Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stand-Up and/or Sit-Down Comedy Klat(s)ch

Default Stand-Up and/or Sit-Down Comedy Klat(s)ch

Old business: I accidentally watched some of a Ben Bailey comedy special the other day and it was horrifically unfunny.

New business: The Judge John Hodgman podcast is enjoyable for those who like verbose analysis of everyday mundanity and find comfort in knowing that someone somewhere is getting an earful about being wrong about something.

Miscellaneous: Mike Birbiglia and Ira Glass are working on a Sleepwalk With Me screenplay. The world is ready for another Eugene Mirman release. They're running Maria Bamford's Target ads again and I'm having a hard time dealing with the fact that I like them.

Please add to the agenda as you see fit; my intern Julia will make appropriate notes.

Default Re: Stand-Up and/or Sit-Down Comedy Klat(s)ch

If you are not getting the new Epix channel, you are missing a lot of good stand up. They are trying to take HBO's throne. New specials from Eddie Izzard, Louis CK, and David Cross are awaiting me on my DVR.

(yes, I work for a company that sells Epix, but it really is a good channel. Also, they show old Woody allen movies practically every day.)

Agreed. More Mirman. I happened to catch him on The Benson Interruption aaaand I loved it! Doug Benson can be great. Mostly I just like how much he enjoys the jokes being told. His laugh makes me laugh. But the other two guests on that episode weren't doing it for me and Doug wasn't enough on his own. His interrupting bad jokes only made them worse because they lasted longer.

I've been trying to work my way through the Ricky Gervais Show (the audio, not the animated series). It is unbelievably amazing at times but there's sooo much of it and you can't really have any distractions while listening so its taking me awhile. If you haven't heard any of it I would just try to see if you can watch some of it on HBO.

And that is my contribution for now!

I have previously assumed a somewhat irrational dislike of Doug Benson because I have no comedic stomach for pot humor, which probably isn't an entirely fair approach to liking and not liking things. If you have a recommendation, I'd give it a try.

I tried the Ricky Gervais podcast a while back and it never grabbed me. I do love Uhh Yeah Dude and You Look Nice Today, though, and find both to be easy to listen to while doing other things.

I do not get Epix or HBO. I really wish TV channels were sold a la carte.

I enjoy the standard indie-type heroes like Patton Oswalt, David Cross, Eugene Mirman and the like. I'm also a fan of the Sklar Brothers, who I guess are connected to that scene, too. They're also two of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, so I'm always pleased when something goes right for them. They've had some cool guests on their new podcast (Sklarbro Country), including some of the other comics mentioned in this thread. They're also into some pretty swell music (I heard Tame Impala on the podcast two months ago, for example).

I thought the Ricky Gervais podcasts were lots of fun, but maybe that's because I had the opportunity to hear them without too many distractions. I'll still put them on when I'm making dinner or doing the dishes or some other household chore I'm not terribly good at.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    I do not get Epix or HBO. I really wish TV channels were sold a la carte.
    HBO is only sold a-la-carte. Epix is sold differently on different systems...I get it as part of a $10 add on package.

I have previously assumed a somewhat irrational dislike of Doug Benson because I have no comedic stomach for pot humor, which probably isn't an entirely fair approach to liking and not liking things. If you have a recommendation, I'd give it a try.
    I wouldn't call Doug's work "pot humor" like Cheech & Chong, but more "humor from a pothead". But, he's never been one of my favorites. I don't think his new show translates to TV well. The Benson Interruption was developed at the UCB Theatre. It's a tiny room, and you pay like $5 to get in or something. So if you go, and he's bringing out all these big time comics, and they are allowed to flow and adlib in this tiny space, it's probably a lot more fun. The TV show suffers due to the commercials interruptions (ironic?) and the fact that you expect more from a TV show. I've been to the UCB and saw a show Jen Kirkman hosted where she just brought out comics like a talk show and they goofed around sitting on a couch. It was $4 I think. If you saw it on TV, you'd think it was the worst talk show ever.

I meant all channels a la carte, Marc. Not just the one. Paying for one channel a la carte doesn't help the budget much if I'm only able to add it onto a package deal featuring ten channels I watch and forty I don't.

If you really want to discuss the economics of a-la-carte channel pricing, I can. I don't think you do.

I understand that it's not as simple as that and that it would raise overall prices and create other problems within the industry that would require an entire overhaul of pricing and fees and broadcasting companies and etcetera. That's why it's a wish and not a manifesto. I would prefer getting half the channels for the same price if it meant I got to pick them from a larger selection. No amount of behind-the-scenes cable salesman factoids will change the fact that I don't like paying for things I'm not using.

Wait, fuck all this. This isn't comedy.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 12-15-2010 at 01:48 PM.

I'm not in sales. I actually have a degree in this crap. But yes, fuck all this.

Dana Gould has been criminally overlooked for 20 years

I haven't really seen all that much of Doug Benson myself. I'm not sure I would even recommend him. I'm kind of working through a similar unexplained vague distaste. I just liked the back and forth he and Eugene had.

I just rewatched Home Movies in its entirety and discovered Emo Philips who blew my mind.

To me, right now, the best guy out there is Louis CK. Louie and Hilarious. Both brand new, both really funny, and I really respect the fact that he doesn't reuse his material.

Emo Phillips got a bad rep for his voice and persona, but he was really amazing when he was on.

CC is running the top twenty Standup Showdown finalists today. Started watching at 16 and have enjoyed 3/4 so far without any real resentment toward the fourth. Looks like it's going to be a good year.

Edit. And we're back to healthy skepticism. A gravelly dullard who likes bacon? Better be a comedian, huh? Stop it.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 01-29-2011 at 03:06 PM.

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

joe rogan, that guy from fear factor, has some specials on netflix that are pretty freaking hilarious. i was pleasantly surprised.
    3/2 Sasha // Big Gigantic
    3/8 STS9, Cherub
    3/19 Eric Clapton
    3/21 EOTO, Govinda
    3/29 Eskmo
    4/4-4/6 Lotus @ Boulder Theater, CO
    4/8 Sigur Ros
    4/12 Gramatik
    4/15 Morrissey
    4/19 Umphrey's McGee // The M Machine
    4/20 Dirty Phonics
    5/2 Alk3
    5/10 Bonobo
    5/31 Lucky Date
    6/3 Postal Service
    6/13-6/16 Bonnaroo

Nick Kroll is the worst thing to happen to standup since the exaggeratedly prolonged catchphrase. Oh good, you can affect an overly flamboyant accent? Nobody else can do that. How funny. How funny a joke that is. Good job. Fuck off of my comedy circuit, Kroll. There's no room here for half-shirts.

Me and some friends are hitting Conan and Comedy Death Ray two days after Coachella, and I'm psyched to see Jimmy Pardo from Never Not Funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian
    The Sahara's sole purpose these days is to serve as bro-filter.

Oh, that'll be fun. He looks like a toothpaste advertisement from the '50s.

God it was sad to listen to the whole Andrew Koenig thing happen over the course of a few NNF episodes.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 03-27-2011 at 11:42 AM.

I met Emo Phillips last night!! His set was great. He's still got it.

Did he do a lot of old stuff?

Oh, that'll be fun. He looks like a toothpaste advertisement from the '50s.

God it was sad to listen to the whole Andrew Koenig thing happen over the course of a few NNF episodes.
    AK-47 RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian
    The Sahara's sole purpose these days is to serve as bro-filter.

Quote Originally Posted by samiksha View Post
    Did he do a lot of old stuff?
    he did a fair amount of old material. but there was a lot that was new to me.

one of my favorite bits:

"I want to talk about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky. ... Come on, I haven't been here since 1983, I've got a lot to cover. ...
    Bill said he never had sex with her 'per se'. ...
    Hah! I mean, who pronounces it like that?"

I also got a photo with him!
    It was a weird situation where he invited me (accidentally?) into his dressing room,
    and asked me "You want a Red Bull?" hahaha.. I was like, What is happening right now!?
    Last edited by clumsy342; 03-27-2011 at 12:56 PM.

To me, right now, the best guy out there is Louis CK. Louie and Hilarious. Both brand new, both really funny, and I really respect the fact that he doesn't reuse his material.
    I watched Hilarious last night. I had never heard of any of C.K.'s standup before, but it was pretty funny.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Norm Macdonald's 'Me Doing Stand-up' gave me a frowny face last night.

Kathy Griffin: 50 and Not Pregnant made up for it tho.
    Last edited by Starraven; 03-27-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Alright, let's get this thing to 2 pages. Can someone help me out by suggesting a good special that I might be able to watch on Netflix Instant? The only ones I've watched that I remember enjoying were Jeff Garlin and Stella live. None of you have answered me yet, so I guess I'm about to turn on John Oliver.

Have you watched the episodes of his New York Standup Show that they have up there? I remember liking those for the most part. The selections were pretty good.

Alright, let's get this thing to 2 pages. Can someone help me out by suggesting a good special that I might be able to watch on Netflix Instant? The only ones I've watched that I remember enjoying were Jeff Garlin and Stella live. None of you have answered me yet, so I guess I'm about to turn on John Oliver.
    Louis C.K. - Chewed Up. That is all you need to watch.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

this was interesting just to hear ricky gervais, louis c.k., chris rock, and jerry seinfeld's beliefs when it comes to comedy. it aired on hbo awhile back. this is part 1.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

thanks for that buddy, i wanted to watch that, but never recorded it and forgot the name of the broadcast. wonder if it's on HBO GO yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Last edited by buddy; 06-09-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    thanks for that buddy, i wanted to watch that, but never recorded it and forgot the name of the broadcast. wonder if it's on HBO GO yet?
    i can't remember it being on there, but most hbo series are on there, like the wire, and some comedy specials like chris rock's bigger and blacker etc.