Page 129 of 141 FirstFirst ... 124125126127128129130131132133134 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,870 of 4209

Thread: DEMF 2013

Default Re: DEMF 2013

I remember when Coachella used to book some of these DJs.

So are you saying Coachella needs to go back and book a bunch of DJ's that they have booked before or are you saying that Coachella was booking great DJ's before anyone else was?
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    So are you saying Coachella needs to go back and book a bunch of DJ's that they have booked before or are you saying that Coachella was booking great DJ's before anyone else was?
    Why not both? Repeats aren't a bad thing after so many years and so much music being made inbetween
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by shotglass75 View Post
    Pretty sure he's saying, "I remember when Coachella used to book some of those DJs." You're the one grasping for some ulterior meaning.

8/16: Anthony Naples, Maxmillion Dunbar @ f8
    8/18: Man Man @ The Chapel
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

What was the venue problem? There were more dubstep kids there this year, but what do you expect? Edm has exploded in popularity and the ticket price is so low. Old ravers are old, and the young kids are starting to figure out what is good.

The line to get in on saturday was the only time i noticed overcrowding, and we just swung around to the back entrance where there was no line.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

Quote Originally Posted by flea73 View Post
    Shit Brian, I feel like I barely saw you all weekend. Will you PLEASE come back to the Trouble Tree next year?!?!? I was planning on skipping next year to travel through Europe, but I've already decided I'm going to figure out a way to both things happen.
    Next year we should all just rent out a hipster flat in the eastern market for like 2g's and fit 20-30 of us in there. Ill book a room at the troubletree this weekend just in case though
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

I for one was happy to see dubstep kids getting down and dirty in the Underground stage.

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    Next year we should all just rent out a hipster flat in the eastern market for like 2g's and fit 20-30 of us in there.
    I'm in +3
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

#1 Maetrik - Dude played such a fantastic headliner techno set in a monsoon. I like Maetrik WAY more than Maceo Plex. He played a 10 minute version of my favorite techno song of the year that I still haven't been able to ID. If I could pick one moment of glory I guess it would be that.
    It was nice reading this, I really want to see Maetrik.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    I'm in +3
    If I'm not a part of the +3, count me in too.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    Damn thanks for this. This set was so much fun.

If tough to make a real decision as to what my real favourites of the weekend were but in general I pretty much had more fun at any set at either the Beatport stage or the Made In Detroit stage than any other stage. The other stages all kind of sucked in comparison actually. When it came to dancing, groovin, and being fun in general, the crowds at the other stages never came close. Plus the Beatport stage owned sound-wise. Damn that was a powerful soundsystem.
    I seem to agree with this, but admittedly I missed out on a lot going at the other stages. These seemed to be the 2 stages I gravitated to the most over the weekend.

So this was an interesting fest experience for me. I decided to go to this, because I'm not working right now, so I had the time to make it work. I really didn't know many of the artists playing, because I'm kinda an EDM novice. But everyone who I've talked to that has gone has loved it, so I decided to give it a try. Oh... that and the fact that Mr Creep allowed me in on his road-trip/hotel probably sealed the deal too. Thanks again, Jeff.

So since I'm kinda a novice when it comes to these types of music, I was able for better or worse take the music I was seeing/hearing at face value. I really didn't have any pre-conceived ideas on anyone beside probably Moby, Richie and John Digweed going into this. When I'd spend time with Cara, Heidi, and Patrick, I'd listen to them and tag along with them to sets. If I liked it, I stayed. If not, I walked off and tried something else.

First off- I loved Hart Plaza. It was a great venue. To me it didn't seem clusterfuckish. I mean this fest is in no-way close to any kind of packed like, say Coachella? The venue is spread out enough where that isn't a problem. The only time I noticed it was that was when I tried going down to the Underground stage for Nina Kravitz and it was so packed I just had to go away. That kinda kept me away from there for the rest of the weekend. I probably missed out on some awesome acts for that decision, but there was so much good music going between the Beatport, Made in Detroit and the Red Bull main stage that I didn't feel the need to venture down to the underground stage much.

The highlights for me were Masters at Work on Sunday night, pretty much anyone I saw at the Made in Detroit stage on Saturday, Miguel Campbell, and Geroge Fitzgerald and Ellen Allien back-to-back on Monday were a lot of fun too. The Old Miami and Klockworks parties on Monday were both a lot of fun too.

I was an idiot on Monday in that I wore the worst shoes for all the rain we got. So my feet froze off and I was pretty much done with the fest by 6PM.

Overall, had a fun time, hung out with a lot of awesome people throughout the weekend. Thanks for putting up with me, giving me suggestions, and especially to Patrick for taking us to the Heidleberg project early Sunday afternoon before the fest. That was really cool and eye-opening. I'm pretty sure I'm in for next year
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

You say "putting up with me" far too often. If anything, you put up with us..

lol I was a great back-seat driver. "GET BACK ON THE FREEWAY! WE'RE NOT GOING THROUGH STOP-LIGHTS FOR THE NEXT 20 MILES!"
    "dude, wrong turn! Google Maps never lies!"
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

Right? I felt bad that I was trashed all the time and didn't really get to hang out with you guys much (at least in the sense of being able to have coherent conversations).

Really glad to hear you enjoyed it... each year it seems like a lot more friends decide to make the trip, which just makes it all the more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by chiapet View Post
    Right? I felt bad that I was trashed all the time and didn't really get to hang out with you guys much (at least in the sense of being able to have coherent conversations).

Really glad to hear you enjoyed it... each year it seems like a lot more friends decide to make the trip, which just makes it all the more enjoyable.
    I was a little on the trashed side 98% of the time too. All is good. Any length in mingling is still mingling. It was nice meeting you, Zach, Pat, Barb, MJA, and Sophia.

I was a little on the trashed side 98% of the time too. All is good. Any length in mingling is still mingling. It was nice meeting you, Zach, Pat, Barb, MJA, and Sophia.
    2nd'd... Matt and Andrew as well.
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

Lurker

Anyone else start bopping their knee a little bit when they have a phone to their ear as if your phone is a headphone and you are queing a record ? Or every time you are at a counter you get the feeling like you are DJ behind the decks and start bopping a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Pretty sure he's saying, "I remember when Coachella used to book some of those DJs." You're the one grasping for some ulterior meaning.
    Just wondering what he meant by that. A lot of people on these boards love to hate on Coachella for some reason.

Congratulations to the winner of the guedita and SoulDischarge Official JPhlip Booty Bass contest: Ellen Allien's set.
    I had just enough feeling left in my freezing feet to get down to that.

I was shocked to only hear "Jack" from Breach 1 time last weekend. Unless I just missed the other 50 DJs that played that song?
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.

A bunch of live sets for download (including Soul Clap from Old Miami)

http://www.routetwelv.com/livesets-f...-plazadetroit/

Nice

#1 Maetrik - Dude played such a fantastic headliner techno set in a monsoon. I like Maetrik WAY more than Maceo Plex. He played a 10 minute version of my favorite techno song of the year that I still haven't been able to ID. If I could pick one moment of glory I guess it would be that.
    Maybe you can ID it now? He just posted his Movement set.
    http://soundcloud.com/maceoplex/maet...aceoplex-djset

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    I was shocked to only hear "Jack" from Breach 1 time last weekend. Unless I just missed the other 50 DJs that played that song?
    I heard it 4 times, but only once was it the original version. The other 3 times it was the massive new Eats Everything Re-edit/Rebeef/Mashup thing. To hear what I'm talking about there's a rip of Catz N Dogz playing it in their new essential mix here:

But J.Phlip played like an even crazier extended version of it that went like Jack-Je-Je-Jack-Je-Jack-Jack-Je-Jack that was really really sweet. Definitely got the biggest crowd reaction of her whole set.
    Last edited by bender; 06-05-2013 at 12:06 PM.

I was wondering if that was her edit of that track. I definitely heard Jack at least 4 times over the weekend.

Already had it id'd from the dave clarke setlist.

Dj hyperactive - wide open (len faki edit)

I first heard it on new years day when nic fanciulli droped it. The entire stage gravitated towards his laptop to get the ID. Since then ive heard a ton of people play it, and at demf i heard it at least 5 times in various edited/remixed versions. Gotta say, maetrik droped it harder than anyone.

Dj hyperactive - wide open (len faki edit)
    Oh yeah, that one. Definitely one of the best techno tracks of yesteryear. Len Faki is the man. If you ever get a chance to see him, do it.

So bender, did you go to the Seth Troxler Monday night closing party?

I went to the party at city club on sunday night and the venue was easily the best in detroit. A huge upstairs stage, lots o chill out area and an giant underground cavern 3 stories down as the second stage that could hold hundreds of people. If there are parties at this place next year i highly recommend the venue.

A few of my favorite moments have ended up on YouTube:

Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

So bender, did you go to the Seth Troxler Monday night closing party?
    Yeah. It was pretty fun. I didn't stay for too long though. My friends and I decided to go to the Hot Creations party at about 1:30. That one was much better I thought. Very cool loft space at the top of a building downtown with windows all around. It was also probably the only afterparty I went to all weekend that had lots of girls in attendance. My other friends all said the Klockworks one was great too, but, like most of the techno parties, had very very few girls. And it's not like I'm some bro trying to hook up all weekend, I just have a lot more fun dancing when the guy-to-girl ratio is near even.