Thread: LOCAL H (for token 90s band) in 11'

Default LOCAL H (for token 90s band) in 11'

Seen em live? They are great.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Default Re: LOCAL H (for token 90s band) in 11'

Enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I actually don't mind this and would catch them if it were an early day set. I seen then 11 years or so ago and they had tons of energy, all 2 of them
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Will they keep it copacetic?
    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

old school

you high-fivin' motherfucker!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

What about Spacehog, Tripping Daisy, Toadies?
    Friday
    Refused, Arctic Monkeys, EITS, M83, Amon Tobin, the Rapture, Neon Indian, Dawes, Death Grips, Other Lives, the Dear Hunter

Saturday
    Radiohead, Miike Snow, GY!BE, St. Vincent, SBTRKT, Flying Lotus, A$ap Rocky, Kaiser Chiefs, the Head and the Heart, the Vaccines, Grouplove, Gary Clark Jr, Destructo

Sunday
    Dr. Dre, ATDI, Justice, La Roux, Beirut, Shadow, Modeselektor, Dada Life, Flux Pavilion, Gotye, araabMUZIK, NOISIA, Band of Skulls, Metronomy, Fanfarlo

Only difference is Local H is still putting out excellent material.

Been a huge Local H fan for as far as I can remember. The whole "90's band" thing I think is a really bad stigma that they have had to live with even though some of their best material was released this past decade. If people could get over the High Fivin' shit and actually pay attention to what they have done since that song came out they would see that they are a very smart rock n roll band that continues to write great albums and put on some of the most energetic live shows out there. Plus, for two guys they make a lot of fucking noise.

Few years old but...
    http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.c...oans-of-t.html

Each year, the Tribune's critics are asked to select a "Chicagoan of the Year," which is defined as the artist or performer who best represents the city in each of our respective areas of coverage. Past winners on the music beat have included Mavis Staples, Buddy Guy, Ken Vandermark, Common, Delmark founder Bob Koester, Touch & Go label honcho Corey Rusk, Lounge Ax co-owners Sue Miller and Julia Adams, and Ben Weasel. This year's choice is Local H.

Last May, Local H celebrated the release of its latest album, “Twelve Angry Months,” by playing all six of its studio albums (plus a rarities compilation) in their entirety on consecutive nights at the Beat Kitchen.

More than just an exercise in nostalgia, the week-long residency demonstrated that Local H has not only endured since emerging in 1995 out of Zion, Ill., it has actually gotten better. Over the last 13 years, Local H --- singer-guitarist Scott Lucas and drummer Brian St. Clair (who replaced Joe Daniels in 2000) --- has expanded on its house-rocking live shows and smart-aleck lyrics to become artists of unexpected substance. They’re as good a rock band as any to call Chicago home in the last decade.

“Twelve Angry Months” is the latest in a series of song cycles written by Lucas, this time dealing with the many phases of a break-up. Kanye West, another artist with a Chicago pedigree, got a great deal more notice for making a similarly themed album, “808s and Heartbreak,” in 2008. But he’s got nothing on Lucas, who outdid himself in hacking through the clichés of heartbreak and distilling its ups and downs in a dozen songs.

Though the band’s early career in the immediate aftermath of the grunge era brought it the most notoriety, with songs such as “Eddie Vedder” and “High Fiving MF,” Lucas upped the artistic ante with “Pack Up the Cats” in 1998. A savagely funny and incisive critique of the music business, “Pack Up” also was a thumping rock album. Lucas has been on a roll ever since, with a marked increase in ambition in his songwriting and arranging.

“Twelve Angry Months” is the best album he’s done since then, quite an accomplishment for a band more than a decade into its career.

When interviewed soon after finishing the album, Lucas said he was intent on pushing the band forward in ways that perhaps even Local H’s own fans didn’t expect.

“So you think, ‘What haven’t we done?’ or ‘What aren’t we known for?’ We’re not seen as a band that wants to get down and deep about what goes on between people,” he said. “You get tired of people lumping you in with the big dumb rock guys.”

But even Lucas acknowledged that the results were greater than even he had imagined. “I don’t know what it is about this record that is so different, but the response has been really great,” he said. “Something is going on. I look at it as the band having two acts artistically and commercially, and this is the ‘Pack Up the Cats’ of the Brian era.”
    Last edited by shotglass75; 01-02-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Im telling you, If you have not seen them live you are missing out.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Since when is there a token 90s band?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

wasn't the drummer a black guy?

Joe Daniels was indeed A BLACK GUUUUUUUUUY!!!!!! :0
    And then he left the band almost 11 years ago and Brian St. Claire, A WHITE GUUUUUUUY joined the band and has been beating the shit out of the drums ever since

Pack Up the Cats is one of my favorite all-time albums.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I would watch a local H set.

Id be game, and I've had the same haircut since '83.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Pack Up the Cats is one of my favorite all-time albums.
    Same here! I always used to crank the intro to the title track and freak out the family cat in the other room with all that meowing.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I would watch the shit out of Local H

Quote Originally Posted by jonesjupiter View Post
    I would also wttch the shit out of Spacehog and/or the Toadies. I never really listened to Tripping Daisy.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Joe Daniels was indeed A BLACK GUUUUUUUUUY!!!!!! :0
    And then he left the band almost 11 years ago and Brian St. Claire, A WHITE GUUUUUUUY joined the band and has been beating the shit out of the drums ever since

Well...you said it...11 years ago, during the 15 minutes they were popular, is when I (and probably most people) remember them...

old school

i'd enjoy some H.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Daft Punk will unveil its third member, Crush.

They do a better job at covering Nirvana than Weezer does.

Quote Originally Posted by ELPOLLOLOCO View Post
    Well...you said it...11 years ago, during the 15 minutes they were popular, is when I (and probably most people) remember them...
    There is no arguing that. The thing is, they have been continually putting out great albums over the past 10 years or so. Do yourself a favor and check 'em out again. You might just enjoy them.

http://chicagoverseunited.com/2011/0...ecast-local-h/

Sometimes it seems like Scott Lucas doesn’t sleep. If it’s not seven consecutive nights at the Beat Kitchen for a run of Local H discography shows, it’s releasing two EPs on the same day, as was the case this past October with Local H and Lucas’ Married Men collective. Now, in 2011, the multi-tasking musician is readying two releases from Local H, with the first being a greatest hits collection set to drop under Universal Music’s ICON imprint on April 5th. The 12 song collection, comprised of material from the band’s Island Records albums, will also feature collectors cuts, including an alternate cut of a Ham Fisted track, as well as out of print soundtrack songs.

On the new music front, Local H is currently working on a new record, which Lucas reveals to CVU is “untitled as of yet – but I’m leaning towards Hallelujah! I’m A Bum.”

“I kind of want it to be a ‘state of the union’ type of statement from us,” the frontman continues. “It’s about almost everything : politics, neighborhoods, how we treat each other, the media, our patience as a nation, etc. etc. Just all of it. Sort of a political record that’s completely personal. I want to make a big statement in the smallest ways possible. Musically, we’re shooting for a big sound that’s all over the place. Sprawling. We’ve got big, adrenalized pop songs. There’s some metal going on in there. One of the songs is like a mix between Jonathan Richman and Killing Joke. There’s a even a straight-up country song. We’re shooting the works.”

Bump.... just because

The new album "Hallelujah! I’m A Bum" is one of the best rock albums of 2012

Quote Originally Posted by jonesjupiter View Post
    You're from Dallas and you want Tripping Daisy to play Coachella, even though Wes has been dead for almost 13 years?

Tripping Daisy aint Tripping Daisy without him, so it's best left in the history books.

Sucks.

Local H drummer Brian St. Clair is stepping away from the throne behind his kit and leaving the band. The band has stated the split is mutual and amicable. St. Clair was Local H's second drummer, replacing Joe Daniels when he left in 1999, but it wasn't the first time he'd played with frontman Scott Lucas. The two had shared the stage in the latter period of St. Clair's previous band Triple Fast Action when Lucas filled in on second guitar for a number of shows.

St. Clair is a monster behind the drum kit, hitting the skins harder than almost anyone else we've ever seen, but his style also brought a deft subtlety to the rhythms in Local H's music where other drummers might have either overplayed or played it too dumb. His contributions will be missed.
    St. Clair will finish out the band's brief tour scheduled for this fall, and his last Chicago show with the band will be Sept. 7 at Metro, and it should be a monumental gig. The band's spokesperson told Chicagoist that the band will continue on with a different drummer, but not until after these shows.

The band's—in this incarnation—final tour dates are below, so if you live on the East Coast or the Midwest you may still have a chance to see them too.

9/6 Madison, Wisc. - High Noon Saloon
    9/7 Chicago, Ill. - Metro
    10/4 Akron, Ohio - Musica
    10/5 New York, New York - Santos Party House
    10/6 Allston, Mass. - Brighton Music Hall
    10/7 West Chester, Penn. - The Note
    10/9 Columbus, Ohio - The Basement
    10/10 Grand Rapids, Mich. - Pyramid Scheme
    101/11 Arlington Heights, Ill. - HOME: House of Music and Entertainment

http://chicagoist.com/2013/08/21/bri...ng_local_h.php
    Last edited by shotglass75; 08-22-2013 at 02:41 PM.

Because I'm sure all of you care. Sounds to me like a good fit.

Local H’s November 8 show at RIBCO will be its first with new drummer Ryan Harding – and I do mean “new.” I asked Lucas whether Harding was a long-term replacement, and he sounded unprepared for the question. “Uhhhh ... yeah,” he said. “I guess you’re the first person I talked to about this, so I don’t really know exactly what to say about it. But yeah.” When asked about Harding’s strengths compared to St. Clair’s, Lucas suggested that their relationship is still a bit too fresh: “I don’t think we’re going to know that yet.”
    more at - http://www.rcreader.com/music/back-t...local-h-ribco/
    Last edited by shotglass75; 11-09-2013 at 10:03 AM.

New guy seems like a keeper. Great bootleg of first show

https://archive.org/details/localh20...08.csb.flac.16