Page 37 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1724

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Ten is their classic, but I think I prefer Vitalogy. The first four to five albums are all varying degrees of awesome, depending on how much earnestness and classic rock bombast you can take. I can take a lot, and I love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Ten is their classic, but I think I prefer Vitalogy. The first four to five albums are all varying degrees of awesome, depending on how much earnestness and classic rock bombast you can take. I can take a lot, and I love them.
    thanks bmack! it seems like you can do no wrong with your taste in music so yeah i figure i'll just download those first five

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Vs is my personal favorite. I would say just go in order, but that might get boring if you're the type to skip over the tracks you already know
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Vs is the best place to start, imo. It's the band's sophomore effort, and it contains much less of the generic rock sound that many found troubling about Ten. It contains some of the band's finest songs, and man that key change at the end of Rats is so awesome.

Vitalogy is their best, and my absolute favorite. Vedder channels Neil Young more with Immortality (my favorite tune of theirs, and they're my favorite band) than anyone might have ever.

For the lofty musical taste of many on this board, No Code is where it's at. This album finds the band literally trying to alienate their fan base, and it has some of the most interesting songs they ever penned. I've always thought that it takes the loud-quiet-loud approach that the Pixies mastered, but in album sequence form, as the songs on this one seem to alternate in that way.
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    8/07 - Haim - Wiltern (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Ten through Yield is pretty great no matter where you look. I think going in order but skipping over Ten (since you probably already know most of the songs) is a good way to go about it. The 2000's have some good songs to be heard but someone could just make you a playlist of what not to miss.

I'd like that playlist, actually. My Pearl Jam fanhood dropped off precipitously after 2002. It's literally been 10 years since I've heard new stuff of theirs.

Just sent you a spotify list, bmack. That's pretty much the best of the 2000s.

edit: Actually, I forgot a few gems off of Binaural, but I think you've heard that album anyway.
    Last edited by TallGuyCM; 04-25-2012 at 11:54 PM.

I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I don't care much for most of their 2000's stuff, but Backspacer was actually pretty damn good. I was very impressed.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Oh hey, something we agree on.

I have a soft spot for Riot Act, but the avocado album and Backspacer were bad.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Squarepusher. Like, the one to start with and then one or two more from there if possible.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I've always enjoyed Hard Normal Daddy, but Music Is a Rotted One Note is my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Awesome, cheers.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Swans.

I like 'Beautiful Child', so anything like that would be helpful.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Swans.

Soundtrack for The Blind is the only one I know besides the newest one but it is one of my favorite post-rock albums ever.

Devendra Banhart.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Awesome, cheers.
    Sure thing. Hard... is more of a straight-forward, mid-90s Warp/IDM kind of album, while Music... is something else entirely. If I could compare it to anything it would be FlyLo's Cosmogramma, but Music... is a bit darker in its overall tone.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Devendra Banhart.
    I'm sure most will suggest Rejoicing in the Hands, but I always liked Nino Rojo a little more.
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Squarepusher. Like, the one to start with and then one or two more from there if possible.
    I'd go Go Plastic > Do You Know Squarepusher > Ultravisitor. I think that span of albums is his pinnacle work. Then I'd go back and do the ones nosurprises recommended.
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

^ You just loooooove taking the piss out of me in this thread, don't you

My favorite is Music is Rotted One Note, but Ultravisitor is quite good as well. He's got a great catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    Swans.

Two Swans to check out would be Children of God and Soundtrack for the Blind. And then the last studio album, which is really good and more towards what they're doing currently.

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Devendra Banhart.
    Rejoicing in the Hand should be the most recommended, but if you like it you'll like Nino Rojo since they were recorded at the same time and released soon after each other.

I love Nino Rojo

Nino Rojo is better than Rejoicing in the Hand. "Little Yellow Spider" is the best song he ever did.

Dispatch. Never heard of them. Good shit?

It's kind of funny to see all the Squarepusher - Music is One Rotted Note love up there. It's so different from everything else he has put out. It's a great album, but it also sticks out as a major contrast to his other albums since he left his signature sampling and sequencing off of it.
    I think anybody with even a remote interest in Squarepusher has got to listen to his first album, Feed me Weird things.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkjustice View Post
    this mix is tripping me out
    Audio junky/CD collector
    Coachella 2001/2003

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Dispatch. Never heard of them. Good shit?
    Some of my friends during college LOVED Dispatch. They also loved O.A.R., DMB, and to a very lesser extent, Jack Johnson. Jam Band music good for a sunny day festival to sit down and hang out with friends. I think first album Bang Bang is the one I used to hear the most so I'd start there.

For sure, thanks. I'll check it out and see if i dig it. If anything it will be fun to hang out at in the sun. OSL does a good job with acts like that.

Kate Bush

Listened to 50 Words for Snow and The Dreaming as just a shot in the dark, though I really enjoyed it. Now where should I go?

This thread is amazing! Totally going to make my musical exploration life alot more efficient for awhile. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by apachedino View Post
    Kate Bush

Listened to 50 Words for Snow and The Dreaming as just a shot in the dark, though I really enjoyed it. Now where should I go?
    The Kick Inside and Hounds of Love

Both of these are pretty accessible if you're a new fan of hers.
    Last edited by zircona1; 05-01-2012 at 07:00 PM.

I actually would recommend the hits collection for Kate Bush, The Whole Story.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I'm glad I saw this rec. I've never listened to Kate Bush, but I put on Hounds of Love a few months ago and turned if off during the first song. It just sounded very dated and I didn't see myself getting much out of keeping it on. Maybe that collection will be a more appealing listen.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare