Page 1 of 58 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Default The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

The Smiths
    Sonic Youth
    Pavement
    Blur
    Stereolab
    Spacemen 3
    Pulp
    Asobi Seksu
    Tool
    Machinefabriek
    Gang of Four
    Guided By Voices
    Bjork
    Arctic Monkeys
    The Black Keys (something other than Brothers)
    Tom Waits
    REM
    Mogwai
    Last edited by seandlr; 11-29-2010 at 11:35 PM.

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Sonic Youth => Daydream Nation

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Default Re: The Thread Where You Name an Artist and Someone Else Recommends an Album

Quote Originally Posted by seandlr View Post
    The Smiths
    Sonic Youth
    Pavement
    Blur
    Sterolab
    Spacemen 3
    Pulp
    Asobi Seksu
    Tool
    Blur -> self titled.
    Pulp -> Different Class.

Sonic Youth-The Eternal, Dirty, Sonic Nurse,Evol
    Pavement- Slanted and every other release.

Tool - Lateralus

The Smiths-The Queen is Dead

It's the most cohestive Smiths album, despite not having their biggest hits. It flows really well and gives you a good idea of the breadth of their music. Also, it's got some of Moz's least cringe-worthy lyrics.

Sonic Youth-Sister

Daydream Nation is their best album, but it's not the best place to start because it's so dense and long and consuming. Sister is probably a better way to go because it shows the freeness and weird sort of atonal-yet-melodic stuff that they are so incredible at. It was the precursor to Daydream, yet it stands up as a true classic in its own right.

Pavement-Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Slanted and Enchanted is better, but CR,CR is more accessible, more fully made and more clean. The songs on here are all classic, and they're not quite as fuzz-bombed as Slanted, which can be off-putting to new ears.

Stereolab-Emperor Tomato Ketchup

I'd call it the quintessential Stereolab album. It covers most of the huge range of sounds that they played with, and it also has some of their absolute best songs, including Metronome Underground, which is my favorite thing they've done. If you don't like this, you won't like Stereolab

Spacemen 3-The Perfect Prescription

They have two classics, but The Perfect Prescription is the better one to start with. They're working as a band here, and they do so in a great manner. Again, it has some of their best work, but this one is really notable for being the best place to hear two geniuses working together on some truly spectacular psychedelic music.

Asobi Seksu-Citrus

They seem like the outlier on your list in that they're the only band who isn't great. Citrus isn't a great album, but it's their best. They do cool, shoegazey stuff and this is the one that stands up best from front to back.

Tool-AEnima

I think it's the perfect midpoint between their dark and eerie stuff and more hard rocking material. The transitions are cool, they have a really ominous and creepy mood that they keep up through the whole album, and the album art is pretty fantastic. If you like the less hard-rock songs, move forward in their catalog, and if you prefer the rockers, go back to Undertow.

C'mon guys, recommend AN album.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Gang of Four
    Entertainment. It's THE Gang Of Four album. All subsequent albums are diminishing returns on what you can find on this album (although some are only very slightly diminished).

My gateway to Bjork was Post. It strikes a nice balance between her more experimental tendencies and her straightforward stuff.

Arctic Monkeys = Whatever People Say I Am...
    Their first, and still their best. The subsequent albums are really good too.

The Black Keys = Thickfreakness
    Still my favorite Black Keys. Also my gateway into them back in 03 or 04 or whenever it came out. They have gotten much more proficient in the studio, and much more poppy as songwriters, but if you don't like this you won't like the rest of it. So many killer jams on here.

Here's one you didn't ask for: Galaxie 500 - On Fire. If you're working your way through classic indie, don't miss that one.
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Pulp - Different Class is the most accessible album and it's pretty much perfect. But some of their most exciting stuff is that which alienates, so keep an open mind when listening to Different Class and especially when pursuing their other works.
    Asobi Seksu - Citrus, because it's a middle point between their shoegazetastic debut and their softer, dreamier third album. Impeccable pop sensibilities and walls of sounds both devastating and beautiful; it offers the best of both worlds in terms of shoegaze/dream pop and infectious pop.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/17 Karen O at Masonic Lodge, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/20 Chvrches @ Tower Theatre, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Oh good I tried this in another thread to no avail. I love Getz/Gilberto and haven't been exposed to comparable bossa nova

Mogwai
    Happy Songs For Happy People

I also agree with Post being a good Bjork starting point.
    Last edited by Kyliediscope; 11-30-2010 at 01:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Bjork - Homogenic.
    It's just damn near perfect. Not one bad song. It's the one I always go back to the most for repeat listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

Arctic Monkeys - Humbug

Because every asshole will name Whatever People Say...

...no offense if you used that one.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

Tom Waits
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Coachella Junkie WhyTheLongFace's Avatar

...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Wake me up when Steve Angello wants me to make some fucking noise

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead
    source tags & codes

guided by voices

bee thousand is the obvious one, but alien lines is a good choice, as well.

REM: Reckoning

also, the advice above on Sonic Youth, Tom Waits, and Gang of Four is all very sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Machinefabriek
    Shuffle. A newer album from last year. It's a bit more sparse, but an easier entry point for him.

+ 1 to Lateralus for Tool and Thickfreakness for the black keys

in my opinion the only black keys album to skip is their first album the big come up. i don't care for that one. this is how i would go through the black keys discography as a newcomer:

1. Thickfreakness
    2. Attack and Release
    3. Rubber Factory
    4. Magic Potion
    5. Brothers
    6. Chulahoma (covers of junior kimbrough tracks, really an EP)

thick, rubber, a&r, and magic are all GENIUS records and really are the "black keys sound." don't get me wrong i love brothers, but its not really a duo album unlike all their previous stuff. a&r has a lot of non duo stuff on it but not to the extent that brothers does.

and for tool

1. lateralus
    2. aenima
    3. 10 K days
    4. undertow
    5. opiate
    6. salival

1. Kid A
    2. In Rainbows
    3. Amnesiac
    4. Ok Computer
    5. HTTT
    6. The Bends
    7. Pablo Honey
    RAPE STOVE

white power?!

ahahahahhaha
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The Replacements
    Beck (something other than Modern Guilt)
    The Kinks

The Replacements - Let it Be

They were more shambolic and loose before this album, after this one they got almost too professional and skillful sounding. Let it Be is their best work, and one of the best albums around. It's just a spectacular glimpse of a band at the top of their game.

Beck - Odelay

Might not be fair considering you'll recognize most of the songs on here, but it's Beck's most cohesive statement. He's got the psychedelic sample blending, the seemingly effortless genre-hopping, insanely catchy hooks, cool little clips and phrases of pop culture that pop up throughout, two turntables and a microphone. He has other fantastic albums, but many of them focus on one aspect of his work, whereas Odelay covers most of the spectrum in a spectacular way.

The Kinks - Are the Village Green Preservation Society

I really wanted to suggest something else that would have some of their early, well known singles, but really this is the Kinks album that you have to hear. The lyrics are strong, yearning for a simpler life while at the same time acknowledging the inevitable force of change. There aren't any hits off of this, but every song is great and catchy and memorable, and somehow they are made even better when listened to as a whole. I love listening to this album during Fall/Winter months, as it perfectly captures the sad nostalgia that those seasons inspire in me.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    The Kinks - Are the Village Green Preservation Society
    Yes.

That's a top 10 of all time album.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

+1 for Ænima

The Cars
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Mogwai = Rock Action
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Cat Power
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

I actually have a hard time getting through Village Green Preservation Society for some reason. Something Else was the one that really got me into the Kinks. Every single song is great and there's a diversity to the tracks that doesn't undercut the album's overall cohesiveness.

Moon Pix is probably the standard Cat Power intro record. It's pretty subdued and melancholy, more so than her later stuff, but the songwriting is ace throughout. "No Sense" gets me every time. The Covers Record might be a good alternate introduction since you'll be familiar with a lot of the songs but she really makes them her own.