Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: THE CAMPING EQUIPMENT DEALS THREAD!

Default Re: THE CAMPING EQUIPMENT DEALS THREAD!

Yeah, don't look at it as a one time use investment. $100 now, but spread out over years and the amount of use you will get out of it and it ain't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by SleePi View Post
    EZ Up
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00622710000P Price drops to $59.99 in cart and you can add VALPAK5 for a $5 OFF. Comes out to like $60 depending on tax in your area.
    That Sears EZ-up is still only $66 with the $5 off coupon if you pick it up at the store. That is half as much as on the EZ up official website.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Well I dunno about you guys, but I've done the camping at Coachella with no mattress or sleeping bag, and slept directly on the tent floor...and that sucks. I mean I don't mind doing it, but if I have a choice, I'm bringing an air mattress for some type of comfort level at least....almost as important as shade to me. And they're cheap too. Shade canopies on the other hand...I go to Target, WalMart or Sears, and they're $100-$150 bucks! Hell I only spent $40 on my tent. Just wish they were cheaper. Oh well. I'm sure I'm gonna end up buying one that Thursday I travel out to Indio.

Dude, order that one from Sears for $66 and pick it up this weekend at the store to save yourself the shipping.
    i fucking hate women with their lives together who try and help other people. where are the needy bitches at?!

Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    That Sears EZ-up is still only $66 with the $5 off coupon if you pick it up at the store. That is half as much as on the EZ up official website.
    That is a slant leg canopy though, I've never dealt with one at coachella but most ppl say stay away from those. Also it doesn't look like you can stake the feet in.

I'm in the same boat as you for dropping that much on a canopy, i luckily got one off craigslist for $35. Was thinking of being a terrible person and buying a good one and just return it afterwards....

Quote Originally Posted by Deforel View Post
    That is a slant leg canopy though, I've never dealt with one at coachella but most ppl say stay away from those. Also it doesn't look like you can stake the feet in.

I'm in the same boat as you for dropping that much on a canopy, i luckily got one off craigslist for $35. Was thinking of being a terrible person and buying a good one and just return it afterwards....
    The reviews on the Sierra II canopy have been great. I picked this one up about a month ago for $60 at sears and yes, this canopy can be staked down, it actually comes with a set of stakes, but they are short so I am probably gonna use some canopy weights on top of the stakes. Shade is priceless at Coachella, especially if you're camping on-site.

Coachella is almost here! Less than a month to go!

If you cant stake the feet in, then don't even bother. I watched one last year get taken almost 40 feet up in the air due to wind.

Well shit. I am a newbie. I hope it is not too windy this year.

Quote Originally Posted by menikmati View Post
    If you cant stake the feet in, then don't even bother. I watched one last year get taken almost 40 feet up in the air due to wind.
    Yep, watched one fly around all over the campground and down through our neighbors' windshield two years ago. Please make sure you keep this things anchored.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    They say manners are the thread of society. I spent the weekend with a bunch of monkeys who eat spaghetti with their feet, and are proud of it.

This.
    Someone in my camp group brought a canopy that didn't allow for us to stake the legs (but staked the guy lines). We had to take it down. It was about to fly away.

Maybe I can ask someone at Sears for help when I pick it up. Can I stake my tent down with gallons of water? lol

Yes, for the love of God, please stake down your EZups. And Tents. Still not convinced?

Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2013 Coachella FF Team = Demaryius Targaryen

Again, that Sierra-II canopy is only 8x8 at the top. That is why it is so cheap. Less than 2/3 the coverage of a 10x10 straight leg.

Ok, ok. I'm going to return that EZ up.

REI is offering 20% off to members this weekend on one item with code MEM2013.

North face 100oz Hydration Pack $64 before 20%
    http://www.rei.com/product/854431/th...850-_-10456937

CamelPak 100oz backpack $50 before 20% off
    http://www.rei.com/product/856462/ca...850-_-10456937

2Gal collapsable jugs from REI $5
    http://slickdeals.net/f/5923388-Seat...mpaign=tu-9999

10x12 Camouflage tarps from Home Depot $9
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/UST-10-ft...v#.UUzjNxG9KSO

if you cant afford the canopy - take an extra large tarp and bungees - maybe you can strap on to a neighbor. positioning your tent might also help to leach some shade off them. don't forget to take it down tho before you head into the fest as it could definitely do some damage with fly aways.
    by the way, 10 - 20 lb disk weights are super helpful with short stakes and they wont be confiscated at the gate!

Here is one of the canopies I will be bringing this year. $89 with Excellent reviews.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...roduct+Reviews EDIT: canopy is good, can no longer recommend sun wall and wind curtain
    Last edited by mischaw78; 03-31-2013 at 09:55 PM.

I've been curious as to how much of an impact the wind curtains have. I figured that if they are able to dissipate a fair amount of the winds energy it should be able to stop the lifting force and keep the thing on the ground. Conversely, having a solid tarp fights against the wind and ads a significant amount of stress on the frame, but stops the lift all together.

Either way whether I go with solid or screen the thing will be weighed and tied down.
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Quote Originally Posted by carolinesgood View Post
    if you cant afford the canopy - take an extra large tarp and bungees - maybe you can strap on to a neighbor. positioning your tent might also help to leach some shade off them. don't forget to take it down tho before you head into the fest as it could definitely do some damage with fly aways.
    by the way, 10 - 20 lb disk weights are super helpful with short stakes and they wont be confiscated at the gate!
    I know we've helped our neighbors rig some shade from our canopy to our other neighbors so that the whole area was shaded. Instead of using a tarp as a side wall, we just used it to help them with shade. Everyone won that way. Depends on your neighbors, but I bet a lot of people would be willing to help. Just can't assume everyone will have a canopy though.

Quote Originally Posted by mischaw78 View Post
    Here is one of the canopies I will be bringing this year. $89 with Excellent reviews. You can also buy a 4 sided wind curtain for $49 or individual "sun walls" for $15 to add to the canopy.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...roduct+Reviews
    This is the exact one my friends and I have been using for a few years, with the mesh side shades. we don't even bother bringing tents anymore, just a couple cots and it's perfect.

bringing the tent JIC, but im hoping to just sleep under the walled EZUP.

Quote Originally Posted by mischaw78 View Post
    Again, that Sierra-II canopy is only 8x8 at the top. That is why it is so cheap. Less than 2/3 the coverage of a 10x10 straight leg.
    Just FYI for anyone who actually cares about math ... 10x10 canopy = 100sq ft of coverage while 8x8 = 64sq ft. In no world is that 2/3 less coverage (the 8x8 actually provides 56.25% as much shade compared to a 10x10).

Regardless of the specific figure, for this price it's still a good deal. Unless you're only camping on one campsite, just have a buddy buy one too and then tie a tarp or sheet between the two and you'll have two canopies for the price that most good 10x10's cost.

Lurker

1) loop duct tape around leg
    2) Loop other end of duct tape around cooler handle
    3) Repeat on other side with similarly heavy object
    4) Problem solved, McGuyver-style -- no stakes necessary

Quote Originally Posted by moxie990 View Post
    Just FYI for anyone who actually cares about math ... 10x10 canopy = 100sq ft of coverage while 8x8 = 64sq ft. In no world is that 2/3 less coverage (the 8x8 actually provides 56.25% as much shade compared to a 10x10).

Regardless of the specific figure, for this price it's still a good deal. Unless you're only camping on one campsite, just have a buddy buy one too and then tie a tarp or sheet between the two and you'll have two canopies for the price that most good 10x10's cost.
    I think what he was saying was that 64% is less than 66%, which would be 2/3 of the square footage of full 10 x 10 canopy. Fact is the 8 x 8 are more than enough shade for a standard car camping spot. Unless the sun is directly overhead a decent amount of your shade is going to be coming from your side-walls anyways. Last year we had an 8 x 8 set up right next a 10 x 10 and I don't even remember there being a noticeable difference. Just bring blankets to hang from the side walls and you're fine, and the 8 x 8s also take up a lot less room in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by golf1here View Post
    These are on sale now for $139Attachment 9988
    I have two of these, and they are awesome. I spent 3 weeks camping in Hawaii in one, and you cannot underestimate how much more pleasant it is to be able to stand up while camping. of course you need a true 10x10 Canopy like the one at Wal-mart, but its worth it if you ever do any camping outside of the festival.

http://www.standingroomtents.com/Sta.../dp/B006FMAO08
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is why you're a semi-employed cheetoh-munching fucktard.

Thanks! I got two of the Camelbaks. One for me and one for my little brother. No more awkwardly carrying around a water bottle this year.
    2010 * 2011 * 2012.1 * 2013.2

i thought i saw in the book this year that they are not allowing camelbaks in at all. dont quote me on that, ill have to check when i get home tonight

A late response to the canopy anchoring thing: You can also get some strong rope and anchor the canopy by tying it to yours and your neighbors' cars, if stakes are not an option for whatever reason.

And yes, camelbacks have always been against the rules (technically), it's just a question of whether the specific security people you happen to get will actually know/care.

this is true it says it in the book that came with the wristband !!

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    And yes, camelbacks have always been against the rules (technically), it's just a question of whether the specific security people you happen to get will actually know/care.
    Camelbacks are allowed this year. They just have to be empty.