Page 57 of 59 FirstFirst ... 5253545556575859 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 1768

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

The original or II? You most likely want Amon Duul II. I love both Phallus Dei and Yeti. Yeti is the one that best represents the breadth of the band.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Thanks!
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

I wish I could help with Vic Chestnutt but I'm in the same boat. I never listened to him before he killed himself and now have found it hard to start.

Tanz Der Lemminge for Amon Duul II also. And for Amon Duul (sans II), I believe Psychedelic Underground is the one, but it's been awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Oh well. I'll just dive in. Listening to Patterson Hood from Drive-By Truckers gush about Vic has me motivated.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The original or II? You most likely want Amon Duul II. I love both Phallus Dei and Yeti. Yeti is the one that best represents the breadth of the band.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Tanz Der Lemminge for Amon Duul II also. And for Amon Duul (sans II), I believe Psychedelic Underground is the one, but it's been awhile.
    Thanks guys; I really know very little about the group so I'll give both incarnations a try.

Psychedelic Underground is the one for the original Amon Duul, but II is much better. And yes, Tanz Der Lemminge is killer as well.

Any help with Boris.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    Any help with Boris.
    Pink is good.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Pink is probably the best place to start. Come back and tell us which songs you liked most and then it will be easier to recommend stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    Bump. I know you guys know that I know that you know. HELP!
    With Vic Chesnutt, I'd start with the "About To Choke" album, then buy "West of Rome".

BIG BLACK
    "Some people just need a hi-five in the face."

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Pink is probably the best place to start. Come back and tell us which songs you liked most and then it will be easier to recommend stuff
    Alright sounds good. I started with new album about 4 songs into it and was not too impressed but ill try pink out.

Quote Originally Posted by RODGERRAMJET View Post
    BIG BLACK
    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Big Black only have two studio albums. Both - Atomizer and Songs About Fucking - are essential. The former is difficult to find on its own but has been rereleased with more material as The Rich Man's 8-track Tape.

Three early EPs were collected as The Hammer Party and would be the next place to go.

They also have two live albums; I've only heard Pigpile but it hasn't done much for me.
    [I updated my comment some].
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 05-07-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    I feel like dad-rock wouldn't get so bad of a rep if we called it pop-rock

Mineral
    Also if anyone has other good Emo recommendations I'd love to hear them. I've been really loving American Football and want to find more stuff along those lines.
    Thanks!
    Shannon and the Clams - The Chapel - SF Feb 1st
    DJ Shadow (DJ set) - The Independent - SF Feb 22
    TOOL - Bill Graham Civic - SF March 12th
    Sleep - Cocoanut Grove - Santa Cruz March 22nd
    Neutral Milk Hotel - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 9th
    The Knife - The Fox Oakland - Oakland April 16th

Quote Originally Posted by seyrnon View Post
    Mineral
    Also if anyone has other good Emo recommendations I'd love to hear them. I've been really loving American Football and want to find more stuff along those lines.
    Thanks!
    Mineral - The Power of Failing

Other albums to check out...

The Jazz June - The Medicine
    The Promise Ring - Nothing Feels Good
    Texas is the Reason - Do You Know Who You Are?: The Complete Collection
    Braid - Frame and Canvas
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    Alright sounds good. I started with new album about 4 songs into it and was not too impressed but ill try pink out.
    New Album is definitely a weird one for them. Also, they have a TON of recorded works and they experiment a lot.

Pink is perhaps most widely regarded as their most accessible and generally just all around great albums to get introduced to them, but I actually prefer Smile. Their last full length, Präparat, is great too.

They have several album length songs that are really amazing - Feedbacker and Flood are both phenomenal.

They also have a lot of great collaboration albums. The best known of these are probably Altar with Sunn 0)))) and Sun-Baked Snow Cave with Merzbow. I also am a huge fan of the live album collab with Merzbow called Rock Dream.
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    New Album is definitely a weird one for them. Also, they have a TON of recorded works and they experiment a lot.

Pink is perhaps most widely regarded as their most accessible and generally just all around great albums to get introduced to them, but I actually prefer Smile. Their last full length, Präparat, is great too.

They have several album length songs that are really amazing - Feedbacker and Flood are both phenomenal.

They also have a lot of great collaboration albums. The best known of these are probably Altar with Sunn 0)))) and Sun-Baked Snow Cave with Merzbow. I also am a huge fan of the live album collab with Merzbow called Rock Dream.
    Awesome thanks. After listening to pink I really enjoyed farewell, blackout, and just abandoned myself. I honestly liked almost all of the album besides getting a little annoyed with the vocals on afterburner, but the hectic pace more than made up for the vocals. Ill try out the ones you listed above drinkey.

It is amazing to me that people always leave off Rainbow, Heavy Rocks (Orange), and Akumo No Uta when talking about Boris. Those three albums are killer, but are somehow always overlooked. This is really only a testament to how great of a band they are. I have no doubts this band would be on top of the world if they sang in english.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Cynic. Just read an article where the 2 members came out as gay. Though I'm not a huge metal fan, would love to give it a try.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    12/21 Dillon Francis @Shrine - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims - 1/3 Foxygen @Roxy - 1/4 Buddy Nielsen @Constellation Room - 1/14 Run The Jewels @Regent

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Cynic. Just read an article where the 2 members came out as gay. Though I'm not a huge metal fan, would love to give it a try.
    Just go to their El Rey show. \m/

Listening to their albums will probably get me to the El Rey show.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    12/21 Dillon Francis @Shrine - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims - 1/3 Foxygen @Roxy - 1/4 Buddy Nielsen @Constellation Room - 1/14 Run The Jewels @Regent

bmack is the expert, I'm sure he'll have one or probably more recommendations for you when he sees this

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    4. Acid Mothers Temple
    Anyone care to take a stab at this one? Their catalog is fucking huge.

Quote Originally Posted by RODGERRAMJET View Post
    With Vic Chesnutt, I'd start with the "About To Choke" album, then buy "West of Rome".
    Thank you!
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    There are two routes to go: either start with their most metal album and work forward (That's how I did it) or start with the new one, which has barely any metal tendencies on it, and work back to the death metal beginnings. They've only got three albums and an EP to their name, so it's not a ton of listening. As a metal fan I prefer the first album, Focus, which finds them playing an odd meld of death metal, prog and jazz-fusion. The new one, Kindly Bent to Free Us, is pretty much a heavy, intense psych-prog record. It's one of my favorite releases of this year.

I'm not an expert, but I liked Focus a lot when I heard it and thought the new one was bland as shit.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    Vic Chesnutt
    FYI:

King Diamond
    Translation

Ty Segall / Cold Beat/WAND @ GAMH 01/29/15
    Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15

Last.fm

Abigail. Do you know Mercyful Fate? If not, you need to hear Melissa and Don't Break the Oath.

So I gave King Diamond a listen and it reminded me of Iron Maiden which I'm not found of at all .
    Translation

Ty Segall / Cold Beat/WAND @ GAMH 01/29/15
    Sparks @ Ace Hotel 02/14/15
    Caribou @The Fillmore 03/01/15
    The Pop Group @ GAMH 03/11/15
    Neutral Milk Hotel @ Pappy & Harriets 05/30/15

Last.fm