Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

I was just about to post that and exclaim....NOOOOOOOO....

Awful news.

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

They've been a rotating band for years though. It's a bummer to see the only other constant member take off, but Patrick's still the driving force, and it doesn't sound like the bass player's completely out of the picture, as he'll still be doing their design work. They're not enemies; they are friends
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I was just looking for a reason to say

I FUCKING DESPAIR

Fuck i'm frustrated freakin' out something fierce!

I wasn't born to die like a dog I was born to die just like a MAAAAAN!
    Last edited by faxman75; 01-03-2011 at 01:01 PM.

Look on the bright side. They're touring with The Pogues. Must go.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Look on the bright side. They're touring with The Pogues. Must go.
    Not the bright side if the tour isn't coming to where you live

They haven't played Houston since early 2009 (opening too for some band), and admittedly I hadn't heard of them back then, didn't hear them until the Monitor. I'd much rather see them live post-Monitor anyway since I greatly prefer it to their debut.

God they need to come here.

So I didn't read the whole thread to see if someone's already said this, and I only listened to the first album, but why does the lead singer sound uncomfortably like mid-career Conor Oberst? I literally had to google whether or not it was some new side project.
    I was always playing it for friends in my car and a lot of them came to the same conclusion.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

Some people see it, some don't think there's much of a resemblance. The comparison has been made to Desaparecedos, which I think is more apt, but I also think Patrick gets more wild with his singing and puts more drive into his voice. Similar sound though.

I consider myself a Bright Eyes fan (Lifted, Wide Awake It's Morning) and it didn't even occur to me that Stickles might sound like Oberst until people pointed it out here. So then I listened to The Monitor again with that specific comparison in mind and I only heard a resemblance in a very few places on the album. Oberst has that quaver in his voice that I don't hear from Stickles.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

I should download the new album and see if I can get into it. They definitely have songwriting chops.
    1 Coachella before I got sober, 7 since. I support both versions. If you wanna do the sober version, roll with us:
    Click Soberchella 2013 for meeting details
    -------------------------------

thestripe

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I consider myself a Bright Eyes fan (Lifted, Wide Awake It's Morning) and it didn't even occur to me that Stickles might sound like Oberst until people pointed it out here. So then I listened to The Monitor again with that specific comparison in mind and I only heard a resemblance in a very few places on the album. Oberst has that quaver in his voice that I don't hear from Stickles.
    The soft singing in the opening minutes of "Fear and Loathing" had me thinking it was Connor at first. But the Monitor doesn't hold the same comparison.

I love listening to this album while walking or biking. I'll love hearing these songs even more in a hot sweaty tent in April.

Seriously. I am so excited to see them again. I caught a few songs at Pitchfork in 2008, but didn't really start liking them until after seeing them at Pitchfork last year. I've been obsessed with The Monitor for the last month or so, maybe two now.

I hadn't listened to The Airing of Grievances in awhile, and it's incredible how much they grew up after this album. It reminds me of Land Speed Record by Husker Du in how it takes a weak production value and uses that almost as an added layer of distortion and confusion.

"Fear & Loathing in Mahwah, NJ" still might be their best song.

I was all set to agree with you there and then I listened to The Monitor this morning and I'm pretty sure even the least-most song on here is better than anything on The Airing of Grievances. Piece of pure genius, The Monitor.

FRIDAY!!! #2 band of the whole weekend after DFA 1979.
    The Replacements - OutKast - The Knife - HAIM - Bonobo - Afghan Whigs - The Glitch Mob - The Cult - Shlohmo - Waxahatchee - Wye Oak

Queens of the Stone Age - Pharrell Williams - Pet Shop Boys - Empire of the Sun - Fatboy Slim - Nas - Kid Cudi - Warpaint - Mogwai - Foxygen - The Dismemberment Plan - Blood Orange

Arcade Fire - Beck - Neutral Milk Hotel - Disclosure - Motorhead - Duck Sauce - Little Dragon - Toy Dolls - Fishbone - Superchunk - Daughter - Surfer Blood

"Fear & Loathing in Mahwah, NJ" still might be their best song title, though.

I'm looking forward to singing along with you guys at Coachella.

thestripe

I will be there. And I'm still on "Fear and Loathing..." to be their best song.

Quote Originally Posted by bballarl View Post
    I'm looking forward to singing along with you guys at Coachella.
    it's all right, the way that you live, it's all right the way that you live.

I think the best part in "Fear and Loathing" is yelling "FUCK YOU!!!!" super loud with a bunch of other people. Life's simple pleasures, you know?

I've been so obsessed with The Monitor lately that I kind of forgot that it took me a while to get into it. Recommended them to a friend yesterday and he reported back today that they were just okay... going to have to start suggesting to get somewhat familiar with the album and then check out some live videos, that is what converted me. My #1 act for friday hands down.

A lot of people can't get past the vocals at first. I think when you really have something to say and you can't sing, that you should do it anyway. A big part of making great sing along songs is how great the lyrics are and how much you believe in them. This is a big reason why I love Titus and The Hold Steady. Amazing lyricists.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

If someone had shown me youtube vids of this band playing live rather than gave me the album The Monitor to listen to or create a thread like this one, I would have kicked them in the shin. 99% of the youtube clips out there sound like absolute ass. The album however is fucking brilliant.

Hmm... I have never watched any live videos of them online, was just assuming there might be something decent. The album is of course what I have been pushing, along with how awesome they are live. I doubt my friend listened to the whole album, I'll get him a copy tomorrow.

Having seen those clips i'm excited for the show because I know there is no way possible they will sound worse. The couple of decent clips I did find were from their show in Dublin back in November I think. It's one of the last or more recent live gigs they have played. This tells me they just get better and better and while listening to the album I have the strong desire to scream along with a few thousand people at times so there's that too.

Watch the clips on Pitchfork.tv and you'll get good sound and good performance. And this set is going to set an early high bar for the weekend. One of the few absolutely cannot miss sets.

I didn't realize everyone hated his voice so much. I mean its not great but I think it fits well and I actually like it, at least for this album.

Also I loved the album on first listen. And have grown to love it even more since then. Favorite album of 2010.

Still haven't gotten into their first album as much though, but I haven't listened much

I was going over the lineup last night and realized that this band, and "A More Perfect Union" specifically, is my most anticipated moment of the whole weekend.