Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: EDC 2011

Default Re: EDC 2011

I'm so happy about the harm reduction stuff... it almost seems like a joke or a trap but if it's real then I'd like to hug the brave person who made this happen. It's really difficult to do harm reduction in America in general since drugs = crime and drug users = criminals, so it really must have taken some guts to say "you know what, these kids are doing e anyway, how about we make sure they do it safely?"

The author of that piece can get the deez though:

Wow. We're just waiting for the tips on how to smoke crack and of course, how to properly shoot heroin.
    Fuck Ronald Reagan. Swag.

No kidding. People who put crack and meth and heroin in the same classification as drugs like ecstasy and mushrooms that are severely less addictive and damaging to the body's central nervous system are a plague on our society.

10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival
    10/22: Roman Flugel @ f8
    10/25: Moodymann @ PW
    11/20: The Drive by Truckers, Sturgill Simpson @ The Fillmore

I mean, I'm fine with the government giving out tips on smoking crack and shooting heroin. Treating drug users like criminals at all is completely backwards, if anything it should be treated like a disease and treated accordingly. People are going to smoke crack, people are going to shoot heroin, and so yeah, we SHOULD make every effort to educate those people as best we can and reduce the harm that comes entirely and explicitly from the criminalization of drugs. That shit's dangerous to begin with, but when you're treated like a criminal and education is seen as supportive of criminal behavior it just becomes far more dangerous. Like with heroin, fuck yes we should treat people how to shoot it (e.g. don't share needles), and maybe we'd stop a few people from catching AIDS.

Anyway, I could go on, the way America treats drugs is basically wrong on every level. This harm reduction is amazing, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it to spread far outside of the massive rave context. Again, motherfuck Ronald Reagan.

Technically the whole War on Drugs thing was Nancy Reagan's brainchild. Fuck her.

Fuck ______ Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Technically the whole War on Drugs thing was Nancy Reagan's brainchild. Fuck her.
    Except when Richard Nixon came up with it 15 years prior. Details, details, I know...

It was originally the result of heroin abuse amongst soldiers in the Vietnam War. The Reagans just resurrected it as crack spread in popularity.
    Last edited by ramblinon; 02-08-2011 at 04:59 PM.

This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinon View Post
    Except when Richard Nixon came up with it 15 years prior. Details, details, I know...

It was originally the result of heroin abuse amongst soldiers in the Vietnam War. The Reagans just resurrected it as crack spread in popularity.
    That's true, I should have used the word brainchild. It was her shtick and shimmy.

Hervé
    Herve on a plane will begin over the coming months.

thats from his twitter. i hope to god this means he is coming to LA at some point. EDC or anything would be amazing

Quote Originally Posted by one2fast View Post
    Just some crappy blog put out by local ravers. Fatboy Slim would be a win for Friday's Headliner spot though. Hell, I'd even take a Saturday Headlining set, maybe LA will show him a little more gratitude because he doesn't get enough here.

yeah, its crappy but the same guy made a list last year and it was 85% right so its always a good read.

You have a tragic definition of what constitutes a "good read."

When will EDC have a functioning website year around where ravers can discuss stuff on a forum? I say NEVER. Could you imagine what the board would consist of. HAHA

plurlife.com

I almost vomited a rainbow.

::shudder::

thanks cara

Rave support shrinks in light of Coliseum official's alleged conflict of interest
    Commission president no longer backs return of Electric Daisy Carnival after Coliseum's events manager is revealed to be working for the rave promoter. Prosecutors and state ethics agency are investigating.

By Andrew Blankstein, Rong-Gong Lin II and Paul Pringle, Los Angeles Times

February 10, 2011

The head of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission on Wednesday withdrew his support for bringing a giant rave back to the stadium after The Times disclosed that an administrator for the agency worked at the same time for the producer of the trouble-plagued event.

Commission President David Israel's pledge to oppose a return of the Electric Daisy Carnival came as two investigations were launched into Todd DeStefano's simultaneous employment by the Coliseum and the producer, Insomniac Inc.

"The integrity of the Coliseum is not for sale by any commissioner or any member of the staff," said Israel, who had previously backed Insomniac's events.

The company has been staging raves at the stadium and the neighboring Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, which the commission also runs, since 1998. Electric Daisy is a major revenue source for the Coliseum.

The DeStefano controversy also prompted Commissioner Rick Caruso to call Wednesday for the resignation of Commission General Manager Patrick Lynch. In addition, it spilled into the race between Los Angeles City Councilman Bernard Parks, who is a rave proponent, and his challenger on the March ballot.

The commission's longtime assistant general manager for events, DeStefano went to work for Insomniac about two months before last June's Electric Daisy, which was marred by numerous drug overdoses and the death of a 15-year-old girl.

DeStefano played a key role for the commission in arranging for security and emergency services at Electric Daisy. Lynch gave him permission to work at the same time for Insomniac.

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office and state Fair Political Practices Commission on Wednesday announced separate investigations into the circumstances surrounding DeStefano's double employment.

"The Coliseum Commission was lied to by our staff about how the security for the raves was planned," said Caruso, a prominent developer. "We have now learned the fox was guarding the henhouse, since the staffer in charge of planning security was also secretly working for the rave organizer."

DeStefano, Lynch and Insomniac representatives did not return telephone calls seeking comment Wednesday. In earlier interviews, DeStefano and Lynch said they did nothing wrong.

Parks, whose council district includes the Coliseum, accused Caruso of "showboating" and said the panel should treat Lynch's involvement in the DeStefano-Insomniac relationship as a private personnel matter.

Parks also restated his backing of raves as an economic boost for his district, saying the Electric Daisy Carnival delivers 4,000 jobs and $33 million in revenue for the city.

But his opponent in the upcoming 8th District council election, Forescee Hogan-Rowles, said any future raves should be canceled until promoters can ensure that illegal drugs would be kept out of the Coliseum. She also said Parks should return a $500 campaign contribution from DeStefano and a $250 donation from Pasquale Rotella, the founder of Insomniac.

DeStefano also donated $1,500 to Parks' campaign for county supervisor in 2008.

Lynch has donated widely to Coliseum commissioners. From 1999 to 2001, he gave $1,450 to Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, who was then a city councilman. He contributed $950 to Parks between 2002 and 2007.

Last year's Electric Daisy was the largest rave ever held at the Coliseum, drawing 185,000 people over two days. About 120 attendees were taken to the hospital, mostly for drug intoxication. One of them, Sasha Rodriguez, died two days later of an Ecstasy overdose.

Afterward, Los Angeles Police Department officials said there should have been more security at the event. LAPD Deputy Chief Pat Gannon told The Times this week that he frequently clashed with DeStefano over safety issues.

Security preparations were important to Insomniac because the company paid many of the costs. DeStefano and Lynch have denied that Insomniac's finances had anything to do with the commission staff's security standards.

In a Times interview last week, DeStefano said he went to work for Insomniac last April and was paid through one of three companies that he has launched from his home since 2006. He declined to reveal the amount.

Lynch said he reduced DeStefano's commission pay last year — he earned about $172,000 in 2009 — because of his work for Insomniac, but DeStefano continued to represent the Coliseum in planning for Electric Daisy.

In January, Lynch informed Israel of DeStefano's employment by Insomniac. Israel said he directed Lynch to give DeStefano the choice of quitting the commission or severing his ties with the company. DeStefano resigned to become a full-time events promoter, including for Insomniac.

Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office, said its Public Integrity Division would look into whether DeStefano's employment was a criminal conflict of interest.

Roman Porter, executive director of the Fair Political Practices Commission, said his agency would investigate whether DeStefano violated laws by failing to disclose income from an outside source and engaging in a conflict of interest.

Porter said the inquiry would also determine whether DeStefano violated "revolving door" statutes that require government employees to wait at least one year after leaving their jobs before lobbying their former agencies.

The FPPC imposes administrative penalties, but could refer evidence of criminal violations to state or local prosecutors.

The Times reported Wednesday that DeStefano had never filed financial disclosures required by the state for someone in his position.

DeStefano said he was not asked to file them, but commission records reviewed by The Times showed that he was notified of the requirement in 2008 and 2009.

andrew.blankstein@latimes.com

ron.lin@latimes.com

paul.pringle@latimes.com

Times staff writer Maeve Reston contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2011, Los Angeles Times
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by dnbmunke View Post
    They also had people that would test your pill to ensure it was only MDMA you were swallowing.

I mean it's great that they finally got the fucking hint but honestly if they would have allowed organizations like dancesafe to stick around maybe some of these deaths could have been avoided.
    Obviously it would be fantastic if there were drug testing booths because there are so many pills cut with high amounts of meth and other unsafe shit, but the probability of that happening again soon is highly unlikely.
    The field testing done by Dancesafe and others cannot tell if a pill is cut with something else. The test can only tell if the pill is one drug or the other. If a pill contains MDMA (or a relative such as MDA) the test will turn up positive for MDMA. The test will not show if that pill also contains speed/meth etc. The test will only come up positive for another substance if there is no MDMA (or relative) present.

The problem (for the most part, and especially recently) is not that the pills are cut, but that people are taking too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinon View Post
    That's true, I should have used the word brainchild. It was her shtick and shimmy.
    Nancy Reagan was simply falling in line with her husband's politics. Her schtick/shimmy and brainchild was the Just Say No campaign. Telling kids to not do drugs is a good thing. Obviously drug education needs to be more comprehensive than just say no, but I still see it as a positive.

pretty shocking. thanks for the read fb, insomniac really seems to be struggling this year with booking the coliseum. hope they can work something out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by heyeric View Post
    pretty shocking. thanks for the read fb, insomniac really seems to be struggling this year with booking the coliseum. hope they can work something out in the end.
    its not Insomniac... this shits been going on since 1998.

its this guy - Todd DeStefano's

and the rest of the crooked representatives who got caught stuffing their pockets w/ EDC revenue

now that i look at the numbers 121 people out of 185,000... not a bad number at all. And one death, which i blame completely on the negligence of her parents.
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

The question that came to mind is that he left his $175,000 a year job to work for Insomniac? I'm in the wrong business.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

So DeStefano is the one who's in charge of securing the facility for Insomniac yearly? You can't stop drug use, just like you can't deny kids trick-or-treating on halloween. If you have 185,000 kids doing it, someones bound to either get sick from candy or drugs. Such a horrible comparison but it just goes to show there are always those odds of people getting sick in either situation.

Edit: PS: Where would they even take the Festival if it's getting such a bad wrap here in California? Who would want to even let themselves be liable after the stories that have been shared.
    Last edited by heyeric; 02-10-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heyeric View Post
    So DeStefano is the one who's in charge of securing the facility for Insomniac yearly? You can't stop drug use, just like you can't deny kids trick-or-treating on halloween. If you have 185,000 kids doing it, someones bound to either get sick from candy or drugs. Such a horrible comparison but it just goes to show there are always those odds of people getting sick in either situation.

Edit: PS: Where would they even take the Festival if it's getting such a bad wrap here in California? Who would want to even let themselves be liable after the stories that have been shared.
    ...The Inland Empire.

Shared my thoughts on my blog. Lemme know what you guys think http://labeatconnection.com/

They could always move EDC back to the polo fields like the old days...

EDIT : I swore it was at the polo fields once or twice but couldnt find anything about it ... could be wrong
    Last edited by NachoCat; 02-10-2011 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brochella View Post
    Shared my thoughts on my blog. Lemme know what you guys think http://labeatconnection.com/
    You used incessant and redundant in the same sentence so I stopped reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Brochella View Post
    I liked the summary. I haven't been following this too much but it really does seem like they are trying to use a couple people as scapegoats like you said. Also, typo? Should it be breathing down your neck? necks?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post
    Wasn't that only the one time for Nocturnal? I doubt the polo field would OK that after this shit storm. How about they find an all new virgin grass location like the old days?
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by NachoCat View Post

EDIT : I swore it was at the polo fields once or twice but couldnt find anything about it ... could be wrong
    Yes, very wrong. EDC has never been at any Polo fields. Nocturnal was held at Empire polo fields once and once only. They should move it to Golden Gate Park Polo Fields.

^^Thanks for catching that.

You used incessant and redundant in the same sentence so I stopped reading.
    I'm getting tired of your incessant nitpicking. Its becoming truly redundant.

In all seriousness, I multitask and make these posts while I'm at work, so unfortunately I can't give it my undivided attention.

Unless my boss isn't around...