Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Did Lou Reed Cancel?

Default Why Did Lou Reed Cancel?

what were the unavoidable complications?

This sucks, I don't want to go to Coachella now.

I want refund
    "why are you so annoying" TheKlein25

Default Re: Why Did Lou Reed Cancel?

Too bad.

He is suffering from vaginally transmitted HIV
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

F&*% a Lou Reed!

I bought a ticket just for Lou Reed and I want a suitable replacement or I want my money back. Fuck this shit.

old school

My theory:

Tollett does the set times about 3 weeks out and lets the artists know soon after.

If you look at the Friday lineup it's possible the best they could offer Lou is 4-5th spot main stage, 2-3rd Outside or even a tent spot. Lou was a subheadliner at Lolla 2009.
    http://stereogum.com/img/lolla09-sunday-sched.jpg
    I could see a scenario where Lou said "get me a better spot or I stay in NYC" and for better/worse GV let the pieces fall where they did.

Lou bailed on a show in Europe and one in New Jersey in the past 6 months without giving a reason. I've seen him bailed on a couple Canadian TV interviews in the 80's/90's within minutes. it's not a work visa or rehearsal issue with 3 weeks to go. it's not a health issue as recent video shows nothing out of the ordinary and you can still buy tickets for wife Laurie Anderson's Caroline/California mid April shows. No speculation on Lou's health anywhere and GV unceremonally dropped his name.

The only thing I wonder about is what Language Lou had in his contract regarding billing/set times and the strength of his "out" clause.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    I bought a ticket just for Lou Reed and I want a suitable replacement or I want my money back. Fuck this shit.
    stop being a baby
    Everyones a Photographer.

So you bought a $300+ ticket to a music festival to see one act? Who also had a solo show not that far away around the same time? Smart.

This doesn't explain why he cancelled the rest of the mini-tour. I'm guessing health reasons.

In b4 replacing him with Daft Punk omgyoloswag
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceArthur32 View Post
    what happens if someone makes a masturbation while i dancing so fast?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Ohh are you laughing Lithium??! You are soooo cool. You know so much more than everyone else don't you? Nerd.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbellingham View Post
    Thanks for your comment, Major Asshole (Lithium )

go fuck yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    My theory:

Tollett does the set times about 3 weeks out and lets the artists know soon after.

If you look at the Friday lineup it's possible the best they could offer Lou is 4-5th spot main stage, 2-3rd Outside or even a tent spot. Lou was a subheadliner at Lolla 2009.
    I could see a scenario where Lou said "get me a better spot or I stay in NYC" and for better/worse GV let the pieces fall where they did.

Lou bailed on a show in Europe and one in New Jersey in the past 6 months without giving a reason. I've seen him bailed on a couple Canadian TV interviews in the 80's/90's within minutes. it's not a work visa or rehearsal issue with 3 weeks to go. it's not a health issue as recent video shows nothing out of the ordinary and you can still buy tickets for wife Laurie Anderson's Caroline/California mid April shows. No speculation on Lou's health anywhere and GV unceremonally dropped his name.

The only thing I wonder about is what Language Lou had in his contract regarding billing/set times and the strength of his "out" clause.
    it's just speculation, but this seems plausible and consistent with the known facts.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by roomtone View Post
    This doesn't explain why he cancelled the rest of the mini-tour.
    If he leveraged all California dates to try to get a better time slot, a lost poker bluff means they are all cancelled.

But he also cancelled the accompanying tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Bumblebee is making sense.

Time to blow up the board.
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by fistacuffs View Post
    So you bought a $300+ ticket to a music festival to see one act? Who also had a solo show not that far away around the same time? Smart.
    I had a ticket to that too.

And that's who they usually book for festivals, acts people want to buy tickets to see. DUH.

Rolwolf

My theory:

That's pretty reasonable as far as baseless speculation goes. My first thought upon seeing him off the poster was that maybe, somewhere deep down in the contract, there actually is language insisting on what the artist has to play (nothing specific - just something about a percentage of the performance having to be original songs from the artist's recorded catalogue). Lou seems like the kind of guy who might want to maintain his freedom to stand up there and recite The Raven or something like that, so when Lou's agent mentioned to him that - hey, pulling that sort of stunt would entail a breach of contract - he decided to bail rather than cave.

My theory:

But he's been around long enough to know that most wristband holders don't even know who he is, if he was subheadlining the mainstage, everyone but me and 20 other people would head for the tents.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolwolf View Post
    That's pretty reasonable as far as baseless speculation goes. My first thought upon seeing him off the poster was that maybe, somewhere deep down in the contract, there actually is language insisting on what the artist has to play (nothing specific - just something about a percentage of the performance having to be original songs from the artist's recorded catalogue). Lou seems like the kind of guy who might want to maintain his freedom to stand up there and recite The Raven or something like that, so when Lou's agent mentioned to him that - hey, pulling that sort of stunt would entail a breach of contract - he decided to bail rather than cave.
    No one at GV tells an artist what to play.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

But he's been around long enough to know that most wristband holders don't even know who he is, if he was subheadlining the mainstage, everyone but me and 20 other people would head for the tents.
    he's also an egomaniac
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

old school

7th act billed for the entire Lolla 2009 weekend. 5th Friday act for Coachella 2013.

The schedule is too tight to pull a Sly Stone.

BEE STING

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

If you payed $349 to just see Lou Reed there's no hope for you. Something traumatic must have happened to you as a child that scrambled your brain. Lou Reed cancelled because he's an old man with osteoarthritis that doesn't belong at Coachella, obviously.

Good news though! There's a slough of shitty old bands playing this year! One is even HEADLINING, oh boy!

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

And that's who they usually book for festivals, acts people want to buy tickets to see. DUH.
    So why would you buy a ticket to a FESTIVAL to see one artist? That defeats the whole point of a festival. Suck it up you baby.

old school

So why would you buy a ticket to a FESTIVAL to see one artist? That defeats the whole point of a festival. Suck it up you baby.
    Would you have said the same thing if the Pixies cancelled in 2004?

I heard he read that Ray Parker Jr might get added and didn't want to be upstaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

hezzz crazyezz likez morrisseyzz cancelzz forzzz nothingzzz

and SMA finally posts a pic
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

I was going to watch some of the other bands while I was there, I just really wanted to see Lou Reed. He was the hook. There is no one else that important on the bill really.