Page 32 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Can someone give me a few Bill Callahan/Smog recs? (looking for older stuff as well as newish). I only have the 2011 and 2009 albums.

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    Can someone give me a few Bill Callahan/Smog recs? (looking for older stuff as well as newish). I only have the 2011 and 2009 albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    if we're talking his entire output from smog, and beyond i'd probably recommend knock, knock to someone first. then, if they liked that go to red apple falls.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The only thing I'd switch there is the order between listening to Red Apple Falls and Knock Knock. Those three will either sell your or convince you that you don't need him in your life.
    Some advice from earlier
    Last edited by buddy; 12-30-2011 at 03:17 PM.

not from either of those albums, but i'm using this as an excuse to post this song from his wild love album

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Some advice from earlier
    Thanks a lot! I thought I saw something in here earlier. Should have searched.

Coachella Junkie

Carter USM
    Lords of the New Church
    Inspiral Caarpets
    Claytown Troupe

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    Carter USM
    Lords of the New Church
    Inspiral Caarpets
    Claytown Troupe
    I wore my Lords shirt today. The debut self-titled is my favorite. It's not the most diverse album in terms of styles, but it showcases their darker punk sound really well. Almost all of my favorite songs are on that album, but that's also a function of that's the album of theirs that I listen to the most. Their second album Is Nothing Sacred sounds like the band wanted to move in a new direction, but they couldn't quite figure out what that direction was going to be. There's some interesting tracks that cover a range of 80s styles, but the album isn't coherent. Method to the Madness goes back to their rock roots but with less anthemic songs than their debut. So debut, Method to the Madness, and Is Nothing Sacred. I don't own the newer album or any compilations.

Can anyone recommend a couple Cynics albums? I love Girl Your on my Mind and Erica so albums with more of their upbeat songs.

Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    Carter USM
    Their first two albums 101 Damnations and 30 Something are a good place to start. The debut is probably the better album, but for some reason I actually prefer 30 Something.

Inspiral Caarpets
    Your best bet here is to go with their debut, Life. It's a case of seriously diminishing returns after that.

Jimmy Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by swhite423 View Post
    Jimmy Cliff
    The Harder They Come soundtrack

Karlheinz Stockhausen?

Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    Your best bet here is to go with their debut, Life. It's a case of seriously diminishing returns after that.
    I'd agree with that, though there are other gems scattered across the remainder of their material. The US version of Life includes "Commercial Rain" (also called "Commercial Reign"), as well as most of the Island Head EP, only omitting one track from the original UK version.

If you're after a compilation to stand alongside Life, The Singles is a worthy companion. It goes back as early as the "Joe" single and covers much of the good stuff from the three albums which followed Life. There are good songs that aren't covered by their compilations (I've always been fond of "Grip" from The Beast Inside, for example; "Plane Crash" is worth a listen as it represents along with "Joe" the band's earliest garage/psych-freak sound, though it's also nearly 17 minutes long).

Fun band with one of rock's great overdramatic singers and the delightful sound of Clint Boon's Farfisa.
    Last edited by stuporfly; 01-07-2012 at 11:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by garspaceman View Post
    well hello my fancy pants.

Manu Chao
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

Coachella Junkie boarderwoozel3's Avatar

Try 'Radio Bemba Sound System' for Manu.

Lil B

Quote Originally Posted by stuporfly View Post
    I'd agree with that, though there are other gems scattered across the remainder of their material. The US version of Life includes "Commercial Rain" (also called "Commercial Reign"), as well as most of the Island Head EP, only omitting one track from the original UK version.

If you're after a compilation to stand alongside Life, The Singles is a worthy companion. It goes back as early as the "Joe" single and covers much of the good stuff from the three albums which followed Life. There are good songs that aren't covered by their compilations (I've always been fond of "Grip" from The Beast Inside, for example; "Plane Crash" is worth a listen as it represents along with "Joe" the band's earliest garage/psych-freak sound, though it's also nearly 17 minutes long).

Fun band with one of rock's great overdramatic singers and the delightful sound of Clint Boon's Farfisa.
    I have a Commercial Rain CD single somewhere in my collection. I sure loved that song.

Randy Newman

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Pram. They came up on Broadcast Radio on last.fm and I like what I'm hearing.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Slint, please.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Slint, please.
    Well, they only really have Spiderland and Tweez, but I'd start with Spiderland. I love that album.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

Right on. Thanks.

Spiderland is one of the top 10 best albums ever, in my book. Tweez is good, but it feels like the band still trying to find their sound.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Spiderland and the untitled 10" are the two Slint releases that are perfect. Tweez is less than perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Beirut, please.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

Most will probably tell you "Gulag Orkestar" but I say The Flying Club Cup.
    Can't go wrong with either really.

Gracias.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

I also posted some videos/information about them in the "Tell Us About the 2012 Line-Up" thread if you're interested.

cool thanks again.

Sleater-Kinney, other than The Woods. I'll take two if you think of two.

Dig Me Out is a favorite of mine. It's fun when played loud. If you are looking for something resembling The Woods, then One Beat is my best suggestion. They're both very good, but as far as I am concerned, The Woods is downright their best.

Thanks!

The Woods is defintiely their best. Dig Me Out is their second. I also love the one they did on Chainsaw, Call the Doctor. It's their other hard-ass album.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****