Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425 LastLast

Thread: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

It is nice to know I am not the world's oldest Titus Andronicus fan.

also, that story is fucking amazing. did you tip him?
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Default Re: TomAz's Official, Ugly, Totally Threatening Titus Andronicus Misery Slog

The cost of the telegram was $50. We also offered him a beer, which was declined.

man o man.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

TomAz want me to get you a titusgram in exchange for future spicy pie n beer.We can get patrick to sing a Clash song too while at it
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

So, Titus Andronicus added a show in Austin. Super short notice. Can't wait to hear the new material!

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    So, Titus Andronicus added a show in Austin. Super short notice. Can't wait to hear the new material!
    Make sure to report back, I'm curious to see if they have improved from the Phoenix set last month.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    Make sure to report back, I'm curious to see if they have improved from the Phoenix set last month.
    Will do. How does the new material sound in comparison to their previous work?

And they also added a last minute date next Thursday in New Orleans ! 150 person capacity bar. Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    TomAz want me to get you a titusgram in exchange for future spicy pie n beer.We can get patrick to sing a Clash song too while at it
    New York and New Jersey only. Otherwise I'd say hell yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    Will do. How does the new material sound in comparison to their previous work?
    More hardcore.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    More hardcore.
    Oh, good. While I liked Local Business, I wasn't a fan of how they toned it down. "Upon Viewing Oregon's Landscape With the Flood of Detritus" is still one of my favorites, though.

Titus Andronicus put on an absolute killer set tonight. I was somewhat worried after reading reviews of their most recent shows... but hot damn. The crowd wasn't big by any means, but for what it lacked in size was more than made up with craziness and enthusiasm. A lot of crowd surfing, stage diving, the crowd were singing along with almost ever song, etc. The new material sounded fantastic, too. Really fun night.

Saw Titus this past Thursday with a crowd that could not have consisted of more than 50 people. They opened with 'Four Score and Seven' and went directly into 'A More Perfect Union'. Great way to start out the gig. Patrick constantly was complimenting the venue and seemed very happy with the show, which was surprising considering the weak turnout. Show was announced less than a week before and was poorly promoted even after it was announced, so I guess it was to be expected. They played a lot of the slower, lengthier songs and 4-5 new ones. The new songs seriously sounded fucking incredible and I can't wait to hear more.

Stereogum ran a new interview with Patrick today. It's pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

The Titus van pulled up late to the club, since the band has had to deal with a tour-life calamity that I never would’ve even considered. (He’s asked me not to report it, but rest assured that it’s fucking disgusting.)
    ...?

That article includes the best summation of TA's work to date I've yet to read:

Titus Andronicus have released three albums. Two of them, 2008′s The Airing Of Grievances and 2012′s Local Business, are very good punk rock records. The other is arguably the best straight-up rock album that any band has released this decade. It’s a searching, scorching, swooping, diving, all-out motherfucker of a record. It’s a deeply ambitious piece of work that actually makes good on that ambition, and does it without trying its hand at a half-dozen different sounds. Its scope and approach are way different from what you’ll find on the two other Titus albums, and it really belongs in a category by itself. Stickles, I think, should be proud that he made it, proud of every last person he moved with that album.
    I've always had the sense -- from previous interviews, and this one also -- that Patrick's instinct is to distrust that sort of acclaim. Probably a combination of stuff he's seen lauded and deified in the past that either he thinks is shit, or that the adulation is so overbearing as to be insufferable and nauseating (he does come from Springsteenland). That plus his own neuroses/self-worth issues. I mean I'm just guessing here, I don't know the guy.
    Last edited by TomAz; 12-19-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Patrick was interviewed on Marc Maron's WTF podcast. Currently listening to it and it's great.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episod...trick_stickles

Thank you soo much for posting that.

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

I cracked open a beer and sat in my room for more than a hour straight just listening to that. I fucking love Patrick. Towards the end when he started talking about mental illness the last year in his life, I could really relate to that. And one of my best friends who suffers from Manic Depression. I'm extra excited for record #4 now.

8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

I wish I would've known before who Marc Maron is because I was at that show in Eagle Rock! It was so great.

8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Favorite podcast, favorite band. I'm saving this for a long drive.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Yeah I was at the a Eagle rock show but only recently became aware of Maron myself and his IFC show. I fucking love how Maron sets up the band and Patrick before hand. Every sentiment I have about Titus is expressed by him. Stickles has such an interesting practical analysis towards many issues in life and the world. Yeah he's human and fucks up as well but he's all about the common man. I dig it.

Agreed. I was looking at the comments (dumb, I know) and people were complaining that he was "pretentious" blahblahblah. How the fuck was any of that pretentious? If anything quite the opposite, one of the most earnest and honest interviews I've heard.

8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

Yeah. I thought the same thing. I guess he can rub people the wrong way by the way he speaks and carries himself since he has a literary take on most every subject and his analogies are poetic. It really hurts someone coming in cold and not knowing his music and background. We're Titus fans and we know his music, pain and struggles. I didn't find it pretentious at all. Maybe people were mad since it wasn't exactly funny and they were expect laughs from that podcast most of the time. Oh well. I fucking loved it. I find Stickles similar to Rollins. I can just hear either of them talk all day.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Agreed. I was looking at the comments (dumb, I know) and people were complaining that he was "pretentious" blahblahblah. How the fuck was any of that pretentious? If anything quite the opposite, one of the most earnest and honest interviews I've heard.
    I listened to it as well and loved it however, it rubbed me the wrong way at points as well. I don't think hes pretentious I just felt he came off a bit arrogant at points which was annoying. He is still really young and it seemed as though he knew everything already and knew how the world worked. for example the part about the rules that just don't apply to him, I really wanted to scream at him shut the fuck up, but I also thought he had some very amazing and honest things to say as well. My last thing; the marc maron podcast isn't really a comedy podcast so people were probably not upset about that part.
    you are soooooooo good lookin

first, thanks for posting this. very insightful and thought-provoking discussion.

I think Stickles is bright young man who makes great music and has a shitload of really interesting ideas, most of which have merit. I expect his perspective will evolve as time goes on, as it does with all intelligent people. Which is a way of saying I agree with gillster, at least in many respects. But I love the guy and I love his brain and his music and his art. He's the most interesting person in music today.

also, I'd never heard of Marc Maron before this. loved it. guy reminds me of me, if i were less of an asshole.
    Last edited by TomAz; 01-18-2014 at 08:59 PM.

It looks like Patrick and the boys are back in the studio, they posted a bunch of photos of their first few days recording. Patrick looks healthier than he did when I saw him last year, it looks like he has put on a little weight.
    Last edited by LickTheLizzard; 05-04-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

Patrick thinks Courtney killed Kurt.

http://www.spin.com/articles/titus-a...obain-twitter/

April 30 2014, 2:07 PM ET

Being a fan of Titus Andronicus, Nirvana, and Hole all at once just got a little awkward.

The New Jersey-repping band fronted by Patrick Stickles has given the world many things: the Civil War-themed E Street-punk catharsis of 2010's The Monitor; the street-fighting scene commentary and deeply personal confessions of 2012's Local Business; and a whole lot of fist-pump-worthy live shows in between. Stickles even wrote an epic SPIN review of the Replacements' first show in 22 years. He's super talented.

The man is a bit more caustic on Twitter, though — okay, maybe more than a bit — and Kurt Cobain's recently released death-scene note mocking his wedding vows to Courtney Love has led the Titus frontman's thinking to a dark place. As Stereogum points out, he has accused Love of killing her late husband, or at least faking the prevously seen suicide note. They're both ugly claims, and we have no truck with either of them.

He wrote:

"Okay, as long as we're talking, that note that the Seattle cops revealed that Kurt wrote, re: C Love? #OMO it says everything we always knew. lso, I think it proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Courtney either, A ) had Kurt killed, or B ) forged fake 'suicide note,' ditched real. I also want to go on the record saying that Kurt absolutely 100% wrote the songs on 'Live Through This,' ala BIG writing 'Hardcore' lyrics. Please don't forget – #OMO stands for 'One Man's Opinion' #SLINGNEWHASH"

Replies to Twitter followers suggest Stickles isn't somehow being sarcastic and mocking conspiracy theorists here, though we're hopeful. He has said Titus Andronicus' next album will be a rock opera inspired by his struggles with manic depression, a condition he discussed in a recent interview with comedian/podcaster Marc Maron. As for Love, she recently released the snarling "Wedding Day."

And as for the note, it's altogether possible it was written by the couple, together, as a joke, any time before or after their actual marriage in February of 1992. Also, it was considered in Seattle PD's recent revisiting of the case, which through newly unearthed evidence re-confirmed Cobain's death as a suicide.

Gonna be getting a bunch of new Titus this year! http://pitchfork.com/news/55755-titu...ded-on-my-own/

New song, and it is great.

Diarrhea Planet 2015