Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago, IL

Default Chicago, IL

Every other godforsaken city in this country has its own thread, and now so do we. Cheap rent! Love/hate relationships with public transportation! Miserably hot summers and miserably cold winters! Obnoxious sports fans for consistently losing teams! Steve Albini! Pitchfork! Tons of fucking parks!

I'm pretty set on seeing the LCD/Hot Chip show. Would it be worth it to pick up a ticket on CL for the sold out Aragon show or just spring for the Riviera show?

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Default Re: Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

I fuckin love Chicago, I plan on moving there within a year or 2... would love to live right near Wrigleyville. Any other good parts of town, close to downtown/sports/music area?
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

HOUSE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

I don't know anything about Chicago really, but when I visited Wicker Park seemed pretty cool.

Plus, really good fucking art in the form of the AIC and the Museum of Contemporary Art and the Smart and stuff.

And let me repeat: Steve Albini!

Lots of jazz, right?
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

My favorite city in the country
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Wheels Of Cheese

Cool city.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Yea I think a lot of men think they are bad ass, but a 12 year old with a AK can take me out I know ...... cr****

old school

I'm moving there also. Hopefully soon.

You do not want to live in Wrigleyville. Parts of Bucktown and Wicker Park are cool. Logan Square is starting to develop into a pretty cool area as well. There is always something to do. There are always like 5 bands to see on any given night

Local H

Last edited by shotglass75; 10-10-2010 at 03:49 PM.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

ER? And the cast of ER discussing things with increasing intensity while waiting for the L?

I spent 7 years in Evanston. That's where I saw Genesis, John Waters, Jethro Tull, Marcel Marceau, and the Ramones. I wouldn't live in Chicago again, though. Too cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I live in Logan Square and love it. It's pretty cheap because it shares some borders with some ghettos, the Blue Line cuts right through it, and there's plenty of cheap dive bars and shit.

Pete went for his daughter's graduation from the Naval academy a year or so ago. Called to tell me it was -36*...WTF is -36*??? And digging your car out from under the snow? I don't think so...
    Of course, afew weeks ago I'm sure people thought we were all nuts when it hit 124* here.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Paul don't move to Wrigglyville, it's really yuppie. Logan Square is cool. Wicker Park is too, but it's flooded with hipsters now. The polish area (that I can't remember the name of) is awesome, I think it's starting to become more shady though. A friend lives in boystown and that's really nice as well.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Boystown. Oh yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Paul don't move to Wrigglyville, it's really yuppie. Logan Square is cool. Wicker Park is too, but it's flooded with hipsters now. The polish area (that I can't remember the name of) is awesome, I think it's starting to become more shady though. A friend lives in boystown and that's really nice as well.
    Boystown pretty much is Wrigleyville. Basically, you want to be as close as possible to the Blue Line/Milwaukee Ave northwest of downtown or the Red Line north of downtown without ending up in way north in Rogers Park or whatever. I really haven't spent any time in the South Side so I don't know about that. Pilsen seems pretty cool if just a little out of the way from a lot of the hipster haunts and music venues. I really need to explore the city more.

True story, it was going to be either chicago or SF. I love that city but the harsh winters is what drew me away. I really dont think I could handle such cold
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Boystown is right by Wriglyville, but it's not quite as bad

Thanks for the advice guys....I think my wife said she was lookin at real estate in Wicker Park... how far is it from downtown and the major venues? Thats going to be a big factor in to our decision and the subway lines... my niece and her husband live I think around Addison or Belmont on the Red Line...and if im thinking of the right place, that was a really nice part of town from what I saw....
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

old school

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Paul don't move to Wrigglyville, it's really yuppie. Logan Square is cool. Wicker Park is too, but it's flooded with hipsters now.
    over the past 5 years, the stroller moms have priced the hipsters out of wicker park, so they all now live in logan square. true story.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

Yeah, I would avoid the hell out of Wrigleyville if I were you. Annoying place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. Boystown/Lakeview is fun, but is overlapping with Wrigleyville more and more, good for shopping and partying, bad for sleeping. Wicker park = tight pants & fancy haircuts, decent shops and convenient to most anywhere. The best bet is to move into the lesser known areas; Logan Square is hardly "lesser known" at this point, but is still the conjoined twin of Wicker Park & Bucktown, with much cheaper rent, same with Ukranian Village (just research your street first.) I live in Berwyn, which is a suburb just west of the city (and just just south of Oak Park) I still have convenient access to both the blue and green line so it doesn't really feel like I'm outside of the city.
    "Yes, I am indeed beautiful! Sometimes I sit and wonder, in my artless Japanese way, why it is that I am so much more attractive than anybody else in the whole world. Can this be vanity? No! Nature is lovely and rejoices in her loveliness. I am a child of Nature, and take after my mother."

I have a friend who lives with her boyfriend in Berwyn. Do you know General Patton?

I don't think so?
    "Yes, I am indeed beautiful! Sometimes I sit and wonder, in my artless Japanese way, why it is that I am so much more attractive than anybody else in the whole world. Can this be vanity? No! Nature is lovely and rejoices in her loveliness. I am a child of Nature, and take after my mother."

Oh. He's been part of the local scene for a couple of decades and has his own staging company running out of his backyard in Berwyn. Seems like everyone knows him one way or another.

old school

massive attack and devotchka this weekend, soulD.
    Lick an orange, it tastes like an orange. Lick a pineapple, it tastes like a pineapple. Go ahead, try it. Try some more. The strawberries taste like strawberries. The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Come along, come along.

I'm planning on getting my MA ticket today at the Vic box office, just as soon as I show someone around my apartment. Also planning on hitting Jeff Mills at the Smart Bar after that show.

old school

word

i'm sure you are aware of this site...

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...Section=807941