Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Albums you think should be their band's most critically acclaimed but aren't

Default Albums you think should be their band's most critically acclaimed but aren't

I was thinking about this the other day, interested in which ones some of you think of. Just list albums that aren't a band's most critically acclaimed, but you think they should be (or you simply prefer them).

A few for me:

Animal Collective - Feels

The Microphones - It Was Hot, We Stayed In the Water

Default Re: Albums you think should be their band's most critically acclaimed but aren't

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is definitely Pavement's most critically acclaimed album.

Default Re: Albums you think should be their band's most critically acclaimed but aren't

I think Crooked Rain/Slanted & Enchanted is a critical tossup in terms of "most acclaimed."

QFT

Also, not necessarily my favorite, but I think criminally underrated:

Four Tet (3/6) ~ St Vincent (3/20) ~ Stephen Malkmus/Speedy Ortiz (3/28) ~ Factory Floor (4/15) ~ Sasquatch (7/4-6)

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is definitely Pavement's most critically acclaimed album.
    Not according to every "Best of..." list I've ever seen. Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, AllMusic, they all champion Slanted and ENchanted.

I don't remember ever reading a preference for Crooked anywhere, I'd be surprised if you could show a links that say otherwise.

Lateralus i/o Aenima
    The Fragile i/o The Downward Spiral
    Life After Death i/o Ready to Die

a band/album that just should not be forgotten
    "Choke on that Causality!"

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I don't give a shit if the Killers are playing; I'll watch something else-even if it's watching the poor churro man get trampled by stoners.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    Not according to every "Best of..." list I've ever seen. Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, AllMusic, they all champion Slanted and ENchanted.

I don't remember ever reading a preference for Crooked anywhere, I'd be surprised if you could show a links that say otherwise.
    From Pitchfork and AllMusic they both received 10/10s, and on the Best of Pitchfork list, I think Crooked Rain was like #8 while Slanted & Enchanted was #5. You could make the argument I suppose, but it the end, I really think it's a tossup.

Four Tet (3/6) ~ St Vincent (3/20) ~ Stephen Malkmus/Speedy Ortiz (3/28) ~ Factory Floor (4/15) ~ Sasquatch (7/4-6)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Life After Death i/o Ready to Die
    Whooaaaaa... I strongly, strongly disagree.

4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/19 Lykke Li @ The Theatre at Ace, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/18-22 Sled Island

Though it is still critically acclaimed, i think this is their best album. "Dig Me Out" doesnt even compare. Though "The Woods" comes a close second.

I am not a huge Pulp fan but I love this album more than any other, my friends who are big Pulp fans are more into His N Hers and This Is Hardcore than this one. I dont get it.

My favorite album of his, when it first came out people laughed that I liked it so much. But now it seems people are coming around.

To be honest, I couldn't give 1/10 of a shit about Pulp or Morrissey, but that's an interesting call for Sleater-Kinney. I'll have to give it more listens, because I like that one but it'd be my 4th favorite behind The Woods, Call the Doctor and Dig Me Out, in that order.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Fine. I'll bite the bullet and be that guy.

Much more forward-thinking and original than OK Computer. Remains my favorite of their work to this day.
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall
    5/06 - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Orpheum (?)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I thought that was their most critically acclaimed, but I guess there's a good argument against that.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    This is a fucking horrendous album. I remember listening to it and trying really hard to like it but soon realizing it was fucking awful and I would never like it because of my perfect taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

I hoped that was a joke, since Frank posted it and I don't picture him liking that queef of an album.

I was hoping so too. But you never know on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    The Weeknd will probably play some secret show nobody knows about cause he is even more cryptic than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    This is a fucking horrendous album. I remember listening to it and trying really hard to like it but soon realizing it was fucking awful and I would never like it because of my perfect taste.
    I think he's joking, or at least I hope he is. Because Pinkerton is definitely the right answer on this one (in my eyes).

EDIT: The fact that I had to think about it before realizing it was a joke really says a lot about some people's taste on this board..

This one might get me into trouble but I prefer Favourite Worst Nightmare over Whatever People Say I am. Arctic Monkeys don't seem to be wearing their influences as much on their 2nd record. I also find tracks like Flourescent Adolescent, 505, and Old Yellow Bricks to be an improvement in songwriting for the band.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    This is a fucking horrendous album. I remember listening to it and trying really hard to like it but soon realizing it was fucking awful.
    I went through the same thing with this album. I forced myself many times to sit down and listen to it, thinking I would eventually enjoy the album.

Tool - Lateralus
    Radiohead- Amnesiac
    Nirvana - In Utero
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Quote Originally Posted by MuseRadio View Post
    Radiohead- Amnesiac
    Nirvana - In Utero
    Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    Mad props.

Okay, for a serious answer...

Excluding the live album, of course.
    4/27 Ghost B.C. @ Fonda, 4/30 Mono @ Troubadour, 5/3 I Break Horses @ Bootleg Theater, 5/19 Lykke Li @ The Theatre at Ace, 5/28-6/1 Primavera Sound, 6/18-22 Sled Island

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Fine. I'll bite the bullet and be that guy.

Much more forward-thinking and original than OK Computer. Remains my favorite of their work to this day.
    I prefer it to OK Computer definitely. But then I prefer Hail To The Thief to either.

O man i'm going to get a lot of shit for this one.

ok this one might be a lie for the fact i haven't heard every single frank zappa album

Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's 04/26/15
    Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch 05/02-04/14
    The Decemberist @ Crystal Ballroom 05/30/14
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds @ The Warfield 07/07/14

Last.fm
    Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    thanks for whatever you did in mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Without a doubt.

I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie

lol. another "whats your favorite album by a given artist" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Without a doubt.
    Close but not quite. This album \ / showed so much ambition and a desire to really stretch out. How much is U2 and how much is Eno though is debatable. This was supposed to be a U2 album but Island were spooked and wanted it under a different name.

Last edited by MarkO; 10-12-2010 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post

And the correct answer to 'what is Pavements best album?' is, of course, Wowee Zowee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

In the very near future, the OP's intent of having people pick albums that should have been the most critically acclaimed (instead of just picking an album that is their favorite but isn't the most popular) will be forgotten.

last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare