Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Cocktail and Liquor Lounge

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Default Re: The Cocktail and Liquor Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Tubesock Shakur View Post
    Jesus Christ. Resize that fucking fruit loop vodka picture..... I'm gonna have to try that Gran Marnier Cherry. Or at least have one on reserve for few years.

Has anyone had any of the grain whiskeys that are coming on strong. I have had plenty of illegal moonshine but haven't gotten around to trying the legal versions yet.
    I have to express my love for Catdaddy Carolina Moonshine. It is amazingly delicious - it reminds me of eggnog, because of the spicing, but without that thick nasty cloying sweetness. It's so good straight at room temp, and it goes right to your brain, which is a plus for lushes like me. It's also a very clean moonshine with little to no resultant hangover. Highly recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Hi.

I'm late to this thread and I love booze.

Vodka - Chopin or Zubrowka
    Bourbon - Woodford Reserve
    Rum - Ron Matusalem, Goslings Black Seal or Krakken (mostly to shout "RELEASE THE KRAKKEN" when I pour a new drink after a few too many)
    Gin - Hendricks
    Tequila - Chamucos
    Scotch - Lagavulin
    Irish - Redbreast
    Canadian - Wisers
    Favorite cocktail - Old Fashioned

I've stumbled upon a old school bartenders tincture that is making a resurgence back into bars called shrubs. Generically 1 part fruit, 1 part vinegar, and 1 part sugar. It's a really neat twist to get the acidic component into a cocktail. I whipped up a balsamic black mission fig shrub. I've found that figs work really well with bourbon and black walnut bitters. I also made a strawberry-rhubarb balsamic shrub which is incredible with tequila and soda on a hot day.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    Bourbon - Woodford Reserve
    Gin - Hendricks
    Favorite cocktail - Old Fashioned
    These are my favorites as well, and Lagavulin is up there for Scotch though I prefer Laphroaig.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaxspear View Post
    I've stumbled upon a old school bartenders tincture that is making a resurgence back into bars called shrubs. Generically 1 part fruit, 1 part vinegar, and 1 part sugar. It's a really neat twist to get the acidic component into a cocktail. I whipped up a balsamic black mission fig shrub. I've found that figs work really well with bourbon and black walnut bitters. I also made a strawberry-rhubarb balsamic shrub which is incredible with tequila and soda on a hot day.
    My wife's favorite way to eat strawberries is by slicing them up, adding balsamic vinegar and sugar and letting them set for an hour. You can get a fair amount of juice left over and we've started drinking that with bourbon/gin/whatever and maybe some seltzer or somesuch. I didn't know there was a name for that sort of thing. Awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Strawberries with balsamic is delicious. I never thought to use it as a mixer. That sounds wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    These are my favorites as well, and Lagavulin is up there for Scotch though I prefer Laphroaig.

My wife's favorite way to eat strawberries is by slicing them up, adding balsamic vinegar and sugar and letting them set for an hour. You can get a fair amount of juice left over and we've started drinking that with bourbon/gin/whatever and maybe some seltzer or somesuch. I didn't know there was a name for that sort of thing. Awesome!
    The balsamic is a little overpowering to the fruit on it's own for my taste. Through trial and error I've found that doing half balsamic and half apple cider vinegar worked best. I do the cold method where I'll let the fruit macerate in sugar for a day or two, add the vinegar and then let it sit covered in room temperature for a week. It kind of makes it's own ecosystem because the ambient yeast turns the sugar into alcohol, and then the bacteria from the vinegar turns the alcohol into more vinegar. It really mellows out (in a good way) after time.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

For any tequila lovers, I'd highly suggest trying out Avion. It's quickly becoming my favorite over Don Julio 1942 and waaaaay cheaper at that. Go for the anejo while you're at it since it's generally not that much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by travelfan View Post
    It's a bit unfair though, when I change an MP3 halfway through a song at a party I get yelled at, whereas Skrillex probably got a blow job.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    For any tequila lovers, I'd highly suggest trying out Avion. It's quickly becoming my favorite over Don Julio 1942 and waaaaay cheaper at that. Go for the anejo while you're at it since it's generally not that much more.
    Don Julio is probably my favorite.... I'll have to try Avion out! Strange that I haven't heard of it... I worked at BevMo a couple years back. :P

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Strawberries with balsamic is delicious. I never thought to use it as a mixer. That sounds wonderful.
    We do it as an appetizer with basil and goat cheese, place atop an oven toasted baguette slice.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    We do it as an appetizer with basil and goat cheese, place atop an oven toasted baguette slice.
    Yummmmmmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

Oh dear sweet jesus, how have I never seen this thread, being the liquor loving girl that I am?

1) Nuts, fruit and moonshine. I discovered moonshine at this year's Coachella, in fact, while camping with a fine couple from Texas that I met on this board. It's my new favorite drunk. I was sick from a cold the week before, and didn't recover in time, so the dust from the first weekend really got me so bad that I could barely eat solids the whole weekend. I survived on trail mix and smoothies spiked with moonshine. She brought a legal version, finally available at our liquor stores in Utah- Midnight Moon. I've tried Apple Pie and Cherry. Soooooooooooo good. The drunk totally gets you all crazy loco in the membrane, I can vouch that there is no hangover... and I love it.

2) Now if we're talking liquor as an ingredient in delightful treats, I highly suggest Strawberry mango tequila lime basil sorbet. The pastry chef at the fancy resort I used to work at made it in a nitrogen bar. She topped it with a raspberry coulis and served it in a mini waffle cone and painted the inside with chocolate and crushed roasted hazelnuts. Quite possibly the most wonderful thing I've put in my mouth.

3) Strawberries with balsamic and chevre and basil- atop rosemary seasoned baguette... possibly the second most wonderful.
    Last edited by djbionik; 10-24-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Holy shit Bionik! we gotta shine it up at coachella next year!

Bought the blueberry kind earlier today for the weekend...I've had the OG, Cranberry and Cherry so far and gawddamn! they are so smoooooth and scary good
    Loooooove the Midnight Moon

If you want to "drink with my bitches" you're more than welcome- I always travel with a well stocked bar. I plan on bringing my blender next year.

Quote Originally Posted by birdiearch View Post
    Don Julio is probably my favorite.... I'll have to try Avion out! Strange that I haven't heard of it... I worked at BevMo a couple years back. :P
    It's the tequila that Turtle was selling.

Quote Originally Posted by Miroir Noir View Post
    Quelle catastrophe!
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    Quelle catastrophe!
    Indeed!
    I know I'm doing my share. What's everyone else's excuse?

PS- Mitch, have you been to Whiskey Street on Main? Yowza, new fave bar, BarX look out.

Hey, I'm doing my small part, too. I drink only occasionally, but when I do... it's bourbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

Good luck and Godspeed. That shit is delicious.
    06,11,12,13,14(1+2)

Damn. I wish I could get my hands on some of that. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

LA, Southern California fool-the west coast.

Just had some at my sisters wedding. That is some real good shit. Delicious.

There was a full bar specifically dedicated to bourbon at the wedding. It was glorious.

No dice. They didn't disclose which stores would have (the extremely limited) supply, and I guessed the wrong affluent neighborhood to randomly try my luck at. Sounds like they had around fifty bottles for general retail sale in the entire state. Disappointing, though I did get to chat up a whole bunch of cool whiskey guys in line.

The good news is that the restaurants and bars in town got an allocation, so I'll at least be able to try some Pappy in the near future.

The worst part about the Pappy craze is the fallout for Weller 12 being impossible to get, as well.
    *based upon tedious fact checking.

Yep, I've looked in vain for that one as well.

Also, this is cool:

I snuck some when I worked in Deer Valley. I wonder which liquor stores actually had them. I'm embarassed to admit that I've gotten to be quite good friends with the retailers at the Sugarhouse and Avenues stores. Mitch. I'm telling you.. Whiskey Street. On Main Street. Whiskey paradise.

So the story is this: it randomly and without warning shows up yesterday on the 3rd west wine store, sells out instantly. Becomes news story, DABC says they'll put their remaining (unspecified) inventory on sale today when the stores open at 11:00. The 3rd east wine store ends up with 30 bottles, and the Cottonwood Heights store ended up with an unspecified (likely smaller) number. That was it. I lined up at the Holladay wine store, thinking it would be a likely candidate; if I had guessed one town over, I would have been correct.

I need to check out Whiskey Street; I like to avoid places until the initial buzz wears off, but maybe I can just check it out on a week night sometime.

Also

Some in line at the State Wine Store on Thursday admitted they didn’t have any particular affinity for bourbon, although at least one planned to gift a bottle to a family member.

Ugh

Black Maple Hill is a really good bourbon, and has been my go to for some time now
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

pfff. While I'd have loved to get my hands on the Pappy, I just make friends with people who bartend in higher places than I do and I bribe them for the extra hooch. I love having flasks. Like a punk who eats from a silver spoon.

As far as Whiskey Street, I don't blame you for wanting to avoid the first round. It was mad crowded the times I've been- and when I left there was a line out the door of people waiting to get in... fuck that. But the selection is top notch, and I know half the staff, so I loved it immediately. Music is good, ambiance is chill. Food is meh. Don't get the "stuffed peppers" cuz they're not. Still, go. It's fantastic.