Page 2 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OFWGKTA is going to Coachella

vinylmartyr

Default Re: OFWGKTA is going to rape Coachella

Still waiting to hear something I like.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylmartyr View Post
    Still waiting to hear something I like.
    Well, they definitely aren't for everyone. Earl, however, is probably the best starting point if you're interested...

The mysterious Earl Sweatshirt

Earl (real name Thebe) is originally from Sacramento, where I believe he met Tyler for the first time, whose mom had moved him up there for a short period. Earl eventually moved to LA and started rapping.

He had an online journal for sometime and went by the name Sly Tendencies before he joined Odd Future:

http://slytendencies.blogspot.com/se...&max-results=7

March 9, 2009:
    I'm Sly. I'm fifteen. I like to write music...
    Little Basic Info: I've been writing for a bit, and i've been spitting since like the sixth grade. I sucked ass until about seven months ago, when I hit an epiphany.. I'm not quite sure exactly what it was, but it was for the better. I rap.

He later changed his name to Earl Sweatshirt and joined the Wolf Gang as a skater and a rapper. His debut album EARL came out March 31st, 2010. It is very short however, clocking in at just under 25 minutes. He is far and away the best pure rapper of the group. His rhyming skills are ridiculous. He can be funny, serious, scary, emotional, metaphorical etc. etc…

There have been many rumors as to where Earl is and why. This is a direct quote from one of OF's managers. "His mom sent him to boot camp/boarding school for 2 years." He left at the beginning of June, 2010. He turns 18 in February of 2012, at which point his mom would no longer have any legal right to keep him there. As for why he is there, I'm not quite sure. Thrasher mag said it had something to do with a skateboarding ticket. The more likely rumors have to do with the fact that he was lying to his mom about going to study, when in fact he would be at Syd's studio smoking weed and rapping about killing people, raping women, using homophobic slurs (his mom is a lesbian) and talking about various other subjects no mother would like to hear come out of her 16 year-old son's mouth. It's probably a combination of all of those.

Apparently, he has no idea of how big Odd Future has become since he left. I'm just concerned that he is going to get brainwashed or something in that camp and come back a completely different person. In any event, until he returns, whenever that may be. We have this to hold us over:

"Limbs swingin' axes at you antonyms of savages and praying that it damages, your hobby's what my passion is."

"Wolf Gang, we ain't barkin', nah, try talkin' on a blog with you fuckin' arms cut off."

"So I'm guessin' there's questions that need addressin' huh? Like how we fresh in our adolescence and wreckin' 'em."

"Mrs. Claus trippin' balls, I think she had enough, and by enough I mean we dope as fuck. She had a gram of us."

"Sick, cynical cyanide spitter, so when I kick rhymes my victims die quicker"

I just found out about these guys last month and I am SO pleased they will be at Coachella this year. Fuck yes!
    That which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music - Aldous Huxley

Hooked since '06

Check my latest music video

I hope they have meet and greets.

Earl and tyler are the best,

Domo Genesis

Domo Genesis is sort of a stereotypical weed rapper. What really sets him apart though is the left-field, tripped out production he gets from Tyler and Left Brain. Dude can definitely rap too. He's kind of similar to Jasper, just trade skateboarding ability with rapping ability. One of the mottos from his debut album Rolling Papers, is: "smoking weed, fucking bitches and eating cereal". He joined the group in late 2008 (I believe), when he and Tyler became good friends at Westchester High. Since then he has been at ASU, but plans to drop-out in order to focus more on music. His first time performing live with Odd Future was on December 1st at the Echo.

Kickin' It - this is what being in a weed coma sounds like (prod. by Tyler) - fan video:

Domier - probably his best verse (prod. by Left Brain):

Drunk (prod. by Tyler):

His new yet-to-be-titled sophomore album is due out this Spring.

Man, how do you know so much about these guys?

Also, I thought Syd did most of the production work, but from what you're saying, that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyway, these guys are bad ass and I can't wait to see them live.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    Man, how do you know so much about these guys?
    I'm a huge nerd. Oh, and the internet.

This thread is awesome. Could you do Hodgy Beats next?

Also, from what I've read, it kinda seems like these kids are rich suburbanite type kids. It doesn't change my opinion of them one way or the other, but do you know what part of LA they're from? I mean, are we talking about kids that grew up in Agoura Hills or what?

Also, from what I've read, it kinda seems like these kids are rich suburbanite type kids. It doesn't change my opinion of them one way or the other, but do you know what part of LA they're from? I mean, are we talking about kids that grew up in Agoura Hills or what?
    From what I have gathered, Syd and Taco's family is the most well-off, hence the home studio/guest house. They live near Crenshaw/Washington. I think Earl is middle class. Tyler was raised by a struggling single mom who moved around the city a lot. Most of them are from Ladera/Hawthorne mid city areas. Mostly middle/working class families I believe. Definitely not rich kids... but they might be soon.

well someone associated with them clearly has some funding. i saw a korg m3 in one of those pictures, and those things are not cheap.

but whatever. it doesn't matter. i was just curious, because someone in another thread started to bitch about how they're just rich kids rapping about raping bitches.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure about the Super 3's ^^^ background that much, they are from Atlanta and might be more well off. The LA kids get lots of free shit from the Diamond/Supreme/Hundreds stores on Fairfax because they hang out there all the time. They also have a couple managers with lots of pull in the industry as well as friends from the Sa-Ra collective who provide them with lots of production equipment.

So, I keep hearing about their solo endeavors. Any album plans that involve the group as a whole?
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    So, I keep hearing about their solo endeavors. Any album plans that involve the group as a whole?
    Their first release, the Odd Future Tape came out in 08 and was a collective album. It has it's moments, but you can tell they were still finding themselves. Also, Radical is a mixtape that features the whole group, but it's all previously used beats, no original production. It's quite good too, it's a good entry point for new listeners that gives a nice complete picture of the group as a whole.

I haven't heard anything about a collective project in the future, maybe when Earl gets back. All of the solo records for the most part have a song with each member though.

Ah, cool. I ask because all I've seen on the boards is solo material. Mind sending me a link for those mixtapes? They're not on what.cd for some reason.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

GV needs to pay off Earl's mom like stat

Ah, cool. I ask because all I've seen on the boards is solo material. Mind sending me a link for those mixtapes? They're not on what.cd for some reason.
    All of the albums are up for free download at oddfuture.com at the top of the page.

Here's Radical: http://oddfuture.tumblr.com/day/2010/05/07

FUCK STEVE HARVEY

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

Do they have more songs like Orange Juice? Like where they're rapping super aggressive with anger BUT not about rape
    Kaaaaast

That second Earl video that was posted is terrifying. I started listening to them out of sheer curiosity, but that video... I mean a kid starts pulling his teeth out in it. Should be quite a show

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Do they have more songs like Orange Juice? Like where they're rapping super aggressive with anger BUT not about rape
    Yeah, most aren't about that, Tyler is the main offender. Some of the Earl songs I posted earlier you might like. "Kill" has crazy rhymes (and even a reference to BasedGod!), "Drop" and "Cool" are all great Earl songs, still pretty violent and misogynistic, but no direct rape references. Anything by MellowHype, (check out "Fuck The Police"), Domo, and Mike G are all devoid of that stuff.

As for Tyler, check out "Sandwitches" and "Seven".

Quote Originally Posted by DasRacist View Post
    FUCK STEVE HARVEY
    why do they hate steve harvey so much? i mean, if its just because steve harvey sucks, i can get behind that. but is there a more specific reason?

why do they hate steve harvey so much? i mean, if its just because steve harvey sucks, i can get behind that. but is there a more specific reason?
    They think he and/or his son is a dick or something like that. They cover it on a Shade 45 interview
    Friday Lou Reed, Modest Mouse,Beach House,Infected Mushroom, Johnny Marr,Wolfgang Gartner, Four Tet, TNGT, Earl Sweatshirt, Lee Scratch Perry, Dam Funk

Saturday
    the XX, New Order, Knife Party, Violent Femmes, SMD, Major LAzer, 2 Chainz, Danny Brown, Booka Shade, Bingo Players, Pusha T, Trash Talk

Sunday
    RHCP, Nick Cave, Vampire Weekend, Social D, Wu Tang,Eric Prydz, Lumineers, James Blake, Grimes, Raider Klan, Roni Size, Smith Westerns

Listening to the mixtape now. I dig it, and these guys definitely have skill... but some of the lyrical content really turns me off. Everything is "rape, "***" etc.

Man, I sound so old.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Listening to the mixtape now. I dig it, and these guys definitely have skill... but some of the lyrical content really turns me off. Everything is "rape, "***" etc.

Man, I sound so old.
    Naw, I think that's completely normal. You should probably be worried if you hear some of that stuff and not be turned off a little bit. I think that's sort of why they do it. At that age, nothing is really offensive, but they know that to most normal people it is. Nothing you're hearing is out of the ordinary from what goes on in lots of conversations between guys that age, especially in the kind of environment many of them grew up in. They just love to push buttons. I remember when I was that age I loved to do the same thing, just say super offensive shit to see people's reactions. I grew out of it and I think they will too eventually. But for now, it's kind of nice hearing these kids say whatever is on their minds and truly not give a shit about what people think about them, no matter how deplorable it might make them seem.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
    Naw, I think that's completely normal. You should probably be worried if you hear some of that stuff and not be turned off a little bit. I think that's sort of why they do it. At that age, nothing is really offensive, but they know that to most normal people it is. Nothing you're hearing is out of the ordinary from what goes on in lots of conversations between guys that age, especially in the kind of environment many of them grew up in. They just love to push buttons. I remember when I was that age I loved to do the same thing, just say super offensive shit to see people's reactions. I grew out of it and I think they will too eventually. But for now, it's kind of nice hearing these kids say whatever is on their minds and truly not give a shit about what people think about them, no matter how deplorable it might make them seem.
    Yeah, I was actually talking about that earlier with a friend. I totally get the age thing. I would have loved OFWGKTA when I was in High School. I think they'll grow out of the who rape/*** thing eventually.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

SWAG ME OUT BITCH!
    Kaaaaast

Lurker

I wonder if Wiz will catch their show...
    Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    yeah the whole thing struck me as kind of a scumbag operation, honestly

Upcoming Odd Future shows:

Washington DC - U Street Music Hall - 2/14
    New York - Santo's - 2/15
    Philadelphia - The Barbary - 2/17
    San Francisco - Slim's - 2/22

Also, this update on their site:

"EARL WILL NOT BE AT COACHELLA. SUCKS, BUT ***** IS GONE. SORRY. FREE EARL. GOLF WANG."