Thread: BEYOND WONDERLAND 2011 - 3/19/2011

Default Re: BEYOND WONDERLAND 2011 - 3/19/2011

techno stage was class all night

we all got schooled

Beyond Wonderland was so amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I can't think of a better way to close the weekend. Anybody?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    Sven Vath and Leftfield would both be choice as well.
    I really hope to be able to catch all 3. (re: Jeff's post)
    Sahara: Leftfield => Sven Všth => Axwell

Pure Filth: High Contrast closes "conflicting" w/ Axwell

IDEAL

Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    Monklish2.0, I hereby offer you one chance to redeem yourself by sacrificing your girlfriend's mortal body to the Deity Richie Hawtin, promptly after leaving your computer screen after reading this message. If this is not done in a manner that pleases the Hawt One you, yourself, shall also be sacrificed. Thank you for your compliance.
    'til the cows come home.............

boo monklish and his girlfriend! not only did they miss richie hawtin, but they caught kaskade instead! f'ing jerks..

BEAT THAT SHIT TO DEATH
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Monklish2.0, be honest with us. How sluttily did your gaggle of 7 girl-friends dress to this event? Normal rave slutty or extraspecialmassiveraveslutty?

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

wow those Richie video's do no justice to what actually was going down in the chess village during that time

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post
    So I watched multiple clips of this infamous RH set and frankly I'm not impressed. Maybe its just not my style, maybe I "had to be there"... Whatever the case , seems a little boring. You can seriously FF a clip forward 10 min , turn it back on and it sounds like the same god damn beat. It just Slllllllowly builds, oh wait its not, oh maybe it is, oh it didn't go anywhere and I'm still standing here 15 min later waiting for something that's never coming...ahhhhhh just drop it already!!!!!!!!!!!! I was there for plastikman last year. Got there early to get a good spot. Stayed for 25 min and left. Like I said maybe its just not my style. I like to dance and I just cant dance to it. I can understand what you guys are saying about his mixing skills. I've been listening to EDM for a long time and I get that part of it. I can see myself throwing some of his mixes on while chilling at home. Maybe after I get home at 4am or playing WWF doing some bullshit or something. All I'm saying is, if the clock strikes midnight and I'm at a party like that I'm leaving that set to find something else.

Perhaps it's because the guy is used to doing marathon sets. 1 1/2 hours to Richie is more than brusque.

Quote Originally Posted by mattpach View Post
    Some more videos of Richie's set.

20 minutes of the set.

That's a pretty cool set up! Was he spinning CDs only or did he bring his tables?
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Richie usually doesn't use CDJ's or tables. He usually has a couple Xone 1d's/Kontrol x1's, Xone 92 + Lemurs/Ipads and Maschine

Yea..but did he bring his entire digital traktor set up? For one little show in LA???? I've seen him on tables and cdjs after he adopted traktor in '08... just curious
    Rhythm is a dancer.

anyone catch loco dice and marco carolla and superfreq on sunday?
    coachella 06 '07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13' 14'

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgasm View Post
    Yea..but did he bring his entire digital traktor set up? For one little show in LA???? I've seen him on tables and cdjs after he adopted traktor in '08... just curious
    There's a few good ones of his set up in this link, you can kind of see his MPC(?) in the one in this quote....

Quote Originally Posted by Derekx View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't. My phone was almost dead by the time Hawtin went on and I was barely able to get this video.

I have some pictures here though
    http://derekx-richiehawtin.buzznet.com/user/photos/
    Wasn't just a simple DJ set, but it wasn't his full set up. By the end of his set I wanted another 4 hours for sure. This set was unlike anything I've ever heard from Mr. Hawtin, I think he put a lot of effort into this one because it was the first ever all techno stage at a massive in So Cal. it seemed like everyone stepped up their game at this. Everyone was sooooooo good.

Quote Originally Posted by arman View Post
    anyone catch loco dice and marco carolla and superfreq on sunday?
    Loco Dice and Marco Carola were both VERY good, but Richie was better than anyone could have predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    wow those Richie video's do no justice to what actually was going down in the chess village during that time
    They really don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
    Richie usually doesn't use CDJ's or tables. He usually has a couple Xone 1d's/Kontrol x1's, Xone 92 + Lemurs/Ipads and Maschine
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurgasm View Post
    He had the traktor set up with him no tables or CDJs which really isn't that much. I know he had the Xone 92, Traktor Kontrol x1, and Maschine with him.
    He also played SXSW and Ultra is this weekend, not to mention he hasn't played Los Angeles in some time (I think Nocturnal 08). So I'm not sure why he wouldn't bring the entire Traktor setup that consist of a mixer and a couple of controllers.

So can you please stop trying to down play ever single fucking show we get here in LA? Regardless of your thoughts of LA I'm sure Richie and all the others are loving their giant payday from Insomniac.

Quote Originally Posted by Distorted_Jungle View Post
    Wasn't just a simple DJ set, but it wasn't his full set up. By the end of his set I wanted another 4 hours for sure. This set was unlike anything I've ever heard from Mr. Hawtin, I think he put a lot of effort into this one because it was the first ever all techno stage at a massive in So Cal. it seemed like everyone stepped up their game at this. Everyone was sooooooo good.
    I have to agree. A while back someone sent me around 120 Richie Hawtin sets and I've been through about 80 of them and not a single one sounds like what we heard this weekend.
    Last edited by mattpach; 03-23-2011 at 03:19 PM.

So can you please stop trying to down play ever single fucking show we get here in LA? Regardless of your thoughts of LA I'm sure Richie and all the others are loving their giant payday from Insomniac.
    Seconded.

First ever all techno stage at a socal massive? That's a bit hyperbolic.

Every time I look at his pictures that's how I feel. He's always at the worst stages, he's like Deadmaufives best friend so it doesn't surprise me that much.

Funniest thing to happen all night: Walking out toward our hotel after the festival and this happened...

Wife: Can I divorce you and marry Richie Hawtin?

Me: Of course!

kid walking infront of us: *turns around* Who?

Me: Richie Hawtin

Kid: Richie Who?

Everyone: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Kid's girlfriend: Ummm... Kaskade... Heaven... Hellooooo...

Me: It's not even worth it, I'm good.

That taking place right after the set Hawtin played was just too much.
    Oh I didn't even see that you posted this. I almost fell over. The look that kid gave us was fucking priceless. He looked like someone had stuck a turd under his nose.

Loco Dice and Marco Carola were both VERY good, but Richie was better than anyone could have predicted.

No not at beyond, i witnessed richie destory it saturday, but loco and carolla played a second show in downtown the next day, was planning on going but couldnt make it, heard it was an amazing and intimate show
    coachella 06 '07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13' 14'

I have to agree. A while back someone sent me around 120 Richie Hawtin sets and I've been through about 80 of them and not a single one sounds like what we heard this weekend.
    If by any chance there's a set amongst the last 40 that does sound like what we heard on Saturday, can you send it my way?
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

If by any chance there's a set amongst the last 40 that does sound like what we heard on Saturday, can you send it my way?
    If something even close is out there I would like a copy as well.

Thirded.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Ya I seriously couldn't ID a single track from his set beside his Plastikman samples. Speaking of Plastikman, my brother got me a shirt for my bday!

Yeah, you could tell he had just come off a plastikman tour and felt like fucking some minds at a mindless massive. We just all scored, because EVERYONE who played that state IDOLIZES mr hawtin so EVERYONE brought their A-Game. Fucking spectacular evening.

Can anybody tell me the Track ID of this song? its so dirty omg. i need to know! thanks! its from Loco Dice's set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooru2A13Dmw

Lurker

Hey guys, just posted my review and pictures from Beyond Wonderland. check it out and tell me what you think.

http://electrodancemedia.com/blog/be...onderland_2011

Quote Originally Posted by jsuddreth View Post
    Hey guys, just posted my review and pictures from Beyond Wonderland. check it out and tell me what you think.

it's terrible and unoriginal.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by SDsoldier7 View Post
    it's terrible and unoriginal.
    A critique critiquing a critique, i love it =D

A critique critiquing a critique, i love it =D
    please don't

Well I like this....

Out of all the stages set up at Beyond Wonderland, the Chess Village (aka the techno room) had some of the best music all night. The fans were very enthusiastic about the music and every single person in that hanger was dancing or bobbing to the constant beat of Richie Hawtin.

Richie Hawtin is widely considered one of the best minimal techno DJ/producers in the world and brings an amazing performance to every stage he plays on. Hawtin started his set off with a mind-melting intro that got the dance floor moving in unison to a hard as hell bass line that rattled the sole of everyone in there. As the set went on you could hear sprinkles of Plastikman’s “Spastik” thrown in every once and awhile as well as drops and build-ups that seemed to vanish and miraculously return moments later. Despite Techno not being for everyone, Richie Hawtin was pretty much the best DJ playing at Beyond Wonderland and absolutely blew my mind. Once Hawtin’s groove gets ahold of you it refuses to let go until the very end. Insomniac need to bring
    But I don't like this...

While Richie Hawtin was tearing up the dance floor in the Chess Village, Kaskade was on the main stage playing an amazing set as usual. The highlight of Kaskade’s set was right at the halfway mark where he started to bring it into a more tech/house style and dropped one of my favorite tracks “Flash” Nicky Ramiro Remix. Another good track he played was a remix of Skrillex’s “Scary Monsters and Nice Sprits” which blew the dance floor away when it got dropped.