Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Default Re: Tell Us About The 2011 Line-Up

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post

I'll take City and Colour. More to come later.

Do you remember the awful Canadian metal band Alexisonfire? Me too / neither. Well, this is their lead singer's solo folk...ish outfit. He tours with a band and will be VERY early in the day on Friday. He has haunting vocals and it will be something you can relax to in a tent with minimal heat, dancing and exhaustion.
    This guy did the melody for the Fucked Up song Black Albino Blues
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

All those OFF! songs are 1 minute long. Is that common in the punk world?
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Good punks don't live very long, they've gotta be quick.

It is common for hardcore punk, yes.

Also I did not know who was in OFF!, so woohoo!

Also the Joy Formidable shot up on my list. Hot damn they sound great. I will be buying that mini-album shortly and foaming at the mouth for more.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I'd love to do PJ Harvey, but I am not sure if I can do her justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Sasha.

Sasha is commonly a nickname for Alexander.

Oh wait, Push Play.

Sasha was born a long ass time ago in 1969 in Bangor Wales. Surely an appropriate time and place for a DJ to be born. In 1988, after listening to pop music he was first introduced to Acid house in a club in Manchester. Intrigued by both the attitudes and the music, his fearless nature immediately brought him into the heart of the burgeoning EDM scene in the UK at the time. His knowledge and confidence earned him an invite to perform his first show that year. Given that he did not know much at all about the actual knob twiddling details of DJ'ing his set was probably a bit of a train wreck. He later said "I'd never even touched a Technics: I thought the pitch control was the volume, I didn't even know where to plug my headphones in! I'm sure I was absolutely horrendous."

Not intimidated, and having a personality that does not accept failure or mistakes, he practiced, and learned his craft. By 1990 he was a staple of the underground, playing shows in Manchester, Eisley, Blackpool and more. He learned how to create music and mixes not by merely beat matching, but also using the skills of key matching and harmonic mixing. He began to layer classical music, a ccapellas, trance, acid house, piano house and more into increasingly complex forms. His focus on execution and melody began to earn him high accolades, he was on the very first cover of MIXMAG (A British Magazine for club kids who were sober enough to read). Soon enough, he was offered a position as a rotating dj at Renaissance - a club night similar to CONTROL here in LA. High profile, full of awesome. Renaissance also had a record label, to quote the wiki directly:

Renaissance has an associated record label which has featured releases from artists such as John Digweed, Sasha, Dave Seaman, Hernan Cattaneo, David Morales, Faithless, Satoshi Tomiie, James Zabiela and BT. Sasha and John Digweed met while resident DJs at Renaissance. Two years into their Renaissance residencies, they produced their first mix album, Renaissance - The Mix Collection Volume 1, which was released on the club's label 1993. This 3CD set became the first mix compilation to achieve gold record status.
    When Sasha and John Digweed met at Renaissance, they developed a strong working relationship quite quickly. They worked on track selection and developed a reputation for flawless mixing and transitions. They toured together for a greater part of the early 90's and began to gain a reputation as the first "Superstar Dj's". This entire time both of them had been not only achieving a sort of DJ stardom not yet encountered before, they had been actively producing tracks by a number of other artists. Again, to quote Wiki:

In 1997, Ministry of Sound released Northern Exposure 2, Sasha and Digweed's next double-CD entry in their Northern Exposure series. To support the album, the duo toured internationally, and in the process helped to define the sound of trance music in the late 1990s. After extensive touring, Digweed and Sasha took up residency at New York City's famous Twilo nightclub, where they would DJ for the entire night. In 1998, the two released separate mix albums on the Boxed label, as part of the Global Underground series: Digweed's Global Underground 006: Sydney, and Sasha's Global Underground 009: San Francisco, which drew from his experience touring on the West Coast of the United States. Both DJs formed their own record labels that year: Sasha created Excession Records and Digweed started Bedrock Records. Excession released fewer than ten records, the last in 1998; the experience, however, led Sasha to found the management agency "Excession: The Agency LTD." Excession remains a booking agency for many DJs, including Hybrid, Nick Warren, and Steve Lawler.
    Oh, click play

His reputation for excellence, as well as a considerable amount of experience releasing albums, began to get his work mainstream media attention. Sasha produced remixes for Madonna, Gus Gus, and many more. Wiki say's it better than me:

His success in pop music led him to score the music for the PlayStation video game Wipeout 3. In 1999, Sasha and Digweed reunited in the studio to record their third edition in the Northern Exposure series, Northern Exposure: Expeditions. In addition to mixing and DJing, Sasha joined Charlie May of Spooky to produce the Xpander EP, the title track of which many clubbers still view as "one of the greatest trance tracks of all time". He used the title track as a centerpiece for Global Underground 013: Ibiza, his second Global Underground release. Sasha continued his collaborations with BT on the track "Ride", which was released as a single on Yoshitoshi Records and on BT's Movement in Still Life. Soon after, he worked with Underworld's Darren Emerson on the single "Scorchio", Sasha's first charting single in four years.
    Dance music comes and goes, as do clubs and venues. When Twilo closed in 2002, Sasha and Digweed decided to tour the United States. Sasha really focused on creating more than just a great setlist, more than just great music. The focus was THE SHOW.

the tour covered 31 cities and played to 85,000 people. The appearances, complete with laser shows and video production, were more akin to rock concerts than to typical DJ events. This development was new to the DJing scene, and compelled other DJs to host similar concerts. A DVD of performance highlights, interviews, and behind-the-scenes footage was released as Sasha & John Digweed present Delta Heavy by System Recordings. Ben Turner, creator of the DanceStar awards, retrospectively described the Delta Heavy tour as "a landmark moment for electronic music".
    Now, go here: http://soundcloud.com/sashaofficial and listen to Sasha @ Pure Pacha 23/7/10

Sasha's next studio album, Involver, was "a fusion of mix album and production record", consisting entirely of Sasha's reworkings of tracks by other artists. "I tried to take all the separate sounds to all the tracks [and recombine them]", he later explained, "and it allowed me to mix the tracks together on a much deeper level." He accomplished this by sequencing the album using Ableton Live and Logic Pro.
    This is relevant because Sasha's live sets are full of win and awesome not because of amazing track selection (Although that is part of it) but rather because he disassembles songs into component parts and recreates them live, in a setting appropriate for the party location and mood. So what may be a dark and demonic set one night, might be a moody and eloquent set the following night, and the night after that interspersed with notes of happiness, joy, light and an uplifting mood.

Sasha has been voted one of the top ten DJ's in the world every year since the year 1997.

It is key to remember a few things when listening to a Sasha set.

1. It doesn't really get started until 10-25 minutes in.
    2. Although he plays lots of songs, think of it more as melodies intertwined to a beat. Think of listening to his sets as playing with your girlfriends long hair, there's so much to see and play with, but when you get to the root of it, the sexiest part is her brain. He brings it back after breaking it down, and he takes his sweet time. He will build up, and introduce notes and sounds, while then dropping a beat so loud and hard 22 minutes in that you realize you were dancing so hard, to no bass and didn't even realize it.
    3. Listen to his sets on soundcloud, not his songs on youtube. His songs are amazing, but he is a world class DJ, probably the best in the world and has a style that defined the most classic forms of electronic music, listen to him mix. Listen to him DJ.

Oh, and now that you have been listening to Sasha @ Pacha, download it to your Ipod. Go running with it, do some situps, get a workout done. Just listen to it, from beginning to end. Once you do that, go listen Sasha-Never Say Never @ Ushuaia Beach Club,Ibiza. Yes, you did hear Crystalized by the XX in there. It was beautiful.

Then, and only then, are you allowed to listen to THIS.

Now go find him on Friday night in the Sahara. He is going to bring it. Expect a huge live show that he has spent a metric shit ton of time and money on. He loves his festival sets more than anything else in the world (ahem, look at that Glasto set, arguably his greatest work and easily his best set ever) He's excited. You should be too.
    Last edited by emtgreg; 01-19-2011 at 08:42 PM.
    "It began as a mistake" - Charles Bukowski

Wanted:
    1. Nachos
    2. Puppies

Jesus Christ Greg.
    Bravo.
    I am going to have to sit and read this with a cup of tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

It's nice someone raised the bar. I wanted to do an Elbow one, but I didn't feel like spending the time it would take to do it right.

Quote Originally Posted by wscmx13 View Post
    Warpaint is an experimental art rock group from Los Angeles formed in 2004 currently composed of Emily Kokal (vocals/guitar), Theresa Wayman (vocals/guitar), Jenny Lee Lindberg (bassist/vocals), and Stella Mozgawa (drums/keyboards). The group has gone through many lineup changes, including actress Shannyn Sossamon and current Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist Josh Klinghoffer. They released their debut EP, Exquisite Corpse in 2009 and released their full length album, entitled The Fool on 25 October 2010.

Undertow

Billie Idol

Bees
    Aw hell!! I wanted to do Warpaint. You basically summed it up though. Good job. I'd like to add a few more videos to this. Two of my favorites.

Let me also add, Jenny is also Shannyn's sister and looks a lot like her.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Well done team. Will someone do London Suede? Is there a reason why people keep referring to them as "Suede" and not "London Suede?"
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    I'd love to do PJ Harvey, but I am not sure if I can do her justice.
    Oh yes you can. You love her more than I do. That is saying a lot.
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Well done team. Will someone do London Suede? Is there a reason why people keep referring to them as "Suede" and not "London Suede?"
    They go by both apparently.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post

This is relevant because Sasha's live sets are full of win and awesome not because of amazing track selection (Although that is part of it) but rather because he disassembles songs into component parts and recreates them live, in a setting appropriate for the party location and mood. So what may be a dark and demonic set one night, might be a moody and eloquent set the following night, and the night after that interspersed with notes of happiness, joy, light and an uplifting mood.

Sasha has been voted one of the top ten DJ's in the world every year since the year 1997.

It is key to remember a few things when listening to a Sasha set.

1. It doesn't really get started until 10-25 minutes in.
    2. Although he plays lots of songs, think of it more as melodies intertwined to a beat. Think of listening to his sets as playing with your girlfriends long hair, there's so much to see and play with, but when you get to the root of it, the sexiest part is her brain. He brings it back after breaking it down, and he takes his sweet time. He will build up, and introduce notes and sounds, while then dropping a beat so loud and hard 22 minutes in that you realize you were dancing so hard, to no bass and didn't even realize it.
    3. Listen to his sets on soundcloud, not his songs on youtube. His songs are amazing, but he is a world class DJ, probably the best in the world and has a style that defined the most classic forms of electronic music, listen to him mix. Listen to him DJ.

Oh, and now that you have been listening to Sasha @ Pacha, download it to your Ipod. Go running with it, do some situps, get a workout done. Just listen to it, from beginning to end. Once you do that, go listen Sasha-Never Say Never @ Ushuaia Beach Club,Ibiza. Yes, you did hear Crystalized by the XX in there. It was beautiful.

Then, and only then, are you allowed to listen to THIS.

Now go find him on Friday night in the Sahara. He is going to bring it. Expect a huge live show that he has spent a metric shit ton of time and money on. He loves his festival sets more than anything else in the world (ahem, look at that Glasto set, arguably his greatest work and easily his best set ever) He's excited. You should be too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    I only know them as Suede but have often heard them referred to as London Suede. I would like to know the real story though.

It's a legal thing, Matt. Someone else will explain.

I'll tackle (another?) band that doesn't really need to be explained but... whatever:

Interpol

Where to begin? This post-punk revivalist band burst onto the scene back in 2002 with their record, Turn on The Bright Lights. Though the usual Joy Division/Ian Curtis comparisons turn up in nearly every single article/review of the band's work, the group's prolonged existence has caused that criticism to diminish in recent years. The band has released three more records since TOTBL: The wildly underrated (and, in my opinion, on par with their debut) Antics, the wide-ranging and erratic Our Love to Admire and last year's self-titled record. I'll make no bones about my feelings concerning the record that came out last year: It. Fucking. Sucks. It's a terrible piece of crap and it confirms that the band's best years are behind them. That being said, their live set will consist of songs throughout their nearly decade-long career, and will hopefully lean on the pre-OTLA material.

That being said, here are some of my favorite Interpol songs, courtesy of Youtube:

Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I'm guessing there is an American band that had already taken the name. Therefore whenever they come here they are known as London Suede for legal reasons.

Just a guess though.

Bright Eyes.

Bright Eyes is the brainchild of Conor Oberst. They are a folk/acoustic/alternative outfit with a rotating lineup that has primarily consisted of Oberst and long time friends Nate Walcott and Mike Mogis since its second album, Fevers and Mirrors. Since 1998 his fanbase has amassed millions of whiny teenagers and early-adult alcoholics nationwide. Hopefully his absence from the pubic eye for the past two years has given Conor's fanbase some time to either commit suicide or grow up, so that just the alcoholics can enjoy his 4th appearance at the Polo.

I am optimistic about this year as his rumored recording lineup is just Oberst, Mogis, Walcott, M. Ward, and Jim James of My Morning Jacket. Hopefully we get the latter two if their schedules permit!

Anyway, a few videos.

Slightly corny, I know, but his performance is my biggest draw this year. Anyway, I hope you liked these videos, they were the best I could find.

This one too, great coming-of-age emo boi lyrix:

Last edited by Devin the Dude; 01-19-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Thanks Devin.

Guys, feel free to do some of the easy/obvious ones too. There has to be some people on the boards who haven't listened to Arcade Fire, The Chemical Brothers, or Kanye.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Christ, Gregipidea.

Might do Arcade Fire so, if there's no other takers.

Trentemøller is the moniker of Danish recording artist and live musician Anders Trentemøller. Though his work has been on the scene since the early 2000's he first received recognition for his own musical talent with his first album, The Last Resort (2006). Combining a wide range of vocal talent, live instrumentation, and musical genius, the Trentemøller Live experience at Coachella is sure to be a treat both for those aware and unaware of this man's passion for music. His 2010 album, Into the Great Wide Yonder was well-received by fans and promises to make for an excited show.

Youtubez:

This set will surely not disappoint.
    LOL! <33
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Might do Arcade Fire so, if there's no other takers.
    Yeah, that post was pretty much directed at you, Betao, and WhyTheLongFace.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

If no one has dibs on The Aquabats I can do them.

4/11-4/13 - Coachella
    4/26 - Dillinger Escape Plan / Trash Talk / Retox @ Porter's Pub
    5/2 - Circle Takes The Square @ Che Cafe
    5/28 - Eagulls @ Soda Bar
    7/1 - Deafheaven @ The Casbah
    7/11 - Cloud Nothings @ Soda Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasma Del Mar View Post
    If no one has dibs on The Aquabats I can do them.
    Go for it. I don't think I've listened to the Aquabats before.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i think this is all you really need to show to convince people to see The Aquabats
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Sold.

Actually I've seen the Aquabats twice.
    LOL! <33

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    i think this is all you really need to show to convince people to see The Aquabats
    ...or not.
    4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Well, if you don't like that, you probably won't like the music either, hahaha. Aquabats are FUN live.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Cults

When I searched for a little info on them, because I don't know a ton about them, this is the 1st and one of the only things I found. "There's more information on the wrapper of a candy bar than there is on the Internet about Cults. The band's got an un-Googleable name and no MySpace page in sight. They do, however, have a sparse Bandcamp page, where their first 7" is listed for release on December 23, 2012. We have discovered that they are a boy/girl duo, that they live in New York, and that they are both film students." -Pitchfork

I caught the end of their set this past fall and it was nice.

Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Has this historically been in the non-coachella section? I'm wondering why this isn't in the lineup thread. Was it to hide from the morons?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.