Page 135 of 141 FirstFirst ... 130131132133134135136137138139140 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,050 of 4212

Thread: DEMF 2013

Default Re: DEMF 2013

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    ^ it's being thrown by a sf promoter I know. Tickets available at the door. $10 before 11, 20 after
    Tickets are available now Got early bird tickets!
    http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?594639

7/29 Conor Oberst @ Summerstage
    8/2 Daniele Baldelli/Simian Mobile Disco @ PS1
    8/2 Magda @ Output
    8/3 Seth Troxler/the Martinez Brothers @ Gov Island
    8/3 Seth Troxler @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

I'd like to see some Craig Richards, but I've seen most of the others I really want to see on there. Got my tickets for DJ Harvey on Friday and Anthology on Monday. So indecisive on Saturday and Sunday. I know no matter what, I'll buy a ticket for at least one party I don't go to. I'm still pretty determined to at least make an appearance at No Way Back and don't see anything that's desperately tearing me away from that yet. CLR on Saturday has Radio Slave, Dettmann, and Function live, which makes up for the fact that I don't really give a fuck about Leibing that much. Maybe if there's no Old Miami, it'll be possible to do a party every night without dying.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Spooks, how long will your flight from New Jersey to Detroit be?
    Will I be seeing a certain champion belt in the D this year?

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Nope. Taking a year off.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

No MJA, no Cara, but plenty of Spooks. WORST DEMF EVER. Thank god Hiedi didn't decide to skip it too.

Spooks will be playing the role of Jonah from Veep at DEMF.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

If board trends hold, we'll probably be best friends by Monday night. I mean, good lord, fucking grannock is tolerable and pleasant to be around in person.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    No MJA, no Cara, but plenty of Spooks. WORST DEMF EVER. Thank god Hiedi didn't decide to skip it too.
    Seems like almost no one from 2011 will be there this time. You and Heidi have to hold it down for us.
    Royksopp/Robyn 6/29 Hollywood Bowl
    The Antlers 7/12 Troubadour
    Paul McCartney 8/10 Dodger Stadium
    John Legend does What's Going On 8/20 Hollywood Bowl
    Elvis Costello 9/5 Hollywood Bowl

We've got Scarfbro too, although he'll probably be stuck doing promotrly things.

First time heading to Movement. Loving this OK Cool after party. Do these things really go until 10AM the next day? Sounds like it would completely ruin the next day's festival unless I just didn't sleep at all.

Hahaha. No matter what happens, you will miss about 90% of the great music happening in Detroit that weekend. The upside is that 98% of what you see will be incredible.

Also, it's usually possible to hit a party at night, sleep for a couple of hours, and then hit up the same party in the morning if you still have your wristband.

Haha, thanks.

Anything else I should know being a 1st timer?

Let's see. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Really easy to over do it early and get burned out quick, but it's worth it to pace yourself a bit. Monday usually ends up having some of my all time favorite sets and it's really hard to drag yourself down to Hart Plaza that day.

Buy as many after party tickets now while they're still cheap. You'll probably spend the same amount of money, but you'll have options. You can even party jump a little.

If you have time, make sure to check out Detroit a little if you haven't before. Lots of cool stuff there and some great food joints.

Make sure not to ignore the local scene. If you find yourself with a gap in your schedule at the fest, go to the Made In Detroit stage. If you have a night you want to go out but nothing major is grabbing your attention, check out a party filled with Detroit DJs. There's some good ones with Mike Huckaby, Marcellus Pittman, etc up already.

Getting into the fest is pretty easy but don't show up around dusk because that's when it gets a little clusterfucky at the gates.

VIP is totally worth it. Dry comfortable places to sit and much better bathrooms. The bathroom situation gets a little dire at night, especially when you're on drugs and something amazing is happening and you're stuck behind a ton of other drugged out weirdos.

Getting around is super easy, so don't worry too much if some conflict is killing you. Most people get 2 hours, unless it's a live set, so splitting sets is easy. Never takes more than 5 minutes to get between stages.

Make your cabbie run the meter or offer them as much as you're willing to pay up front.

Hah. My first year, I think I did 44 hours straight before I just walked out of the festival on Monday and didn't come back that day. It's definitely not recommended. Probably best to plan to give yourself a night off from after parties.

Let's see. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Really easy to over do it early and get burned out quick, but it's worth it to pace yourself a bit. Monday usually ends up having some of my all time favorite sets and it's really hard to drag yourself down to Hart Plaza that day.

Buy as many after party tickets now while they're still cheap. You'll probably spend the same amount of money, but you'll have options. You can even party jump a little.

If you have time, make sure to check out Detroit a little if you haven't before. Lots of cool stuff there and some great food joints.

Make sure not to ignore the local scene. If you find yourself with a gap in your schedule at the fest, go to the Made In Detroit stage. If you have a night you want to go out but nothing major is grabbing your attention, check out a party filled with Detroit DJs. There's some good ones with Mike Huckaby, Marcellus Pittman, etc up already.

Getting into the fest is pretty easy but don't show up around dusk because that's when it gets a little clusterfucky at the gates.

VIP is totally worth it. Dry comfortable places to sit and much better bathrooms. The bathroom situation gets a little dire at night, especially when you're on drugs and something amazing is happening and you're stuck behind a ton of other drugged out weirdos.

Getting around is super easy, so don't worry too much if some conflict is killing you. Most people get 2 hours, unless it's a live set, so splitting sets is easy. Never takes more than 5 minutes to get between stages.

Make your cabbie run the meter or offer them as much as you're willing to pay up front.
    Wow thanks!

It will be my first time to Detroit also. Assuming I'll probably just need to Uber it from the airport (Staying at Corktown Inn, ghetto but cheap). Flying in Saturday morning and flying out 7:00AM Tues morning, not even paying for a hotel Monday night, just figured I'd hit up an after party on Mon night and leave around 4AM and head straight to the airport and crash on the flight back to Nashville.

I'll be photographing the festival so I'm hoping some of the after parties will let me bring in my camera with my press credentials, may try contacting the venues ahead of time. I really can't even wrap my head around a late night party that goes till 10AM. What time does Detroit stop serving alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Hah. My first year, I think I did 44 hours straight before I just walked out of the festival on Monday and didn't come back that day. It's definitely not recommended. Probably best to plan to give yourself a night off from after parties.
    Just thinking about doing 44hrs straight makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe in my younger years, but if I don't get a good 8hrs of sleep now I'm one pathetic grumpy grouch and completely worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by NTellier85 View Post
    Wow thanks!

It will be my first time to Detroit also. Assuming I'll probably just need to Uber it from the airport (Staying at Corktown Inn, ghetto but cheap). Flying in Saturday morning and flying out 7:00AM Tues morning, not even paying for a hotel Monday night, just figured I'd hit up an after party on Mon night and leave around 4AM and head straight to the airport and crash on the flight back to Nashville.

I'll be photographing the festival so I'm hoping some of the after parties will let me bring in my camera with my press credentials, may try contacting the venues ahead of time. I really can't even wrap my head around a late night party that goes till 10AM. What time does Detroit stop serving alcohol?
    Make sure to bring lots of quarters for the vending machines at the Corktown!

Yeah, it's a little crazy. It definitely sucks to get to a party at midnight and realize everyone you want to see is on at 5am. There's people who don't even go to the fest, they just hit up parties since they're pretty much happening 24/7. Usually, each year there's a party that starts Sunday morning and ends Monday night. And yeah, that's a good plan for Monday night so long as luggage isn't a problem. I sure as fuck didn't sleep before catching my bus. I'm leaving early afternoon on Tuesday this year, so thankfully I can get a power nap in and hopefully not get woken up by people complaining about my snoring on the Greyhound. Dicks. Anthology at the Works is going to all night and will be an incredible party.

And please don't just photograph girls with big tits and people in costumes at the fest. It's the most diverse crowd I've come across, but almost all media coverage seems to fall into those two categories.

And please don't just photograph girls with big tits and people in costumes at the fest. It's the most diverse crowd I've come across, but almost all media coverage seems to fall into those two categories.
    Haha, I can't make any promises I won't snap a shot or two, but I'm definitely more focused on the artists and the art/scene.

And I had planned on just leaving my luggage at the hotel front desk and swinging by and grabbing it on the way to the airport Tues morning.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

As someone who has been to 11 DEMFs, believe me, take photos of only big tits.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Hahaha, the 44-hour straight year was the year we stayed at the Corktown Inn. I'm not sure that the Corktown is the type of hotel where they hold your luggage at the front desk. (The "front desk" is a bullet proof booth). Don't let that fact concern you too much though. It's not dangerous, they just attract an interesting clientele....

I'm stating my intention to do No Way Back and only No Way Back on Sunday night. Not buying anything else. It's been five fucking years, and I haven't been to that party or 1515 Broadway, which is a techno history essential. Besides, listen to their description of the final set of the night:

Scott Zacharias is musically ambidextrous, the co-founder of both Detroit's Macho City and Disco/Secret with Mike Trombley, and the original resident of Oslo. He started in thrash bands as a teenager then moved on to space rock project Monaural before his interests in Jazz ultimately led him to the traditions of Detroit's deep house DJs, and then beyond into a truly expansive almost psychedelic take on Disco and all its weird friends. He has blossomed into Detroit's best kept secret, a true student of freeform dance music. For this year's No Way Back At All at 7:30AM Scott will perform a Sleaze set, a special kind of lowtempo disco championed in leather bars in the late 70s, usually played in a euphoric post coitus way, deeply lost in the groove.

So what you're saying is that instead of Old Miami, I should be at No Way Back at 7:30AM

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I miss old Miami and Slows To Go
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Probably hitting this up! Very happy to see Marcel Dettmann is coming from Mysteryland Maybe Pan-Pot & Josh Wink can do the same thing...

5/24 Chris Liebing, Marcel Dettmann, Radio Slave, Function (live) at Blue
    On sale now. Anyone been to "Deep Detroit" @ 1515 Broadway in the past? Thinking of checking this out...

TALENT: Kai Alcé, Mike Huckaby, Jay Daniel
    VENUE: 1515 Broadway
    ADDRESS: 1515 Broadway; Detroit, MI 48226
    TIME: 8 p.m. until 5 a.m.
    PRESENTED BY: NDATL Muzik
    TICKETS: $20

8/2 Magda @ Output

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Do it. Mike Huckaby always throws down. Get your fill of locals in their natural environment while you're there.

Do it. Mike Huckaby always throws down. Get your fill of locals in their natural environment while you're there.
    True. I don't want to be going to the same venue twice over the weekend so after hitting up Blue for DJ Harvey, I need something different! Definitely checking out TV Lounge on Sunday before hitting up Need I Say More Then probably finish up the weekend with the free for VIP wristband holders closing party or Anthology....

ps After seeing DVS1 play a ridiculous 4 hour set on Saturday, I want to see him at Electric Deluxe with Lucy and Speedy J

8/2 Magda @ Output

Lurker

I gave up on afterparties last year due to overwhelming lineups over 12 to 15 hours. Nowadays the festival has a lot of the artists that were at those jammed afterparties anyway. (I.e.- electric deluxe party this year. Most or all of the artist have a festival time slot. So il have some sleep and save some money and see them at the festival.)This year though I'm thinking No Way Back and Need I Say More for Sunday/ Monday just because these are two great parties regardless of lineup.

But the good news is I have three full days off of work and I have my wife and babysitters on board to take care of the kids. It's been a long time since the stars aligned for me to go to the festival all weekend! ��

Another one coming from Mysteryland! Come on Pan-Pot, I hope you're next....

Rbma presents Soul Clap's House of Efunk at TV Lounge
    5/24
    Line-up /
    Soul Clap with special guest George Clinton
    Heidi
    Justin Martin
    DJ Three vs Doc Martin
    Stacey Pullen
    Andres
    Scott Grooves
    PillowTalk (DJ set)
    Tanner Ross
    Nick Monaco (live)
    Till von Sein
    FSQ
    Dan Bain
    SA'D "The Hour Child" Ali

Soul Clap's House of EFUNK:

Presenting for the very first time in all its nasty glory, a collaboration with RBMA and Paxahau that’s gunna make you move (SUCKA!) its SOUL CLAP'S HOUSE OF EFUNK!

Saturday, May 24th @ TV Lounge its going down. We are fully locked and loaded for a TWELVE hour extravaganza beginning Saturday at midnight and rolling hard until noon on Sunday (hallelujah)! Three areas of sound will be open and guaranteed to tease and please with a stacked line up representing the sounds of FUNK, DETROIT dance music, CREW LOVE, real DEEP House, retro Techno and beyond!

Curated specially by Soul Clap to offer a musical program based on an understanding of the FUNK! That's why we're tickled pink to announce an appearance by Dr Funkenstein himself, GEORGE CLINTON (Parliament-Funkadelic) who will be performing new material written and produced in collaboration with Soul Clap for George's new album due out this spring titled "Shake The Gate". Meanwhile, representing the "D" we've invited Mahogany Music's DEZ ANDRES, the legendary SCOTT GROOVES, Techno pioneer STACEY PULLEN and local work horse DAN BAIN. Further boosting our funky lineup we’re overjoyed to present special tag team set from AMERICAN dance music don-dada's DOC MARTIN & DJ THREE, and keeping it North American it’s Dirtybird JUSTIN MARTIN and booty-moving queen HEIDI.

We couldn’t present a night of music without some CREW LOVE and holding it down in our outdoor area we’ll be playing an extended morning SOUL CLAP set with support from our crew, TANNER ROSS and NICK MONACO with the Detroit debut of his new LIVE set. Plus P-Funk/Crew Love family members FSQ and SA’D “THE HOURCHILD” ALI.

It may feel like to much to take in, but just remember if you FREE YOUR MIND, YOUR ASS WILL FOLLOW!!

8/2 Magda @ Output

I'm sure that one would be fun but TV Lounge is a madhouse on Saturday night of the fest. I'm assuming that will go well into the morning too.