Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: EDC 2011

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

Default Re: EDC 2011

these new precautions should definitely make edc all the better this year. time to start hotel shoppin.

On the local news the other day(Fox 11?) they had Pasquale on and some commissioners for the coliseum and man did he look slick, great suit, slicked back hair, I could see the money coming out of his pockets.

EDIT:

what they meant to say:
    "Alcohol, Caffeine & Drugs dehydrates the body"
    Last edited by heyeric; 02-04-2011 at 03:04 PM.

how many people were there last year? surely more than 75k...

60,000-70,000 day 1
    100,000 day 2

someone explain this map

Nothing to explain, just used as a visual aid for the promoter to explain things to the commission. (Ive been to a couple of these meetings, some in the past were open to the public)

Banned

Looks like the same layout as last year

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    tao was FUCKING PACKED. so I have a feeling edc will be as well.
    I was at TAO for the first time last year and it will be my fucking LAST! That will call situation was the worst I have ever seen. My gf and I didn't get in until about 10:30 even though we got to the venue at 7:30. THEN we had to wait until 4AM to catch a cab back to our hotel because there were so many fucking people trying to do the same. Luckily we made chill friends from SD at the Carls Jr. up the street, which was a sad sight of about 100 kandy kids coming down from their rolls.

EDC on the other hand was a completely different story. I don't know if it was because we had VIP, but getting into the event was a breeze and once inside I didn't feel cramped or squished at all. I don't know how it compared to past EDCs because it was my first, but I didn't exeperience the mad rush of people everyone seems to be reporting. It's the only So Cal rave I'll ever go to again.

Banned

Overall the quality of Insomniac events has drastically gone down in recent years. I do give them credit for finally rotating some of the same shitty djs they always have at their parties but I think that's due to Hard coming up in LA. The way they organize their events is shameful. Insomniac is now a money making machine. I remember buying tickets to edc the night of for $45

So, you're saying insomniac is booking better djs because of the quality of djs that hard books?
    Quote Originally Posted by juloxx View Post
    Shut the fuck up you pussy. If you dont get down with Westside Connection you have no credibility in the music world what so-ever. Get off these forums you *** *** and go bump your N'sync
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    I'm down with westside connect....fail again

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by djandrews25 View Post
    So, you're saying insomniac is booking better djs because of the quality of djs that hard books?
    No that's not what I'm saying. Sorry let me clarify. Up until Hard started throwin events Insomniac had this thing of booking the same ol djs. Great djs but same shit year after year. So when Hard started to bring a more diverse group into LA Insomniac changed up the line up. They added more electro and dubstep. They also gave djs like Boys Noize and Fake Blood more exposure in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by dnbmunke View Post
    No that's not what I'm saying. Sorry let me clarify. Up until Hard started throwin events Insomniac had this thing of booking the same ol djs. Great djs but same shit year after year. So when Hard started to bring a more diverse group into LA Insomniac changed up the line up. They added more electro and dubstep. They also gave djs like Boys Noize and Fake Blood more exposure in LA.
    They've always booked a lot of the same DJ's year after year, this is nothing new. Gary has done this with Hard by booking the same DJ's at many of his events. The diverse group of artists your mentioning were always apart of LA's rave culture. I don't think Hard had any influence on Insomniac's booking procedure, it's quite the opposite, if it weren't for Pasquale's parties and the massive success they had in LA, Gary wouldn't be anywhere close to where he is today. He's a kid with a trust fund.

Edit: But I get where your coming from to, this music has just gone so mainstream in America the last 3-4 years you can't really give much credit to Gary, he was just booking what he was reading about. Prop's to him though. It worked, sometimes.
    Last edited by heyeric; 02-04-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by heyeric View Post
    They've always booked a lot of the same DJ's year after year, this is nothing new. Gary has done this with Hard by booking the same DJ's at many of his events. The diverse group of artists your mentioning were always apart of LA's rave culture. I don't think Hard had any influence on Insomniac's booking procedure, it's quite the opposite, if it weren't for Pasquale's parties and the massive success they had in LA, Gary wouldn't be anywhere close to where he is today. He's a kid with a trust fund.
    I disagree. Gary has been around for ages. He stuck to playin parties and Pasquale decided to start promoting events in the early 90's. this gave Pasquale an advantage by about a decade or more. To say that Gary's success has come from Pasquale and Insomniac is just silly.

True, Gary did stick to his roots which I believe is more important than anything.

Banned

I guess it's like anything else. Anyone could have been that Pasquale. it could have easily have been Gary. The scene and the culture has always been in LA. It was just a matter of the right person coming at the right time. Plus I give Hard credit for bringing djs around you don't hear much about. I know their parties can still go a long way but give credit where credit is due.

I guess what I was really trying to get across was that if Pasquale didn't take that leap to start promoting huge events and massives, it would have taken much longer for angeleno's to give artist's that Gary booked a chance on a much larger scale. When I saw the 2010 lineup for EDC the influence of Hard Event's was easily visible. I've read a few things here and there on the web about him working closely with Paul T and Sahara booking.

Gotta love LA!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by heyeric View Post
    I guess what I was really trying to get across was that if Pasquale didn't take that leap to start promoting huge events and massives, it would have taken much longer for angeleno's to give artist's that Gary booked a chance on a much larger scale. When I saw the 2010 lineup for EDC the influence of Hard Event's was easily visible. I've read a few things here and there on the web about him working closely with Paul T and Sahara booking.

Gotta love LA!
    I love the EDM scene in LA. Can't beat it in the west that's for sure. : )

I also can't wait to dance my fucking ass off in the SAHARA!!!

I heard that no glowsticks or lights this year

No lights or toys ok..but no..glowsticks....?

W...T...F

That is upsetting but logical. City planners/politicians/parents aren't going to know or care about the subtle difference between glow sticks and glo gloves/light toys. To them, it's all drug accessories. It's too bad that vast amounts of teen ravers are so irresponsible in California.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2...ke_ecstasy.php

How to Take Ecstasy: L.A. County Health Officials Teach You How

One of the more bizarre aspects of officials sanctioning raves at the publicly owned L.A. Coliseum and Sports Arena is that Los Angeles County health authorities have actually embarked on a campaign to teach young people how to take ecstasy safely.

Under the strategy of "harm reduction" -- if you're going to get wasted, mind as well help you do so without killing yourself -- the county this year will distribute fliers at raves that give tips that essentially amount to advice on how not to O.D. on this illicit, schedule 1 drug.

old school

I am very glad to see them actually being responsible, a step in the right direction!

Quote Originally Posted by theresalwaysone View Post
    http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2...ke_ecstasy.php

How to Take Ecstasy: L.A. County Health Officials Teach You How

One of the more bizarre aspects of officials sanctioning raves at the publicly owned L.A. Coliseum and Sports Arena is that Los Angeles County health authorities have actually embarked on a campaign to teach young people how to take ecstasy safely.

Under the strategy of "harm reduction" -- if you're going to get wasted, mind as well help you do so without killing yourself -- the county this year will distribute fliers at raves that give tips that essentially amount to advice on how not to O.D. on this illicit, schedule 1 drug.

I think this is one the best things officials can do about the rampant irresponsible drug use at these events. It's clear that that 15 year old girl and her friends didn't know what the fuck they were doing. Not to say that she should have died or anything, but if you're going to do drugs, you have to be responsible about it. Responsible irresponsibility.

In SF from about 89-95/96 that harm reduction shit was EVERYWHERE.

Good. I mean that stuff is common sense but 15 year olds think they are invincible.

Banned

That is fucking retarded you know why? I remember going to raves a decade ago and Dancesafe always had booths set up with fliers on different drugs. They also had people that would test your pill to ensure it was only MDMA you were swallowing. They got into trouble and law enforcement stopped them from setting up shop at parties. The reason was that they considered it drug dealing to take a pill, test it and then knowingly handing it back with the confirmation of it being an illicit drug.

Dancesafe actually educated many people on the spot about how to responsibly do drugs. Now the city decides to dothis on their own like it's a new fucking idea? I mean it's great that they finally got the fucking hint but honestly if they would have allowed organizations like dancesafe to stick around maybe some of these deaths could have been avoided.

No offense, dnbmunke, but your little rant doesn't explain how implementing these fliers is "fucking retarded." What do you want? Some sort of nod to Dancesafe on the flier? Obviously it would be fantastic if there were drug testing booths because there are so many pills cut with high amounts of meth and other unsafe shit, but the probability of that happening again soon is highly unlikely. You should be glad that any amount of awareness and safety is being re-instituted into raving culture.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    No offense, dnbmunke, but your little rant doesn't explain how implementing these fliers is "fucking retarded." What do you want? Some sort of nod to Dancesafe on the flier? Obviously it would be fantastic if there were drug testing booths because there are so many pills cut with high amounts of meth and other unsafe shit, but the probability of that happening again soon is highly unlikely. You should be glad that any amount of awareness and safety is being re-instituted into raving culture.
    No offense taken but starting off with "little rant" doesn't help. : )
    Look I agree with you it's great that they are putting in some safety back in the scene. I guess what I'm most upset about is that organizations like dancesafe knew the benefit of having edu ational booths at parties. It's just upsetting to see that now the fucking city and government officials see that same benefit.

I'm totally for safety and drug education at parties. To insist otherwise is insulting.

I understand and agree with your frustration. I didn't mean to imply that you aren't in favor of safety and education, I just wanted to point out that at least something is being done. By the way, were the raves you were going to with dancesafe put on by companies like Insomniac? Or were they smaller events?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I understand and agree with your frustration. I didn't mean to imply that you aren't in favor of safety and education, I just wanted to point out that at least something is being done. By the way, were the raves you were going to with dancesafe put on by companies like Insomniac? Or were they smaller events?
    Yea no worries. I guess I just see it as too little too late. If they didn't want to educate people when there were only 10,000 at a massive good luck with trying to reach out to 100,000 at a party.

It was both actually. Insomniac, B3, and Go Ventures all had those booths around. It was a great thing too. They would have information on everything from ketamine, acid, shrooms etc.... You could go to a booth and ask questions. Get your pill tested. I think they removed them if I'm correct around 2002-2003 ish??

...and the dancesafe booths from 2002-2004 at B3 and Insomniac Events would keep your pill if it was cut with to many substances.