Page 68 of 71 FirstFirst ... 636465666768697071 LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2125

Thread: OFWGKTA is going to Coachella

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Default Re: OFWGKTA is going to Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    It almost makes you think you might actually want to know what you are talking about before you tell people things.

Festival Supreme - 10/25
    Afrika Bambaataa - 10/29 - Low End Theory
    Queens Of The Stone Age - 10/31 - The Forum
    OFWGKTA Carnival - 11/8
    Coachella '15 - 4/10-4/12

I won't mind seeing a Frank Ocean live set.

I wouldnt mind individual sets through out the weekend tyler, earl (maybe even earlwolf), frank, mellowhype, domo, mike g. They said they would start doing that soon why not start at coachella

Syd came into my store yesterday. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    Syd came into my store yesterday. That is all.
    That's neat. Where do you work?

She is on the cover of this week's LA Weekly.

tumblr_lxpd7u4HHW1r05xyxo1_500.jpg

Article:
    It's mid-December, and the corner of Fairfax and Oakwood is filled with teens in hoodies taking turns skateboarding over a wooden plank and biting the pavement.

"Oh shit!" yells Odd Future's Tyler, the Creator, rushing to join in. "Do it again!"

The sidewalk in front of the L.A. hip-hop collective's pop-up clothing and art shop on Fairfax becomes impassable as folks pour outside to watch the spectacle. They're here to celebrate the digital release of Purple Naked Ladies, the debut album from the Internet, an Odd Future subgroup featuring members Syd the Kyd and Matt Martians. The ethereal vibes from the work — the first release on Odd Future's eponymous label, hitting stores at the end of this month — are pumped from speakers out into the street.

In the shadows is Syd herself, Odd Future's resident DJ-producer-engineer. Despite a quickly rising profile, she's something of an outsider in the hotly discussed collective, which often is accused of being misogynistic and homophobic. Often glossed over is that Syd happens to prefer women.

And if you don't think that's a big deal, you're wrong: The notoriously gay-unfriendly world of hip-hop boasts not a single viable artist who has come out of the closet. Thus the 19-year-old born Sydney Bennett is literally its most famous gay person.

Tonight she hardly stands out from her male compatriots in her loose T-shirt, even looser jeans and a mohawk, and spends much of the evening observing the antics from the sidelines. As the night wraps up, she slips away without fanfare. It's strange behavior from an Odd Future member, considering the group thrives on attention-grabbing antics and controversy.

"[They're] my family," she says. "But people forget that half of Odd Future isn't like Tyler. It's more than just shock rap."

Indeed. Purple Naked Ladies departs from the aggressive, vein-popping hip-hop favored by other collective members. With Martians (né Matthew Martin) helming production and Syd on vocals, the album is a sort of pop experiment, a dissonant blend of electro, soul and psychedelia.

Having previously remained quietly behind Odd Future's turntables, Syd emerges on the album with a voice that's smooth, elegant and often quite fragile, couched in Martians' atonal electronic blips and arrhythmic beats. It's what Radiohead's Amnesiac might have sounded like with Sade on vocals.

"Who would ever think Odd Future's lesbian DJ would have a voice like that?" says Odd Future manager Kelly Clancy, who adds that Syd and Martians only began their project at the prodding of Clancy's husband and co-manager, Christian, who observed their chemistry behind the mixing board.

"Our music made it easier to express things we were going through personally," Martians explains.

Earlier that week, Syd and Martians are watching TV in the spacious Marina del Rey apartment they share with Mike G, who is also in Odd Future. A pair of kaleidoscopic laser projectors casts glowing, multihued shapes across the bare walls and ceiling; a flat-screen TV and an assortment of video game consoles sit on the carpet. The only furniture in sight is a sofa set and coffee table, harboring a vaporizer, colored pencils and a jumbo pack of Twizzlers. Elsewhere there's a drum kit, an acoustic guitar and the small living room studio where the duo cut their album.

"This right here is all we need," Syd says. "We don't leave the apartment unless we have to."

Syd hasn't been long out of her parents' house. She and her 17-year-old brother, Odd Future member Taco, grew up in Inglewood, children of a wholesale toy buyer father and a DJ turned stay-at-home mom. Self-conscious and racked with low self-esteem, Syd transferred during her sophomore year from Palisades High School to the Hamilton High Music Academy. She was depressed, she says, in part due to struggles with her identity and sexuality.

Odd Future seem to have helped bring her out of her shell, and her partnership with Martians is particularly inspiring. The duo struck up a MySpace friendship (which inspired their group name) in 2007 while he was working as a producer near Atlanta. Meanwhile, Syd met Odd Future's Hodgy Beats when he tagged along to a friend's session that she was engineering. The collective coalesced, and she became their go-to studio gal.

Now, the lithe Syd folds herself, catlike, into an office chair, while the bald and burly 23-year-old Martians sprawls across the sofa. Self-described best friends, they share frequent belly laughs and an uncanny chemistry. "Here's the thing about shock value," Syd starts, before Martians finishes her sentence. "You have to strike a nerve in any kind of way, because the world is so desensitized."

They're speaking of the video for the Internet's first single, "Cocaine," in which Syd picks up a doe-eyed girl at a carnival, gets her to snort the white powder, makes out with her and then shoves her out of a truck when she passes out. Upon its November release, Syd faced criticism. "[The video] completely degrades the kind of positive media attention lesbians and women have fought for," opined writer Courtney Gillette in a piece for queer women's media site Afterellen.com, calling her "just as careless and offensive as the rest of Odd Future."

But Syd says such reactions miss the point. The song's lyrics, like, "Baby just ignore the consequence/You look like you could use a little confidence," are reactions to the drugs and vice that have accompanied Odd Future's newfound fame. "I haven't tried cocaine," she says, exasperated. "[The whole point is] don't go to a carnival and do cocaine with a stranger! Or someone who would kick you out of a car for O.D.ing!"

Curiosity about Syd tends to focus on two things: her sexuality, and how she can tolerate being in a group known for homophobic and misogynistic slurs.

The former, she prefers not to address directly. "I hate the word lesbian," Syd says. Although she's comfortable with who she is, she worries that talk of her personal life will overshadow her music. "I don't want anyone saying, 'Oh, that's dope, for a gay girl.' "

"Look, I don't represent bald niggas," Martians adds. "And Syd doesn't represent women or gay people."

As for Odd Future's slurs — NME reported more than 200 variations of "******" on Tyler's album Goblin — Syd maintains they're not meant to be taken literally. "We know where we cross the line, but we also think the world would be a much better and funnier place if people weren't so offended by it. One thing you can't say about Tyler is that he's a liar. He's not really out there raping girls. He tells you that they're fantasies."

Odd Future are currently working on a group album, due out this year. The question lingers: Where does Syd fit in among all the vitriol? "We're all very honest people," she explains. "We try really hard to be ourselves. Because it's a struggle sometimes."

She accuses Alicia Keys, Queen Latifah and Missy Elliott of being closeted lesbians and laments the lack of "openly dyke" artists for her to look up to. That's where she comes in, she says, noting that she's been flooded with fan mail for her openness in the "Cocaine" video.

"If I could help open a door for someone, who knows what I could do next?" she says, hugging her knees to her chest. "It took me a very long time to be comfortable in my own skin. I would love if everyone could be that happy."

Quote Originally Posted by ducktale View Post
    I wouldnt mind individual sets through out the weekend tyler, earl (maybe even earlwolf), frank, mellowhype, domo, mike g. They said they would start doing that soon why not start at coachella
    Earl's still at an academy in Samoa.
    Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I think it's complete fucking bullshit to go from a year with Mount Kimbie, Ramadanman, Kode 9, Joy Orbison, and Goth Trad (not to mention all the dnb) to getting Datsik, Borgore, Flux Pavillion, and Doctor fucking P.
    2013 Wishlist:
    Joker - Matty G - Mala - Loefah - Darkside - Youngsta - Joe Nice - Biome - Burial - Compa - Pinch - Kryptic Minds - Zomby - Phaeleh - Skream (screw Benga) - Hatcha - Truth - Tunnidge - Lurka - Phace - Black Sun Empire - London Elektricity - A Tribe Called Quest

they're touring again in March as a whole.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    they're touring again in March as a whole.
    Yup. Odd Future Compilation is on the way. I'm guessing it'll come out around then.

Then Mellowhype's Numbers and Tyler's WOLF.

OF Press Release

- OF Tape Vol. 2 comes out March 20th on Odd Future Records.

- Loiter Squad Adult Swim show premiers March 25th.

- 10 city national tour in March along with OF Pop-Up Shops in each city.

- WOLF in May.

- Mellowhype's Numbers this summer.

- and The Internet's "Fastlane" video on thursday night.

(also Frank Ocean's debut album is finished and will come out on Def Jam sometime this year. He's also going to be featured on the G.O.O.D. Music album [Kanye's label] that comes out this Spring.)

Bow.

i wonder if GOLD is ever going come out.

I havent listened to OF in a longg time, kinda burnt myself out on them. Can't wait to hear all these new releases and get hyped on them again!

10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory
    11/7 Dean Blunt @ Jewel's Catch One

They were the act i really followed and kept up with all of last year im a fan, can't wait to hear numbers hope im able to catch em live again.

So uh...is Earl back?

that's cool, I guess.

I've been following this really closely the past few days, and lot it feels really strange. Mostly it's the people he's working with.

Then there's this: https://twitter.com/#!/KILLHodgy/sta...07769467617280

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Feb 8th was the date that they were talking about a while back
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

I hope he comes out with Frank @ Coachella
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

http://terttlefer.com/

Earl's new song. Can't wait to hear more.

Sounds like Sly...

Yeah, this is definitely strange. Something isn't right.

Dude. Holy shit.

Facebook // Twitter // Blog // Tumblr // Instagram
    Coachella: 04,06,07,09,10,11,12(1&2),13(1&2),14(1&2)
    Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events
    Holy Ship! 1/3-6/2015, Coachella 4/10-12&17-19/2015

Upcoming shows
    Placebo 10/23, Charli XCX 10/25, Warpaint 10/27, Digitalism 11/7, First Aid Kit 11/13, Tegan & Sara 11/14, Tame Impala 11/15, Sky Ferreira 11/23&24
    Events

It's tight, though. It's just strange, Earl still has never directly addressed fans publicly, yet. I don't think it's a hoax, at all, but something is off.

I don't trust Leila Steinberg and these AIM people one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by xanman86 View Post
    read more of his twitter. he doesn't actually seem happy about it, at all.

Even taco and christian clancy have tweeted about earl now. I think part of their plan is to talk about this like its not a big deal or that it is something shitty they all have to deal with just because thats how they are lol

Upcoming shows
    Events

Fuck me, they are playing in SF the same night as Jeff Mangum. I can't miss Jeff Mangum to see OF again...

Upcoming shows
    Events

Even taco and christian clancy have tweeted about earl now. I think part of their plan is to talk about this like its not a big deal or that it is something shitty they all have to deal with just because thats how they are lol
    Are you aware of the whole Steinberg management situation? Taco's last tweet seems to imply that they sort have to deal with Steinberg/AIM/Earl's Mom's influences until he's 18. These next few weeks should be interesting. Glad to know he's back.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Are you aware of the whole Steinberg management situation? Taco's last tweet seems to imply that they sort have to deal with Steinberg/AIM/Earl's Mom's influences until he's 18. These next few weeks should be interesting. Glad to know he's back.
    Oh damn that sucks. It'll be fun to follow.

I might have to get a VIP ticket to Paid Dues fest, it says it includes meet and greet. Whaaaaa??

Upcoming shows
    Events

Oh damn that sucks. It'll be fun to follow.

I might have to get a VIP ticket to Paid Dues fest, it says it includes meet and greet. Whaaaaa??
    I wouldn't count on Earl touring with them this Spring, but ya never know.