Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 4546474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1725

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Raveonettes please.
    None.
    9/05 - The Rentals - Fonda (?)
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy
    9/13 - Owen Pallett - El Rey (?)
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Raveonettes please.
    Start with the first EP, Whip it On. Then go to the first and third albums, Chain Gang of Love and Lust Lust Lust. Skip the second album. Haven't listened to anything post-Lust Lust Lust closely but I like what I have heard.

Yeah, that first EP is amazing. And agree that the second album is relatively weak (apart from "Love in Trashcan" and "Somewhere in Texas").

I've also lost track but their latest album, Observator is really solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    Start with the first EP, Whip it On. Then go to the first and third albums, Chain Gang of Love and Lust Lust Lust. Skip the second album. Haven't listened to anything post-Lust Lust Lust closely but I like what I have heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    Yeah, that first EP is amazing. And agree that the second album is relatively weak (apart from "Love in Trashcan" and "Somewhere in Texas").

I've also lost track but their latest album, Observator is really solid.
    Thanks. Really enjoying them so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Caribou - 11/23 - The Mohawk

In the wake of his death, I'd like a handful of recommendations of any Jason Molina project. I've been meaning to get into Songs: Ohia especially for awhile now.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

farewell transmission is one of my favorite songs of all time

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    In the wake of his death, I'd like a handful of recommendations of any Jason Molina project. I've been meaning to get into Songs: Ohia especially for awhile now.
    I think the albums I go back to the most are Axxess & Ace recorded with a variety of side members and The Lioness, recorded with Alasdair Roberts, members of Arab Strap, etc. Both are dark, sharp and brooding.

A very different recommendation is the solo, acoustic Shohola, part of the Sojourner boxed set (an actual wooden box). The Pyramid Electric Co. and solo records (oh man Let Me Go, Let Me Go, Let Me Go) are in a similar vein.

You may also wish to try the CD-length playlist I made, trying to cover the full range from throughout his career.

Locust
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I love their debut more than anything else they did. It's self-titled.

As a bonus, it was a 3" cd when it was released. I found it at a local antiques store that also sold CDs for some odd reason. Moth-Eaten Deer Head is a killer track.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Locust
    I used to be really into them, but haven't followed them for years now. The S/t LP and the Flight of the Wounded Locust ep are both fantastic. The full-length is 20 tracks in 16 minutes and the ep is 11 tracks in 10 minutes, by the way.

EDIT: Bryan beat me to the punch! I have the 3" version of that. I saw them and Cattle Decapitation play together, once, at the Chain Reaction. Wow. That was a helluva show.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Plague Soundscapes

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I used to be really into them, but haven't followed them for years now. The S/t LP and the Flight of the Wounded Locust ep are both fantastic. The full-length is 20 tracks in 16 minutes and the ep is 11 tracks in 10 minutes, by the way.

EDIT: Bryan beat me to the punch! I have the 3" version of that. I saw them and Cattle Decapitation play together, once, at the Chain Reaction. Wow. That was a helluva show.
    My other favorite would have been Safety Second, Body Last. I always wondered what came first.

Going from Wolf Eyes to The Locust at Coachella 2005 was one of the single most bizarre and enthralling experiences I've had at a festival. Although, seeing them at Street Scene 2005 was even better: all the Dashboard Confessional fans were at their stage for some reason (an inordinate amount of Dashboard shirts attested to that) and they opened with about 10 minutes of pure white noise. After the horde of people with hands over ears fled the opposite way, one of them said, "Well, now that we got rid of them..." and they burst into an intense, hellacious set.

I love that band.

Ahh, ok. The DJs on KXLU a few hours ago were talking about the band and how much they loved them and how awesome their song titles were...the group you're talking about is The Locust, but there's also an EDM dude called Locust. Wasn't sure which they were talking about, but sounds like it was the former. Thanks, y'all.
    9/11 - Swans - Roxy

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Ha, yes, they were definitely talking about the synth-infused grindcore act from San Diego, who have song titles like:

Spitting In The Faces Of Fools As A Source Of Nutrition
    Halfway To A Worthless Ideal Arrangement (An Interlude To A Discontinued Sarcastic Harmony...Yea Whatever)
    Wet-Burse Syndrome Hand-Me-Down Display Case
    Turning Your Merchandise Into A Ripped Wall Of Mini-Abs
    Gluing Carpet To Your Genitals Does Not Make You A Cantaloupe
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Gluing Carpet To Your Genitals Does Not Make You A Cantaloupe
    So true.

Yeah, they were onto something there...

So yeah, I'm familiar with tons of their work, but I figured this would be the best place to ask this question and participate in the discussion:

Queen - what is everyone's favorite album(s), which would you recommend starting with, which one(s) would you recommend avoiding?

Frank Sinatra? I have In The Wee Small Hours. Anything else I should get?

The Beatles.

Songs For Swinging Lovers. Those two albums (In the Wee Small Hours and the aforementioned) distill the two sides of Sinatra perfectly, and are both essential.

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGather View Post
    The Beatles.
    If serious, there are two ways I would suggest going: either start with Please Please Me, their first release, or Rubber Soul, which many would view as their artistic breakthrough. Please Please Me may be a little bit too "old" for some people and it has a fair amount of (great) covers, but I feel that it's a worthy introduction to the band. While Help found them taking a big step forward with their songwriting, Rubber Soul is the first album where they really sound confident in their craft, not including any covers and knocking it out of the park with almost every song. In either case, I would recommend working forward from the album you start with, as they only released one dud (Beatles For Sale.) Also, go with the UK editions for all albums up to Sgt. Peppers, as prior to that the US and UK releases had different track orders and different mixes on the songs. The UK versions are always better. While a singles collection (Past Masters Vol. 1) would be a way to get an overview, these albums give you a fuller view of the band.

I know a few Beatles songs (mostly not by name. Even today, I'll find out a song I've heard before is by them and like O RLY). They just weren't on my radar growing up. I mean, I know who they are and stuff, but not so much for their music.

I had that same exact experience. As a kid they were just part of the ether of life, but I still remember the first time I heard their music in any kind of focused manner. My sixth grade drafting teacher played the "Red" album (a two-disc collection of early songs) as we worked.

If that's the case, I'd suggest starting with Rubber Soul and then slowly moving forward through their catalog. There are so many gems in their catalog that it's worthwhile to really take in everything they released. The first time you become a Beatles fanatic is really a great thing, and the reason so many music lovers adore them so much is really quite simple: they just wrote lots of good music.

It is to my understanding that Sgt Peppers and the white album are their greatest works, yes?

But yes, I'll take you up on your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    So yeah, I'm familiar with tons of their work, but I figured this would be the best place to ask this question and participate in the discussion:

Queen - what is everyone's favorite album(s), which would you recommend starting with, which one(s) would you recommend avoiding?
    I grew up on Queen. I heard one of the Greatest Hits albums and said "why aren't their best songs on the radio?" Then I heard the albums and said "why aren't all their best songs on the Greatest Hits?"

I don't really know Queen, Queen II, A Night At the Opera or Hot Space (or Made In Heaven, I guess) but I will vouch for literally everything else. Though I suppose not everyone loves the move Flash Gordon as much as I do. Same may be said of Highlander and the songs on A Kind of Magic. There is a lot that is cheesy and silly but that is half the fun.

My favorite albums might be Jazz and The Miracle, but they also may be Sheer Heart Attack and A Day at the Races. Or News of the World.

I might start someone new with A Day at the Races, then go to The Works before heading back for Sheer Heart Attack, etc.

Okay need genre help: 60s/70s French pop other than Serge Gainsbourg and Francoise Hardy. Key artists/albums/comps: go.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

I don't have any recommendations of my own, but I have found that AllMusic's top albums/artists lists for genres like that are usually spot-on and might give you some good suggestions: http://www.allmusic.com/style/french-pop-ma0000012177
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

The one that immediately comes to mind is France Gall. She had some great songs written by Serge and some stuff from other people as well. The type of music you're looking to get into is referred to as Ye Ye usually, so that might help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Okay need genre help: 60s/70s French pop other than Serge Gainsbourg and Francoise Hardy. Key artists/albums/comps: go.
    Would you count Jacques Brel? He was Belgian but sang in French in the 50s and 60s. I would recommend the 2-CD version of the Quand On N'a Que L'Amour compilation (Spotify).
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 05-03-2013 at 05:34 AM. Reason: link

Ah, thanks!
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.