Page 4 of 90 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us About 2011 Albums

Default Re: Tell Us About 2011 Albums

I love that James Blake is getting so much love. Maybe we'll be blessed with a Coach appearance for our good faith

The new Deerhunter is pretty great. I haven't really dug anything they've done since Reveille, but I have found the newest record to be extra nice. Even if it sounds nothing like Reveille.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

sure there is a lot of hate for the foo fighters here, but this little snippet released has me very excited:

http://yfrog.com/5xabgz

Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    I love that James Blake is getting so much love. Maybe we'll be blessed with a Coach appearance for our good faith

The new Deerhunter is pretty great. I haven't really dug anything they've done since Reveille, but I have found the newest record to be extra nice. Even if it sounds nothing like Reveille.
    Deerhoof. And it really is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    sure there is a lot of hate for the foo fighters here, but this little snippet released has me very excited:

http://yfrog.com/5xabgz
    I liked that song better the first time when it was the first track on QOTSA's Songs for the Deaf.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yeah, what the fuck? He's ripping off a song that he played drums on.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

I've listen to the new deefhoof vs evil a couple times and I like it so much that im going to check their older stuff especially milk man album.

Is it me or does the singer for deefhoof remind you of the singer for shonen knife?
    Last edited by getbetter; 01-03-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Deerhoof rules. go see them on this tour!

also check out Friend Opportunity, The Runners Four and Reveille. although, i think all their stuff is good (but still unsure of the new one...very different sound they went for, including fucking spanish guitar?!)

I was really put off by Braids Native Speaker. It's like she's taken the best of Joanna, Fever Ray, and Animal Collective and made something disgustingly awful with them.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

The new Smith Westerns is quite good, but not as good as their first album. The better recording quality is really nice, but the tunes are not as strong. Still, if you liked the first album, you will be into this.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutral Milk Hotel View Post
    I'm two songs into the new Akron/Family album and so far it sounds like Animal Collective in space. Maybe it's the 4:41 AM Christmas Eve element talking, but I love this. It's crazy and blissful and droney and psychy and I know it's gonna sound AMAZING when they do these songs live on their tour.

EDIT: Just finished the album, and it totally sticks the landing, for me at least. I have a feeling mileage will vary on this but for me it was a crazy mind-expanding psychelic journey, the kind of album drugs were made for.

You have definitely succeeded in getting me pumped for this. However, check this out: http://solidlittlerockjams.blogspot....ily-thing.html

It's possible they're just fucking with us and the leak is a noise deconstruction of the actual album. Take it for what it's worth. It's a good read regardless.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    There is an album coming out next year....Spring sometime....its called Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2 by some band called Beastie Boys

its going to be great.
    "Make Some Noise" has a sick beat. That's all I've heard of it, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by GeezrRckr View Post
    (but still unsure of the new one...very different sound they went for, including fucking spanish guitar?!)

I'm going to have to download this tonight.

I Was a King - Old Friends is pretty enjoyable. It clocks in at just under 30 minutes and the titular song evokes a ton of nostalgia. Ya'll should check it out.

4/20: Godflesh, Cut Hands @ DNA Lounge
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom
    6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I was really put off by Braids Native Speaker. It's like she's taken the best of Joanna, Fever Ray, and Animal Collective and made something disgustingly awful with them.
    This is exactly what I thought when I heard a few of their tracks. I tried to like it, but then it just started to piss me off. Maybe I'll give it one more spin.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by zenidogx View Post
    Putting my unabashed fandom aside, the new Decemberists album is awful.
    this is the most accurate review of this dog with fleas so far. fucking Melloy...will you finish up with your mid-life crisis already and get back to the rock. seriously, i really do like his voice, but....if only the rest of the album sounded like "This Is Why We Fight." that's a really good song.

i'm so glad i listened to this before buying a ticket to their show here. pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Advisor
    In late February, the Cologne label Magazine will release an album by Drums Off Chaos, a group headed by former Can drummer Jaki Liebezeit.

Thanks to a handful of classic albums released throughout the '70s, Can was one of the most essential bands in German psychedelic rock, commonly known as kraut rock, or kosmische. The band broke up in 1979, and all of the members got involved in new projects, with Liebezeit forming the percussion ensemble Drums Off Chaos with three other musicians from Cologne. Liebezeit's hypnotic and often tribal style of drumming was a cornerstone of Can's signature sound, especially on classic tunes like "Halleluwah" and "Future Days," and Drums Off Chaos gave him a platform to continue his experiments with rhythm. The band used mostly custom-made drums, and chose to focus on live performance rather than records. Aside from some compilation appearances and a rare mail-order CD from 1985, their upcoming album marks the first time their music has been recorded.

The self-titled LP features all four of the band's core members, plus Jens-Uwe Beyer, a regular of Kompakt's Pop Ambient series who sometime goes by the pseudonym Popnoname. Though he comes from a different generation, Beyer is in some ways a perfect fit for Drums Off Chaos; like most of the group's core members, he hails from Cologne, and recently co-founded the heavily kosmiche-inspired ensemble Cologne Tape. His presence lends the album a modern electronic sound to complement the otherwise all-percussive compositions.

Drums Off Chaos's self-titled debut will be the first full-length on Magazine, which launched last spring and has put out two 12-inches since. The album will be available digitally as well as on vinyl and CD.

Tracklist
    01. First Half
    02. 4 Of 7
    03. Second Half
    04. Even S

Magazine will release Magazine 3 on February 28th, 2011.
    Sounds promising.

I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like the new Smith Westerns. If anybody has the new Cloud Nothings, hook me up?
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

Quote Originally Posted by PassiveTheory View Post
    I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally like the new Smith Westerns. If anybody has the new Cloud Nothings, hook me up?
    Is it better than their self-titled album?
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

No, it isn't. The Smith Westerns, that is. It sounds better in terms of recording quality, but in my opinion the songs aren't as strong. It is still really good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

First Listen Live: Iron & Wine Debuts "Kiss Each Other Clean"
    Iron & Wine is the stage name of singer-songwriter Samuel Beam, a former film professor who has released mesmerizing indie-folk albums and EPs to critical acclaim since 2002. Tonight, Beam joins us with a full band in The Greene Space to perform Iron & Wine's upcoming album, "Kiss Each Other Clean," in its entirety for NPR Music's First Listen series. It will be the first time fans can hear the album before its release on January 25.
    check out the video here

the new Deerhoof (Deerhoof vs Evil) is really growing on me. it's certainly more staid then their previous recordings. but, the more mellow jams demonstrate an interesting level of growth that, for me, doesn't take away from the weird, spasticness that i love so much about Deerhoof. Satomi's singing is much more melodic this time around, which makes me wonder if they'll gain a wider audience now (since her singing style/voice always seems to be the thing that people so frequently hate on about Deerhoof). And, her bass playing just keeps on getting better (keep in mind that she joined the band a week after coming over from Tokyo in '95...with ZERO musical experience whatsoever).

and, in this day and age of albums being brickwalled to high heaven, i have to give Greg (Saunier - drums) massive props for his fine job of mixing and mastering the album. finally, it's nice to see that moving to Polyvinyl hasn't forced them to give up their DIY ways as revealed in the the liner notes, which read "All songs played and recorded by Deerhoof in Deerhoof's practice room and Ed's basement."

this one's worth a listen.

I didn't know that about Satomi's joining the band. That's wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Loving the Yuck album. I've been a fan since the first time I saw them live and the debut has lived up to my high expectations. Their influences are pretty obvious (Lush, Pixies, Dinosaur Jr and Teenage Fanclub) but they just write such great tunes.

Another one that has caught my ear is the debut from Anna Calvi. Sounds like PJ Harvey scoring a Tarantino movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Just listened to the Decemberists' new one, and didn't have anywhere near the negative reaction that some of y'all have had to it. Yes, it's another head scratcher that makes you wonder exactly what Colin is trying to do to the band's future. But I've never been super into them in the first place, nor have I ever taken them too seriously, so my expectations probably weren't as high as some going into this record.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

This Esben & The Witch full length, Violet Cries, is pretty great. Makes a good companion to Zola jesus.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

I am on track 8 of the new Decemberists and i think it's great! i don't understand what there is to hate about this, it's really pretty.
    last.fm

yep...really pretty shitty.

at least you've gotten through it enough to hear "Fight"....the only keeper.

Is it because it's really country-influenced? i honestly have no idea why you think it's shitty.
    last.fm

it's because i am tired of Colin Meloy's adventures in mediocrity....get over it already, dude.

but, yes, the twang of this LP does not appeal to me, personally. like i said..."Fight" is a wonderful track, though.