Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

It was kind of a strange set in Phoenix tonight. They played a TON of new material, which all sounded great, but the rest of the set list was kind of weird. Patrick was getting really irritated with two drunk assholes upfront and you could tell it was distracting him. He scolded them between songs a few times and then towards the end of the set he picked up a PBR tall can a threw it at them. The biggest disappointment was that they didn't play "Battle of Hampton Roads", they seemed like they rushed through the last 3-4 songs because they were short on time. Overall it was probably my least favorite of the 5 times I have seen them, but it was still a Titus Andronicus show, so it was pretty good. I am extremely excited to hear the new album, those new songs slay.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Just home from the same set.. yeah, my first comment is "what a weird set list". mark faxman had the same comment, there was a long stretch where we didn't recognize anything. then they rushed a bunch of Monitor songs at the end as if it was their greatest hits medley.

I didn't see Patrick throw the can but I certainly heard him bitching about those guys.

Also when did they become a four piece? when i saw them in Nov and Dec last year they were still 5. I missed the news about the one guitarist getting fired/quitting/getting sick/OD'ing/dying/whatever. Didn't really matter, they still sounded good, but I was surprised.

4th time seeing them, better than Coachella 11, not as good as the two late last year. but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

It felt like an off night. A late add Lemuria opened. I felt the sound was tinny all night. Some asshat was screaming 'one more' half way through the set to which Patrick told the guy to chill they had 10-12 more. Even the songs from the monitor sounded off a bit. I thought the drummer was trying to read Patrick a few times but came up empty. Just an odd show. I had a great time but it definitely wasn't up to the par of some of these Cali. reviews. I wanna say we had 3 off the monitor and maybe 4 off of Local Business? No Ecce Homo tho.

Some of my friends in SD went to the show and they said it was the worst show they've ever seen Titus play. It was also a short set(short for Titus) at 1 hour and 20-30 minutes. When I saw them at the Constellation Room they played for 2 hours at least, maybe even an extra 10-15 minutes. Maybe Titus wasn't feeling into it from the start? I've noticed Patrick gets grumpy when shit doesn't go his way. It seems to affect his mood a bit too much for someone playing music up on stage. I mean I get the whole drunk asshole talking through a set, but at a certain point as a professional you gotta ignore that shit, or figure out a different way to handle it(Craig from Hold Steady is usually making jokes of the situation, and it seems to go over well).

Quote Originally Posted by Sushov23 View Post
    Some of my friends in SD went to the show and they said it was the worst show they've ever seen Titus play. It was also a short set(short for Titus) at 1 hour and 20-30 minutes. When I saw them at the Constellation Room they played for 2 hours at least, maybe even an extra 10-15 minutes. Maybe Titus wasn't feeling into it from the start? I've noticed Patrick gets grumpy when shit doesn't go his way. It seems to affect his mood a bit too much for someone playing music up on stage. I mean I get the whole drunk asshole talking through a set, but at a certain point as a professional you gotta ignore that shit, or figure out a different way to handle it(Craig from Hold Steady is usually making jokes of the situation, and it seems to go over well).
    The crowd sucked ass, when they'd play quieter parts of their songs all you could hear is people talking in the back. the sound wasn't good either. I still had a fun time being in the front but if you were in the back I could see why they'd think that. I saw them in Eagle Rock the night before and it was 10x better, the crowd there was way better too. I can see why he gets pissed off though and I would do the same.

8/22 Slint @ El Rey
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    The biggest disappointment was that they didn't play "Battle of Hampton Roads".
    I don't think they've played that at once this tour.

8/22 Slint @ El Rey
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

All of the past shows just sound lame in comparison to the show I saw in Santa Ana at the beginning of the Local Business tour, where they were performing at the level my dad (or Tomaz ) have described The Who live as back in the day.

I hope the rock opera gains them the right kind of attention, its a thin line to walk for many bands.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    I don't think they've played that at once this tour.
    Yup. It seems all the shows this tour have been closer to an hour and half on average, as opposed to 2 hours like in the past.

That sucks the show last night was such a bummer to so many of you. While the show I saw a week or so ago was pretty short, it was my favourite time I have ever seen them. I guess every band has their off night.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

The show last night was by no means a 'bummer'. I enjoyed it. The crowd didnt bother me and i was expecting ~ 1 1/2 hr show, even though we got 2+ last december in NY. It was odd so watch one of my favorite bands and not know what they were playing half the time, however.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

So were they new songs or songs from the first album that y'all ain't as familiar with?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

A combination of both I would say. There were a couple I recognized from previous shows that aren't on Local Business or The Monitor.

That means you need to listen to The Airing of Grievances more. Because that album is fantastic.

So were they new songs or songs from the first album that y'all ain't as familiar with?
    They only played 3 off of Airing of Grievances last night. They must have played at least 7-8 songs I have never heard before that I assume are new.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Wow. That's pretty killer. I would go nuts seeing that much new music, even if it was a somewhat underwhelming show.

The new stuff was probably the highlight of the evening.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

That means you need to listen to The Airing of Grievances more. Because that album is fantastic.
    I've listened to it a few times. I don't like it. I absolutely enjoyed the show last night. As always I was in the jump around and bump into each other group the whole night. I look forward to seeing them again too. The crowd was small. Maybe 200 people. It was significantly less than their show last November at the same venue. They played the Crescent ballroom which is one of the best in Phoenix and this was the worst I had ever heard it sound. In fact after a dozen shows or more there it's the only show that the sound has bothered me.

Quote Originally Posted by cutterbutter View Post
    All of the past shows just sound lame in comparison to the show I saw in Santa Ana at the beginning of the Local Business tour, where they were performing at the level my dad (or Tomaz ) have described The Who live as back in the day.

I hope the rock opera gains them the right kind of attention, its a thin line to walk for many bands.
    The one with Metz and Ceremony? Yeah that show is top 3 of 2012 for me. Holy fuck what a night that turned out to be. That was the night someone told him something about his beard, and he replied I moved on, so should you. hahaha.

They only played 3 off of Airing of Grievances last night. They must have played at least 7-8 songs I have never heard before that I assume are new.
    The only song titles I was able to get were the ones he told us.. "Look Alive", which is more hardcore than anything they've done and lasts about 45 seconds, and "Look Alike", which is about conformity. and I think we got "Stranded On My Own" as well. and then a bunch of songs that I couldn't figure out.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    The crowd sucked ass, when they'd play quieter parts of their songs all you could hear is people talking in the back. the sound wasn't good either. I still had a fun time being in the front but if you were in the back I could see why they'd think that. I saw them in Eagle Rock the night before and it was 10x better, the crowd there was way better too. I can see why he gets pissed off though and I would do the same.

I saw them at the same venue last year and I think the venue is actually a big part of the problem. It's right in the middle of the suburbs, and t seems to be a place where all the local teenagers who live in the neighborhood just hang out, regardless of who's playing. They only ended up playing about an hour and 15 minutes in the middle of a tour in which they were averaging 2 hour sets, and they still had 30 minutes until curfew - and I'm sure it was because the crowd fucking sucked. i was actually really surprised to see them booked there again - i can't imagine why trhey'd want to do that.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I got a feeling instantly that it wasn't going to a good show when Patrick started the show saying something simliar to, "ugh two hours ago i was in sweatpants relaxing and here I am now. So let's be a respectful and mellow crowd".
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Jack White @ Bill .... 08/23/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

Yeah, over the 2 times I saw them this week they played everything off of TAOG except Arms Against Atrophy. I loved it.

8/22 Slint @ El Rey
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

The new stuff was probably the highlight of the evening.
    Same. The new album is gonna be fucking great.

8/22 Slint @ El Rey
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I saw them at the same venue last year and I think the venue is actually a big part of the problem. It's right in the middle of the suburbs, and t seems to be a place where all the local teenagers who live in the neighborhood just hang out, regardless of who's playing. They only ended up playing about an hour and 15 minutes in the middle of a tour in which they were averaging 2 hour sets, and they still had 30 minutes until curfew - and I'm sure it was because the crowd fucking sucked. i was actually really surprised to see them booked there again - i can't imagine why trhey'd want to do that.
    Yeah I was thinking that too. Especially since the show was part of the San Diego Music Thing... I heard quite a few people say they didn't know who the band was and they were just there to check out a show.

8/22 Slint @ El Rey
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The only song titles I was able to get were the ones he told us.. "Look Alive", which is more hardcore than anything they've done and lasts about 45 seconds, and "Look Alike", which is about conformity. and I think we got "Stranded On My Own" as well. and then a bunch of songs that I couldn't figure out.
    They played one called Fatal Flaw too.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

oh yes we did. that's right.

Gah I've never spent more than $40 for a pre-order but I'm really tempted to get the Super VIP edition of LP4 ($100).

8/22 Slint @ El Rey
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

While I in New York this past weekend, I surprised my stepdad (turning 67 and Titus Andronicus is his favorite band) with Patrick's singing telegram as an early birthday present. Needless to say, it was fucking awesome. Patrick and I exchanged emails/texts over the past few months and finally worked out that he would come by the hotel around 5pm on Friday afternoon. Sure enough, a few minutes past 5, Patrick came bumbling down the street, guitar case and a small amp in hand and him, some of my friends that wanted to be there for the set, and I all exchanged greetings. We got in the elevator and headed up to my stepdad's hotel room.

While in the elevator, Patrick asked me what artists my stepdad liked to which I responded "Van Morrison". So we knocked on the door of my stepdad's hotel room and the moment that my stepdad opened the door, he instantly recognized Patrick and was utterly speechless. It was a great moment. Patrick then proceeded to setup his equipment and began with 'Brown Eyed Girl' before randomly transitioning in to 'Crocodile Rock'. Patrick then sang Happy birthday. After Patrick finished happy birthday, my stepdad abruptly yelled out "FOOD FIGHT!" and Patrick fucking played 'Food Fight' in its entirety!

As a big Titus Andronicus fan, this was seriously just a surreal experience. Patrick is a really nice dude and we all chatted for a bit afterwards. Titus Andronicus Forever.

That has to be one of the most awesome stories and photo I've ever seen!!! Seriously, so cool.

8/22 Slint @ El Rey
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Holy fuck. That is so rad and so awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

It is nice to know I am not the world's oldest Titus Andronicus fan.

also, that story is fucking amazing. did you tip him?