Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji Rock Festival 2011

Default Fuji Rock Festival 2011

Naeba, Japan, July 29/30/31.

There's about a 98% chance I'll be there.

Happy new year, people.

Default Re: Fuji Rock Festival 2011

Pulp?
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Ooh, I think there's actually a pretty good chance that Pulp will play either Fuji or Summer Sonic. Fuji is preferred, of course, but I'd gladly go see them at Summer Sonic too.

Wow, that's a lot of great videos.

This one is fucking incredible:

9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

And here we are again. Good to see you two.

BTW, almost all those videos have been pulled down.

God fucking damnit. They were all high quatily too.

So gweilo, you're doing Fuji again this year?

Is there rumored to be a pretty sweet Fuji Rock lineup this year?

No idea. I was thinking that after Summer Sonic's debacle last year, they might come back with a vengeance and kick Fuji Rock's ass, but neither RHCP nor the Strokes really excite me that much.

The thing with RHCP though, is that they're really tight with Smash (Fuji Rock organizers). So with them playing SS this year, there is some speculation of a trade-off, where an act that's traditionally been close with Creativeman (promoter responsible for Summer Sonic) will play Fuji. Of course, that could be Radiohead, but it could also be Avril Lavigne. Oh, and Creativeman are also doing Justin Bieber's show, so just maybe...

As to undercards, I'm thinking Mogwai, envy, and Primal Scream have a good chance of playing. I mean, three consecutive editions of Fuji without Primal? Unthinkable.

For now, I'm planning on it. Might ditch the tent this year though. I'm already taking shit from my friends, who think I'm being a colossal wuss.

Are you hearing RHCP are a possibility?

BTW, I guess you've noticed that on this site, they have a video lead-in. A couple of days ago there was a video from a band called Phantogram. Yesterday there was one from Tame Impala. I'm wondering if all these bands with the videos might be playing Coachella? And if so, what their chances might be of playing Fuji...

This is my top destination for 2012. If the lineup isn't all that, I'll just visit the country at a cheaper time to do so and stay longer.

The only problem being that we won't know how good the lineup actually is until well into April or May...

gweilo - The Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Strokes are 100% confirmed, officially, for Summer Sonic. They announced it last month, which is unusually early. So you can definitely scratch them off for Fuji.

I haven't decided yet where I will stay, but I'm leaning towards camping. I could really do without the rain when I'm setting up my tent this year. If you're lodging at a hotel, make sure that it's within walking distance from the festival site. I hear that the shuttle bus can be a real pain in the ass.

I actually didn't know about the videos until you mentioned it, since I log on directly to the forum page. Tame Impala played Summer Sonic in 2009, I think. I wanted to see them in fact, but they were too early in the day for me. Not familiar with Phantogram. We'll be getting the full Coachella lineup soon, right? It's going to be fun speculating which of those acts will be playing Fuji as well.

Oh, gotcha. No big loss for me.

Looking forward to seeing the Coachella lineup....

I'm in the military, currently stationed in Okinawa until summer of 2012.

In lieu of Coachella 2011, I'm going to attend this year's Fuji Rock festival as a substitute so you can count me in.

As this will be my first Fuji Rock, can anyone please tell me when the line-up will be released (reading from above, it sounds like it comes out in increments?), and how much a three-day pass will cost?

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to checking in this thread as the days weeks and months progress.

Hey sison, welcome to Fuji Rock. You're going to love this festival.

Yes, the lineup is announced in increments, and the first batch is usually released somewhere in early March. So we still have a while to go, during which we can trade unfounded rumors and discuss fake lineups. After that, they start announcing additions twice a month.

As to costs, there's no info yet, but assuming everything remains the same, a three-day pass will set you back 39,800 JPY or so. Expensive, isn't it? Campsite tickets I think were about 3,000 JPY, which are good for the duration of the festival, from Thursday to Monday morning. Of course, for you, there's this little matter of having to travel from Okinawa, which I imagine will be a pretty hefty financial burden...

You should also know that they have an early bird system where, if the luck of the draw is with you, you can buy a three-day pass a little cheaper (I can't for the life of me remember by how much, but I think the discounted pass was like 32,000 JPY or so?), provided you're willing to make the plunge without knowing a single thing about the lineup. Sadly for guys like gweilo, it's only available to those of us who live in Japan, but you fortunately qualify.

Hope that helps, and look forward to interacting with you! In the meantime, I'm looking at the Coachella lineup, licking my lips and wondering which of these acts will make their way to Naeba in July. But please, Hidaka-san, I beg of you. No Kings of Leon.

The Coachella lineup is interesting. Sure enough, Tame Impala and Phantogram are there. Since TI played Summer Sonic before, wonder if they'll come back to Japan and try Fuji this time?

Funny enough, I was thinking Arcade Fire would be interesting for Fuji, and there they are on the Coachella bill. I'm not a huge fan, but I probably wouldn't miss their show.

Black Keys, Interpol, PJ Harvey and the National all interest me. CSS is there, as is Kele, both of whom were at Fuji in '08. YACHT came to Hong Kong before.

I have no idea who they are, but on name alone you gotta love Trampled by Turtles.

I think Arcade Fire would be perfect as the Sunday closer. Good way to end the festival on a high note.

Out of all the Coachella acts, the one I'd like to see most is probably Mumford and Sons. Late afternoon slot at the Field of Heaven please. PJ Harvey at the Green or White Stage should be great too, and my teenage past as a huge Britpop fan means that Suede would be high-priority for me if they were to come over (though they seem like they'd be a better fit for Summer Sonic). Plenty of others I'd be excited to see as well, but I have to confess I've never even heard of about half of these acts.

Quite a few bands who played Fuji last year that we can probably rule out - One Day As A Lion, Flogging Molly, !!! (kind of sobering to see a White Stage headliner billed so low for Coachella), Broken Social Scene, Ozomatli, Scissor Sisters, Beardyman etc.

Any guesses as to who the headliners might be? The Foo Fighters seem like a strong possibility. I would eagerly welcome Pulp as a headliner if Summer Sonic hasn't snatched them away. Who else is out there. Coldplay? Chemical Brothers? REM? Something totally out of the blue that NO ONE could possibly predict, like Roxy Music last year?

I think Foo Fighters and the Chemical Brothers are two smart picks. As for Arcade Fire, I have no idea how big they are in Japan or how many connections they have there.

BTW, Tool is back touring. They're in Australia/ NZ this month from what I've read. What do you think -- is Tool Fuji's type?

I noticed Foals was listed in tiny print on the Coachella poster too -- not that they headlined a stage at Fuji or anything, but it gives an indication of how much more obscure they are in the States.

Arcade Fire has a really big chance of happening it seems. The furthest show announced at this point is Sunday July 17 at Benicassim Festival in Spain. After that, their schedule is wide open. Have they ever played Fuji? I know they haven't since Neon Bible dropped.

Ooh, my Fuji likelihood may have just taken a hit. My wife may be taking a business trip to the States toward the end of July, which gives us a reason to extend the trip and see my family. If that happens, doing the US and then tacking a Japan trip on the tail end of that would be brutal....

Goodbye Fuji Rock, hello Lollapalooza then?

Wrong part of the country, I'm afraid....

Anyway, jury's still out.

Sounds like there could be a great lineup

There could always be a great lineup...until the lineup is actually released, that is!

gweilo - Brutal but doable, right? Hope you can make it, but if not, well, there's always the possibility that this year's lineup will be the worst ever in Fuji Rock history...

Arcade Fire have only played Summer Sonic, I think. I have a sneaky feeling that they'll be at one of the two major Japanese festivals this summer, but I have no clue which one. I'm not sure if they're big enough in Japan to headline (which is why I had them pegged as a possible Sunday closer), but I could be wrong. I mean, I'm sure they're bigger than Roxy Music at least.

Tool have played Fuji Rock before, so I wouldn't totally rule them out.

Looks like Osheaga will be held on the same weekend again this year. They're welcome to all the bands that played Fuji last year, but they better keep their grubby hands away from Portishead, who I know are playing some festivals this year. It's fucking high time they make their way over here to Japan.

I haven't been able to find any info on Splendour in the Grass, though in their case, being held on the same weekend as Fuji would actually be a good thing.
    Last edited by Blue Stapler; 01-25-2011 at 12:15 AM.

I will not be attending Fuji Rock, but one of my besties who is teaching english in Korea is..........if any of y'all would wanna meet up with a kool kat, lemme know, and have a great time at Fuji Rock regardless! rep the Coachella board with pride!

Brutal but doable, right?
    Well, if I didn't have a job, maybe. I could always quit....

... there's always the possibility that this year's lineup will be the worst ever in Fuji Rock history...
    Aww, I wouldn't wish that on you guys. Maybe.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Stapler View Post
    Tool have played Fuji Rock before, so I wouldn't totally rule them out.
    I htink one of the Tool guys said they said no to summer dates. Maynard announced a show with A Perfect Circle the 2nd week of July. APC would be more realistic.

OK, my likelihood meter is on the rise again. I'd gauge it at 70%. The US trip may not happen after all, but we'll know more in two weeks.

In the meantime I've been looking up accommodation, and it's all gone -- at least, anything that can be found on the internet. I see a tent in my future again.

I'm not sure if I should congratulate you for your increased chances of doing Fuji, or commiserate you for your decreased chances of the US trip. I know that there are people out there who value spending time with their family more than going to some music festival (I'm not one of them).

I seriously doubt that Naeba accommodations are gone. I stayed at a hotel in 2009, and we didn't make our reservation until May. I'm thinking most of the inns and hotels listed here are within walking distance, though I'm not sure how one would go about arranging things if they don't speak Japanese...

Arcade Fire are out by the way. They're opening for U2 in Canada on July 31. I guess that also eliminates U2, but I don't think anyone seriously thought that likely. So Arcade Fire @ Summer Sonic?

On the other hand, Liam Gallagher's new band, Beady Eye, might be a possibility. They're coming to Japan in May courtesy of Smash although this is a three-city tour unlike the one-off show that the xx did last year, so who knows. I don't particularly care about them one way or another, and probably won't see them if they do end up playing Fuji, but they seem like a natural Green Stage sub-headliner.