Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safari Tents - what's the verdict?

Cool Safari Tents - what's the verdict?

Hello fellow Coachella fans...what's the verdict on the Safari Tents? We've been going to Coachella for 10 years and figure we deserve the splurge so we're doing the tent this year.

We know that they are crazy expensive but setting that aside - how was it? Good access? Good partying? Generally was it worth forking over that much cash for a once in a lifetime experience?

Lastly...just to make it that more of a deep breath decision, we've heard the tents will be $6,000 this year. God we hope that rumor is wrong.

Default Re: Safari Tents - what's the verdict?

I like camping in the main camping area. It's fun

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

if they're 6,000 just rent a nice RV instead. they do look nice though..
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Quote Originally Posted by SFOtoJFK View Post
    Hello fellow Coachella fans...what's the verdict on the Safari Tents? We've been going to Coachella for 10 years and figure we deserve the splurge so we're doing the tent this year.

We know that they are crazy expensive but setting that aside - how was it? Good access? Good partying? Generally was it worth forking over that much cash for a once in a lifetime experience?

Lastly...just to make it that more of a deep breath decision, we've heard the tents will be $6,000 this year. God we hope that rumor is wrong.
    The backstage pass that is included is damn near worth the price alone. I have had backstage access for every year since 2004. It is always cool to be backstage, but the sound is always better out in front of the stage. Being able to move around the Polo fields behind the stages was priceless this past year. So hard to move among the crowds. Go for it!!

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

If you have disposable income and can afford it, I would think it is indeed worth it for the backstage pass.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I would if I had the money. Especially if Daft Punk is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebreed View Post
    Daft Punk + Safari Tents = full of win!

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebreed View Post
    So you could be backstage while the crowd gets to look at the visual set up? Not that I don't agree that if I had the money I would do it, but that's the case with or without Daft Punk.
    Last edited by Distorted_Jungle; 11-29-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

i never understood the appeal of backstage. I guess I love being part of the crowd too much.
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 9 - Black Vice
    September 11 - Earthless
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 15 - Primus
    November 18 - Slayer

Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    i never understood the appeal of backstage. I guess I love being part of the crowd too much.
    People like to feel special.

I will be getting a safari tent for Coache11a, if anyone is interested in splurging about 1,000 (lets hope if prices stay the same) on a backstage wristband I have the tools to get it for you since safari residents can purchase backstage wristbands.

Or if anyone is crazy enough to pitch in for a safari tent lemme know. ($5,000 for 2 people = 2,500 each) then each additional person you wanna bring is $1,500 instead of $2,500.

This is all based on the previous price of $5,000 from Coachella 2010. Lets hope it doesn't change.

Have done Safari for the last two Coachella's and its awesome.

Definitely worth getting if you get four people in your tent, plus yes the wrist bands are the added bonus. Being backstage for some acts works and for an act like Daft Punk/Plastikman etc with visuals wouldn't.

Being on stage for this last year was a highlight (pardon my out of tune singing haha)

It also makes it easy to go from stage to stage via the back of the festival when you're in a rush.
    Dec: DJ Jazzy Jeff & Skillz, The Roots, Jack Johnson
    Jan: Field Day, Wolf + Lamb, Soul Clap, Medlar, Jacques Renault, Avicii
    Feb: St Jerome's Laneway Festival
    Apr: Coachella Arts & Music Festival
    Jul: Peanut Butter Wolf, Mako
    Sep: Kanye West, Listen Out Festival

Quote Originally Posted by sk8r408 View Post
    People like to feel special.
    i like the air conditioned shitters and free beer.

Looks like they may now be available via Valley Music Travel , still $5000.

http://valleymusictravel.com/coachella_tents.php

Thanks for the information! Big time thanks. We'll give them a call today.

@wazdog: That must of been a lot of fun! For the Coachella 2010 Safari tent package did you get "Artist Passes".

I know in different years they gave "side stage passes".

However, at least for the last year they went away from "Mainstage//Sidestage" to "Artist//Backstage".

thx

out of curiosity, those who get backstage passes, do you guys get to interact with the artists? or is it sort of an unspoken rule to give the artists their space and simply watch from the side?

What's the difference between the safari tent/backstage pass and the hotel/VIP pass?

VIP pass doesnt get you backstage, there is a separate VIP area with viewing of the stage. You also get access to an area that is shaded has couches and a full bar

Quote Originally Posted by LyricsForTheMind;
    VIP pass doesnt get you backstage, there is a separate VIP area with viewing of the stage. You also get access to an area that is shaded has couches and a full bar
    Just to clarify (this will be my first time) VIP = shaded couches and bar?

wewantmuse
    Re: Safari Tents - what's the verdict?
    out of curiosity, those who get backstage passes, do you guys get to interact with the artists? or is it sort of an unspoken rule to give the artists their space and simply watch from the side?
    Yes, you do!.

I've had backstage access for the past 4 years.

In particular, you get access to the artist trailers. Each day the bands that are playing that day hang out in front of their trailers. Actually, unless you know a particular band and their members, you'd never know exactly who aren't hanging out with. Most bands are very approachable and are stoked to be playing.

That being said, Headliners usually don't hang out as much as the smaller bands. And as the evening appraoches backstage access is limited to people with "super backstage pass". Headliners usually resist access to their list only.

That being said, backstage access is really awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by wewantmuse View Post
    gotta take it situation by situation. last year them crooked vultures had their own little compound backstage where they were hanging out with the family, etc. josh homme came out for a bit and was hanging out talking to people and at that point i felt comfortable approaching to chat. same with dave grohl. when he arrived he had his kids in tow and approaching an artist at that time is a total no-no in my book and hopefully in most everyone else's. later on he was cruising around so i went up to say "hi" and chat for a minute. you can also read body language and kinda tell if they are in a socializing mood or not.

my sis asked scarlett johannsen if she could get a pic with her after she joined jamc on stage one year and she said "i don't do pictures". case by case.

danny devito, though, totally bumrushed him. he is the coachella holy grail, couldn't pass up that chance.
    Last edited by JustSteve; 12-19-2010 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    danny devito, though, totally bumrushed him. he is the coachella holy grail, couldn't pass up that chance.
    Danny Devito is the Jack Nicholson of Coachella.

He rocks out with the Empire Pass!

Quote Originally Posted by keeshonjohnson View Post
    Just to clarify (this will be my first time) VIP = shaded couches and bar?
    Yes. Not worth it at all unless you happen to have a lot of disposable income and want comfy areas to chil in. You also have access to different restrooms than everyone. The bars oin the VIP areas are not open btw, alcohol is not included in the $300 price tag.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

its also good to note that only those with safari tents have access to that area. so while it'll be a quieter area, you can't bring your friends in there to party.

and i'm sure the backstage pass is good for air conditioned shitters, but free alcohol seems like a recipe for disaster unless you have good self control. plus, i'm an audiophile, so i cant stand how poor the music sounds from the side/back of the stage. i'd much rather be out front of the stages...

and there is usually so much good stuff to see that you'd definitely have to give up seeing some acts to be able to roam around backstage just to try to talk to artists that may or may not talk to you.
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Quote Originally Posted by LyricsForTheMind View Post
    Last year there were no couches that I know of and no stage viewing area. Unless I completely missed something, VIP was basically just an area with a full bar (not free) and nice bathrooms. Plus some roses and grass and shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Quote Originally Posted by sin213 View Post
    and there is usually so much good stuff to see that you'd definitely have to give up seeing some acts to be able to roam around backstage just to try to talk to artists that may or may not talk to you.
    Very good point, Sin. There are enough conflicts every year and I miss so much already that to give up seeing a band I'm really dying to catch, just to wander around and hope to see a very specific list of people that may be hiding from the heat anyway, would be kinda stupid.

Glad you said that, 'cause I was really starting to covet some backstage passes.

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    Last year there were no couches that I know of and no stage viewing area. Unless I completely missed something, VIP was basically just an area with a full bar (not free) and nice bathrooms. Plus some roses and grass and shit.
    There are multiple VIP areas, including very close to the main stage. The one you're talking about was over behind the Sahara.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by icnaxx View Post
    @wazdog: That must of been a lot of fun! For the Coachella 2010 Safari tent package did you get "Artist Passes".
    this year we did, only because security wasn't prepped on where you could go with the mainstage passes (last year we got mainstage). i was in a golf cart with the dudes from miike snow on the way to the mainstage and one of them goes 'what do you do' - whilst looking at my wristband and i was like 'um im just a party boy from sydney' haha

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve
    haha we did the same as well. he tried to clear a full golf cart so he could go home. and i go to the driver, 'we aint getting out, lets roll' and totally brushed him!
    Dec: DJ Jazzy Jeff & Skillz, The Roots, Jack Johnson
    Jan: Field Day, Wolf + Lamb, Soul Clap, Medlar, Jacques Renault, Avicii
    Feb: St Jerome's Laneway Festival
    Apr: Coachella Arts & Music Festival
    Jul: Peanut Butter Wolf, Mako
    Sep: Kanye West, Listen Out Festival

I am thinking about getting a safari tent for 2012, and I have a few questions.

1) Do people hang out like in reg camping? Not full on drum circles, but being friendly and socializing with other campers. Is it mostly order people, or 25-35 age group?

2) Are the showers like the ones in the main camp ground?

3) Are the restrooms air conditioned in the safari camp ground?

4) It says a small Coleman gas grill can be brought. Those suck and have an uneven burn surface. Any chance of getting a cheap ass $100 full sized gas grill in? (BBQ chicken, carne asada, & shrimp tacos)

5) Electricity - mini frig? Speakers/stereo for iPod?

6) The site also says "• Safari Tent attendees may visit the other onsite camping areas and will have the ability of bringing a limited number of guests back to their Safari Tent each evening." How many is that?

I got screwed out of going this year, my fault. I got the days off work, and my partner couldn't (teacher). The tickets sold out quick, plus I wanted to get tickets later so I wouldn't hear bitching for 3 months on why I was going without her..... Lol. I figure if I set aside $300-550 a month (4/2 person) we can get a Safari tent for Coachella 2012. That works out to 1-2 overtimes a month, or 2 months of 10 overtimes.

How about a huge (50x100) ac'd tent set up like a dorm that's shared with a bunch of people? Have twin, full & queen size beds either single or double occupancy with lockers next to them and a partition for privacy between beds. Say $1,250 for a twin (single), $1,500 for a full (single) or $2,000 of a full (double), $2,000 for a queen (single) or $2,500 for a queen (double). It would have the perks of a hotel, the fun of camping, and VIP or Artist passes. Shit, if they offered it with reg 3 day passes for around $700-1,250 (twin(single)-queen(double)) I would still be interested.
    "my ovaries are bigger than your testicles"

"Procrastination is like masturbation...It feels good until you realize you're screwing yourself"