View Poll Results: The Clash vs. The Police

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Clash

    52 81.25%
  • The Police

    12 18.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 55 of 55

Thread: The Clash vs. The Police

  1. #31
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,540

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Any pseudo Clash fan needs to see this:


  2. #32
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,951

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Is this a serious statement? You think that because the Clash wrote some political songs, then all of their songs have to be political? DumbGuyCM

    Also, yeah, "Should I Stay or Should I Go" is Mick Jones singing, not Joe. Bad comparison.
    Wasn't aware.

    I guess the lesson learned here is that next time instead of bringing up real thoughts I have about bands, I'll just nod my head and like what everyone else likes and react exactly how everyone else reacts.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  3. #33
    old school
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,983

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Or just stop making insanely stupid comparisons.

  4. #34
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,846

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Wasn't aware.

    I guess the lesson learned here is that next time instead of bringing up real thoughts I have about bands, I'll just nod my head and like what everyone else likes and react exactly how everyone else reacts.
    Getting the facts right is not the same as conforming with the crowd.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  5. #35
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,951

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    And holding onto a band for nostalgic reasons doesn't make them the greatest band ever.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  6. #36
    old school
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,983

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Yeah, the Beatles suck when you actually sit down and think about it. DumbGuyCM is right!

  7. #37
    Member wstsidela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    1,734

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    I saw them both in their prime. No competition. The Clash tore that shit up.

    "Well, that's just like, you know... your opinion, man"

  8. #38
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,846

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    And holding onto a band for nostalgic reasons doesn't make them the greatest band ever.
    Yeah, I haven't listened to any new music since 1985.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  9. #39
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,540

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    How is liking The Clash nostalgic? They are as relevant today as ever.

  10. #40
    Coachella Junkie getbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Palo Alto
    Posts
    8,618

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police





    fuck springsteen he's going put out two we are going put out three!!!!!!
    Translation

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

    Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14


    Last.fm





  11. #41
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,951

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by downingthief View Post
    How is liking The Clash nostalgic? They are as relevant today as ever.
    What I meant by that is that the most outspoken Clash devotees on this board (TomAZ, stuporfly, JustSteve) all seem to have grown up with the band. And let's face it, there's a band or two that each one of us put on too high of a pedestal that we love primarily because it's what influenced us at a young age.

    And I get why the Clash are revered at the level that they are. I just don't have very much of a tie to them, that's all.

    I'm kind of like the kid in high school these days who doesn't see why Nirvana was a big deal. To me, I can't imagine how anyone could think that. But it's because I grew up enduring hair metal and the other bullshit, and I witnessed firsthand Kurt and co. blowing all of that to hell.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  12. #42
    Coachella Junkie getbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Palo Alto
    Posts
    8,618

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Translation

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

    Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14


    Last.fm





  13. #43
    old school
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,983

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    What I meant by that is that the most outspoken Clash devotees on this board (TomAZ, stuporfly, JustSteve) all seem to have grown up with the band. And let's face it, there's a band or two that each one of us put on too high of a pedestal that we love primarily because it's what influenced us at a young age.

    And I get why the Clash are revered at the level that they are. I just don't have very much of a tie to them, that's all.

    I'm kind of like the kid in high school these days who doesn't see why Nirvana was a big deal. To me, I can't imagine how anyone could think that. But it's because I grew up enduring hair metal and the other bullshit, and I witnessed firsthand Kurt and co. blowing all of that to hell.
    Yeah, no. The Clash is one of my favorite bands and they broke up before I was born.

  14. #44
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,846

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    What I meant by that is that the most outspoken Clash devotees on this board (TomAZ, stuporfly, JustSteve) all seem to have grown up with the band. And let's face it, there's a band or two that each one of us put on too high of a pedestal that we love primarily because it's what influenced us at a young age.
    I think you're right and you're wrong here. No doubt people make intense emotional attachments with bands at a certain age (let's say, late teens) that stick with them for life. By that age, a person has (mostly, hopefully) outgrown the more childish tastes and has developed enough of an ear/mind for music that they can fully appreciate stuff that might have escaped them before. And so the first time you hear something that totally fulfills the potential of the genre, something that is a fully realized masterful work, it's gonna blow you away. The first few times you are fully engaged in something new and something great, it will have a profound affect that will color the way you view things the rest of your life.

    And yes, this is how I view The Clash, Talking Heads, and Elvis Costello. Probably a few others. Through the lens of this sort of experience.

    To dismiss that as mere nostalgia I think misses the point entirely. Nostalgia is something else altogether. Nostalgia implies a yearning for the past, a wish that things today were like they used to be. That's not me at all, and I don't think it's stuporfly or JustSteve either. I mean, yeah, 99.99% of my age cohort are that way, no doubt. Very few of us have tried to keep up. But I have, or at least I have tried, with mixed results I suppose. I don't wish it were 1982. I just like some of the music from then. I also like some of the music from 2010. Did you read my Titus Andronicus thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  15. #45
    Loveable Curmudgeon TallGuyCM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Hermosa Beach
    Posts
    19,951

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Yeah, nostalgia was prob the wrong word to use. But you get what I mean. Thanks for the explanation.

    And yes, your Titus thread is solid. Coincidentally enough, that's another band that I like a good amount but am not head over heels for, haha.
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)


    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

    Twitter, if you dare

  16. #46
    old school downingthief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Scottsdale, Az
    Posts
    5,540

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I think you're right and you're wrong here. No doubt people make intense emotional attachments with bands at a certain age (let's say, late teens) that stick with them for life. By that age, a person has (mostly, hopefully) outgrown the more childish tastes and has developed enough of an ear/mind for music that they can fully appreciate stuff that might have escaped them before. And so the first time you hear something that totally fulfills the potential of the genre, something that is a fully realized masterful work, it's gonna blow you away. The first few times you are fully engaged in something new and something great, it will have a profound affect that will color the way you view things the rest of your life.

    And yes, this is how I view The Clash, Talking Heads, and Elvis Costello. Probably a few others. Through the lens of this sort of experience.

    To dismiss that as mere nostalgia I think misses the point entirely. Nostalgia is something else altogether. Nostalgia implies a yearning for the past, a wish that things today were like they used to be. That's not me at all, and I don't think it's stuporfly or JustSteve either. I mean, yeah, 99.99% of my age cohort are that way, no doubt. Very few of us have tried to keep up. But I have, or at least I have tried, with mixed results I suppose. I don't wish it were 1982. I just like some of the music from then. I also like some of the music from 2010. Did you read my Titus Andronicus thread?
    Well stated, Tom. Feel exactly the same way.

  17. #47
    Coachella Junkie getbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Palo Alto
    Posts
    8,618

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police



    another great song from the clash
    Translation

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

    Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14


    Last.fm





  18. #48
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,846

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    fuck springsteen he's going put out two we are going put out three!!!!!!
    In 1981 I wrote a review of Sandinista! for the college rag, and I made pretty much exactly this precise point. I said that yeah there's a lot of filler on Sandinista! but there's a lot of good stuff too, and it costs $5 less than The River, and so even though The River may be more consistent throughout, doesn't the low price have to figure into the value equation somewhere? The review was not well received because people thought I should have talked about the actual music more.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  19. #49
    Coachella Junkie getbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Palo Alto
    Posts
    8,618

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Tomaz i hope as a clash fan u have seen "The Future is Unwritten".It's one of the best films i've ever watch as a autobiographic film and it's about Joe Strummer.The crazy part they use this audio of joe strummer describing his life from that BBC radio thing he had going.
    Translation

    Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

    Jack White @ Bill .... 08/22/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14


    Last.fm





  20. #50

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    This is kind of a weird poll. The Clash have more critical respect but for me it's The Police. My drum instructor turned me onto Stewart Copeland as a teenager and there was no looking back. Saw them 4 times on their reunion tour including dress rehearsal and opening night in Vancouver. It was a dream come true, even if it was a cash grab...

  21. #51
    Coachella Junkie Miroir Noir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Zip City
    Posts
    7,349

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    In 1981 I wrote a review of Sandinista! for the college rag, and I made pretty much exactly this precise point. I said that yeah there's a lot of filler on Sandinista! but there's a lot of good stuff too, and it costs $5 less than The River, and so even though The River may be more consistent throughout, doesn't the low price have to figure into the value equation somewhere? The review was not well received because people thought I should have talked about the actual music more.
    Responding to a message from a year and a half ago . . . doesn't Bruce get extra credit in retrospect for all of that incredible River-era material that ended up on disc two of Tracks? Seriously, this is the fucking music that didn't make The River:





    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    To you guys I say Wat?????????? Off to ?????? ....... cr****
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    It's hard to argue with that.

  22. #52
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    narcicisco
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    great thread. apparently there's going to be a little festival this summer remembering the 10th anniversary of Joe's death (has it really been that long?)
    Strummer of Love

    also, ever since Coachella 2010 when the Gorillaz played (with Mick and Paul in the band) its been a personal fantasy for Coachella to host an "All-Star tribute to the Clash". It would be Mick, Paul and Topper joined by a set of all-star guest musicians belting out Clash songs for a couple of hours.
    Coachella vet: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1

  23. #53
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,846

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by ectomort@mac.com View Post
    great thread. apparently there's going to be a little festival this summer remembering the 10th anniversary of Joe's death (has it really been that long?)
    Strummer of Love

    Holy shit. I must go. Damn. I must go.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

  24. #54
    Member santasutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    2,239

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Quote Originally Posted by GaragePoet View Post
    "The Only Band That Matters" or Sting & Co.?
    It was Stewart Copeland's band. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

    I was a real Police nut and saw them a dozen times or so between 1980 and 1986 and I thought they made one album too many. But so did the Clash. (Awaiting TomAZ's bitter defense of "Cut the Crap." )

    Clash live show (only got to see them 3 times) blows anything by the Police away. First three record from both bands could make my desert island box depending on my mood swings.

    I voted Clash.

  25. #55
    Peaceful Oasis TomAz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Zenith, Winnemac
    Posts
    40,846

    Default Re: The Clash vs. The Police

    Cut the Crap does not exist. Never heard of it. Nothing to see here, move along.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Similar Threads

  1. Any Clash fans out there?
    By brando4n82 in forum Music Lounge
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 08-20-2012, 10:57 AM
  2. DUB POLICE!
    By mittens4kittens in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 03:44 PM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 01:16 PM
  4. The Police
    By lolwut in forum Rumors/Gossip/Wish List
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-15-2009, 04:37 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 06:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •