Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast

Thread: EDC 2011

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Default Re: EDC 2011

http://www.savetherave.org/

Looks like Fiona's putting the bill on hold to develop a task force to "create a Task Force with the stakeholders and the community to develop "Best Practices" for Raves and other EDM Events."

Most likely just bullshitting to get people to cancel the planned protest at her own NYE event.

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    my favorite part of the article is the overdose on ecstacy cocaine and heroin. hello stupid. it's not the rave's fault you're an idiot.
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldragon03 View Post
    I thought the LA Weekly was one of those liberal, lets do tons of drugs, types of papers.
    They are, with everything else, except this it seems.

As stated above, The Weekly is kind of hating that one of the last musical underground ''scenes'' in this city is going to stadiums and arenas. so of course, they will try to put their bad light on it, and think this is the right path. The other problem is, if it was just all warehouse parties and whatnot, those would get too popular and then have to expand. So they are actually not going in the right direction. The thing is, you can see how the promoters have really been putting alot of these artists in venues around town more and more, with other talent that could have just been at EDC, Nocturnal, TAO etc etc. If they banned the big events, who is stop stop somebody putting something on 2 or 3 nights at the palladium and having multiple acts? They cant....

The VAGABOND is already sold out...

and so is the Raddison
    Last edited by ELECtROjan; 01-03-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    UNDERWORLD - 2015 - THE PRODIGY

Quote Originally Posted by ELECtROjan View Post
    The VAGABOND is already sold out...

and so is the Raddison
    just get a room at the ritz carlton at la live

Paul is dead

USC president urges students not to attend raves

The educator cites the dangers of the illegal drug Ecstasy, which is commonly associated with the electronic music dance parties.

By Rong-Gong Lin II, Los Angeles Times

January 27, 2011

The president of USC is warning students not to attend raves, saying use of the illegal drug Ecstasy at the massive dance parties "can create a ripple effect of dangers that lead to catastrophic consequences."

"I wish to warn you about a specific danger that has become increasingly prevalent in the city of Los Angeles: raves. Occasionally, these are held close to our campuses, often at the Coliseum or the Shrine, and they present serious risks to all who attend," USC President C.L. Max Nikias wrote in the letter sent by e-mail Wednesday to USC students. The letter was first reported by the Neon Tommy website.

Nikias said Ecstasy is common at raves and can produce paranoia, panic attacks and hallucinations. "Therefore, with the collective support of the university's senior administration — and as the father of two USC students — I strongly discourage your participation at rave events," he wrote.

Coliseum managers declined to comment on the letter.

The warning came just three weeks after Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and Sports Arena officials declared the Together as One rave, which attracted 45,000 people on New Year's Eve, a success. Seventeen patients were transported from the Sports Arena to hospitals, a drop from the previous year, when 34 were transported.

"It was a good event. It went great," Patrick Lynch, the venues' general manager, said previously of the New Year's Eve rave. Lynch said the addition of onsite medical staff helped reduce the number of patients taken to hospitals.

But Los Angeles police and county emergency medical services officials said the number of hospital transports was still significant. The 17 patients taken to nine hospitals between 6 p.m. and 2:30 a.m. "is a lot for the local hospitals to absorb," said Cathy Chidester, director of the county emergency medical services agency.

Chidester said her agency continues to treat raves as mass-casualty incidents to prevent hospitals nearest the Coliseum from being overwhelmed by severely drug-intoxicated patients, who require extensive resources and staffing.

Patients from the New Year's Eve rave were transferred to hospitals as far away as Harbor-UCLA Medical Center near Torrance, 13 miles from the Sports Arena.

Raves are big business for the Coliseum and Sports Arena, making up about 28% of their revenue. The publicly owned venues have been struggling financially recently; from July 1 to Nov. 30, their income was $1 million below their target of $2.3 million.

Some commissioners have suggested that raves' burden on law enforcement and hospitals is similar to that imposed by traditional rock concerts. Police officials disagreed.

"Since I've been in South Bureau, I haven't had to police a traditional type of rock concert in 25 years, probably," said Los Angeles Police Department Cmdr. Bob Green. Raves are the primary events police must oversee, he said.

There were 12 felony arrests and 22 misdemeanor arrests at the New Year's Eve rave, mostly related to drugs or false identification. Sixty officers patrolled the inside of the Sports Arena, while 286 officers patrolled the exterior.

Green said crowding was a problem: Some attendees waited as long as 90 minutes to enter, putting pressure on screeners to work faster at the expense of thoroughness.

The letter from USC's president was released a week before the Coliseum Commission will meet. The commission — a joint state, county and city panel — could discuss whether to bring back the Electric Daisy Carnival rave in June. A 15-year-old girl, Sasha Rodriguez, overdosed on Ecstasy at that event last year, fell into a coma and later died.

The letter also came about two months after an 18-year-old USC freshman who had been partying at a rave at the Shrine Auditorium fell six stories from his dorm room. The student, who appeared to have consumed alcohol, marijuana and Ecstasy, suffered multiple broken bones and internal injuries and was hospitalized in critical condition.

Pasquale Rotella, founder of Insomniac Inc., which put on the Electric Daisy Carnival, released a statement in response to Nikias' letter:

"The president's advice to the students is surprising.... Insomniac's events aim to cultivate and enrich the human mind and spirit through the arts."

The state of California has asked USC if it is interested in buying the land on which the Coliseum and Sports Arena sit, USC officials said in December. The sale would help the state with its budget problems. Negotiations were expected to take several months.

The next meeting of the Coliseum Commission will be Feb. 2 at 2:30 p.m. at the commission meeting room near Gate 33-A on the eastern edge of the Coliseum. An agenda for that meeting has not yet been posted.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

If USC buys the Coliseum, I guess we could see EDC out at the Polo Fields again - Not too many places in socal to hold that many people...

I was looking for this thread last night. IF they do keep it at the coliseum, they should have this there...

tell me that wouldn't be the coolest thing ever?!

it would be so sick flying over the coliseum at night
    Last edited by tmac; 01-27-2011 at 09:36 PM.

right? i'm sure you'd have to wait all night to ride it once, and it'd probably be worth it.

yes you would and yes it would be. i feel like there is way too much liability involved for it to actually happen tho. tis a shame

hmmm. maybe the last day is cleaning everything up? if not thats awesome.

I thought that aswell, but it does say 4:00-2:00 just like the other days

think it will be overcrowded even with the 18+ rule?

monster massive was practically empty with the new rule in 2010, but the previous years were packed..

it should be less crowded then last year, which means it will still be too crowded

Quote Originally Posted by heyeric View Post
    i think your right about that. i have a good friend who's a marketing director for go ventures/insomniac and she said it's 2 days.
    And the EDC website says that it's 2 days.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

wooops, deleted my comment.(stupid iphone)
    Last edited by heyeric; 02-01-2011 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pewpew87 View Post
    think it will be overcrowded even with the 18+ rule?

monster massive was practically empty with the new rule in 2010, but the previous years were packed..
    Probably

The key is to stay out of the Coliseum

tao was FUCKING PACKED. so I have a feeling edc will be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brochella View Post
    Probably

The key is to stay out of the Coliseum
    I wish someone would have given me this advice last year. I actually may have enjoyed myself.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kronz420 View Post
    Exactly. And remember those Tonka soundsystems where kids could crawl into the speakers lol ah the good old days
    This made me happy to read. I used to crawl into the bottom of those speakers rollin balls!!! When you talked it sounded like when you talk in front of a fan. Good times! Thanks for the memory flashback!

Also I miss standing on top of the speakers fist pumping the shit outta hardcore. Omar Santana was GOD back in those days

Anyone remember in 06' when they dropped all those daisy's from the helicopters to celebrate a wedding. That was fuckin' unbelievable.
    1L☮e.

Quote Originally Posted by emtgreg View Post
    tao was FUCKING PACKED. so I have a feeling edc will be as well.
    The 18-20 year olds have to do something on NYE, not many options out there. I think EDC will be a lot less crowded due to the 18+ rule. I have been to an 18+ event that was crowded yet.

Tiesto, Swedish House Mafia, if there's a third day I have no idea who can headline...Guetta lol?
    I'ma ball at the mall shuttin' down the sea wall

Banned

You know what I do miss is having massives at different venues. Yes I do understand it's gotten so big it has to be done in huge arenas now. It was just awesome anticipating the next venue. One of my favorite edc's was at the queen Mary fairgrounds. 02, 03 maybe?? I remember you could dance on the beach. You had the long beach skyline in front of you. At some point in the night they had a boat do a lit up water show ala bellagio but much smaller scale.

ha that sounds pretty cool. I would love to throw a party in front of the Bellagio, btw. When I was there last year tripping out on the fountains I just kept thinking about how rad it would be if it were synced to better music. But yes, I do agree with you - I really miss massives at different venues as well! Indian reservations, water parks, ski resorts, **brand new, all grass, virgin location** - those were fun times.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    ha that sounds pretty cool. I would love to throw a party in front of the Bellagio, btw. When I was there last year tripping out on the fountains I just kept thinking about how rad it would be if it were synced to better music. But yes, I do agree with you - I really miss massives at different venues as well! Indian reservations, water parks, ski resorts, **brand new, all grass, virgin location** - those were fun times.
    Exactly. Another great party I slightly remember lol was jujubeats @ santas village in the mountains.

I also remember I think it was called Atlantis back in like 2002. What they did for this party is they split it up into three venues. It was at the Orion / q topia / carnival. I remember they rented a bunch of school buses to carry you off to the different locations in dt LA. I look back now and wonder if that would ever be possible today. It was a shitload of kande kidz rollin and fryin balls on a school bus at 4am haha.

Also how sweet it is @ lake perris was pretty epic. So epic in fact they banned raves from ever happening there again

That helps a tiny bit....
    Upcoming Shows:
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields
    U2: 6/28 @ United Center