Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Röyksopp at The Wiltern 3/29/11

Default Re: Röyksopp at The Wiltern 3/29/11

I doubt there will be a next time. And the gist of peoples' reviews to me are mixed and so-so on the setlist. At Nokia there was a flawless setlist and everyone raved real hard. Nonetheless, I wasn't at this one so I can't comment, but the way you guys put it, even after the fact of me having said so, still doesn't leave much to be desired. Still wish I could have made it.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

So I see no Senior tracks in the setlist....I enjoy Junior and Senior, but hopefully when I eventually catch them I get a mix of both....

FOUR TET. HOT CHIP. SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO. BOOKA SHADE. LEE SCRATCH PERRY. BEACH HOUSE.

Richie Hawtin. James Blake. Loco Dice.

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    I doubt there will be a next time. And the gist of peoples' reviews to me are mixed and so-so on the setlist. At Nokia there was a flawless setlist and everyone raved real hard. Nonetheless, I wasn't at this one so I can't comment, but the way you guys put it, even after the fact of me having said so, still doesn't leave much to be desired. Still wish I could have made it.
    I just looked up the setlist from the Club Nokia show... On some level, I still would have preferred more from The Understanding... but even with that, it looks like a show where they were actually supporting their most recent album (being Junior at that time, obviously)...

Definitely looks to be a better setlist and kind of makes me sad that I didn't make it up to New York for the Webster Hall show that year.

Post Re: Röyksopp at The Wiltern 3/29/11

Not sure what all the fuss is...but I had a great time. Lots of "fuck yeah" moments from the get go. Hopkins did a great job opening up the night and Royksopp had me dancing the whole entire time. My first time seeing Royksopp perform =

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    But, I wonder if what we got at Ultra was unique? Them spazzing out and going fucking apeshit on the synths creating some live techno awesomeness and just obviously having fun with the crowd.

Well, what I saw at Ultra was fucking awesome, I hope those that went to this got that too...
    About half way into their set, they were doing some live techno. Jumpin around with the Splinter Cell mask. It sounded great in the Wiltern and it got everyone dancing.

The show was really fun, but it had its up and downs. Anyone else notice wayyy too much chatter?

Devin, you missed out. Face it.
    waka waka

Cool Re: Röyksopp at The Wiltern 3/29/11

If anyone has any qualms about this show they weren't there.

The setlist was on point. Only one I could have gone without would be that stupid Kate Bush cover. Seriously I'm not interested in a Playboy model's debut as a music artist, especially when she sounds like that.

As for the singer, she was great. She wasn't very attractive, but really Robyn isn't either... All the songs they did hit the right mood, and she really put on a performance.

I've loved Royksopp since I was a tyke in 5th grade and my aunt married an Englishman who showed me Poor Leno. Maybe that's why I had so much appreciation for their Melody AM introduction.

But maybe it was because I was front fucking row. Getting to a show on time = how to.
    Looking up the setlist to know when the encore is is great too.

Show's done, que joint, encore, Only This Moment, winning.
    I was so blazed when Tricky Tricky came on I was halfway tripping. Karin Andersson was alive in that set.

And a late answer to:
    Quote Originally Posted by SDsoldier7 View Post
    if i were to give you a ride, what artist would you want to listen to on the way to the show?
    I'd like to listen to Royksopp of course... If you're not one for pregame partying then we could always chill out and groove to RATATAT.

I took the train though, that's why I was front row and you weren't. Troll asshole.
    last.fm
    BRIGHT EYES
    THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS,
    MAGNETIC MAN, RATATAT, THE PRESETS,
    EMPIRE OF THE SUN, HIGH CONTRAST, CASPA, KANYE,
    TINIE TEMPAH,
    JACK BEATS, CHASE & STATUS, MENOMENA, THE DRUMS,

Quote Originally Posted by RoughSteez View Post
    About half way into their set, they were doing some live techno. Jumpin around with the Splinter Cell mask. It sounded great in the Wiltern and it got everyone dancing.

The show was really fun, but it had its up and downs. Anyone else notice wayyy too much chatter?

Devin, you missed out. Face it.
    Yeah they did talk a lot but I think they did that last time they came to town too.

I loved the Kate Bush cover! What playboy model are you talking about?
    Last edited by Justin170; 04-11-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firewall View Post
    If And a late answer to:

I'd like to listen to Royksopp of course... If you're not one for pregame partying then we could always chill out and groove to RATATAT.

I took the train though, that's why I was front row and you weren't. Troll asshole.
    why does the guy in your avatar look so angry?

I believe the singer was the first vocalist they ever worked with. I could be wrong, but her voice sounded very familiar and comforting on many of the tracks. It was a great show. I can't believe we are whining about this.

How about we whine about the fact that Royksopp has yet to make it to the polo fields? That's worth crying about.

it seem like it's not gonna take much time till they visit los angeles again. and this time with robyn!!!

http://www.billsilvaentertainment.co...byn--royksopp/

kind of interesting to see that they appear to be opening for her... it was what? 3? maybe 4 years ago that she opened for them here in LA?

I mean, it makes sense... she's blown up like crazy since then while they've just maintained.

Either way, I'm stoked for an opportunity to see Robyn again (I mean, there ARE other opportunities, but fuck a bunch of paying for a Katy Perry show)

Spiggums, are you talking about the Röyksopp club nokia show back in november of '09? From what I remember of that show, Robyn just collaborated with Röyksopp on a couple of songs in their set (not the opening act).

I have a feeling this october show is going to take place at The Orpheum Theatre..

I will be coming to this for sure.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by brokenDREAMS View Post

I have a feeling this october show is going to take place at The Orpheum Theatre..
    I wonder what gave you that idea.....

Quote Originally Posted by spiggums View Post
    kind of interesting to see that they appear to be opening for her... it was what? 3? maybe 4 years ago that she opened for them here in LA?

I mean, it makes sense... she's blown up like crazy since then while they've just maintained.

Either way, I'm stoked for an opportunity to see Robyn again (I mean, there ARE other opportunities, but fuck a bunch of paying for a Katy Perry show)
    whey would they open for her when they can play to a 2500 people sold-out crowd in la, like they did a few months back at the wiltern?? i'm pretty sure it's a co-headliner thing, like the kelis-robyn tour.

staying under the radar is röyksopp's choice and they don't really like to tour. they could have toured the states like cut copy, robyn and many other overseas acts did did but they've stated numerous times that they're making music for the sake of doing it and really happy at where they are right now.

i know they opened for other elecronic acts like moby when they're starting but i don't think they would open for anyone at the moment except a very few names, like jean michel jarre, kraftwerk etc.
    Last edited by bcebce; 06-13-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Spiggums, are you talking about the Röyksopp club nokia show back in november of '09? From what I remember of that show, Robyn just collaborated with Röyksopp on a couple of songs in their set (not the opening act).

I don't think it was Club Nokia... and may have been a year or two before then? I honestly don't really know. I didn't live here at that time. All I know is that I once saw a full live set of hers streaming a few years ago, and a friend of mine from here was like "this is from when she opened for Royksopp"

They could have been wrong.

orpheum is already booked at that date.
    http://www.laorpheum.com/calendar.html

Quote Originally Posted by bcebce View Post
    whey would they open for her when they can play to a 2500 people sold-out crowd in la, like they did a few months back at the wiltern?? i'm pretty sure it's a co-headliner thing, like the kelis-robyn tour.

staying under the radar is röyksopp's choice and they don't really like to tour. they could have toured the states like cut copy, robyn and many other overseas acts did did but they've stated numerous times that they're making music for the sake of doing it and really happy at where they are.

i know they opened for other elecronic acts like moby when they're starting but i don't think they would open for anyone at the moment except a very few names, like jean michel jarre, kraftwerk etc.
    You've really got Royksopp on a pedestal that they don't necessarily deserve there. Their last album hasn't charted at ALL in the states. It'd be hard not to see their popularity as declining. Certainly the best case scenario is that they're maintaining with no growth. Whereas Robyn's been exploding. Additionally, she's more of a household name in the US then Royksopp are (Keep in mind, I said "more" not that she IS a household name). I know plenty of people who know nothing about dance music that are familiar with her (if only Dancing On My Own) and would know nothing about Royksopp.

That said, it could really go either way. LA is an odd beast so normal rules do not apply here. There are a dozen reasons either of them could choose to open over the other. Of course, that's ignoring how 9 times out of 10, "With Special Guest" implies "opening act". The billing on the flyer seems pretty clear. And since it's posted by the promoter, and not her label/artist management/etc... it's likely to be pretty indicative of the order of the night.

You've really got Royksopp on a pedestal that they don't necessarily deserve there. Their last album hasn't charted at ALL in the states. It'd be hard not to see their popularity as declining. Certainly the best case scenario is that they're maintaining with no growth. Whereas Robyn's been exploding. Additionally, she's more of a household name in the US then Royksopp are (Keep in mind, I said "more" not that she IS a household name). I know plenty of people who know nothing about dance music that are familiar with her (if only Dancing On My Own) and would know nothing about Royksopp.

That said, it could really go either way. LA is an odd beast so normal rules do not apply here. There are a dozen reasons either of them could choose to open over the other. Of course, that's ignoring how 9 times out of 10, "With Special Guest" implies "opening act". The billing on the flyer seems pretty clear. And since it's posted by the promoter, and not her label/artist management/etc... it's likely to be pretty indicative of the order of the night.
    i don't agree with you, röyksopp deserves to be given more credit and i think you're overestimating robyn a little bit. the main reason she's exploding right now is because she spent the last 2 years touring and promoting her music, especially in the usa, while röyksopp played a very few shows. but yeah, she's bigger than them atm, there's nothing to argue there. and "senior" wasn't promoted well at all, probably because they got themselves out of their emi contract and released the album on a different and less-known label.

röyksopp's wiltern show a few months back was sold out -actually all their shows were sold out in their last north america tour- so why would they open for someone when they can get their own crowd?? i'd understand if it was someone much bigger but robyn?? don't think so.

all that said, it doesn't really matter for me who's name is bigger on the flyer or who goes first, knowing both of the acts i'm sure it'll be pretty amazing. i think this might even be a co-headlining usa tour thing, we shall wait and see!
    Last edited by bcebce; 06-13-2011 at 03:28 AM.

You just argued the same point spiggums did you fucking moron. Robyn is more well known (like you said) and will draw more tickets. They decided to tour together. Her name is going to end up at the top of the bill because she will pull a majority of the crowd. No one is arguing album quality or saying Royksopp can't manage to pull their own crowd. Just simply that currently Robyn is more popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

It's sort of weird that you just defended Laura.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Is the Mayan a possibility? Looks like Silva has done some shows there before.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is the Mayan a possibility? Looks like Silva has done some shows there before.
    Bowl or Palladium......

orpheum is already booked at that date.
    Thanks for the correction. Probably what supre suggests: bowl or palladium (hopefully the palladium, I can't imagine this lineup selling out the bowl presently)

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    You just argued the same point spiggums did you fucking moron. Robyn is more well known (like you said) and will draw more tickets. They decided to tour together. Her name is going to end up at the top of the bill because she will pull a majority of the crowd. No one is arguing album quality or saying Royksopp can't manage to pull their own crowd. Just simply that currently Robyn is more popular.
    and just because her name appears at the top of the bill you think röyksopp is the opening act, you fucking piece of shit? he thinks röyksopp is the opening act and i think they're co-headliners. if you don't know the difference, go fuck yourself

fyi, this might even not be a tour. there's no further info motherfucker.
    Last edited by bcebce; 06-13-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks for the correction. Probably what supre suggests: bowl or palladium (hopefully the palladium, I can't imagine this lineup selling out the bowl presently)
    Yeah, that's 4k versus 17k. I'm not sure Royksopp and Robyn are going to sell out the Bowl.

I put the Palladium in the mix because it was brought to my attention that Hewitt/Silva have done shows there before, despite the Live Nation presence.

you have Robyn confused with Annie. She opened their date at the Avalon during "The Understanding" tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex

and just because her name appears at the top of the bill you think röyksopp is the opening act, you fucking piece of shit? he thinks röyksopp is the opening act and i think they're co-headliners.
    if you don't know the difference, go fuck yourself
    you also think that the Robyn/Kelis tour was a "co-headline" tour. Guess what, people went for Robyn, not Kelis. She was just a bonus (and not even a great one at that...).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex