Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

I'm listening to the Clancy Brothers right now and all I can think about is how awesome the sing-alongs are going to be. Especially on "A More Perfect Union." This is going to be fun.

thestripe

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

YES. I am also preparing my vocal chords for the collective "Fuck You" during Fear and Loathing.

kind of embarrassed to say that i am just now discovering these guys. saw this thread a bunch, but for some reason was always too lazy to click on it. it took the lineup for me to get off my ass and check them out. now i am kicking myself for not doing it sooner. damn they are good. cant wait to see this shit.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

I have a dream of going crazy with Union and Confederate hats on all of us. Come on people, show your support. 10 bucks and lower on amazon.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

A kid in my class today was lamenting that there is no "kick ass modern rock n' roll." I immediately played him parts of The Monitor and he balked, saying, "I'm talking more Led Zeppelin rock 'n roll."

UGH/Any suggestions?

EDIT: And the Confederate/Union hats is an awesome idea

Quote Originally Posted by JelloPuddingChat View Post
    I have a dream of going crazy with Union and Confederate hats on all of us. Come on people, show your support. 10 bucks and lower on amazon.
    <3<3<3<3 Love this idea.

And Aaron, my suggestion would be enforced castration for the guy. Either that or show him Tame Impala. My classic-rock-only friends love them.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Maybe some Black Mountain or Wolfmother? Wolfmother got annoying quick but I still dig on Black Mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    A kid in my class today was lamenting that there is no "kick ass modern rock n' roll." I immediately played him parts of The Monitor and he balked, saying, "I'm talking more Led Zeppelin rock 'n roll."

UGH/Any suggestions?
    He's a lost cause at this point.

The only good music was made before now. All music made now is inferior to music from the past, specifically the past that our parents can romanticize.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    The only good music was made before now. All music made now is inferior to music from the past, specifically the past that our parents can romanticize.
    QFT. Titus Andronicus is just about one of the only bands that I would consider amazing that is still making music.

I hope they play the mojave or something at 10pm and get a nice full set.

The only good music was made before now.
    I had this conversation with a good friend. He said, basically, that all the good rock music was made in the 60s and 70s and he couldn't think of anything modern that could compare. Then I played him some stuff and he began to develop a different viewpoint. This was in 1989.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I was being completely sarcastic, for the record. Did that really not translate? I can't stand when people think today's music and today's bands somehow aren't making viable contributions to the hallowed pantheon of Rock.

Coachella Junkie psycobetabuckdown's Avatar

How do you convince someone who thinks Foreigner and Journey were the best it ever got that Free Energy and Titus Andronicus are worth a shit? Pretty hard sell. Probably a waste of time.

edit: also, what gonshman said
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Death Cab for Cutie/Magik Magik Orchestra
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Continuing my point: In my opinion, it is so easy to romanticize the past and its music because we have special memories associated with music from then. That time we were roadtripping with our family and such-and-such song was on the radio, the time we kissed that girl for the first time to [fill-in-the-blank], blahblahblah. Or we love the stuff our parents played all the time when we were five, or the music our uncle always talked about being great when we were just starting to listen to stuff. Whatever. It is so easy to get stuck in the mindset that the past was better and the present is inferior.

I also think it is important to note that stuff gets added to the pantheon over time. There are rarely instant classics. Rock writers love to romanticize albums, just like casual music fans (ostensibly because they are music fans too, at their core.) When there is time to look back and frame things in some broad context or grand narrative, people step in and rewrite history. I remember reading reviews of Nevermind from the time it came out, and very few (well, none that I read at least) came out and said "This is a top-10 all-time album." Very few even said "This is an album-of-the-year candidate." Most were fairly average. Once the events of that year took place, it was easy to rewrite the history of that album and make it into something it wasn't at first glance.

I'm kinda just writing this as I go, so excuse me if it doesn't appear well thought out.
    Last edited by bballarl; 01-26-2011 at 07:57 PM.

Also, In Utero is better
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Hahaha

Why are you even bothering talking to someone who thinks Foreigner and Journey were the best it ever got?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Well this is hypothetical. I do know a guy who has recently gotten into a bunch of trashy 70s cock rock. One of those guys who switches from techno, to rock, to rap, back to techno, and then to classic rock throughout the years. We all know one of those guys, right?

In this guy's case obviously I wouldn't bother trying to get him into anything.
    Ron Paul 2012!

Upcoming Shows:
    Four Tet
    Coachella 4/20-4/22
    Radiohead
    some other bands

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    I was going over the lineup last night and realized that this band, and "A More Perfect Union" specifically, is my most anticipated moment of the whole weekend.

Agreed, without a doubt.

None of us shall be saved, every man will be a slave

Thanks for this thread! Listening to them for the first time tonight and loving all of it.

Well it's allllllllllllllll right, the way that you live, it's all right, the way that you live.

I also think it is important to note that stuff gets added to the pantheon over time. There are rarely instant classics. Rock writers love to romanticize albums, just like casual music fans (ostensibly because they are music fans too, at their core.) When there is time to look back and frame things in some broad context or grand narrative, people step in and rewrite history. I remember reading reviews of Nevermind from the time it came out, and very few (well, none that I read at least) came out and said "This is a top-10 all-time album." Very few even said "This is an album-of-the-year candidate." Most were fairly average. Once the events of that year took place, it was easy to rewrite the history of that album and make it into something it wasn't at first glance.
    This gets at the problem I have with Pitchfork.

in the 70s Rolling Stone set out to create an 'official canon' of what was great rock music and what was not. Punk shook that up a bit but at the time RS (or at least, some RS staff writers) were still agile enough to deal with that, and as a result, by the mid 80s (or so) the RS canon was the officially 'accepted' book on what was good and what wasn't.

And then, as we know, somewhere after Nirvana, but not too long after, RS got off the train but the train kept going and almost all current modern 'good' music passed it by. They try, bless them, but god damn they can't keep up for shit.

At this point the lesson ought to be, IMO: it's a stupid and pointless exercise to try to develop and maintain some sort of unofficial 'canon' at all. No matter how smart or cool or hip or aware a person is, eventually it's going to pass them by, and the list will be out of date.

Enter Pitchfork. Pitchfork is the new Rolling Stone. Their word carries the most weight, their Top 100 or 500 or 5,000,000 lists are gospel, and one-tenth of a point in a rating can change status and opinions. They're the shit and they know it.

But, it's going to pass them by one day. I guarantee it. It's going to happen. When that day comes, in 2025 or something, there will be crowds of 40-50 year old former hipsters telling their kids that today's music sucks, that there really hasn't been a great album made since Animal Collective were at their peak.

/tangent
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Well said, Tom. Well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

I sort of agree with the idea that todays rock isnt as good as it was back then...or maybe just different I guess. But to me, it's not as good. While there are many great rock bands out today, they just dont posses the same combo of talent, energy, diversity and creativity/songwriting ability that they had back then. And I didnt grow up with that music either, I grew up in the 90's so thats where all my special memories lie, like pearl jam, nirvana, etc. But I just dont think there are any bands out today that compare to the awesomeness of Zeppelin, or Sabbath, or Floyd. Radiohead might be a modern day Floyd, but there are no bands that can play good ole fashion guitar rock anthems like Zep. MMJ is the closest I've seen to that, especially their live shows, but they are still a ways off. And Titus Andronicus is a great band and all, but to even compare them to Zeppelin is a joke.
    Let's go on a livin' spree!

Quote Originally Posted by 4Ransom View Post
    the awesomeness of Zeppelin, or Sabbath, or Floyd.
    two of those three bands suck though.

there are no bands that can play good ole fashion guitar rock anthems like Zep
    Can you explain to me what you mean here? I am confused. To me, it seems like you are saying rock was at its best when Led Zeppelin was writing "rock anthems." Well, if bands continued to just write "rock anthems," wouldn't these rock anthems eventually get boring and progressively more generic?
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Jack White never wrote a song as stupid as "Stairway to Heaven"

Exactly, because Zeppelin were about bombast and being "big" and had ridiculous lyrics that were cool maybe, but you couldn't really get too invested in a story about gollum and Mordor or squeezing lemons, whereas Titus Andronicus, especially on the Monitor, is focused on intensely personal lyrics and music with less punch and more motion. Or something like that, which is basically to say that Zeppelin was a band that came before Punk and it shows, and Titus wear their punk influence proudly.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Also, does anyone over 14 and under 45 still listen to Led Zeppelin on a regular basis? Don't get me wrong, Zeppelin are great and they are legends, Page is unarguably one of the best guitarists of all time, and I would jump at the chance to see them if they ever reunited. But really?

EDIT: This was probably a really stupid thing to say... but I already wrote it so I am just gonna go with it.

I will listen to IV occasionally. Like, maybe once a year. I still really really love "When the Levee Breaks".