Page 130 of 141 FirstFirst ... 125126127128129130131132133134135 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,900 of 4218

Thread: DEMF 2013

Default Re: DEMF 2013

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    #1 Maetrik - Dude played such a fantastic headliner techno set in a monsoon. I like Maetrik WAY more than Maceo Plex. He played a 10 minute version of my favorite techno song of the year that I still haven't been able to ID. If I could pick one moment of glory I guess it would be that.
    Maybe you can ID it now? He just posted his Movement set.
    http://soundcloud.com/maceoplex/maet...aceoplex-djset

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    I was shocked to only hear "Jack" from Breach 1 time last weekend. Unless I just missed the other 50 DJs that played that song?
    I heard it 4 times, but only once was it the original version. The other 3 times it was the massive new Eats Everything Re-edit/Rebeef/Mashup thing. To hear what I'm talking about there's a rip of Catz N Dogz playing it in their new essential mix here:

But J.Phlip played like an even crazier extended version of it that went like Jack-Je-Je-Jack-Je-Jack-Jack-Je-Jack that was really really sweet. Definitely got the biggest crowd reaction of her whole set.
    Last edited by bender; 06-05-2013 at 12:06 PM.

I was wondering if that was her edit of that track. I definitely heard Jack at least 4 times over the weekend.

6/27: Fuck Buttons @ The Independent
    6/28: Robyn & Royksopp @ Bill Graham
    7/3: Sigha, Marcel Fengler @ Monarch
    7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/16: James Zabiela @ Mighty
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Already had it id'd from the dave clarke setlist.

Dj hyperactive - wide open (len faki edit)

I first heard it on new years day when nic fanciulli droped it. The entire stage gravitated towards his laptop to get the ID. Since then ive heard a ton of people play it, and at demf i heard it at least 5 times in various edited/remixed versions. Gotta say, maetrik droped it harder than anyone.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Dj hyperactive - wide open (len faki edit)
    Oh yeah, that one. Definitely one of the best techno tracks of yesteryear. Len Faki is the man. If you ever get a chance to see him, do it.

So bender, did you go to the Seth Troxler Monday night closing party?

I went to the party at city club on sunday night and the venue was easily the best in detroit. A huge upstairs stage, lots o chill out area and an giant underground cavern 3 stories down as the second stage that could hold hundreds of people. If there are parties at this place next year i highly recommend the venue.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

A few of my favorite moments have ended up on YouTube:

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

So bender, did you go to the Seth Troxler Monday night closing party?
    Yeah. It was pretty fun. I didn't stay for too long though. My friends and I decided to go to the Hot Creations party at about 1:30. That one was much better I thought. Very cool loft space at the top of a building downtown with windows all around. It was also probably the only afterparty I went to all weekend that had lots of girls in attendance. My other friends all said the Klockworks one was great too, but, like most of the techno parties, had very very few girls. And it's not like I'm some bro trying to hook up all weekend, I just have a lot more fun dancing when the guy-to-girl ratio is near even.

So the maceo plex live set he posted doesn't contain the dj hyperactive song, and i remember him playing it.... Did he release a dj mix of what he remembered as the set? Pretty sure its familiar in most other ways. I wasn't on drugs on monday, i think my memory is accurate.

So the maceo plex live set he posted doesn't contain the dj hyperactive song, and i remember him playing it.... Did he release a dj mix of what he remembered as the set? Pretty sure its familiar in most other ways. I wasn't on drugs on monday, i think my memory is accurate.
    I was talking to my friend about this... we both distinctly remember him playing that hyperactive track at the fest...

Just booked some rooms at Doubletree for next Memorial Day. Obviously missing a year has made me even more keen. See you guys next year.

Quote Originally Posted by myvelouria94 View Post
    I was talking to my friend about this... we both distinctly remember him playing that hyperactive track at the fest...
    So wtf? The set he released was just a rehash?

Quote Originally Posted by Mordecai View Post
    Just booked some rooms at Doubletree for next Memorial Day. Obviously missing a year has made me even more keen. See you guys next year.
    Awesome! I'm going to book one as soon as i'm back from travels.

Who the hell (and maybe it was more than one) did I hear drop Gotham by Ten Walls? Just listening to that EP sent me back to the D.

Who the hell (and maybe it was more than one) did I hear drop Gotham by Ten Walls? Just listening to that EP sent me back to the D.
    Lots of people played it. Two specific sets I remember hearing it in were Tale of Us at the Life and Death party and Art Department at the actual festival.

Some dude on Facebook was complaining about the mixing of the Soul Clap set at Old Miami. Which, maybe it was terrible, but fuck that, that was the perfect music for that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    Lots of people played it. Two specific sets I remember hearing it in were Tale of Us at the Life and Death party and Art Department at the actual festival.
    Hmm, I didn't see either. Regardless, great track.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Some dude on Facebook was complaining about the mixing of the Soul Clap set at Old Miami. Which, maybe it was terrible, but fuck that, that was the perfect music for that setting.
    Was it Andrew?

Haaaa.

7/9 Yes @ RC
    7/11 Flying Lotus @ HP
    7/10 Gorilla Biscuits/Bouncing Souls @ HOV
    7/12 The Men @ Union Pool
    7/12 Jay Electronica/Raekwon @ 50 K
    7/12 Sigha/DVS1 @ Output
    7/13 Hyte Park @ Gov Island

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Techno Grandma is awesome... she was getting the fuck down for Benoit & Sergio's set last year!

I only saw Techno Grandma once this year. Oh and it's nice to see the Denver Zoo Crew reppin' in that photo shoot.

Mr. G's new EP is inspired by the time he spent at Old Miami this year. Fuck yeah. http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=21234

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

You pointed her out to me at one point. I saw her like 3 times after that
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Mr. G's new EP is inspired by the time he spent at Old Miami this year. Fuck yeah. http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=21234
    I'm confused, because nothing in that EP information screams 'ketamine' to me.

I still hate that Mr. G was in town that weekend and I completely missed him.

http://movement.us/letter-to-movemen...nd-supporters/

A letter to our most revered and treasured asset–Movement Detroit fans
    and supporters–regarding ticketing:

In 2006, our small workgroup was humbled and honored by being granted the opportunity to produce the annual electronic music festival that takes place in our city each Memorial Day weekend. This event has been known under a few different names, but has always possessed the same unifying spirit – a celebration of the music and culture we all love, held in the heart of the city that gave the world Techno – Detroit.

As an organization, we were excited to take on this new chapter in our lives. As individuals who have been throwing Electronic Music events in Detroit since 1993, and having been a part of the last 20 years of our local scene’s growth and evolution, we were nervous about carrying the torch that had been passed to us and the scrutiny that would be cast upon the decisions we had to make to stabilize the event (an event that had not been sure-footed almost since its beginnings). The spirit of what the event and this city means to us and so many others in the world, inspired us to move forward and make the hard decisions that had to be made for the event to survive.

With only eight weeks to plan the festival in 2006, we were able to rally our family, friends, amazing volunteers, city partners, sponsors, artists, agents and many others to present an amazing event on time. Thanks to the same support group and all of you, the amazing fans of this festival, we have been able to put this exhilarating event together for eight years now and running.

We are able to accomplish our goals and set a path into the future by constantly searching for ways to make the event better for you. Every bit of feedback that comes in through our various communications channels is discussed and addressed. We try our best to host world-class talent and execute strong production at the best value. Thanks to your support over the years, we have grown into one of the most well-respected dance music festivals in the world.

While many EDM-based events have followed similar templates of over-the-top production and hosting every single hot artist of the moment, we have tried our best each year to curate and present a well-rounded and global representation of the past, present and future of this beloved music while remaining true to the revered inspiration and location of the event.

There have been so many young, new faces each year as this music starts to be appreciated by next generations, brought in by ever-evolving genres that have sprouted from the core influence of Detroit Techno. We are hopeful that the programming of Movement highlights the richness and history of electronic music and culture, inspiring our attendees to look beneath the surface and appreciate what has laid the groundwork for where the music world is today.

We are proud of and honored by the growth of this incredible event. However, it also means that we are at a critical place in having to invest more in site-wide infrastructure and production – not only to have a top-quality event, but also to accommodate the amount of people coming through the doors, safely and efficiently. There are a million different things that influence the cost of the festival ticket you buy: the best sound systems we can find, performance expenses, labor rates, diesel fuel and transportation costs, insurance costs, police overtime, security, just to name a few. Since 2006, we have put forth every effort to be able to bring so many amazing experiences to you for so much less than the other festivals that have sprouted up. In 2013, our final tier presale price was under $100 for three days, with over 100 world-class acts on five stages, 12 hours a day. That is 1/3 of the price of many newer festivals in other cities that Movement has influenced.

Our entire reason for writing this letter is to inform you, Detroit supporters, that due to the de facto rising costs of producing events of this scope, our presale GA three-day tickets will rise above that $100 mark for the 2014 festival. Most events would simply raise the fee and put tickets on sale. However, we feel that we have an obligation to explain why this milestone is happening this year. Regardless, we will still be two to three times less expensive than most competing festivals out there, and on par with a market value ticket to see one or two large concerts in regular venues.

We can’t thank all of Movement’s supporters enough. Everyone who defends Detroit when people discuss the ticket price, who understand everything we are saying in this letter before we even wrote it, and who probably take advantage of the presale tickets every year – you are the best! We couldn’t do this without you. Thank you so much.

Detroit deserves its place in the global festival community and the music world. Many of us have dedicated our lives to this festival, and it brings us great joy to have you experience it (it also makes us a bit jealous since we have to work during it!). We look forward to seeing you all next May for what is shaping up to be the best Movement Festival yet.

With Highest Regards,

The Paxahau Team
    Last edited by rileyprime; 10-17-2013 at 05:10 AM.

I was wondering if that was her edit of that track. I definitely heard Jack at least 4 times over the weekend.
    btw, it was dj bark lee - the baltimore jack
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkV57yqhO5o

i think im gonna head to demf for the first time next year... instead of coachella.

Hmmm....

DETROIT (WXYZ) - 7 Action News has learned that a big event is returning to downtown Detroit.

Sources tell us that the 'Detroit Electronic Music Festival,' or DEMF, is making a comeback. The festival will be held at Ford Field.

Back in 2000, 'DEMF' was the first electronic music festival in Detroit. It was a free festival, held at Hart Plaza.

The annual festival has changed names and management over the years. 'Movement' is the current name of the event held, which is held every year over Memorial Day weekend.

The creators of the 'Detroit Electronic Music Festival' are announcing the return of their event.

Once again, it'll be held at Ford Field on a different date than 'Movement'. Right now, no word on if it'll be free or not.

In the last decade, electronic music festivals have brought hundreds of thousands of fans to Detroit, along with millions of dollars.

A press conference is being held Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. Stay with 7 Action News for more on this breaking story.
    Read more: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/...#ixzz2lCMU52yh

7/9 Yes @ RC
    7/11 Flying Lotus @ HP
    7/10 Gorilla Biscuits/Bouncing Souls @ HOV
    7/12 The Men @ Union Pool
    7/12 Jay Electronica/Raekwon @ 50 K
    7/12 Sigha/DVS1 @ Output
    7/13 Hyte Park @ Gov Island

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Ford Field sounds like a terrible venue for this.

This is NOT the same event as Movement.

For people not familiar with this event's history in Detroit, this new event being announced today is organized by the same people that started the original DEMF back in 2000 and who inevitably ran it into the ground before Paxahau began running it in 2006.