Page 56 of 57 FirstFirst ... 51525354555657 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 1689

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

I think the funniest thing here is that Big Black only have two studio albums. Both Atomizer and Songs About Fucking are essential. The former head been rereleased with the Heartbeat single as The Rich Man's 8-track Tape.

The three early EPs were collected as The Hammer Party and would be the next place to go.

They also have two live albums; I've only heard Pigpile but it hasn't done much for me.

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Mark Lanegan

4/17 Pixies @ Pappy & Harriets
    4/26 Desert Daze @ Sunset Ranch Oasis
    5/26 Panda Bear @ Pappy & Harriets
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium

Screaming Trees-era Mark Lanegan or solo Mark Lanegan? If the latter, my intro was Bubblegum, which I haven't heard in forever but remember being great.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Screaming Trees-era Mark Lanegan or solo Mark Lanegan? If the latter, my intro was Bubblegum, which I haven't heard in forever but remember being great.
    The latter. Thanks. I heard a song on Pandora (can't remember which one?) and it was really good.

Uncle Anesthesia is probably my favorite Screaming Trees album, and I'm a big fan of Blues Funeral, Lanegan's latest solo album. But you also couldn't go wrong with his second, Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, which is minimal and bleak and awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Uncle Anesthesia is probably my favorite Screaming Trees album, and I'm a big fan of Blues Funeral, Lanegan's latest solo album. But you also couldn't go wrong with his second, Whiskey for the Holy Ghost, which is minimal and bleak and awesome.
    Will check those out. I remember hearing a Screaming Trees song and not really liking it but I'll listen to that album. And now that you mention Whiskey For The Holy Ghost, I'm pretty sure that Pandora song was on that record. Thank you!

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

There are so many good Screaming Trees albums, and Mark Lanegan albums in general. he has a remarkably long career, album-wise.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

I'm not too familiar myself, but I did really enjoy Black Pudding with Duke Garwood from last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Slave

If we're talking the funk band, then their first album, which is self-titled, is my favorite and also the best place to start. They did interesting stuff later on but that one is a groove-storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yeah the funk band. I shazam-ed it the other day and got thrown off by their catalog. Lots! I get lost in the funk too easy.

I take no small amount of pride in the fact that I received a perfect grade in Funk during college. That's true scholarship.

The Dandy Warhols.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

I like a great deal of The Dandy Warhols' catalog. I feel like Thirteen Tales from Urban Bohemia, Welcome To The Monkey House, and ...The Dandy Warhols Come Down, in that order, is a great place to start.

Also, anybody have recommendations for Midnight Oil? I've always liked their stuff but haven't listened to any albums all the way through. They have a bigger discography than i was expecting - i didn't realize they were active for so long.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Also, anybody have recommendations for Midnight Oil? I've always liked their stuff but haven't listened to any albums all the way through. They have a bigger discography than i was expecting - i didn't realize they were active for so long.
    Diesel and Dust. It's got the big hit - 'Beds Are Burning' - but the rest of the album is really good too.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 is also pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Can anyone recommend some King Tubby?

It's kind of a lot at 30 tracks, but I've always enjoyed King Tubby's Special 1973-1976. Fucking dub artists really do have the most confusing discographies outside of The Fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by mahhhc View Post
    Can anyone recommend some King Tubby?
    IMO the most essential Tubby release is King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown, but a few others I can recommend are African Love Dub and Dub from the Roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Andrew, I'm a huge fan. Here's my write-up from the "Young'uns Guide" thread:

http://www.coachella.com/forum/showt...l=1#post338180

The two albums mentioned above are great and good places to start. You really can't go wrong with their four-album run from '82-'90 (10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1; Red Sails in the Sunset; Diesel and Dust; Blue Sky Mining). I'm excited about the Replacements and Afghan Whigs reuniting, but I'd lose my shit if these guys got back together.

EDIT: Forgot that if you scroll down a few posts from the one linked above I include four live videos.
    Last edited by roberto73; 01-29-2014 at 01:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    IMO the most essential Tubby release is King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown
    Seconded. This is one of my favorite dub records.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    The Dandy Warhols.
    I think you would be happy with starting with the shoegazy psyche/noise of ...The Dandy Warhols Come Down. From there if you want more pop head to Thirteen Tales, if you want more rough, garagey noise head to Dandys Rule OK. I think there are some good songs on Welcome to the Monkey House but it is not essential. I have not gotten into anything newer than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Odditorium and The Black Album are both very good - i missed the next two after that, but last 2012's This Machine was also very good.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I think you would be happy with starting with the shoegazy psyche/noise of ...The Dandy Warhols Come Down.
    I'm absolutely loving this so far. I'll give the rest of their discography a listen later tonight.

Thanks gentlemen.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

I've had an impossible time trying to figure out Pete Seeger -- any thoughts on where to start?

Four Tet (3/6) ~ St Vincent (3/20) ~ Stephen Malkmus/Speedy Ortiz (3/28) ~ Factory Floor (4/15) ~ Sasquatch (7/4-6)

Medicine.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Medicine.
    Shot Forth Self Living. "One More" is one of the best songs of ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I never got around to Shot Forth Self Living, but would like to add that The Buried Life as well as last year's record are both phenomenal. They were really good live at Culture Collide last year, but were kind of goofy. The guitar player completely slays, though.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Oh yeah, Shot Forth Self Living is the essential album from them for sure.
    last.fm

Vic Chesnutt
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."