bestival have been quite enjoyable. I'm including a video of his Night Air remix because I think it's fucking gorgeous.
    His sets include tracks from Burial, James Blake, dBridge, Joy Orbison, Headhunter, Mala, Kode9 etc...

Love the Guido track this vid ends with.
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Thanks Devin.

Guys, feel free to do some of the easy/obvious ones too. There has to be some people on the boards who haven't listened to Arcade Fire, The Chemical Brothers, or Kanye.
    i did kanye on page 1
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

PJ Harvey is kinda hot, huh?

Eeesh. I was going to do Animal Collective. When I get to work, I'm going to write up my take on them because there's a lot of...wrong (?) things in that post, it doesn't do a good job of establishing their importance/relevance. Fuck, I nearly wrote a book about them, so I think I can do them a bit more justice. I have to keep up my status as the O.G. AnCo groupie.

And I call Bright Eyes. If I didn't, I think 13 year old me would go cry in a river, or something. I'll also call Robyn, too.

Mala

Heavy yet minimal. Mala is 1/2 of Digital Mystikz, co-founder of DMZ (huge bimonthly event and label of the same name) and definitely considered one of dubstep's most popular producers. His sound is deep and very organic. This will be one heavy ass set and I flipped out when I saw him on the lineup. He and Coki as Digital Mystikz have been releasing tracks on their DMZ label since 2004 and have quite an extensive catalog. Mala definitely has the minimal and dub (reggae) influence on their tracks while Coki seems to be more wobbly - which is why I love Mala. I love it dark, deep, and minimal so this is just up my alley.

Coachella Junkie

Per quest of Gribbz, I'll have write ups done for Tame Impala and Chemical Brothers by the end of the day.

I'll also do Leftfield if no one else wants to.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by kitt kat View Post
    Eeesh. I was going to do Animal Collective. When I get to work, I'm going to write up my take on them because there's a lot of...wrong (?) things in that post, it doesn't do a good job of establishing their importance/relevance. Fuck, I nearly wrote a book about them, so I think I can do them a bit more justice. I have to keep up my status as the O.G. AnCo groupie.

And I call Bright Eyes. If I didn't, I think 13 year old me would go cry in a river, or something.
    they have both been done already with youtubes posted. no need to clutter and bore us with more hipster drivel.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    PJ Harvey

She's on fire there.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Ride a Tire! View Post
    The Aquabats

Haven't seen them in 7 years, but loved their shows so much back then I packed in 5 shows in a 2 year period.
    damn, there were times where i would pack in 5 shows in a 2 week period. oh, being young...

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Well done team. Will someone do London Suede? Is there a reason why people keep referring to them as "Suede" and not "London Suede?"
    They're the London Suede here because there was some other artist called Suede in the US, though the move didn't actually happen until after they'd released their debut album.

And, yes...

(The London) Suede

Suede hit during the birth of Britpop in the early '90s with a string of sexually ambiguous glam rock singles highlighted by Brett Anderson's fey whelp and Bernard Butler's spiraling guitar heroics. The band quickly set themselves apart from their contemporaries with themes of decadence and urban decay.

The recent Best of Suede compilation (curated by Anderson) is a more than worthy collection to get anyone started, with a disc containing nearly all the band's singles and a second disc made up of b-sides and album tracks primarily culled from their first two full length releases. Neither it nor the 2003 Singles collection featured the full version of the "Stay Together" single, which is fairly essential listening as well, as it was released between their first two albums.

I personally prefer the early material before Butler's reportedly acrimonious departure - Suede and Dog Man Star - and the b-sides compilation Sci-Fi Lullabies, which covers the Butler era and a few years beyond. As Anderson's own choices on Best of Suede also lean in that direction I'm comfortable with having (mostly) represented them that way in the videos below. Their later work is also worth a listen, and for many people - especially those in the UK who put all five singles from Coming Up and the first from Head Music in the top ten - Suede got better the longer they stuck around.

If you saw The Chase with Charlie Sheen and Henry Rollins, the song at the end before Chuckles goes out in a spray of bullets is "The Next Life," the closing track of Suede's debut. If you didn't see The Chase with Charlie Sheen and Henry Rollins, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Last edited by stuporfly; 01-20-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

I just wrote a Kanye write up and got logged out. FML. Starting over
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Take 2.

KanYe West

My other one was super long so this will be condensed. Thanks Coachella board and their time out rules.

Kanye West- A young Producer-rapper from Chicago actually started his career as strictly a producer. Gaining his name by producing for Talib Kweli, Mos Def and the likes he then gained his big break by producing for Legendary MC and Coachella alum Jay-Z and got signed to the label Roc-A-Fella

With help from fellow Roc-A-Fella owner Damon Dash he got signed as a producer-rapper instead of just a producer. (Jay-Z didn't believe in his skills at the time). During the time he was making his first album he got into a car crash that almost killed him but it also spawned his single that got him major attention.

Around the time of Kanye's first album College Dropout Hip Hop was in a state of big jewerly, baggy clothes, cristal and anything that screamed HEY I VOTED REPUBLICAN. And here comes this dude in tight clothes, pink polos, and rapping about topics nobody was at the time.

After that he teamed up with Jon Brion (of Fiona Apple fame) and improved on his sound creating his best album (IMO) Late Registration. His range of topics mixed in with his soulful production and Brion's use of orchestra proved to be a winning combination.

This album brought Kanye to the forefront of Hip Hop but he still hadn't reach being a house hold name. Then came his 3rd album Graduation while I believe this is his worst album some disagree. I believe he sacrificed some lyricism for production value but I guess it worked since it is his highest 1st selling week ever and is his best produced album.

And taking from one of the lyrics he achieved "Stadium Status" with this album when he went on The Glow In The Dark Tour. I never got to go to the tour due to the quick sell-out, but every one I know who went to it say the concert blew their mind.

After this tour he lost his mother to death and broke up with his fiance. Going through troubled times he choose to make the album 808s and Heartbreaks. A lot of hip hop purists didn't like this album (hell I didn't at first) for the autotune and singing and LLD wasn't the best 1st single. But this album had a lot of gems and really shows Kanye at his most vunerable.

After this album he went through the whole Taylor Swift, canceled Gaga tour and people were saying his career is over. I've never seen so much garnered hate for a man that didn't commit a crime (prior to Lebron leaving Cleveland). But he actually came back bigger and better with his 5th album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy recieving criticial acclaim from almost every single magazine and newspaper across the globe. It's going to be a treat to hear these songs in the proper atmosphere.

Here's some stuff that shows Kanye's prowess as one of hip-hop's greatest producers. Throughout his career, his sound has shown a wide range of styles and influences

More street/hip-hop oriented:

Orchestral:

Electronica:

That "Be" instrumental always gets me