Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1689

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

The Beta Band
    Grandaddy

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Trans

After Trans try

The Three EP's
    The Sophtware Slump

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    After Trans try

The Three EP's
    The Sophtware Slump
    so fucking good. sophtware slump is amazing as well, but i played three eps out so much

After listening to The Three EP's, I was like, "oh, now I get that High Fidelity joke."
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Thanks!

Can't find any info on Trans though..

That's Grandma's sense of humor. It's a Neil Young album. That maybe those bands took some influence from.

Haa fuck I had a feeling.. downloaded Grandaddy's stuff though. So good! Thanks mang

Gentle Giant

I started with their self-titled but I don't know if that's really their best entry.

Octopus is great too.
    Last edited by ods..; 08-08-2012 at 10:09 AM.

Sigur Ros please

look at the page before this

So I went and got Husker Du's candy apple grey and i wasnt a huge fan of it.... there was about four tracks i loved and thats is it. Is there a better album or should i give up on husker du?

New Day Rising
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    I started with their self-titled but I don't know if that's really their best entry.

Octopus is great too.
    Whoops, must have missed this -thanks for the recommendations ods..

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    So I went and got Husker Du's candy apple grey and i wasnt a huge fan of it.... there was about four tracks i loved and thats is it. Is there a better album or should i give up on husker du?
    What Tom said, and then to Flip Your Wig, then Zen Arcade. Then you'll likely be able to come back to Candy Apple Grey and appreciate it more. That album has some great songs, but is the weakest of their post-Metal Circus golden era.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    look at the page before this
    Gracias

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What Tom said, and then to Flip Your Wig, then Zen Arcade. Then you'll likely be able to come back to Candy Apple Grey and appreciate it more. That album has some great songs, but is the weakest of their post-Metal Circus golden era.
    Thank you Tomaz and Bmack... I was a little bummed when i put on apple grey but I will attempt to get one out of three and give it a listen. I will not give up!

Depeche Mode. I've only ever listened to Violator. I'll take a few if you don't mind.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

The entire run of albums from Some Great Reward through Ultra fantastic. If Violator is really your thing though, Music For The Masses would be other record most like it stylistically.

But if you want to dive into the band,

Some Great Reward
    Black Celebration
    Music For The Masses
    Violator
    Songs Of Faith & Devotion
    Ultra

All is chronological order will give you a very good 13 year tour of their career. Their first three albums have some great songs, but the whole records can be hard to get through. The last couple albums are not great either, but will be worth listening to if you find yourself a fan. But those 6 middle albums, including the one you have, those are fucking great.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Thanks a lot!!!

If you want an overview of the early stuff, get The Singles 81-85 or Catching Up With Depeche Mode. But I absolutely concur with Drinkey, those are the six best albums, and they show an astonishing degree of growth on the part of the band that people normally don't think to attribute to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The entire run of albums from Some Great Reward through Ultra fantastic. If Violator is really your thing though, Music For The Masses would be other record most like it stylistically.

But if you want to dive into the band,

Some Great Reward
    Black Celebration
    Music For The Masses
    Violator
    Songs Of Faith & Devotion
    Ultra

All is chronological order will give you a very good 13 year tour of their career. Their first three albums have some great songs, but the whole records can be hard to get through. The last couple albums are not great either, but will be worth listening to if you find yourself a fan. But those 6 middle albums, including the one you have, those are fucking great.
    This is absolutely spot on. The first three albums are near impossible for me to get through, even though there are a couple of decent tracks smattered about. Music for the Masses is definitely where I would start. I love that album.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

I know it's a live album, but 101 deserves a mention if only as a reference point in terms of just how freaking popular they were.

And that was even before the "big" album!
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    The word "lulzy" is offensive.

I love y'all

Heaven 17.

Pop Will Eat Itself.

(I searched for Heaven 17 but the search function will not accept the latter band)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Heaven 17.
    The first two Heaven 17 albums (Penthouse and Pavement and The Luxury Gap) are the best, though How Men Are is worth a listen. I'd start at the beginning; "(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thang" is one of the great catchy Thatcher-bashing tunes of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Pop Will Eat Itself.
    This Is the Day...This Is the Hour...This Is This! is the album on which PWEI really hit their stride. The follow-up, Cure For Sanity, is okay, but The Looks or the Lifestyle? is pretty dire.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Yes. Penthouse & Pavement is by far the most stomachable Heaven 17 album. And if you can excuse (or indulge) it's more dated and campy aspects, it's one of the funnest and most biting of the early synth pop albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

I listened to Penthouse & Pavement... and well, it is probably not for me, mostly.

I listened to a bunch of This Is The Day... and am seeing the draw. This must have sounded crazy in 1989 and I bet I would have loved this had I heard it in the 90s. I will keep listening to see how it goes.

Thanks for the recommendations!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.