Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 49505152535455565758 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1725

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Without a doubt

Fantastic Planet
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Yup. That's the winner.

I don't know if it's still the case, but when Autolux was first touring they still had Failure gear cases. When I didn't know who Failure was, I thought it was kind of an interesting thing to have printed on gear they kept on stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The Bats. Just heard "Countersign" on my favorite radio. I dig. Worth checking out?

FUCK YES. Daddy's Highway is the place to start. It's their first album, one of the highlights of the whole New Zealand pop movement, and one of my all-time favorite albums. It's just brilliant. If you enjoy it, you can't go wrong anywhere in their catalog.

Side note: Robert Scott, the guiding light behind The Bats, got his start in The Clean and has been a constant member throughout their career. If you don't know the Clean, definitely go look for Anthology and listen to all of Disc 1. It's perfection.

A - Trak

Califone.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quicksand/Cradlesnakes would be the best place to start, although I really enjoy their debut Roomsound as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Thanks. They're coming to town in January.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

No problem! Those two albums I recommended are a bit older, though, and I don't know how much of it they play live anymore, so perhaps give the new one a listen too if you like what you hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

The Donkeys ? The one song I just heard was pretty cool- something heavens? Tell me more.

I think it's time that I explore Rush's catalog. Tons of good metal artists seem to reference them in interviews and this show I was watching yesterday had a few songs I hadn't heard that were really good. Anyone have a few album recommendations for someone who previously was only familiar with 2112, Moving Pictures and Roll the Bones?

The hold steady
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls

Almost Killed Me. It's raw and energetic, but it doesn't have the album-length story and self-referentialism of the next two albums, which are both excellent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Almost Killed Me. It's raw and energetic, but it doesn't have the album-length story and self-referentialism of the next two albums, which are both excellent as well.
    Thank-you. Im really loving it. Im really digging seperation sunday as well.

Separation Sunday is my favorite of their albums, but I wouldn't call it the best place to start. Positive Jam is a killer intro to the band. Separation takes a few listens to fully blossom, as there is so much lyrically and musically that ties in through the album to create a fantastic whole. I wasn't a fan of their last three releases after a few listens, but the first three are just great music, and they were always spectacular when I saw them live. So much energy.

Wow. I really really want to see them. I like Knuckles and Killer parties off the first album. I wish more bands had this sound. I would think I wouldve heard of them before.

I think it's time that I explore Rush's catalog. Tons of good metal artists seem to reference them in interviews and this show I was watching yesterday had a few songs I hadn't heard that were really good. Anyone have a few album recommendations for someone who previously was only familiar with 2112, Moving Pictures and Roll the Bones?
    You've never really listened to Rush? That surprises me hah.. my first concert was their 30th anniversary tour. Caress of Steel, A Farewell To Kings, and Permanent Waves are killer and pretty heavy. If you've never listened to the song Xanadu you're in for a treat, it's fucking AWESOME. Fly By Night is a lot of people's favorite but I prefer the other three. I never really cared for the debut... and no need to go past Moving Pictures.
    Last edited by FEELS; 11-10-2013 at 11:43 PM.

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

And of course be forewarned of a lot of their cheesiness...

I actually listened to all of those yesterday and dug them all. I've been reading that the albums in the 2000s have been pretty stellar and lean towards that old style. I'll report back.

Yeah, Fly by Night is my favorite record of theirs. I saw them in '07 at the Bowl on the Snakes & Arrows tour, which is a really solid album for that point in their career.
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I actually listened to all of those yesterday and dug them all. I've been reading that the albums in the 2000s have been pretty stellar and lean towards that old style. I'll report back.
    Oh yeah I haven't listened to any of their recent stuff either, hearing that I might have to check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Yeah, Fly by Night is my favorite record of theirs.
    Okay it was a while since I heard this but after re-listening right now I'd say it's my favorite. I forgot how friggin' awesome this album is.

Johnny Cash

Studio albums and/or compilations welcome...

My favorite of his studio albums is Bitter Tears. He sings a bunch of songs about native americans and they're all great. Hello, My Name is Johnny Cash is another great studio release. If you've never heard the American releases, the first one, vol. 3 and The Man Comes Around are all golden, and they're very different from his early work. He was always a great interpreter of song, and his takes on Alt rock and classic rock tracks are just excellent.

Thanks, I'll definitely check all those out! Of course I've heard pretty much all his "hits" and I love them but never knew where to start as far as downloading/purchasing albums go... there's just so many.

He has a ton, and I'm only familiar with a small smattering.

That said, if you haven't heard the prison albums, those are really the pinnacle of his career. Live at Folsom/Live at San Quentin capture him playing some incredible songs for audiences that appreciate the words, and moreso appreciate someone who comes into their world without judgment and seeks to give them a small escape. They're among the best albums ever released because Cash could so effectively identify with the darkness, despair, uncomfortable themes, gallows humor and (oddly) relentless hope of the prison community and communicate it via song.

The first American Recordings is unimaginably good.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I am generally not a live recordings person but I am totally on board with Cash's prison albums. That being said I find his American Recordings albums superficial and empty. I don't remember getting anything out of his originals and the covers are even worse, I don't find them funny at all. And if they're meant to be serious I don't think Cash's empty rasp does anything for them. It's an interestingly curated group of songs about death and loss but the emotion is already there. "I See A Darkness", "Hurt", etc. were already harrowing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Funny? I just thought he did an excellent take on Rusty Cage and that he found a different sort of pain in Hurt.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I really like his covers too. I thought it was weird when they first came out, but I didn't really know much about Cash at the time, and the recording grew on me as I became more familiar with him.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl