Page 8 of 90 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2011 Albums

Default Re: Tell Us About 2011 Albums

One last attempt at sanity. This thread is for you to tell us what YOU think about albums you have actually heard this year. If you can't understand that then don't be shocked when everyone sticks you on ignore or asks for you to be banned from posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Red face Re: Tell Us About 2011 Albums

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    One last attempt at sanity. This thread is for you to tell us what YOU think about albums you have actually heard this year. If you can't understand that then don't be shocked when everyone sticks you on ignore or asks for you to be banned from posting.
    Originally Posted by Aurgasm View Post
    Consider posting news about new albums in the "Tell me about 2011 Albums" thread.

Sorry you were misinformed. I shall request a traditional board dildo flogging for Aurgasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

favorite song off the new Cut Copy is "Alisa". it has a mad Roxy Music vibe.

it became easier for me to fall for Zonoscope after i quickly got over the fact that it wasn't In Ghost Colors II. it isn't as sublime as its predecessor, but Zonoscope is definitely more fun, more catchy, and has just the right amounts of cheese. god, i love these guys; one of the few bands whose music can slap on an ear-to-ear grin on my face.

‘Walk’ to NOT be the next Foo Fighters single
    As promotion prior to the release of the Foo Fighters’ 7th album gears up, the first press release has been issued which contains a little more info about the accompanying documentary & names ‘Walk’ as the first single.

CONFIRMED FOR SPRING 2011 RELEASE ON ROSWELL/RCA

Butch Vig-Produced Seventh Studio Record To Hit Simultaneously With Theatrical Release Of Feature-Length Foo Fighters Documentary Directed By Academy Award Winner James Moll

Foo Fighters have launched http://tease.foofighters.com/ featuring a first taste of “Bridge Burning,” the opening track of the band’s seventh full length studio album, due out this spring on Roswell/RCA.

The album, produced by Butch Vig and mixed by Alan Moulder, was recorded entirely on analog tape in the garage of Dave Grohl’s home in California’s San Fernando Valley. The no computers/no software/flesh blood and tape only approach has resulted in arguably the strongest and most cohesive effort of the band’s 15-year-plus career: From the soaring melodies of first single “Walk” to the beautifully bipolar “These Days” to the stunning duet with Bob Mould on “Dear Rosemary,” the record is a singular triumph: a band that’s headlined arenas, stadiums and festivals the world over stripping itself down to the bare essentials–a bunch of friends recording an album to tape in a garage—and coming up with its finest hour.

The new record also marks the Foo Fighters’ first full length effort with legendary producer Butch Vig, who produced new tracks “Wheels” and “Word Forward” on 2009’s Greatest Hits and with whom Dave Grohl (of course) first worked on Nirvana’s classic Nevermind. Nirvana co-founder Krist Novoselic also makes a cameo, contributing bass and accordion to “I Should Have Known,” while former Nirvana touring guitarist and longtime extended FF family member Pat Smear now joins the permanent FF core of Grohl, Taylor Hawkins, Nate Mendel and Chris Shiflett.

Concurrent with the album’s release, Exclusive Media Group’s documentary division Spitfire Pictures will be producing a feature documentary about the Foo Fighters to be directed by Academy Award winner James Moll (The Last Days, Running The Sahara). Co-produced and co-financed by Exclusive Media Group and RCA Records, Moll’s documentary will chronicle the entire history of the Foo Fighters, from the cassette demos Grohl recorded during his tenure as Nirvana’s drummer through their ascent to their Grammy-winning, multi-platinum, arena and stadium headlining status as one of the biggest rock bands on the planet. This chronicling of the Foo Fighters’ triumphs and tragedies will culminate in an in-depth behind the scenes perspective on the making of the new album: A process in which the band pushed itself forward by going back to basics and recording in Grohl’s garage completely on analog tape.

The new Foo Fighters record will of course be supported by an extensive world tour, of which the first dates to be announced, the band’s own July 2 & 3 Milton Keynes Bowl headline stint, blew out all 130,000 tickets within hours of on-sale. Additionally, the Foos are confirmed to headline across the worldwide summer festival circuit, including Washington state’s Sasquatch!, the UK’s Isle of White, Pink Pop in the Netherlands, Germany’s Southside and Hurricane, Oxegen in Ireland, T in the Park in Scotland, Optimus Alive in Portgual, and more to be announced as they are confirmed.

UPDATED -

Less than 24 hours later the following statement was issued:

FOO FIGHTERS NEW ALBUM TEASER SOARS PAST 300,000 PLAYS IN 48 HOURS

FIRST SINGLE AND RELEASE DATE STILL TBD

The first taste of the new Foo Fighters album at http://tease.foofighters.com/ has rocketed past 300,000 plays in barely two days since its launch.

The preview features a snippet of “Bridge Burning,” the opening track of the band’s seventh full length studio album, due out this spring on Roswell/RCA.

The first single from the album will not be “Walk” as previously and erroneously reported. The single will be announced as soon as it is confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I listened to Zonoscope for the first time last night and it is indeed very good. It's not nearly as good as the first album, but that's okay. It's very different, but I totally like it.
    I've been enjoying this one too.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I've only listened to a few 2011 albums at this point, but this is my favorite song I've heard so far this year:

The guitar breakdown in the middle is fucking great.
    Good song. Thanks for posting. I haven't given them enough attention, but I'm going to check them out now.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I'd rather see my own gruesome rape and subsequent beheading than see Rammstein.

after such good reviews I'll definitely be checking their albums out, in fact, downloading at the moment

I really enjoyed Kaputt while listening today, specifically the dreamy horns that percolate throughout the album.

Also, the Rioux album that I posted a vid from a couple of pages back is still growing on me. There's a part in the song "Lost Hold" where it downshifts from this jangly, whooping psychedelia to a loping guitar line that dribbles along for the rest of the song, and even though I know it's coming now I still love the transition in mood

Fairfax is now officially ignored and reported.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Hell yeah. Way to take action, Josh.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

This guy is obviously and troll and, to top it off, he is really good at it. He makes useless threads about stupid shit in an obvious attempt to troll, most are just ignored and just end up cluttering up the board, but some are stunning successes in trolling. Furthermore, in this thread, many people have told him time and time again this is a thread for personal thoughts on albums, NOT a press release thread. I am usually pretty forgiving on this front, because most people learn. He is either completely retarded (like, actual mental handicap, not "retarded"), or is a troll of the worst kind.

Everyone, report Fairfax and get this scum sucker off the boards.
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by rage patton View Post
    He is either completely retarded (like, actual mental handicap, not "retarded"), or is a troll of the worst kind.
    Definitely the latter.

And how do your report someone? I've never done it before.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Click in one of his posts.

EDIT: BS said it better.

(although, unless the prick tries to scalp tix or pick a fight w/Dani directly, there's likely not much grounds to ban him. just put him on ignore and he can be virtually banned...a la BD).

But if a whole ton of people report him for trolling, she may ban him. Isn't that how Caligula got banned?

Yeah, they can ban whoever they want.

No, I think I remember hearing Caligula got banned for posting a .gif of someone giving head or something.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

So back on topic, Yuck is this year's Surfer Blood for sure. Not that they sound similar, but in the sense that they both wear their 90s influences on their sleeves to substantial effect. "Suck" sounds like it even could have been a Malkmus-penned song that was given to the band as some kind of gift, haha. I really like it though.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

This Gang of Four album is pretty boring. Is their older stuff really worthy of all that post-punk pantheon talk? I can't imagine the rest of their albums all sounding this uninteresting.

Yes. Entertainment! is classic.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    This Gang of Four album is pretty boring. Is their older stuff really worthy of all that post-punk pantheon talk? I can't imagine the rest of their albums all sounding this uninteresting.
    as far as my opinion goes, Entertainment, Solid Gold, and Songs for the Free are all you (want/need) from Gang of Four. Entertainment is fantastic. This new album sounds just like you'd expect: a cadre of almost 60-year-olds rehashing their glory days with an almost numbing and bland sense of their old selves.

edit: in other words, youth is audible, sadly.

^ that.

sigh....the sad truth. i just hope their upcoming performance at the Fillmore transcends the old is audible & visual aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Yes. Entertainment! is classic.
    Yes. If you haven't heard Entertainment! (which has been rereleased with the Yellow EP, also worth hearing), then you need to remedy that immediately. Thirty years later and it still sounds immediate and relevant.

And yeah, Content is sad, but actually (I think) a bit better than their truly abysmal early 90's stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

The new Hercules & Love Affair is my fucking JAM.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    The new Hercules & Love Affair is my fucking JAM.
    Damn right. Listened last night before I was headed to bed, probably my favorite I've heard this year. Their new vocalist is fantastic. Makes me want to make disco

Coachella Junkie

This EP was good:

Less than a year later, this debut LP is generic crap:

Are you people just streaming the new Hercules? If not, PLEASE GROUP!
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

The EP wasn't even that good.