Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone catch that free show on the 101 today?

Default Anyone catch that free show on the 101 today?

Sorta surprised they didn't get shot.

Assholes.

In the land where publicity stunts are daily fare, it's hard to grab the attention of Los Angeles residents, but messing with traffic (as President Obama recently learned when he was in town) is a start. Add a local music band that decided to park its truck diagonally across three lanes of southbound traffic on the 101 Freeway, hop out and hold an impromptu (free!) concert, and you've got a stunt that, well, stopped traffic.

Three audacious and now arrested musicians scrambled atop their truck, plugged in their guitars and launched into a rendition of a song called wait for it "Traffic Jam 101."

Fittingly, their concert caused a jam Tuesday just south of the Sunset Boulevard exit. Late-morning traffic slowed to a crawl with only a few right lanes left open to get around the spectacle. Some drivers said the snarl added as much as an hour to their commute and several said they missed appointments.

Get breaking news alerts delivered to your mobile phone. Text BREAKING to 52669.

"This was really bizarre. A rock band blocking one of the busiest freeways in L.A.," said Steve Whitmore, spokesman for the L.A. County Sheriff's Department, who was driving on the freeway when the incident unfolded. "I thought I'd seen everything in L.A."

Authorities say the musicians include at least two members of an Orange County rock band called Imperial Stars Christopher Wright, a vocalist, and Keith Yackey, a guitarist. A third musician, David Paul Hale, who was arrested, is not listed on the band's website which names five members. The band's management did not return phone messages.

Although the band which consists of two vocalists, two guitarists, and a drummer has played at clubs around the area, the freeway appears to be its biggest and most ambitious venue to date.

Reviews were mixed. And none had anything to do with the quality of the music.

"File under idiotic promotion," tweeted @musictrenches.

Some had advice: "Causing a traffic jam will not get you fans," tweeted @SoCassandra.

Others were kinder, sprinkling their tweets with "LOL"s and rebuking those who were annoyed.

"All those who complained are lame. LA is full of whining people who whine for just about anything," Hollywood Kev posted on the Times' L.A. Now blog. "Imperial Stars just became my favorite group of all time."

They aren't the first music group to perform on a non-traditional stage. The trend began with New Orleans jazz musicians who promoted their shows by playing music on the back of flatbed trucks. Taking a page from that playbook, the Rolling Stones rolled out their 1975 North American tour by playing "Brown Sugar" on the back of a flatbed as it slowly rolled down New York's 5th Avenue with a gaggle of fans, journalists and other curiosity seekers in tow.

U2 played on the rooftop of a downtown L.A. building in 1987 for a music video for the song "Where the Streets Have No Name". During the course of their eight-song set, large crowds thronged the surrounding streets, and police attempted to shut down the shoot for safety reasons.

The freeway musicians didn't have more than about 20 minutes to perform before they were swarmed by Los Angeles Police Department officers, followed by California Highway Patrol officers and Fire Department personnel. The driver of the truck apparently fled the scene with the keys, so the CHP had to call in a tow truck.

A ladder was propped against the band's truck so the musicians could climb down. Northbound motorists crawling up the freeway gawked at the spectacle on the opposite side. A driver in a pickup waved cheerily as he drove by.

The band members were arrested on suspicion of a medley of criminal counts malicious and willful disturbance by loud noise, willful obstruction of public officers or emergency medical personnel, committing an act injuring the public health, and the old standby, unlawful assembly.

"The Imperial Stars are committed to benefiting the displaced children of America through the voice of music," reads the mission statement on the band's website. (Proceeds from sales of "Traffic Jam 101" go to "helping the Homeless Children of America" the website says.)

Of course, the short concert may have inadvertently displaced more children those stuck with their parents in traffic.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Default Re: Anyone catch that free show on the 101 today?

next time use a PA that doesn't have the sonic latency of an average car horn you fucking morons...

Coachella Junkie

Wow. I don't even know now how to describe something like that.

Fuck those guys.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I can't even begin to describe the murderous rage I would have been in if i was sitting there witnessing that bullshit when i'm trying to get to work in the morning. Holy shit.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I probably would have had to get out of my car and break their equipment once I got to where they were. Fuckin morons.

I blame Lady Gaga, now people will do the most retarded shit to get famous.

What did they expect to happen, thousands of new fans leaving their car and asking for autographs? Fuck these guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

Why did the people in traffic not rise as a whole and murder these dicks? Don't fuck with traffic in LA, it's bad enough as it is.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

vinylmartyr

Probation. it's a misdemeanor.

Imperial Stars will headline Coachella.
    Friday Lou Reed, Modest Mouse,Beach House,Infected Mushroom, Johnny Marr,Wolfgang Gartner, Four Tet, TNGT, Earl Sweatshirt, Lee Scratch Perry, Dam Funk

Saturday
    the XX, New Order, Knife Party, Violent Femmes, SMD, Major LAzer, 2 Chainz, Danny Brown, Booka Shade, Bingo Players, Pusha T, Trash Talk

Sunday
    RHCP, Nick Cave, Vampire Weekend, Social D, Wu Tang,Eric Prydz, Lumineers, James Blake, Grimes, Raider Klan, Roni Size, Smith Westerns

old school

Holy shiiiit look at the catfish looking asshole. I cant tell if hes looking at me our the poor mans shaun white........Wait....is that shaun white.

Imperial Stars. Mojave Tent.

Douchebags in space.

Coachella Junkie

Astro-cat just took a shit.

Coachella Junkie

Sources familiar with the case said that city prosecutors ultimately settled on the conspiracy charge, in part based on the conclusion that the truck used in the stunt had a trap door and the roof was reinforced with wood.

ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahaha

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ErikFlyingV View Post
    I blame Lady Gaga, now people will do the most retarded shit to get famous.

What did they expect to happen, thousands of new fans leaving their car and asking for autographs? Fuck these guys.
    Right, because the obvious leap in logic from wearing crazy shit is committing misdemeanors.

Were you trying to appear insightful
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I too am having a difficult time finding the link between this kind of retarded shit and anything that Lady Gaga ever did "to get famous"
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Maybe it's the "road kill" dress?

ISWYDT
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I don't speak geek.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    Maybe it's the "road kill" dress?
    i am pretty sure she was already famous when she did that
    last.fm

Men in their 30's holding on to the hopes that rap/rock will have its big come back and they can tour with their idols Fred Durst and Kid Rock. Shine on you crazy diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Supre doesnt know since he's usually in the bathroom going away at the glory hole. Noms Nom nom noms oooooo i'm taking a picture of that beast....****snap*** back to yum yums nom nom noms

Decent 34th post.

^

fucking idiots.

I like the comments under that article. The 101 needs a pop up blocker.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

you've gotta be a stoned ass schmuck to pull some shit like this off.
    1L☮e.

stepup2stepout

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    The 12 year old retard who put that video together should be shot together with the band.

Even Christian Audigier thinks their shirts are hideous.

http://www.imperialstars.com/wordpress/?page_id=18
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale