Page 52 of 57 FirstFirst ... 47484950515253545556 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 1689

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Then I'm going to do this request:

Jonathan Richman, non-Modern Lovers
    Third the I, Johnathan rec. Every song on that album is great. My second favorite of his Not So Much To Be Loved As To Love.

I saw him in September and he sang a lot off the latter, and a lot of his Spanish/French/Italian songs. Love that guy

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Besides The Pleasure Principal, what's another good Gary Numan album?

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Besides The Pleasure Principal, what's another good Gary Numan album?
    I say Telekon if you're interested in his earlier stuff and Sacrifice & Exile are essential lps next to the Pleasure Principal. Also I highly recommend checking out Replicas by Tubeway Army. This was his last LP with Tubeway Army before he started making music under his name

4/21 Avey Tare @ Bowery
    4/22 Woods @ Baby's All Right
    4/24 Factory Floor @ MHOW
    4/25 Modeselektor @ Sankeys
    4/26 Cell Injection @ Spektrum
    4/27 Moderat @ 1260
    4/28 Danny Tenaglia @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    I say Telekon if you're interested in his earlier stuff and Sacrifice & Exile are essential lps next to the Pleasure Principal. Also I highly recommend checking out Replicas by Tubeway Army. This was his last LP with Tubeway Army before he started making music under his name
    cool, thanks!

I endorse Spooks' answers. Replicas is my favorite Numan album.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I really like what I remember listening to while researching this band and I want to re explore them so....

Faust

Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Faust IV is a good entry point. There's little they've done that isn't fantastic, but that balances experimental and accessible best. So Far would be a good starting point too.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I was quite happy with starting with Faust is Last when it came in 2010...it's amazing.

And I want to echo starting with Replicas for Gary Numan - It's an amazing album, and he still plays a lot off of it live too.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

Electrelane. Their song Enter Laughing just came up on shuffle (Stereolab Radio on last.fm) and I'm in love.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Electrelane. Their song Enter Laughing just came up on shuffle (Stereolab Radio on last.fm) and I'm in love.
    No Shouts, No Calls. Wow, I completely forgot about that band.

No Shouts, No Calls might be the general entrance point but for Chris working off of "Enter Laughing" I would push the post-rock, mostly instrumental Rock It To The Moon.

Or Axes, which I consider their best; it is their most confident and retains the expansive side.

I went to Tucson to see Electrelane after The Power Out. On this hot, suffocating night Solar Culture had their back door open. Electrelane does their set, covering "I'm On Fire", playing new songs, etc. So during "Long Dark" a train drives by and we can hear it chugging along and blaring its horn. And the crazy thing is, it works. It makes me think, why didn't I ever think to put a train in a song.

Move forward and Axes is released and it has "Gone Darker". Wanna guess how it opens?

So this is immediately my favorite song and I figure they must've thought of it that night. Then there's an issue of Wire with them on the cover and the story is after that show they went out and recorded the trains running on those tracks and wrote those samples into a song.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Getting back to the French pop discussion from a few days ago, what's a good Edith Piaf compilation? All the ones AllMusic recommends aren't on ?.

Henry Cow rec please? Holy shit.

I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

My favorite album they worked on is In Praise of Learning, but that was a collaboration with Slapp Happy, another experimental band. If you want a Henry Cow-only album, I'd go with Unrest.

Here's an odd request, if anyone's up to it: I'd love a sampler or playlist of the best of pre-2010 Ariel Pink stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Can't offer a playlist (I'm at work and those sites get banned), but here are some tracks I like:

Are You Gonna Look After My Boys?
    Girl In A Tree
    The List (My Favorite Song)
    Beefbud
    Immune to Emotion
    Jules Lost His Jewels
    Credit
    Interesting Results
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

First off thanks bmack for the black flag rec's.

So I love patton and I am a huge tomhawk fan and I like FNM, however I have never listened to Mr. Bungle and am curious where to start and if I is worth it. Ive read its not very accesible but I like weird music and would love some rec's on where to start with them.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

California is definitely the easiest place to start with Bungle. I mean, Disco Volante is a masterpiece of sorts, but that's really diving headfirst into some strange ass shit. California is manic as hell too, but there's some really poppy songs that makes the experience less overwhelming,

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Getting back to the French pop discussion from a few days ago, what's a good Edith Piaf compilation? All the ones AllMusic recommends aren't on ?.
    The one I listened to and enjoyed the most is called the Voice of the Sparrow.

Also, for people interested in French music in general, I cannot recommend Jean Corti - Couka enough. It's a fantastic album by an accordionist who really sets a great mood. It's on Spotify too, so there's no reason not to give it a spin. Check out the track Coudes a Coudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    Also I highly recommend checking out Replicas by Tubeway Army.
    Yeah, this record rules so hard.

Also, for people interested in French music in general, I cannot recommend Jean Corti - Couka enough. It's a fantastic album by an accordionist who really sets a great mood. It's on Spotify too, so there's no reason not to give it a spin. Check out the track Coudes a Coudes.
    Thank you so much for this recommendation. I just finished watching Before Sunset and this is perfect.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I guess now's a good time for Nine Inch Nails. I've never listened to them before beside their hits.

I would recommend Broken or The Downward Spiral.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I guess now's a good time for Nine Inch Nails. I've never listened to them before beside their hits.
    "And all it could of been"
    Last edited by getbetter; 06-06-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I don't think i would recommend a live album, though it is great, as a first listen. And it's called And All That Could Have Been.

Really, go chronologically. Start with Pretty Hate Machine and go from there. Every album is great, and there is a clear progression in the music over time that makes sense.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    Even if it Daft Punk were to come out who cares. Not like they're Bono or anything

From their debut to now because they're all spectacular to good
    Follow me on Twitter at Klein25
    Foster the People - April 8 @ Pomona

Coil; I downloaded Musick To Play In The Dark from the recent ? staff picks and am loving it.