Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Chris is incorrect, but he's a lovable curmudgeon so we keep him around

Atmosphere: Either the Lucy Ford LP if you want his best work or Seven's Travels if you're more of an album person.

Flogging Molly: Swagger, their first, is their best. Everything else works off the template they created on that one, but Drunken Lullabies is still worth listening to, even if everything else they've put out hasn't really been up to snuff.

She Wants Revenge: just don't bother. If you want to hear good music in this vein, pick up Joy Division's singles collection, Substance. It's much better than SWR but in a similar vein and recorded years prior.
    Thanks for the advice. Especially on SWR, I should just stick to Joy Division.

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

I saw She Wants Revenge play with Charles Thompson and they did a badass cover of a pixies song.
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Bjork, please. I've only listened to Debut and I've never been able to get into it. Where should I go next?

I'm of the opinion that there are two choices with Bjork. If you want to hear her at her most focused, devastating and emotional, go with Homogenic. If you want to hear her at her most wide-ranging, pop-tastic and creatively far-reaching, go with Post. Both are incredible and well worth the time, but Homogenic is one of the most gorgeous works I've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Alright, thank you. I'm going to go with Homogenic first and then Post. Thanks for the quick response too!

edit: and upon searching that seems to be backwards chronologically. which is kind of cool.

Sparklehorse
    A Silver Mt. Zion
    Squarepusher

I can't speak on the others, but for a good Squarepusher album I'd look to "Hard Normal Daddy". Sick shit

Medulla is Bjork's best.

I'm partial to Vespertine.

Quote Originally Posted by java-do View Post
    Sparklehorse
    Good Morning Spider. It is solid and broad and weird enough to be interesting.

It's a Wonderful Life is a little more sleepy and Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot is better but it is more weird which might make it more difficult to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

I loved Homogenic. I thought the last half of the album was near perfect. Walked all the way to the Empire State Building (25 blocks) while listening. Great walk. Alarm Call is amazing.

Didn't really like Post. There were a few songs I liked (Enjoy and Isobel), but overall I thought it wasn't as good as Homogenic.

I'll check out the other two albums you guys mentioned. Thanks a lot.

Oh man, Ods, if you're in NY, PLEASE listen to Ladies and Gentlemen You Are Floating in Space by Spiritualized. It's my favorite "walking through Manhattan" album in the world. If you like psychedelics, it'll also burst your mind into a new realm.

sweet! I am in ny, i'll have to check it out. i'm always look for some good walking tunes.

i LOVE psyches.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Atmosphere
    start at the beginning... Overcast is one of the greatest indie-hiphop albums to date, capturing just a natural raw aspect of Ants production and Slugs word play... (included an MC by the name of Spawn, but his only Atmosphere album to date)

Sevens Travels and You Cant Imagine How Much Fun We're Having are more so the kinda albums to get your head bobbin', but reminding you why Slug is still so good at what he does...

after these albums you start to see a diff direction taken, touring w/ a live band, just lost a lot of its production value and now Sean is grown and a family man, but still putting in the work. Its obviously just my opinion, a lot more people these days dig their stuff than in the past.

if you want a more personal look at the artist check out the Sad Clown Bad Dub Series, more specifically Sad Clown 2 and 4 (DVD)
    Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

Lucy Ford LP. For serious

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Oh man, Ods, if you're in NY, PLEASE listen to Ladies and Gentlemen You Are Floating in Space by Spiritualized. It's my favorite "walking through Manhattan" album in the world. If you like psychedelics, it'll also burst your mind into a new realm.
    holy fuck this album is good. getting more of their stuff. can't believe i've never heard of this band... ignorance is showing. but i'm trying/learning.

can someone recommend an album by The Verve? I've never listened to them but I've seen the name obviously.

Just listen to the Verve's stuff chronologically. A Storm in Heaven followed by A Northern Soul followed by Urban Hymns. You can leave Forth till the end...it is not a bad album but it is not great either. Urban Hymns is by far their most accessible album, but seeing the movement from super psychedelic and dreamy to epic pop hits is pretty interesting. Plus all three of those albums totally slay. The first two are some of my favorite drive-at-night music ever.

Dr Dog please.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Just listen to the Verve's stuff chronologically. A Storm in Heaven followed by A Northern Soul followed by Urban Hymns. You can leave Forth till the end...it is not a bad album but it is not great either. Urban Hymns is by far their most accessible album, but seeing the movement from super psychedelic and dreamy to epic pop hits is pretty interesting. Plus all three of those albums totally slay. The first two are some of my favorite drive-at-night music ever.
    Thanks, going to check them out tonight. Wish i had a fucking car to drive.

I wish I had a New York to walk around in.
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)
    10/12 - IAMX - Complex
    10/13 - Oren Ambarchi - Jewels Catch One

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Oh Dr. Dog is great! Fate is really good, it is well recorded, flowing, yet very raw with the vocals, which is nice. The new one, Shame Shame, is a little bit more up beat, bouncier.
    You'd never guess they're just some young'uns. Really fun to watch live if you can catch them.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I have never listened to The Velvet Underground.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    I wish I had a New York to walk around in.
    Touche.

Too bad I have work to do. Maybe later some walking. Today was a great day. Listened to Ladies and Gentleman and walked down to a park. Layers and layers of sound. Really great album.

And bmack, I gotta say, I have been stalking your taste a bit lately. Not really on purpose, but in the beginning of the BMOTM thread your top 10 albums stood out and I listened to Boredoms for the first time. SO sick. So thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I have never listened to The Velvet Underground.
    hurry, go get the self titled. and then with nico.

and then white heat.

and then loaded.

edit: sorry for the double post, i was just super excited.

Their self titled third album is probably a good place to start. It's a good balance of their varied approaches and it sounds significantly less like shit than the first two albums (which are both great but have terrible production value, which is part of the charm but isn't to everyone's liking.)
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

^ Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Austin City Limits Festival - 10/3 - Zilker Park
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Meaning there were 3 separate self-titled albums or meaning their third album was self-titled?
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Wheels Of Cheese

Hahah your sig, Matt.
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

First album: The Velvet Underground & Nico (some times called Peel Slowly & See)
    Second album: White Light/White Heat
    Third album: The Velvet Underground
    Fourth album: Loaded
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Thanks!