Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 48495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 1724

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Their second album Horse Rotorvator is fucking amazing...quite different from Musick as i recall - it's really dark and abrasive, but very, very good.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Thanks for the rec! Is Musick... a bit of an "odd-album-out" in terms of their prevailing sound? They have a really big discography.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

I am actually not that familiar with a lot of their stuff...I have had Horse Rotorvator for many years for some reason and have always liked it, then asked for recommendations for further listening (maybe in this thread) and Patrick suggested Musique to me.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by gillster17 View Post
    First off thanks bmack for the black flag rec's.

So I love patton and I am a huge tomhawk fan and I like FNM, however I have never listened to Mr. Bungle and am curious where to start and if I is worth it. Ive read its not very accesible but I like weird music and would love some rec's on where to start with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    California is definitely the easiest place to start with Bungle. I mean, Disco Volante is a masterpiece of sorts, but that's really diving headfirst into some strange ass shit. California is manic as hell too, but there's some really poppy songs that makes the experience less overwhelming,
    I will agree that California is Mr. Bungles most accessible record, and Disco Violante is an absolute masterpiece, but is undeniably weird as hell and definitely not the best starting point. With that being said, I would start with their self-titled, Mr. Bungle. It gives you the best idea of what the band is all about and gives you a balance between their pop-oriented side and their bizarro-experimental side.

Honestly though, all 3 are great and incredibly unique records and are worth the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I'm glad you're digging Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. 1 as that's in my top 10 albums of all time, and Coil is in my top 10 bands of all time. It's always baffled me that such an inventive, influential band gets so little recognition around here. I've done a Young'Uns guide for them, so check that out. There's a few releases towards the end of their career that I haven't posted a review for, but a good majority of their stuff is covered in that. Musick is kind of an anomaly, but really only in the sense that all of their albums are. They've had countless phases and they've all been wildly different. The four albums I always recommend are the one you already grabbed, their debut Scatology, the follow up Horse Rotorvator (both are an interesting mix of industrial, noise, dark pop songs, folk elements, and sound collage), and their acid house/proto-IDM landmark, Love's Secret Domain. I'd also add Time Machines to that list if you're a fan of drone. They've had a remarkably consistent career so there's a whole lot to dig into and very little of it is worth skipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Jacques Brel.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Would you count Jacques Brel? He was Belgian but sang in French in the 50s and 60s. I would recommend the 2-CD version of the Quand On N'a Que L'Amour compilation (Spotify).
    No one uses the search function in this thread.

Haha, thanks.

It's not so much that I'm anti-search function, it's more that this is one of only 3 or 4 threads that I've kept up with since the beginning and I didn't recall seeing anyone ask about him.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I'm glad you're digging Musick To Play In The Dark Vol. 1 as that's in my top 10 albums of all time, and Coil is in my top 10 bands of all time. It's always baffled me that such an inventive, influential band gets so little recognition around here. I've done a Young'Uns guide for them, so check that out. There's a few releases towards the end of their career that I haven't posted a review for, but a good majority of their stuff is covered in that. Musick is kind of an anomaly, but really only in the sense that all of their albums are. They've had countless phases and they've all been wildly different. The four albums I always recommend are the one you already grabbed, their debut Scatology, the follow up Horse Rotorvator (both are an interesting mix of industrial, noise, dark pop songs, folk elements, and sound collage), and their acid house/proto-IDM landmark, Love's Secret Domain. I'd also add Time Machines to that list if you're a fan of drone. They've had a remarkably consistent career so there's a whole lot to dig into and very little of it is worth skipping.
    Thanks so much for this; I can't believe I forgot to check the Young'Uns thread!

No one uses the search function in this thread.
    I did, although it only searched this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Bailter Space.

And while you're at it, tell me why they're not the greatest band I've never heard of until now. Holy shit.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Wow, they have a huge discography. I've never heard if them either but it sure seems like i'll love them.
    last.fm

Bailter Space is fucking awesome. I think they're still recording too. It's hard to decide which one to start with, but the one that gets the most repeated listens from me is Thermos. Although, to be fair, it wouldn't suck at all to just start with the Nelsh Bailter Space EP and work forward. That's what I did and it treated me quite well.

And that scene spawned some really great noise rock. Another one totally worth checking out is Snapper. They only put out one album, Shotgun Blossom, that is a total gem of noisy poppy rock songs. For the more rough-edged stuff, you really can't go wrong with This Kind of Punishment. Their S/T first album is one of those rare Joy Division-influenced post-punk records that doesn't suffer from having some clear reference to Ian Curtis. Oh, and the Dead C - start with Harsh 70s Reality and get blown away by sloppily executed noise rock at its best.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Oh, and it might behoove you to truly start at the beginning, with the band that turned into Bailter Space, the Gordons. Their first album was so fucking great and became kind of legendary in the New Zealand underground scene.

Thank you. I just grabbed Musick... from ?'s latest freeleech but haven't listened yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

As always, thank you thank you thank you for all of that info, bmack.

And yeah. Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1. Patrick had recommended it for years, and I finally listened to it for the first time last year at about 10pm, pitch black out, driving over the Rocky Mountains. Easily one of the most amazing listening experiences I've ever had.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Oh, and it might behoove you to truly start at the beginning, with the band that turned into Bailter Space, the Gordons. Their first album was so fucking great and became kind of legendary in the New Zealand underground scene.
    Yes.

Bailter Space is fucking awesome. I think they're still recording too. ... Although, to be fair, it wouldn't suck at all to just start with the Nelsh Bailter Space EP and work forward. That's what I did and it treated me quite well.
    And yes again. I did the same thing, and it worked out pretty well. For a slightly dissenting take on the single album recommendation, I'm partial to Robot World.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey rubber toe, it's a message board not a English essay. NERD

Vortura was my favorite though I haven't heard much more than that and Robot World (which is also great) so this is a good reminder to catch up via Spotify.

And yeah, the Gordons were top notch.
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Robot World would be my second (Fourth?) recommendation for albums to start with. I prefer Thermos ever so slightly because that was where the lineup cohered (On Tanker and Nelsh Bailter Space Hamish Kilgour from the Clean was the drummer.) As an aside, the classic Bailter Space lineup is the same lineup as in The Gordons, so that recommendation is really the place to start.

Ulaan Khol/Steven R. Smith.

Henry Rollins played a track from Ulaan Khol's album II tonight on his KCRW show and it was incredible.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Moondog
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Roky Erikson is tough because he has a career on his own that I'm not overly familiar with.
    I'd like to ask about Roky Erickson too, searched and this is all that came up.

And, James Brown.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

How unknown are these artists? I can wholeheartedly recommend the compilation soundtrack to You're Gonna Miss Me (and the doc itself) for Roky and the Thirteenth Floor Elevators.

And for James Brown I can say 20 All-Time Greatest Hits! and the two Live at the Apollo albums (1962 and 1968) are the ones to start with.
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

James Brown has so much good shit. Please, for your own good, keep going well past those recommendations and into his albums. I'd also recommend just going in chronological order through his best albums.

*1963 - Live at the Apollo
    1967 - Cold Sweat
    1968 - Live at the Apollo II
    1969 - It's a Mother
    *1970 - Sex Machine
    1970 - Hot Pants
    1972 - There It Is
    *1973 - The Payback
    1974 - Hell

Obviously, that's a lot of music, so I asterisked the ones that I think are probably the most crucial ones to listen to.

The thing with James Brown is that he made discovering his music really easy by releasing the Star Time box set, one of the single best compilations known to man. Grab Star Time and never look back.

Please give me two or three essential Richard Youngs albums to listen to, preferably with some explanation description of each. if they're different stylistically that would be good too. Thanks!

Oingo boingo and why is it so hard to believe they would never reunite.
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Only A Lad. I wrote about it in the overlooked albums by decade thread. The main reason cited for them never reuniting is Danny Elfman's hearing. But he's doing that Halloween show, so who knows now.

Bill Callahan. Might as well recommend some Smog, too.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Bill Callahan. Might as well recommend some Smog, too.
    Smog and sorta Callahan have been covered in the thread before, I haven't listened to the Callahan record but the Smog advice is spot-on.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    if we're talking his entire output from smog, and beyond i'd probably recommend knock, knock to someone first. then, if they liked that go to red apple falls.

if it's just his material as bill callahan i'm kinda partial to Sometimes I Wish We Were An Eagle.
    The only thing I'd switch there is the order between listening to Red Apple Falls and Knock Knock. Those three will either sell your or convince you that you don't need him in your life.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Does anyone ever bother to search this thread before posting?