Thread: anyone have/had a Best Buy credit card?

Default anyone have/had a Best Buy credit card?

I'm reading around the interwebs that the card sucks and all this, but read elsewhere that it's fine, so long as you pay stuff on time. But then read that even then its shady with charging stuff or messing credit up.

Just seeing if anyone has any first hand experience with it.

They have these financing options/no interest for X months and stuff that interest me.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

Default Re: anyone have/had a Best Buy credit card?

Dude, if you're concerned about it at all don't get it. If you've heard that it sucks from even a few people, why bother? There are plenty of credit cards you can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I think my folks use one and I feel like I've heard them complain about late fees when paying their bill before its due and having to call Best Buy to fix it all the time.

But it also seems like they get a lot of those reward coupons that are pretty cool. I don't know.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I used to work at Future Shop (owned by Best Buy in Canada). These cards are a good deal for the store, because the rate is lower than Visa / AmEx charge. They are a good deal for the buyer too, as long as you pay on time.

The main caveat is that their interest rate is higher, and you will be charged every bit of it retroactively if you fail to pay completely by the specified date. Lots of people don't, and that's how they make their money.

If you think you might not be able to pay it off in full by the deadline, use your VISA instead.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Dude, if you're concerned about it at all don't get it. If you've heard that it sucks from even a few people, why bother? There are plenty of credit cards you can get.
    The nature of the credit industry means that any card you look at more closely is going to have complaints. They all suck. Some may be more equal, but all credit cards blow and getting one is accepting that the means to a desirable and/or necessary end are probably not ideal.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 11-28-2010 at 10:50 AM.

My sister has this card. She had a nightmare when they told her she had 18 month 0% interest purchase. She paid on time all the time. At 12 months, they added all the back interest, then then started charging interest on the interest. It took multiple phone calls and trips to Best Buy, and about 8 months, to get her account straightened out. They kept telling her that the computer said this, and the computer said that. It must be right. She kept all of her documentation, and even then the people had no logic and didn't believe her. Finally, after she escalated it it a higher level, they cleared her account (she had paid it off months before). Then the next month she got another bill for interest on the interest she didn't owe. I mean, I'd avoid the card. They have customer no-service.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    The nature of the credit industry means that any card you look at more closely is going to have complaints. They all suck. Some may be more equal, but all credit cards blow and getting one is accepting that the means to a desirable and/or necessary end are probably not ideal.
    But, with his initial statement that basically sounds like what GPS just expanded on there, this doesn't sound like a card worth getting whatsoever. And, knowing how inept Best Buy is in most cases, I'd not trust them to operate a credit card any better.

I didn't mean get the card. I was responding to this:

If you've heard that it sucks from even a few people, why bother? There are plenty of credit cards you can get.
    And I meant that there's no credit card out there without horror stories, so he shouldn't expect to find one with a sparkling record. They're viable businesses that make money off you, not philanthropic organizations hoping to make sure you and your family have a merry Christmas without consequences.

Alright then, I'll pass.
    It just sounds like a hassle. Thanks for the replies.

I have other cards, but the no interest plans sounded like a good idea.
    But as GPS said with his sister, I just can't be bothered to fix all those errors and stuff that apparently other people had too.
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

For what it's worth - though I know a lot of people are anti-Target these days and have good reason to be - I have had a Target credit card for years and had to call customer service once for a problem that turned out to be my own fault, and they were very helpful and nice and deleted the charge completely even though they had full right to charge me under my contract. Seems like most of what you could get at Best Buy could be bought there.

This is missing gifs for explanation, Im confused.

read the fine print...

You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

You have a really nice plate collection, Gay.

July 21- Soundgarden- Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 30- Rage Against the Machine/Muse- LA Coliseum
    Oct 21- Portishead- Berkeley Greek
    Nov 18- Pixies- Fox Theater Bakersfield

Last time I had a Best Buy card I purchased software that allowed me to edit and complete a DVD project I was working on like super fast.

I didn't mean get the card. I was responding to this:

And I meant that there's no credit card out there without horror stories, so he shouldn't expect to find one with a sparkling record. They're viable businesses that make money off you, not philanthropic organizations hoping to make sure you and your family have a merry Christmas without consequences.
    You're reading my statement as a generalization. If specific people have said that the Best Buy card sucks, then he shouldn't get it and go to a card with a better reputation. I'm not saying that he'd find something with a sparkling record: he could probably find something that isn't "shady with charging stuff or messing credit up."

We bought a washer and dryer from Best Buy purely because there was a 0% for 24 month promotion. We made our payments on time every month via auto online bill pay from my bank and wrote one check in month 22 for the balance, giving ourselves a month of safety net in case they tried to shaqattack us with back-interest. We did not use the card for anything else and I closed it (only call I ever made to them) upon payoff of the washer and dryer.

It served the purpose; free money for 24 months.

You're reading my statement as a generalization. If specific people have said that the Best Buy card sucks, then he shouldn't get it and go to a card with a better reputation. I'm not saying that he'd find something with a sparkling record: he could probably find something that isn't "shady with charging stuff or messing credit up."
    And I'm saying that mistaken charges and general shadiness are an inherent part of the credit industry and he's going to run across those stories with any credit company.

And I'm saying that mistaken charges and general shadiness are an inherent part of the credit industry and he's going to run across those stories with any credit company.
    Which means that, as a result, he should make an informed decision based upon what he hears from friends and other reputable sources, correct? Like, for example, the fact that JD Powers has consistently recognized American Express as the card people are most satisfied with due to their quick customer service and excellent response to questionable charges. Just because it's an inherent part of the system doesn't mean some don't do it better than others.

I have a feeling we're arguing different things here.

Cards like the Best Buy one are great for managing your cost of funds. If you are going to make big purchases, these 12, 24, and 36 month interest-free deals are great from places like Best Buy and Home Depot are great for that as long as you don’t use them for routine transactions and you are overly conservative when complying with their terms. (Similar to my best-buy example above, I’ve had good experiences with Circuit City and Home Depot interest-free promotions.)

Cards from Banana Republic, Kohl’s, Macy’s, etc. where you get an extra 15% off that day’s purchase are a pain in the ass because I don’t want to keep them open and I always forget to pay the first bill and end up paying more in penalties than the discount I got on day one. I stopped participating in those.

For every-day transactions, I’d just stick with one Visa and one Amex with a good rewards program and a bank with good customer service.

Which means that, as a result, he should make an informed decision based upon what he hears from friends and other reputable sources, correct? Like, for example, the fact that JD Powers has consistently recognized American Express as the card people are most satisfied with due to their quick customer service and excellent response to questionable charges. Just because it's an inherent part of the system doesn't mean some don't do it better than others.

I have a feeling we're arguing different things here.
    We are, and we're not even doing it in an entertaining way. Let's cut our losses and go get some pie.

Deal. I'm gonna have Dutch Apple.

I've had a card from Best Buy a couple of times in my life. Pay everything off BEFORE the interest free date and it's like a free loan. It's always worked for big purchses for our house. Unlike Tiffanys, which makes you their friend for life, you drop off their system after a couple of years if you don't use it.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I haven't had an issue. But then again, I pay my shit on time. It's been rare that I've seen a CC company outright hose someone. It's more common that people don't pay their shit, then get upset when they get extra charges.

These offers are precisely how I got my new laptop after my last one died. I needed it immediately, they had a good offer. Boom!

Hmm, well now you guys are making me reconsider it.
    So, in theory, i shouldn't have a problem if i am buying something that costs about $1200 and want to pay it off within 3 to 4 months (even though they give you 12 or 24 months to pay in full).

I know that sounds like a dumb question (i know what a credit card is, durr), but between what some posters in this thread said, and misc. findings online, i'm not sure...

Oh, and did any of you guys get an annual fee for it?
    Last edited by HunterGather; 11-28-2010 at 03:41 PM.

It's not a dumb question. You need to be sure you are purchasing something that they are offering, as an example, 18 months of no interest. If you don't, you will be fucked Gotti style. The only issue that could possibly happen is that your purchase is not set up in the system for delayed interest. That will just require a phone call to correct. If you're totally paranoid, save the advertisment if something comes back at you.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I got one a couple years ago to buy a TV and I paid everything on time until the final month I forgot to pay the bill and they only charged me the interested for a month on the remaining balance. They even called to see if I was going to finish paying it off (which reminded me to pay it) and I did and everything was fine. I still use the card for purchases because they gave me a great deal on the APR and I have always had no problems with their customer service.

Whatever you do, don't go in to the store to resolve anything. Call call call, the 800 number. Bestbuy doesn't run the CC, I think it's Chase. Yeah, Chase.