Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Death From Above 1979

Default Re: Death From Above 1979

Missed them. My big regret for 2011. I was out in the campgrounds recharging my car battery after it died.
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

DFA fuckin killed

headbangin' moshin' mayhem is what that wuz
    1L☮e.

CHAOS

I really wish i got closer for them.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

One of my favorite fucking sets for sure!
    As physically dead as I was the moment they started playing I started throwing my body convulsively and throwing fists blindly. I was camped out right in front of the sound board and I could tell the people around me were not there for DFA. In fact, I'm half expecting to see a video of myself on youtube titled "crazy girl with scarf goes nuts at Coachella"...

i showed up before Nas & Damian Marley and got close for that and then moved even closer for DFA, and i actually wish i hadn't been quite so close. right at the very center/front (with maybe 3 people between me and the rail), the volume was way too low, and being right behind all the kids who were there for Duran/Strokes/Kanye (and just got battered rather than fight back), it was brutal - more a sea of pressed-together bodies being pushed back and forth than a mosh pit. by the end of the set, all of my clothes were soaked through with mine and others' sweat - it looked like i had jumped in a pool with my clothing on, and i was actually able to wring some out of my shirt as i was heading back to my campsite for a shower/clothing change

this should have closed a tent/the outdoor so that those of us who were excited about DFA could enjoy it properly, and the pop-oriented people didn't have to deal with it (and in many cases, get hurt)

Amazing show! so much energy! Loved it

I was laying down in the grass for most of their set. It was actually some really relaxing music.

Quote Originally Posted by strangelove13 View Post
    i showed up before Nas & Damian Marley and got close for that and then moved even closer for DFA, and i actually wish i hadn't been quite so close. right at the very center/front (with maybe 3 people between me and the rail), the volume was way too low, and being right behind all the kids who were there for Duran/Strokes/Kanye (and just got battered rather than fight back), it was brutal - more a sea of pressed-together bodies being pushed back and forth than a mosh pit. by the end of the set, all of my clothes were soaked through with mine and others' sweat - it looked like i had jumped in a pool with my clothing on, and i was actually able to wring some out of my shirt as i was heading back to my campsite for a shower/clothing
    I had the exact experience. I started walking towards the exit and then thought, It's fucking Sunday and I just saw DFA, I'm going back in. I went to the National, dehydrated, full of other peoples sweat and of course tired as fuck. I sludged on through the night and danced my ass off at Leftfield. There is no stopping @Coachella!

I was in the middle, front area. At one point a tall girl in a black dress got shoved behind me into my back. Such a turn on a seeing a cute girl that close all sweaty and dancing. Afterwards I went back to semiblocking bros from knocking me and small girls down. Felt kinda bad for these kids. Research! Props to chick in the right pit who kept up for 5minutes before getting blindsided.
    Last edited by Sleeping Lion; 04-19-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Saved two girls at DFA. Come at me karma.
    COACHELLACOLLECTIVE

I fucking loved DFA, but I was pretty scared for my life at times haha.
    Some girl before DFA was pushing and shoving through everyone to get the the front. My friend said to mimic her: "Oh yeah, I have to be in the front." She turned around and said: "Well, I'm waiting for Duran Duran." Nice fucking excuse. She came out of the pit crying.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ethanriver7 View Post
    Nice fucking excuse. She came out of the pit crying.
    good
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

still super bummed that the sound sucked. on top of it being too quite, the mic levels were royally fucked. left halfway through and went to sven všth.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    To be fair, the chromosomal differential between candy raver kids and drunken NASCAR cowboy-types are virtually indectable.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    mmblack = Paul Tollett

Memorial_07

Quote Originally Posted by MissBellaHell View Post
    I saw some guy getting pissed at the girls crowd surfing and yell fuck you bitches after tossing them over the rails. Very aggro.
    I saw that same asshole. Fuck that dude.
    Was he wearing a hat?

He was punching dudes crowd surfing in the back and in the head. I was just trying to get them the fuck over the barricade. I wasn't about to be kicked in the head and lose my glasses again but damn, you're a music festival. Don't hit people trying to get out in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeping Lion View Post
    I had the exact experience. I started walking towards the exit and then thought, It's fucking Sunday and I just DFA, I'm going back in. I went to the National, dehydrated, full of other peoples sweat and of course tired as fuck. I sludged on through the night and danced my ass off at Leftfield. There is no stopping @Coachella!

I was in the middle, front area. At one point a tall girl in a black dress got shoved behind me into my back. Such a turn on a cute girl , then I went back to semiblocking bros from knocking me and small girls down. Felt kinda bad for these kids. Research! Props to chick in the right pit who kept up for 5minutes before getting blindsided.
    I had to shower to warm up - i was so drenched, my fingers looked like i had been in a pool all day - by the time i got away from the pit and the wind hit me, i just started shivering - but i rehydrated/ate a little at my camp site, showered and changed and made it back in plenty of time to catch the Strokes

as for blocking people, i tried as well - i'm pretty tall, and there was this really short girl just being thrashed, so another tall guy got her between us and put his forearms on my back, creating a shield for her - she was that way for at least half the set... and every time someone needed to get pulled out, it became a game of trying to preempt and block the tides... but kids camp out up there every year and normally don't have to deal with that, so expecting them to research all of the opening acts and give up on that goal because of poor planning on GV's part seems kind of harsh - DFA should have been given a stage/tent to close

Memorial_07

If they were given a tent or the outdoor theatre, it would've been worse. More crowding, more chaos just would've been bad all around. And the divided sides on the main stage worked perfect for them. I thought it was overall amazing minus the volume.

And is it just me, or were the barricades way off center? The left side of the stage was way the hell unaligned with the right. That could've been a factor with the overcrowding for DFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    If they were given a tent or the outdoor theatre, it would've been worse. More crowding, more chaos just would've been bad all around. And the divided sides on the main stage worked perfect for them. I thought it was overall amazing minus the volume.

And is it just me, or were the barricades way off center? The left side of the stage was way the hell unaligned with the right. That could've been a factor with the overcrowding for DFA.
    but the crowds would have been smaller (because of conflicts) and there wouldn't be a bunch of unsuspecting kids camping out waiting for Duran Duran - it would have been DFA fans alone, and they all would have known what they were getting into

as for the barricades, i assume they do that so that there's an audience directly in front of the stage

and i agree, the band was amazing - but due to poor planning and shitty sound, it was a less-than-wonderful experience - i'm hoping they play at least one more show in the LA area so i can experience it correctly
    Last edited by strangelove13; 04-19-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Here's a video I shot with the pit breaking up right in front of me...
    Turn It Out...
    http://s843.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=100_3907.mp4

Quote Originally Posted by Geno_g View Post
    Turn It Out...
    that looks SO much better than where i was at - if i had just waited back 20 feet or so, i probably would have been much happier

Quote Originally Posted by Memorial_07 View Post
    I saw that same asshole. Fuck that dude.
    Was he wearing a hat?

He was punching dudes crowd surfing in the back and in the head. I was just trying to get them the fuck over the barricade. I wasn't about to be kicked in the head and lose my glasses again but damn, you're a music festival. Don't hit people trying to get out in the head.
    I don't remember if he was....I think he was. What a fuckass.
    At least in *my* awesome opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno_g View Post
    Turn It Out...
    i'm in this
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    CHAOS

Awesome, that's me in the green California shirt to the left. Also, I was impressed by the amount of girls who joined the pits.

I wonder who got hit by my sweat filled gray cap.
    COACHELLACOLLECTIVE

I wanted to run up to the sound booth and punch whoever was behind the deck in the mouth for the lack of general volume but all in all it was a great set

@ pic
    I'm to the left of the white dude with a brown bandana. White shirt, gray cap pre toss. Fucking great time.
    COACHELLACOLLECTIVE

I was kind of a dick because I got to that set a song late late and had to just push my way through the crowd from the right to the mosh pit, totally worth any harsh feelings towards my ass though.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    I was kind of a dick because I got to that set a song late late and had to just push my way through the crowd from the right to the mosh pit, totally worth any harsh feelings towards my ass though.
    fuck them if they're just gonna stand there and watch dfa1979. i knew in january that i wouldn't be able to just stand there during this set.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 16 - Earth
    September 21 - Nails
    October 2 - Beck
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

My thoughts exactly, for a set like that, you have to expect the crowd to get rowdy, especially if you're in front of the tech boards at all. BTW you're kicking my ass all over Words with Friends nathan
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by spacekat View Post
    One of my favorite fucking sets for sure!
    As physically dead as I was the moment they started playing I started throwing my body convulsively and throwing fists blindly. I was camped out right in front of the sound board and I could tell the people around me were not there for DFA. In fact, I'm half expecting to see a video of myself on youtube titled "crazy girl with scarf goes nuts at Coachella"...
    DUDE, I am totally in the same boat, haha. I thrashed harder than I ever have in my life!! My video is gonna be titled "girl in silver bikini goes crazy to DFA79" though... haha.

I agree it was a very weird time/place for them to play, but I enjoyed it. I would have enjoyed it more in the Mojave at night, like, right before the Presets for example. But then I really would have died, because that's too much fucking intensity.

I think they may have put them on the Main at sunset to dilute some of the craziness after the SXSW stuff, actually... having the light and space and mainstream fans waiting for Strokes and Kanye definitely broke up what it would have been if it was a more contained tent experience. We were relatively near the front, and though the pit broke out almost immediately, as others have noted, it wasn't really a "violent" one at all... more of a whirlwind thing it seemed...

Their background was siiiick!! I wish they would have had posters of that for sale.

To the guy who says the crowd reaction didn't match the music (perhaps bc of loudness), I think it's because fans of the band are generally hardcore on their music and thought they would never get the chance to see them play, and thus took the opportunity to go totally nuts to this music they've loved in private for years. As a fan it was a really fucking great experience Hope I can do it again sometime.
    Coachella 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Flowers are born to die, bro

First off, that is an awesome video. Second, I saw myself 3 seperate times in that video haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.