Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's Raining the Internet or Something

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Re: It's Raining the Internet or Something

I think i'm desensitized to what people say in "comment" sections of newspapers and blogs. I've read far too many articles and comments on azcentral.

Here's some good thoughts.

We have to seriously look at the agenda of obama. He has nationalized health care, the auto industry, the banking industry, the housing industry, the student loans, the insurance industry and now this. This cannot continue or we are in mortal danger of a truely communist take over, just like Venezula has fallen victim to a dictator we have allowed ourselves to be driven in this same direction. 2012 has to be the year to rid our nation of this very real and imminent danger of "Progressives".
    and this one

King Obaminiski the Oblivious was not successful in destroying the economy through destructive legislation and ridiculous spending AND NOW he is taking a different approach.... Destroy the mechanism of economic communication through restriction and control.

This guy is a Bad Dude. His intentions are Bad. And he sure is gettin' Bad advice from George.

I won't sleep well until common sense is restored in DC in 2012. We will recover, but it will be difficult.

Oh, I think I get it now... This new regulation will make my internet provider a communist.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    I think i'm desensitized to what people say in "comment" sections of newspapers and blogs. I've read far too many articles and comments on azcentral.

Here's some good thoughts.

and this one
    that you focus on those two comments out of the sea of them speaks volumes.

Do you really assume that the obama administration is really placing focus evenly on each of those items? Do you not believe that spreading itself so thin might have an affect on its ability to affect actual change in any one area?

And you enjoy a comment from someone that seems to think that Obama's primary underlying agenda is destruction of the economy?

You might actually turn out to be one of those kids that never actually manages to get a grip at any age.

My Sprint phone is my internet. I wonder how this will work for that?
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post

Do you really assume that the obama administration is really placing focus evenly on each of those items? Do you not believe that spreading itself so thin might have an affect on its ability to affect actual change in any one area?

And you enjoy a comment from someone that seems to think that Obama's primary underlying agenda is destruction of the economy?

You might actually turn out to be one of those kids that never actually manages to get a grip at any age.
    Let me know where that grip is when you find it buddy. lol. Wow. hell of a post.

It's called sarcasm and yes I am entertained by nutjobs who post on message boards and comments on blogs and what not. See how you fit into my day?
    Last edited by faxman75; 12-22-2010 at 01:56 PM.

I think you are misreading his comment on the comments?
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

well this is fun.

I won't sleep well until common sense is restored in DC in 2012. We will recover, but it will be difficult.
    I'm staying up too.

Let me know where that grip is when you find it buddy. lol. Wow. hell of a post.

It's called sarcasm and yes I am entertained by nutjobs who post on message boards and comments on blogs and what not. See how you fit into my day?
    that shit is entirely consistent with the type of crap you spew on this board, thus the vague swag at sarcasm missed the mark.

btw you are also my raison d'internet. I wanna have your baby.

I was listening to npr yesterday and caught half-way through their conversation about the net-neutrality decision. It seems more about how internet providers must treat each website the same way. As in, Verizon cannot slow down the internetz for a competing website. However, this does not apply to the wireless industry, as the governments see it as a different entity.

Scratch this one from the record if i'm wrong.

We STILL haven't seen his birth certificate. Could it be because he was born in the nation of ISLAM?

that shit is entirely consistent with the type of crap you spew on this board, thus the vague swag at sarcasm missed the mark.

btw you are also my raison d'internet. I wanna have your baby.
    Forget it, Jackstraw. It's Chinatown.

We STILL haven't seen his birth certificate. Could it be because he was born in the nation of ISLAM?
    um, like that's not even a real PLACE. jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by DFrank View Post
    I was listening to npr yesterday and caught half-way through their conversation about the net-neutrality decision. It seems more about how internet providers must treat each website the same way. As in, Verizon cannot slow down the internetz for a competing website. However, this does not apply to the wireless industry, as the governments see it as a different entity.

Scratch this one from the record if i'm wrong.
    You are correct. That's it!

stop derailing!

I cut a bit of the intro out but here is the press release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
    December 21, 2010 Mark Wigfield, 202-418-0253
    Email: mark.wigfield@fcc.gov

The provisions of the Communications the FCC relies on in enacting the open Internet rules include:
    • Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996: This provision directs the FCC to “encourage the deployment on a reasonable and timely basis” of “advanced telecommunications capability” to all Americans It directs the Commission to undertake annual inquiries concerning the availability of advanced telecommunications capability to all Americans and requires that, if the Commission finds that such capability is not being deployed in a reasonable and timely fashion, it “shall take immediate action to accelerate deployment of such capability by removing barriers to infrastructure investment and by promoting competition in the telecommunications market,” under Section 706(b). In July 2010, the Commission concluded that broadband deployment to all Americans is not reasonable and timely and noted that as a consequence of that conclusion, Section 706(b) was triggered. Section 706(b) therefore provides express authority for the pro-investment, pro-competition rules adopted today.
    • Title II of the Communications Act protects competition and consumers of telecommunications services. Over-the-top Internet voice services -- VoIP -- can develop as a competitor to traditional phone services. The FCC likewise safeguards interconnection between telephone customers and VoIP users.
    • Title III of the Act gives the Commission authority to license spectrum used to provide fixed and mobile wireless services. Licenses must be subject to terms that serve the public interest. The Commission previously has required certain wireless licensees to comply with open Internet principles, as appropriate in the particular situation before it. The open Internet conditions adopted today likewise are necessary to advance the public interest in innovation and investment.
    • Title VI of the Communications Act protects competition in video services. Internet video distribution is increasingly important to video competition. A cable or telephone company’s interference with the online transmission of programming by Direct Broadcast Satellite operators or stand-alone online video programming aggregators that may function as competitive alternatives to traditional Multichannel Video Programming Distributors would frustrate Congress’s stated goals in enacting Section 628 of the Act, which include promoting “competition and diversity in the multichannel video programming market.”

Following are key excerpts from the Report and Order adopted by the Commission to preserve the open Internet:
    Rule 1: Transparency
    A person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service shall publicly disclose accurate information regarding the network management practices, performance, and commercial terms of its broadband Internet access services sufficient for consumers to make informed choices regarding use of such services and for content, application, service, and device providers to develop, market, and maintain Internet offerings.
    Rule 2: No Blocking
    A person engaged in the provision of fixed broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not block lawful content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices, subject to reasonable network management.
    A person engaged in the provision of mobile broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not block consumers from accessing lawful websites, subject to reasonable network management; nor shall such person block applications that compete with the provider’s voice or video telephony services, subject to reasonable network
    Rule 3: No Unreasonable Discrimination
    A person engaged in the provision of fixed broadband Internet access service, insofar as such person is so engaged, shall not unreasonably discriminate in transmitting lawful network traffic over a consumer’s broadband Internet access service. Reasonable network management shall not constitute unreasonable discrimination.
    Select Definitions
    Broadband Internet access service: A mass-market retail service by wire or radio that provides the capability to transmit data to and receive data from all or substantially all Internet endpoints, including any capabilities that are incidental to and enable the operation of the communications service, but excluding dial-up Internet access service. This term also encompasses any service that the Commission finds to be providing a functional equivalent of the service described in the previous sentence, or that is used to evade the protections set forth in this Part.
    Reasonable network management. A network management practice is reasonable if it is appropriate and tailored to achieving a legitimate network management purpose, taking into account the particular network architecture and technology of the broadband Internet access service. Legitimate network management purposes include: ensuring network security and integrity, including by addressing traffic that is harmful to the network; addressing traffic that is unwanted by users (including by premise operators), such as by providing services or capabilities consistent with a user’s choices regarding parental controls or security capabilities; and by reducing or mitigating the effects of congestion on the network.
    Pay for Priority Unlikely to Satisfy “No Unreasonable Discrimination” Rule
    A commercial arrangement between a broadband provider and a third party to directly or indirectly favor some traffic over other traffic in the connection to a subscriber of the broadband provider (i.e., “pay for priority”) would raise significant cause for concern. First, pay for priority would represent a significant departure from historical and current practice. Since the beginning of the Internet, Internet access providers have typically not charged particular content or application providers fees to reach the providers’ consumer retail service subscribers or struck pay-for-priority deals, and the record does not contain evidence that U.S. broadband providers currently engage in such arrangements. Second this departure from longstanding norms could cause great harm to innovation and investment in and on the Internet. As discussed above, pay-for-priority arrangements could raise barriers to entry on the Internet by requiring fees from edge providers, as well as transaction costs arising from the need to reach agreements with one or more broadband providers to access a critical mass of potential users. Fees imposed on edge providers may be excessive because few edge providers have the ability to bargain for lesser fees, and because no broadband provider internalizes the full costs of reduced innovation and the exit of edge providers from the market. Third, pay-for-priority arrangements may particularly harm non-commercial end users, including individual bloggers, libraries, schools, advocacy organizations, and other speakers, especially those who communicate through video or other content sensitive to network congestion. Even open Internet skeptics acknowledge that pay for priority may disadvantage non-commercial uses of the network, which are typically less able to pay for priority, and for which the Internet is a uniquely important platform. Fourth, broadband providers that sought to offer pay-for-priority services would have an incentive to limit the quality of service provided to non-prioritized traffic. In light of each of these concerns, as a general matter, it is unlikely that pay for priority would satisfy the “no unreasonable discrimination” standard. The practice of a broadband Internet access service provider prioritizing its own content, applications, or services, or those of its affiliates, would raise the same significant concerns and would be subject to the same standards and considerations in evaluating reasonableness as third-party pay-for-priority arrangements.
    Measured Steps for Mobile Broadband
    Mobile broadband presents special considerations that suggest differences in how and when open Internet protections should apply. Mobile broadband is an earlier-stage platform than fixed broadband, and it is rapidly evolving. For most of the history of the Internet, access has been predominantly through fixed platforms -- first dial-up, then cable modem and DSL services. As of a few years ago, most consumers used their mobile phones primarily to make phone calls and send text messages, and most mobile providers offered Internet access only via “walled gardens” or stripped down websites. Today, however, mobile broadband is an important Internet access platform that is helping drive broadband adoption, and data usage is growing rapidly. The mobile ecosystem is experiencing very rapid innovation and change, including an expanding array of smartphones, aircard modems, and other devices that allow mobile broadband providers to enable Internet access; the emergence and rapid growth of dedicated-purpose mobile devices like e-readers; the development of mobile application (“app”) stores and hundreds of thousands of mobile apps; and the evolution of new business models for mobile broadband providers, including usage-based pricing.
    Moreover, most consumers have more choices for mobile broadband than for fixed broadband. Mobile broadband speeds, capacity, and penetration are typically much lower than for fixed broadband, though some providers have begun offering 4G service that will enable offerings with higher speeds and capacity and lower latency than previous generations of mobile service. In addition, existing mobile networks present operational constraints that fixed broadband networks do not typically encounter. This puts greater pressure on the concept of “reasonable network management” for mobile providers, and creates additional challenges in applying a broader set of rules to mobile at this time. Further, we recognize that there have been meaningful recent moves toward openness, including the introduction of open operating systems like Android. In addition, we anticipate soon seeing the effects on the market of the openness conditions we imposed on mobile providers that operate on upper 700 MHz C-Block spectrum, which includes Verizon Wireless, one of the largest mobile wireless carriers in the U.S.
    In light of these considerations, we conclude it is appropriate to take measured steps at this time to protect the openness of the Internet when accessed through mobile broadband
    Specialized Services
    In the Open Internet NPRM, the Commission recognized that broadband providers offer services that share capacity with broadband Internet access service over providers’ last-mile facilities, and may develop and offer other such services in the future. These “specialized services,” such as some broadband providers’ existing facilities-based VoIP and Internet Protocol-video offerings, differ from broadband Internet access service and may drive additional private investment in broadband networks and provide consumers valued services, supplementing the benefits of the open Internet. At the same time, specialized services may raise concerns regarding bypassing open Internet protections, supplanting the open Internet, and enabling anticompetitive conduct. We note also that our rules define broadband Internet access service to encompass “any service that the Commission finds to be providing a functional equivalent of [broadband Internet access service], or that is used to evade the protections set forth in these rules.”
    We will closely monitor the robustness and affordability of broadband Internet access services, with a particular focus on any signs that specialized services are in any way retarding the growth of or constricting capacity available for broadband Internet access service. We fully expect that broadband providers will increase capacity offered for broadband Internet access service if they expand network capacity to accommodate specialized services. We would be concerned if capacity for broadband Internet access service did not keep pace. We also expect broadband providers to disclose information about specialized services’ impact, if any, on last-mile capacity available for, and the performance of, broadband Internet access service. We may consider additional disclosure requirements in this area in our related proceeding regarding consumer transparency and disclosure. We would also be concerned by any marketing, advertising, or other messaging by broadband providers suggesting that one or more specialized services, taken alone or together, and not provided in accordance with our open Internet rules, is “Internet” service or a substitute for broadband Internet access service. Finally, we will monitor the potential for anticompetitive or otherwise harmful effects from specialized services, including from any arrangements a broadband provider may seek to enter into with third parties to offer such services. The Open Internet Advisory Committee will aid us in monitoring these issues.
    Action by the Commission December 21, 2010, by Report and Order (FCC 10-201). Chairman Genachowski approving, Commissioner Clyburn approving in part and concurring in part; Commissioner Copps concurring, Commissioners’ McDowell and Baker dissenting. Separate statements issued by Chairman Genachowski, Commissioners’ Copps, McDowell, Clyburn, and Baker.

--FCC--

News about the Federal Communications Commission can also be found
    on the Commission’s website www.fcc.gov

but I still say this thread wasn't a waste of time.

Here is a good article regarding what to expect in the future...

http://www.itworld.com/internet/1314...ight-look-like

The Federal Communications Commission is expected to approve new Net neutrality rules that it believes will ensure free and open Internet access for years to come. The new rules will reportedly prevent fixed (ground) line broadband providers from blocking lawful Web content and services. Wireless broadband providers, meanwhile, will have the ability to block access to content and services as they see fit as long as they do not offer a competing service. Wireless carriers could, for example, block YouTube if the carrier did not offer a similar video sharing site.

The new rules will also supposedly discourage providers from charging fees to popular Web services such as Facebook or Google to deliver their content to your home faster.

The rules have garnered a lot of controversy. Senator Al Franken called the proposed rules "worse than nothing," but FCC commissioner Mignon L. Clybrun said the proposal "will establish clear rules to protect consumers' access."

Here's a look at some possibilities for what your broadband access at home and on your mobile device might look like under the new rules.

Skype on 3G

Yes, you can already get Skype calls over 3G on some wireless networks. But under the new FCC rules wireless providers would not be allowed to block access to Skype, because they offer a competing service (voice calls).

Google Fee

The new FCC rules will reportedly discourage, but not prevent, carriers from offering paid prioritization to Web services. In other words, Comcast could offer YouTube the chance to have content from Google's video site delivered to your computer faster than competing video services. The catch is that Google would have to pay a fee for that to happen.

No Torrents For You

Fixed-line broadband providers will not be allowed to discriminate against any lawful Web services you want to use. Did you see that little disclaimer in there? That's right "lawful" Web services, meaning that torrent indexing sites, such as The Pirate Bay, and other sites considered shady could soon disappear from your Web browser. This is not entirely surprising since the government has been coming down hard on copyright infringement in recent weeks. In November, federal authorities seized the domains of 82 websites purportedly selling goods that infringed copyright law such as music, movies and handbags.

Yo Faxey, can you provide Franken's comments here?

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE HANDBAGS?!
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Yo Faxey, can you provide Franken's comments here?
    Here's 24 minutes worth.

He said a lot of interesting things but he can definitely go on and on and on.

“If corporations are allowed to prioritize content on the Internet, or they are allowed to block applications you access on your iPhone, there is nothing to prevent those same corporations from censoring political speech.”
    Last edited by faxman75; 12-22-2010 at 02:46 PM.

That's right "lawful" Web services, meaning that torrent indexing sites, such as The Pirate Bay, and other sites considered shady could soon disappear from your Web browser. This is not entirely surprising since the government has been coming down hard on copyright infringement in recent weeks. In November, federal authorities seized the domains of 82 websites purportedly selling goods that infringed copyright law such as music, movies and handbags.
    The term "lawful" has a strict interpretation. It's a bit premature to snap ISPs blocking sites "considered shady".

I agree it's scary that they might just flaunt the technicalities if they deem the cost of ongoing lawsuits < cost of the bandwidth, but the flipside is it might engender a bit more competition amongst ISPs.

So, on the upside, I might be able to look for a Skype app on my Android phone soon? On the downside, we may need the next thing, the thing after Torrents, soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    So, on the upside, I might be able to look for a Skype app on my Android phone soon? On the downside, we may need the next thing, the thing after Torrents, soon?
    android already has skype doesn't it? At least on 2.2.

android already has skype doesn't it? At least on 2.2.
    You're correct!

Here's 24 minutes worth.

He said a lot of interesting things but he can definitely go on and on and on.

“If corporations are allowed to prioritize content on the Internet, or they are allowed to block applications you access on your iPhone, there is nothing to prevent those same corporations from censoring political speech.”
    Ouch. ISP control over media companies and thus blocking deals with Netflix is probably the scariest prospect.

This thread turned 98%/2%/0% real fast.

Ya know what's totally clever? Posting about how bad a thread is.

I'm still trying to understand the percentages. When was it a 98%?

There's always one...